Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

122 151195 Dec 10, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34° - 12°
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

shaunknee

Registered: Jan 2, 2006
Review Date: Nov 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast & colour
Cons:
High introductory price

This lens is so sharp at 2.8 it causes pixel-peeping overload. I was always disappointed with the first IS version wide open at 200mm. Isn’t this the reason we buy a 2.8 over a 4 ? Indoor sports & events.
Weight difference between first & second version is not noticeable but the hood improvement is. The zoom ring feel was another annoyance in the first version as it always felt gritty. I did find other posts complaining of the same thing. The zoom ring feel on the new lens is as it should be. The IS on the new version has the same start-up jump and “un-pinning” noise but definitely smooths shake a little better.
It cost me $1000 to upgrade. No regrets, other then my 85L purchase a couple of years ago as the 70-200 2.8 II resolves like a prime.
They got this lens right

Nov 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add shaunknee to your Buddy List
Chris Walker

Registered: Mar 29, 2007
Review Date: Oct 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Splendid bokeh, fast autofocus, sharp wide open at 2.8
Cons:
None. The price is worth for what you get.

Currently it's the shapest zoom from Canon you can get. The difference to the first version is amazing. Canon put a lot of improvements into this lens.

The versatility of this superb lens has nearly no limits.

Have a look at this sample pictures: http://photo-walker.ch/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=8%3Aef-70-200mm-f28-l-is-ii&Itemid=160&lang=de

All 7 pictures are taken at f/2.8 and you can download the original pictures size of 16 Megapixel (EOS 1D Mark IV). I tooked it RAW and converted them with Capture One Pro to JPG. I did not sharpen the images!
The quality of this lens is visible on the details of the cat's tongue in the picture IMG_8227, if you zoom it to 100%.

If you can't afford it, save your money until you can afford it. You will defenitely not regret your decision.

Oct 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Walker to your Buddy List
Ody1

Registered: Aug 28, 2008
Review Date: Oct 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp images and great colors
Cons:
Pocketbook still hurts

I traded two non-IS versions (2.8 and 4.0) of this lens to upgrade to this version. I'm extremely pleased with my results so far. Fabulous upgrade for me and highly recommended (if you're willing to afford it).

Oct 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ody1 to your Buddy List
Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Oct 8, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Cuanto más lo utilizo más me gusta.
Cons:
Peso y precio.

Bueno, veo con placer que sigue siendo el zoom más popular de Canon, creo que lo es con todo merecimiento, ahora en combinación con la Canon 1D Mk IV me tiene muy gratamente sorprendido son una pareja maravillosa, aqui una muestra:

Saludos a todos y los que estéis pensando, que es caro, en absoluto, vale más de lo que cuesta.

Oct 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Delpartal to your Buddy List
311erin

Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, crazy clean contrast
Cons:

Unbelievable. Get it. The best Canon lens I have ever used. I also own 24 TSE II, 50 1.2, 85 1.2. I could list negatives about those three lenses but not a single word about this one, I was beyond impressed when I received mine.

Oct 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 311erin to your Buddy List
flowtation

Registered: Jan 4, 2009
Review Date: Oct 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: crazy sharp
Cons:
weight, but hey.

i traded in my 135L for this baby, so that should say something.
i use it for video too.

a test shot;

Oct 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add flowtation to your Buddy List
willis

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Sep 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and contrasty edge to edge at all apertures and FLs, excellent IS, Fast AF, nice bokeh, great bulid, hood's a little nicer.
Cons:
Expensive (though price is falling a little), weight.

No question this is a superb lens. 70-200 f2.8 has been a staple lens for many for a very long time and this is an all round upgrade which most improtantly is bitingly sharp wide open.
I don't own it and am not sure I will because I value lightness a lot. I have become a fast prime and f4 zoom kind of shooter. Having said that if it suited my requirements I've no doubt it's the best available and really enjoyed trying it out. It provides what the f4 IS provides but at f2.8 and without the slight softness at MFD. Highly recommended.

Sep 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add willis to your Buddy List
B Culbertson

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Sep 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper, faster focus, better color rendition than predecessor.
Cons:
Can still accidentally turn off AF and/or IS while handling the lens (although lower profile switches than b/4)

The mark II is a huge improvement over an already good lens. I heard great reviews but was blown away by the sharpness wide open at every focal length. I haven't used it on a full frame body, but it is sharp to the corners on H and C sensors. Low light focus hit rates (even using a 50D) were much improved. It was hard to get an OOF shot until I accidentally switch off AF. This is a great lens that is worth saving your pennies to purchase. Suprisingly it even took quite sharp shots with a 2x extender and focused FAST.

Sep 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add B Culbertson to your Buddy List
Rav13

Registered: Mar 30, 2010
Review Date: Sep 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, colours, AF speed, no CA
Cons:
Weight

I've got a selection of 'L' lenses (16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 35L, 85L MK II, 135L) this lens is awesome! its fast, sharp and IQ is amazing!

This is one lens that has to be in a photographers bag, its like a sniper and the images it produces are a lot better the the mk 1 version. I have to do very little PP, the price is crazy high, but its a must have for sure.

If you have it in your bag, you can use it as a weapon too! Smile

Sep 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rav13 to your Buddy List
photosbyjay

Registered: Oct 12, 2008
Review Date: Sep 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: beautiful creamy bokeh, razor sharp at all apertures, excellent flare control, zero purple fringing
Cons:

I upgraded from the mark I a few weeks ago to this lens.

Here's a recent wedding I shot using it - you should be able to recognise the photos that were made using this lens. http://blog.photosbyjay.com.au/2010/09/tim-and-lindas-wedding-vaucluse-house-tearooms/

- Much creamier, smoother bokeh than the original - almost looks like an f/2 prime. everything has a dreamy look to it with sharpness exactly where you want it. it certainly has a signature look that i have not seen with any other lenses.

- sharp all through the frame, even wide open and at all focal lengths. very impressive. i'm a pixel peeper and was wowed even when viewing at 100%.

- very accurate skin tones - almost no post processing done to the images in the wedding above

- a lot more keepers - the extra stops of IS definitely make a difference especially in fast moving situations (weddings) where you may not have time to stabilise yourself in favour of catching a moment

- the shorter minimum focusing distance of 20cm may not seem like much but it makes a world of difference when shooting in tight spots

- the improved flare resistance is a god send - the wedding above was in mid-afternoon sun with lots of light bouncing around and i still ended up with contrasty, crisp images with flare only when i wanted it (such as the one of the bride walking up the aisle)

It's definitely a lens that will stay in my bag for a long time.

Sep 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photosbyjay to your Buddy List
jcmedeiros

Registered: Jun 30, 2004
Review Date: Sep 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great color and contrast
Cons:
cost

I've owned numerous EF zoom lenses and this one is easily the best. My EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS was a phenomenal lens and I was skeptical when I heard the preliminary glowing reports on its successor. Well, everything everyone has been raving about is true. This lens rivals primes throughout its focal range. Add to this the improved IS, fast as lightning focusing and a much appreciated new hood lock design and you have the new benchmark standard for telephoto zooms.

Meet the new boss: the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

Sep 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jcmedeiros to your Buddy List
malla1962

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast Focus, very sharp @f2.8, new hood,Updated Stabilizer and handles converters like a dream.
Cons:
None at all.

This is the best zoom I have ever had and I have had a lot over the years, in fact all the canon 70-200's.This lens is extremely sharp wide open, focus is lightning fast and the 4 stop stabilizer is near silent.
I have been using it with a 2X and the results shocked me as the images wide open with the 2X are superb.Focus slows down a lot with the 2X if going from the MFD to infinity but if you are somewhere near its fast.

Aug 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add malla1962 to your Buddy List
zogster

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Aug 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast sharp focus. IS works great. Tremendous IQ
Cons:
Some vignetting ... more than I expected on my 1ds Mark 3

My primes have been sitting in my bag since I bought this lens. Only complaint is obvious vignetting on my full-frame 1ds Mark 3. It often works to good advantage with portraits, so I shouldn't complain too much. Sharp as a tack, focus is best in class, and IQ is beyond reproach. Swallow hard on the price and take the plunge!

Aug 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zogster to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Aug 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS 4th Generation, Sharp even at 2.8, AF is fast, Great hood, White
Cons:
Cost but you get what you pay for

Well I wasn't going to buy this lens because just wasn't convinced it was any better than the other 70-200's. But finally I couldn't take it any longer so I ordered one and the rest is history. This lens is fantastic better than I was expecting. If I get a OOF shot it's my fault not the lens. I was shocked to see how sharp this lens is at 2.8. I am very happy I bought it and love the new positive hood on this.

Aug 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Location: Ethiopia
Review Date: Aug 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,345.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quick Focus, Exceptional sharpens, Perfect Colors ... Build Quality !
Cons:
Maybe a weight ...

This is my new lens for previous IS version. I am so satisfied, that I can not look back over my shoulder ... This is a Fantastic lens.

Aug 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
rd4tile

Registered: Mar 22, 2004
Review Date: Aug 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, AF, IS, IQ - the entire package.
Cons:
OK weight/price I guess

Prime level image quality at f2.8 and up at all zoom ranges.

Works with both 1.4X and 2X at supertele performance levels.

Lightning fast AF (fastest I've ever seen)

IS is not only latest generation but fast and quiet as well.

Better hood design.

Other then cost this lens has no real flaws so I guess you get what you pay for (although in my case it replaced 3 other lenses so I ended up with a lighter bag and more $ in the wallet.)

Aug 10, 2010