Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

110 140598 Jan 26, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34° - 12°
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

zogster

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast sharp focus. IS works great. Tremendous IQ
Cons:
Some vignetting ... more than I expected on my 1ds Mark 3

My primes have been sitting in my bag since I bought this lens. Only complaint is obvious vignetting on my full-frame 1ds Mark 3. It often works to good advantage with portraits, so I shouldn't complain too much. Sharp as a tack, focus is best in class, and IQ is beyond reproach. Swallow hard on the price and take the plunge!

Aug 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zogster to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Aug 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS 4th Generation, Sharp even at 2.8, AF is fast, Great hood, White
Cons:
Cost but you get what you pay for

Well I wasn't going to buy this lens because just wasn't convinced it was any better than the other 70-200's. But finally I couldn't take it any longer so I ordered one and the rest is history. This lens is fantastic better than I was expecting. If I get a OOF shot it's my fault not the lens. I was shocked to see how sharp this lens is at 2.8. I am very happy I bought it and love the new positive hood on this.

Aug 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Review Date: Aug 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,345.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quick Focus, Exceptional sharpens, Perfect Colors ... Build Quality !
Cons:
Maybe a weight ...

This is my new lens for previous IS version. I am so satisfied, that I can not look back over my shoulder ... This is a Fantastic lens.

Aug 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
rd4tile

Registered: Mar 22, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, AF, IS, IQ - the entire package.
Cons:
OK weight/price I guess

Prime level image quality at f2.8 and up at all zoom ranges.

Works with both 1.4X and 2X at supertele performance levels.

Lightning fast AF (fastest I've ever seen)

IS is not only latest generation but fast and quiet as well.

Better hood design.

Other then cost this lens has no real flaws so I guess you get what you pay for (although in my case it replaced 3 other lenses so I ended up with a lighter bag and more $ in the wallet.)

Aug 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rd4tile to your Buddy List
spjdennett

Registered: Nov 4, 2009
Review Date: Jul 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, Build, IS.
Cons:
Wish it was black. Still have to tape up the switches. Cost of Canon gear ever increasing...

Rivals my 200mm f2 and other primes for sharpness. Excellent upgrade from previous lens - Close focus distance, IS, IQ (even with extenders and wide open) all noticeably improved.
Still don't really understand why a lens like this has to be white. People notice it too much and the white paint chips easily. Also the switches on the side are too easily moved by accident - I still have to tape them up, as do most people I know.
Dont hesitate if you have the money and you need a 2.8 70-200mm.

Jul 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add spjdennett to your Buddy List
KKFung

Registered: Dec 19, 2008
Review Date: Jul 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Optically significantly better than the already very good mark I
Cons:
same as mark I, the weight

Since a friend need my MK I so I have a chance to upgrade to MK II, the improvement is obsvious on

1. AF speed

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KKFung to your Buddy List
AGeoJO

Registered: Jul 8, 2003
Review Date: Jul 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, IS, speed of AF
Cons:
Price and nothing else.

Very sharp at wide open without noticable drop off. Definitely better than the first version and it even beats the f/4.0 IS that I thought was really great. The IS is superb. It takes the 1.4X TC without any noticable degradation in IQ. The 2X TC is noticeable although still not bad. Way better in that respect to the first version. Probably it is the best Canon zoom lens at this moment.

A bit heavy but you know that from the get go and the price is on the high side although when I bought the lens it was pretty much widely avaialble and the price started to drop.

Jul 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AGeoJO to your Buddy List
thedigitalbean

Registered: Jun 24, 2005
Review Date: Jul 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness across the frame, nearly absent CA, effective IS, AF, hood
Cons:
Weight, price

An absolute knock-out for Canon. The lens is very sharp even wide open. I find it to be acceptably sharp even at the edges wide open, a remarkable feat for a zoom. CA is virtually absent and the bokeh is a very pleasing. The IS is quite effective and the AF (only tried on 1-series bodies) is very fast.

I also own the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II and I can without any reservation say that the Canon is as good if not better in every way that I've tried so far. This lens has a minor amount of breathing but nowhere near as bad as the Nikon.

In my opinion, this zoom negates the need for primes (to get optimal IQ) in its range except special purposes (like the 100 Macro if you need macro or the 135 f/2 if shooting at f/2 is essential).

Its too bad the price is high as it is but it looks like its starting to come down a little already.

Jul 22, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thedigitalbean to your Buddy List
toma7

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Austria
Review Date: Jul 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, fast AF, sharp even wide open, best IS, very good bokeh, improved lens hood
Cons:
Price, Weight

I tried this lens for a few days, and I must say this might be the best zoom lens out there. No doubt the best lens I have ever used but also the heaviest and priciest. That's why I will keep my 70-200/4L IS even if the image quality of the 70-200/2.8L IS II is a bit better.

A few shots taken with the 5D:

www.pbase.com/image/125222794
www.pbase.com/image/124994689
www.pbase.com/image/126094100

Jul 17, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toma7 to your Buddy List
mohamed alfari

Registered: Sep 5, 2006
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Jul 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,580.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper than some primes, New IS system, Perfect in all other aspects
Cons:
Weight, but manageable.

I had 70-200 f4 IS, it was sharp but having f4 isn't so exciting like f2.8 you get nice bokeh. Also it take 1.4 tc very well, you really can't see any difference with and without. And heard It take the 2x in a good matter but didn't try it because I don't own it.

Jul 17, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mohamed alfari to your Buddy List
musclepics

Registered: Sep 4, 2008
Review Date: Jul 11, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP!, AMAZING CONTRAST, Fastest, most accurate zoom AF of any zoom out there, new improved hood that doesn't scuff, closer focusing distance, built like a tank, best IS of any lens I've used!
Cons:
price

This is now THE best zoom you can buy for any system.

I had owned the 135L for a year, then the 70-200/2.8L lens for two years before getting the 70-200/2.8L IS MkI lens. The 135L and 70-200/2.8L (non-IS) were very good, but the IS version of the lens never made me completely happy after using it for 2 years. AF was hit and miss, with most images being "so-so". Occasionally I would get a really nice, sharp shot, mostly at 200mm, but that was about 15% of shots with the MkI lens.

I had almost considered switching to Nikon because of their new 70-200 VR2, HOWEVER, this new MkII lens from Canon is EVEN BETTER, and kept me with Canon.

The IQ is just so much better than my old MkI version that it's just astounding... much closer (and in some respects better) to my old 135L. Images just are so clean and crisp and nearly 3D. The AF is as fast as the L prime, faster than the old 70-200's and much more accurate. Basically no CA/fringing under any circumstances. The IS is slightly improved over the old lens, and about 1 stop better than the Nikon VR2, although the IS was not the main reason I bought this lens.

IQ in the corners and at the edges is probably better than IQ in the center of the MkI lens. When shooting full body, or 3/4 body shots, with the MkI lens, and with the Nikon VR2, the faces would not be as sharp as the middle, which was sad to see. Now with the new Canon MkII lens, I can shoot WIDE OPEN and the entire subject is prime quality sharp! WOW!

My only niggle is the price... about 80% more than I paid for the MkI only two years ago. It's par for the course now for this lens range for any brand though.

This is THE best zoom lens money can buy... period.

Jul 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add musclepics to your Buddy List
AFC168

Registered: Oct 21, 2008
Review Date: Jul 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,488.88 | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely, positively fantastic. Clear, sharp, great images.
Cons:
Price and weight, but well worth it!

Jul 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AFC168 to your Buddy List
Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Jul 4, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Nitidez, velocidad de enfoque, calidad de construcción y resultados obtenidos.
Cons:
Peso y precio.

Des pués de una utilización mucho más intensiva, puedo decir que con el multiplicador Canon X 1,4, se alcanza un 280mm f4.0 muy superior al 100-400 a 280mm y con una velocidad de enfoque superior a la versión MkI de este mismo objetivo, esto me parece alucinante, estoy encantado con esta maquina de cazar luz y belleza, os enseño algunas retratos realizados con luz natural y un muy leve reflejo de flash de mano, como relleno.

Saludos a todos.

Jul 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Delpartal to your Buddy List
djpapa

Registered: Nov 4, 2009
Review Date: Jul 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,480.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast focus, Super IS
Cons:
image not surprise in 85mm compare with 85L II in f2.8

The image still have alot of room to improve ,but that is the best quality in this range from CANON .

If i 'm not using for work like event and wedding party, i won't buy this becasue this is not my range .

I prefer 100-400 instead for the same heavy lens.

The image very sharp when even handheld ,the IS work amazing .
But the colors contrast are not better than 100L and 16-35L II

The colors style not look like as new design LENS as: 24L II, 85L II,100L's i had.
I can say the tone of colors same as 35L but a tele lens.

If you think the version 1 not sharp enough with IS,then u can think about this, if u want a better "color" contrast like those prime's or the version 1....sorry, keep the old one and chioce some others..

Jul 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add djpapa to your Buddy List
bajaiman

Registered: May 7, 2010
Review Date: Jul 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very very sharp wide open, 4 stops IS, Colours, Contrast, Build quality
Cons:
A tad too expensive and heavy.

This is the sharpest zoom lens I’ve ever used (24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200f4IS). Its as sharp as my 135L wide open, but this lens has better colour and contrast. Altho the AF on the 135L is a tad faster.

The only lens (that I own) that beats 70-200 II in terms of sharpess at F2.8 is the 85LII.

So if you’re in the fence thinking whether to get this lens then I’d say go for it specially if you’re a pixel peeper like me you won’t be dissapointed.

Come on Canon… do your magic on the 24-70L II --- if that ever come out!

Jul 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bajaiman to your Buddy List
wfr2

Registered: May 14, 2003
Review Date: Jun 26, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: see earlier review
Cons:

Should have said all my tsting was wide open.

Jun 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wfr2 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM