Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

114 145290 Jul 6, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34° - 12°
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Jul 4, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Nitidez, velocidad de enfoque, calidad de construcción y resultados obtenidos.
Cons:
Peso y precio.

Des pués de una utilización mucho más intensiva, puedo decir que con el multiplicador Canon X 1,4, se alcanza un 280mm f4.0 muy superior al 100-400 a 280mm y con una velocidad de enfoque superior a la versión MkI de este mismo objetivo, esto me parece alucinante, estoy encantado con esta maquina de cazar luz y belleza, os enseño algunas retratos realizados con luz natural y un muy leve reflejo de flash de mano, como relleno.

Saludos a todos.

Jul 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Delpartal to your Buddy List
djpapa

Registered: Nov 4, 2009
Review Date: Jul 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,480.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast focus, Super IS
Cons:
image not surprise in 85mm compare with 85L II in f2.8

The image still have alot of room to improve ,but that is the best quality in this range from CANON .

If i 'm not using for work like event and wedding party, i won't buy this becasue this is not my range .

I prefer 100-400 instead for the same heavy lens.

The image very sharp when even handheld ,the IS work amazing .
But the colors contrast are not better than 100L and 16-35L II

The colors style not look like as new design LENS as: 24L II, 85L II,100L's i had.
I can say the tone of colors same as 35L but a tele lens.

If you think the version 1 not sharp enough with IS,then u can think about this, if u want a better "color" contrast like those prime's or the version 1....sorry, keep the old one and chioce some others..

Jul 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add djpapa to your Buddy List
bajaiman

Registered: May 7, 2010
Review Date: Jul 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very very sharp wide open, 4 stops IS, Colours, Contrast, Build quality
Cons:
A tad too expensive and heavy.

This is the sharpest zoom lens I’ve ever used (24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200f4IS). Its as sharp as my 135L wide open, but this lens has better colour and contrast. Altho the AF on the 135L is a tad faster.

The only lens (that I own) that beats 70-200 II in terms of sharpess at F2.8 is the 85LII.

So if you’re in the fence thinking whether to get this lens then I’d say go for it specially if you’re a pixel peeper like me you won’t be dissapointed.

Come on Canon… do your magic on the 24-70L II --- if that ever come out!

Jul 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bajaiman to your Buddy List
wfr2

Registered: May 14, 2003
Review Date: Jun 26, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: see earlier review
Cons:

Should have said all my tsting was wide open.

Jun 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wfr2 to your Buddy List
wfr2

Registered: May 14, 2003
Review Date: Jun 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp as a tack even with 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. IS is superb.
Cons:
Too heavy for vacation travel (keeping my f4 for that)

I have had a lot of lenses over my 45 years of photography and this is the best ever. I am just blown away by how good this lens is. The IS is superb. Best by far of any lens I have ever owned. Tack sharp. I have never gotten really sharp images using my 2x teleconverter until this lens. Amazing effort by Canon. I will still keep my f4 version for vacation travel because it is smaller, lighter and pretty darn sharp too (not with the 2x though) I never used the version 1 so I cannot comment on how signifigant the improvements are but this version 2 is one great lens. BTW, I bought this one used on the Buy and Sell forum (3 months old and like new and under warranty) so I did not pay full retail. My wife just commented that she has never seen me so excited about a new lens. She is correct!

Kenneth Ling

Registered: May 4, 2007
Review Date: Jun 26, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: $2,200.00

Pros: The best tele zoom....
Cons:
slight fall off wide open

Check this out, look at the bird in full size original.
Taken with 5D mark II

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kenneth Ling to your Buddy List
yauyi

Registered: Jul 29, 2007
Review Date: Jun 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This is the Lord of all zoom lens: Extremely sharp (sharper than my 24L MK2, 85 1.8 and 50 1.4), very nice bokeh, great color, super fast AF, 4-stop IS, and built like a tank.
Cons:
It doesn't zoom in to 10mm and refused to extend to 800mm.....sigh. :)

I use this 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 on my 5D2 at f/2.8 exclusively, stopping down did not improve sharpness whatsoever. AF is very fast, AI servo tracking is a pleasure on this lens. The 4-stop IS work as advertised, very well behave and quiet compare to my 4.0 IS, the viewfinder doesn't jump around as much as with the 70-200 2.8 IS MK1 version either.

Compare to the 70-200 2.8 IS MK1....wait...there simply ain't no comparison, None, whatsoever! MK2 has better background blur due to improved MFD, MK2 has faster AF, more advanced IS (4-stop), and most importantly...it is SIGNIFICANTLY sharper than the MK1 that I had for over 2 years. Overall, my MK2 is twice as good as the MK1 I had, but doesn't cost twice as much, what a deal!

Compare to the feather-weight 70-200 4.0 IS (I had a very sharp copy), the MK2 still managed to best it in sharpness across the entire range, and it takes the 1.4x TC better as well. MK2 also doesn't suffer the MFD @200mm problem like both of my 4.0 IS did.

Bottom line: If you are looking for the best zoom lens money can buy, look no further....this is it! No doubt in my mind Canon got ripped off for selling this lens for only $2499! LOL

Jun 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yauyi to your Buddy List
Stono

Registered: Dec 4, 2005
Review Date: Jun 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, extremely sharp for a zoom, high IQ
Cons:
Not any, really

The best zoom I haver ever used. And I have used (and own) a lot, including Canon 70-200 mm F4 IS and Canon 70-200mm f2.8, IS as well as Canon 100-400 mm IS and Canon 16-35mm MkII among others. The new Canon 70-200mm f.2.8 IS MkII is by far the sharpest zoom of them all. Even sharper than quite a few Canon prime lenses. Really impressing! Even sharp (really sharp) when using f2.8. IS is very good too!! - If you try this lens you will not be satisfied with any other 70-200mm! I am not easily impressed having 16 L prime lenses - but this time I really am impressed. Superb zoom lens!

Jun 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stono to your Buddy List
I Simonius

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, resolution
Cons:
price and weight

Was lucky enough to get one of the first batch. Using on the 5D2: If this was lighter and cheaper it would rate a 10 (perfect). i.e. the only things holding it back from being a perfect lens are the price and weight.

IS is very impressive, better than IS on any other lens Iv'e used, with CARE one can HH at very slow speeds and pixel peeping confirms.

Resolution is as good as any other lens in same FLs and better than many. Apart from the obvious fact that it's f2.8 in practice is as good as the 135L, or the 85L at same f-stops, which is saying something. It is certainly better at the long end than the 70-200L f4 IS that I had.

DPreview pretty much hits the nail on the head, and as you can see all the reviews here are (so far) very positive)

In time one can get over the price but the weight is another matter, I really notice this lens after carrying it about all day. Canon has sussed IS, all we need from them now is anti-grav (AG?) Wink

Highly recommended

Jun 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add I Simonius to your Buddy List
GAPR

Registered: Dec 3, 2004
Review Date: Jun 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Increased Sharpness, improved contrast rendition, improved color rendition, improvement in speed for autofocus
Cons:
price

I have used the version I of this lens for the last 7 years. With both of the Canon teleconvertors.

Then, I bought this one, the version II, reluctantly at first because of the price.

Having used it a few times now, I cannot believe I even questioned buying this in the first place.

The improvement in autofocus, contrast rendition, color rendition, autofocus speeds justify it.

And it really becomes apparent when you mate this lens with the 1.4 teleconverter and the 2.0. One word to describe the result: WOW.

Canon, you pulled this one through with jaw dropping amazement. And this was after I read reviews on how well it performs! I was still amazed. I would say more, but I would be repeating what all the other reviewers before me have pointed out.

10/10 Canon. Thanks for a truly remarkable and versatile lens in this zoom range.

Jun 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GAPR to your Buddy List
Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Jun 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Cons:
Peso y precio.

Su calidad sorprende, es realmente una lente comparable a los mejores fijos de Canon en su rango, admite los duplicadores muy, muy bien y con el 1,4 su velocidad de enfoque casi no disminuye y con el X2 se vuelve un poco más lento, pero no más que la versión MkI en una buenas condiciones de luz, muy recomendado.

Algún ejemplo:

Saludos a todos.

Jun 3, 2010
Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: Jun 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! great, effective and not noisy IS, creamy bokeh, extrimely fast AF, finally good hood from Canon
Cons:
Cost is high but represents great new lens

I own 3 versions of Canon 70-200mm lens: 2.8L IS mk1, F4 IS and now mk 2. So far all I could say is bravo for Canon, finally I could see best zoom in any respect in my hands! Canon retouched every part and curve of this lens, lots of improvements in IQ and IS. I am normally primes shooter, however if Canon will release more of zooms this level I will get rid of most of mine primes. My score is 10 and no point less, great product and highly recommended to anyone shooting with Canon.

Jun 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
Kenneth Ling

Registered: May 4, 2007
Review Date: May 31, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very very Sharp, focus extremely fast, nice hood.
Cons:
none.

If you have the money just buy it, I have both 2.8 IS version I and II, it is so much sharper than the version one especially in close range from 70mm-135mm. If you need the best IQ, this is it!

Taken with 5D mark II

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kenneth Ling to your Buddy List
Sea Dragon Rex

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: May 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent IQ, IS works fantastic, AF is fast and accurate, f/2.8.
Cons:

I've used my the 70-200 2.8L non-IS for the past 5 years on my crop sensored Canons and have had loved the images I've captured with it. At times I considered getting the IS version of the lens but just couldn't justify the extra $$ to get IS (the IQ difference between the two is minimal with the edge going to the non-IS imho).

When this lens came out and after reading the reviews (professional and non) I decided to make the leap. I sold my old lens and picked this one up. The AF is very fast and accurate (I can't tell a difference from my 135L) and the IS is amazing (it seems like it is much better than my 70-300 IS and I am able to get sharp images at 200mm, 1/60 that I couldn't do without a monopod on my old 2.8L).

The images I've taken are very sharp and the lens has a warm cast to them. I've only had the lens for three weeks and I'm looking forward to using the lens on my trip to Scandanavia next month.

May 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sea Dragon Rex to your Buddy List
slee915

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: May 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast AF, bokeh, IS, sharpness
Cons:

Super fast AF, the 4-stop IS works as advertized. The lens is very sharp, works great with 1.4x TC. Absolutely no complaint, worth the full price.

May 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slee915 to your Buddy List
XanuFoto

Registered: May 3, 2010
Review Date: May 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely well made, sharp, incredible IS
Cons:
None. Bit heavy but I will stop doing weights and just carry this around. LOL

I planned to buy the Canon f2.8 IS at the beginning of the year. Canon then released the MK 2 and I waited until the price and initial reviews came out. The price was a shock as it was 25% higher than the MK1. But I decided to go ahead with the MK2 as the reviews were consistantly solid. And the reviews were spot on.

I have had the lens for a week and just love it. Would definitely recommend to anybody.

May 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add XanuFoto to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM