Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

117 147618 Sep 3, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34 - 12
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

flowtation

Registered: Jan 4, 2009
Review Date: Oct 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: crazy sharp
Cons:
weight, but hey.

i traded in my 135L for this baby, so that should say something.
i use it for video too.

a test shot;

Oct 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add flowtation to your Buddy List
willis

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Sep 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and contrasty edge to edge at all apertures and FLs, excellent IS, Fast AF, nice bokeh, great bulid, hood's a little nicer.
Cons:
Expensive (though price is falling a little), weight.

No question this is a superb lens. 70-200 f2.8 has been a staple lens for many for a very long time and this is an all round upgrade which most improtantly is bitingly sharp wide open.
I don't own it and am not sure I will because I value lightness a lot. I have become a fast prime and f4 zoom kind of shooter. Having said that if it suited my requirements I've no doubt it's the best available and really enjoyed trying it out. It provides what the f4 IS provides but at f2.8 and without the slight softness at MFD. Highly recommended.

Sep 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add willis to your Buddy List
B Culbertson

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Sep 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper, faster focus, better color rendition than predecessor.
Cons:
Can still accidentally turn off AF and/or IS while handling the lens (although lower profile switches than b/4)

The mark II is a huge improvement over an already good lens. I heard great reviews but was blown away by the sharpness wide open at every focal length. I haven't used it on a full frame body, but it is sharp to the corners on H and C sensors. Low light focus hit rates (even using a 50D) were much improved. It was hard to get an OOF shot until I accidentally switch off AF. This is a great lens that is worth saving your pennies to purchase. Suprisingly it even took quite sharp shots with a 2x extender and focused FAST.

Sep 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add B Culbertson to your Buddy List
Rav13

Registered: Mar 30, 2010
Review Date: Sep 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, colours, AF speed, no CA
Cons:
Weight

I've got a selection of 'L' lenses (16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 35L, 85L MK II, 135L) this lens is awesome! its fast, sharp and IQ is amazing!

This is one lens that has to be in a photographers bag, its like a sniper and the images it produces are a lot better the the mk 1 version. I have to do very little PP, the price is crazy high, but its a must have for sure.

If you have it in your bag, you can use it as a weapon too! Smile

Sep 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rav13 to your Buddy List
photosbyjay

Registered: Oct 12, 2008
Review Date: Sep 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: beautiful creamy bokeh, razor sharp at all apertures, excellent flare control, zero purple fringing
Cons:

I upgraded from the mark I a few weeks ago to this lens.

Here's a recent wedding I shot using it - you should be able to recognise the photos that were made using this lens. http://blog.photosbyjay.com.au/2010/09/tim-and-lindas-wedding-vaucluse-house-tearooms/

- Much creamier, smoother bokeh than the original - almost looks like an f/2 prime. everything has a dreamy look to it with sharpness exactly where you want it. it certainly has a signature look that i have not seen with any other lenses.

- sharp all through the frame, even wide open and at all focal lengths. very impressive. i'm a pixel peeper and was wowed even when viewing at 100%.

- very accurate skin tones - almost no post processing done to the images in the wedding above

- a lot more keepers - the extra stops of IS definitely make a difference especially in fast moving situations (weddings) where you may not have time to stabilise yourself in favour of catching a moment

- the shorter minimum focusing distance of 20cm may not seem like much but it makes a world of difference when shooting in tight spots

- the improved flare resistance is a god send - the wedding above was in mid-afternoon sun with lots of light bouncing around and i still ended up with contrasty, crisp images with flare only when i wanted it (such as the one of the bride walking up the aisle)

It's definitely a lens that will stay in my bag for a long time.

Sep 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photosbyjay to your Buddy List
jcmedeiros

Registered: Jun 30, 2004
Review Date: Sep 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great color and contrast
Cons:
cost

I've owned numerous EF zoom lenses and this one is easily the best. My EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS was a phenomenal lens and I was skeptical when I heard the preliminary glowing reports on its successor. Well, everything everyone has been raving about is true. This lens rivals primes throughout its focal range. Add to this the improved IS, fast as lightning focusing and a much appreciated new hood lock design and you have the new benchmark standard for telephoto zooms.

Meet the new boss: the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

Sep 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jcmedeiros to your Buddy List
malla1962

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast Focus, very sharp @f2.8, new hood,Updated Stabilizer and handles converters like a dream.
Cons:
None at all.

This is the best zoom I have ever had and I have had a lot over the years, in fact all the canon 70-200's.This lens is extremely sharp wide open, focus is lightning fast and the 4 stop stabilizer is near silent.
I have been using it with a 2X and the results shocked me as the images wide open with the 2X are superb.Focus slows down a lot with the 2X if going from the MFD to infinity but if you are somewhere near its fast.

Aug 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add malla1962 to your Buddy List
zogster

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast sharp focus. IS works great. Tremendous IQ
Cons:
Some vignetting ... more than I expected on my 1ds Mark 3

My primes have been sitting in my bag since I bought this lens. Only complaint is obvious vignetting on my full-frame 1ds Mark 3. It often works to good advantage with portraits, so I shouldn't complain too much. Sharp as a tack, focus is best in class, and IQ is beyond reproach. Swallow hard on the price and take the plunge!

Aug 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zogster to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Aug 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS 4th Generation, Sharp even at 2.8, AF is fast, Great hood, White
Cons:
Cost but you get what you pay for

Well I wasn't going to buy this lens because just wasn't convinced it was any better than the other 70-200's. But finally I couldn't take it any longer so I ordered one and the rest is history. This lens is fantastic better than I was expecting. If I get a OOF shot it's my fault not the lens. I was shocked to see how sharp this lens is at 2.8. I am very happy I bought it and love the new positive hood on this.

Aug 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Location: Ethiopia
Review Date: Aug 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,345.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quick Focus, Exceptional sharpens, Perfect Colors ... Build Quality !
Cons:
Maybe a weight ...

This is my new lens for previous IS version. I am so satisfied, that I can not look back over my shoulder ... This is a Fantastic lens.

Aug 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
rd4tile

Registered: Mar 22, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, AF, IS, IQ - the entire package.
Cons:
OK weight/price I guess

Prime level image quality at f2.8 and up at all zoom ranges.

Works with both 1.4X and 2X at supertele performance levels.

Lightning fast AF (fastest I've ever seen)

IS is not only latest generation but fast and quiet as well.

Better hood design.

Other then cost this lens has no real flaws so I guess you get what you pay for (although in my case it replaced 3 other lenses so I ended up with a lighter bag and more $ in the wallet.)

Aug 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rd4tile to your Buddy List
spjdennett

Registered: Nov 4, 2009
Review Date: Jul 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, Build, IS.
Cons:
Wish it was black. Still have to tape up the switches. Cost of Canon gear ever increasing...

Rivals my 200mm f2 and other primes for sharpness. Excellent upgrade from previous lens - Close focus distance, IS, IQ (even with extenders and wide open) all noticeably improved.
Still don't really understand why a lens like this has to be white. People notice it too much and the white paint chips easily. Also the switches on the side are too easily moved by accident - I still have to tape them up, as do most people I know.
Dont hesitate if you have the money and you need a 2.8 70-200mm.

Jul 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add spjdennett to your Buddy List
KKFung

Registered: Dec 19, 2008
Review Date: Jul 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Optically significantly better than the already very good mark I
Cons:
same as mark I, the weight

Since a friend need my MK I so I have a chance to upgrade to MK II, the improvement is obsvious on

1. AF speed

AGeoJO

Registered: Jul 8, 2003
Posts: 12041
Review Date: Jul 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, IS, speed of AF
Cons:
Price and nothing else.

Very sharp at wide open without noticable drop off. Definitely better than the first version and it even beats the f/4.0 IS that I thought was really great. The IS is superb. It takes the 1.4X TC without any noticable degradation in IQ. The 2X TC is noticeable although still not bad. Way better in that respect to the first version. Probably it is the best Canon zoom lens at this moment.

A bit heavy but you know that from the get go and the price is on the high side although when I bought the lens it was pretty much widely avaialble and the price started to drop.

Jul 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AGeoJO to your Buddy List
thedigitalbean

Registered: Jun 24, 2005
Review Date: Jul 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness across the frame, nearly absent CA, effective IS, AF, hood
Cons:
Weight, price

An absolute knock-out for Canon. The lens is very sharp even wide open. I find it to be acceptably sharp even at the edges wide open, a remarkable feat for a zoom. CA is virtually absent and the bokeh is a very pleasing. The IS is quite effective and the AF (only tried on 1-series bodies) is very fast.

I also own the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II and I can without any reservation say that the Canon is as good if not better in every way that I've tried so far. This lens has a minor amount of breathing but nowhere near as bad as the Nikon.

In my opinion, this zoom negates the need for primes (to get optimal IQ) in its range except special purposes (like the 100 Macro if you need macro or the 135 f/2 if shooting at f/2 is essential).

Its too bad the price is high as it is but it looks like its starting to come down a little already.

Jul 22, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thedigitalbean to your Buddy List
toma7

Registered: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Austria
Review Date: Jul 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, fast AF, sharp even wide open, best IS, very good bokeh, improved lens hood
Cons:
Price, Weight

I tried this lens for a few days, and I must say this might be the best zoom lens out there. No doubt the best lens I have ever used but also the heaviest and priciest. That's why I will keep my 70-200/4L IS even if the image quality of the 70-200/2.8L IS II is a bit better.

A few shots taken with the 5D:

www.pbase.com/image/125222794
www.pbase.com/image/124994689
www.pbase.com/image/126094100

Jul 17, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toma7 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM