Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

115 145785 Jul 24, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34° - 12°
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

JustinThyme

Registered: Jun 13, 2008
Review Date: Jan 31, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,050.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp to corners, fast and quiet AF, improved IS, reduced CA and flare improved contrast and color rendition.
Cons:
Pricey, gained a little weight.

Im not one to post up that I want this lens, or it looks like a great lens or post off of what I have heard. I instead like some others here wait unbtil I have had the lens long enough to give it a fair appraisal as at times there is a learning curve involved.

Having owned the first version of this lens for quite some time the first thing noted was the wider rubber on the zoom and focus rings. Not that it really accounts for anything but makes it easily distinguishable from the first version. The second cosmetic change is the hood is now a matte finish that doesnt get easily marked up as the old style did. After a few months still no marks on the hood. The hood also locks into position and had a push button release not found in its predecessor.

Now for the important part.

The new version is quite an improvement over the first version in pretty much all aspects. The sharpness to corners on a FF body is evident to even the casual observer. Vignetting is minimal and CA has been reduced. The IS has been improved for at least another stop over its predecessor. The AF and IS motors are nearly silent without the clunking noise in the IS when engaged. AF is very fast and spot on. The manual focus ring is well damped with no play noted. Flare is also well controlled compared to the previous version and the contrast is a bit more crisp with excellent color rendition.

What most want to know is if it is worth the upgrade.
In my opinion I am rather pleased with the upgrade. I went through a few copies of the version one to find a copy that was reasonably sharp, this one was sharp right out of the box and for a change didnt need calibration. There are sharper lenses to be found in the prime line up but you will be hard pressed to find a sharper zoom. I was so impressed in fact that I sold one lens that I thought I would keep forever, the 135L. After comparison of the 2 at f 2.8 and 135mm the difference was only evident to pixel peepers shooting news print. I did however keep the 85L for use in certain applications.

Overall this is a great addition to the Canon lens line up and I have no regrets in making the choice to upgrade.

Jan 31, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JustinThyme to your Buddy List
Hudsons

Registered: May 8, 2005
Review Date: Jan 29, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, Super image stabalization, excellent build quality
Cons:
Heavy!

Bought mine in October ahead of a holiday in the Highlands of Scotland.

A heavy lens but I did find I could carry it, attached to a 5D II
over several miles of rugged terrain. Impressions are; very sharp with rich colour and great contrast. It is better than the 70-200 f4L it replaced. Found I could hand hold it at very slow speeds to capture landscapes in low light/rain and shots taken of wild deer are very sharp indeed even the ones taken at full apature. So far very satisfied.

Jan 29, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hudsons to your Buddy List
Liquidpics

Registered: Jun 14, 2005
Review Date: Jan 25, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's noticeably better then version I and I thought that was exceptional
Cons:
Date codes have appeared to vanish on copies after 8/2010.

Jan 25, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Liquidpics to your Buddy List
jasonp1

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: Jan 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Sharp, Sharp! Closer focusing distance than the older model, IS and solid as any lens out there.
Cons:
If I have to say something, then maybe the weight but that comes with the territory

I always wait a while before posting reviews to thoroughly test a lens. Well, I've had this lens now for a few months and have shot portraits, macros (with tubes), sports and wildlife. I have to say, its one of my two favorite Canon lenses (the other being the 100mm 2.8 IS Macro). The Sharpness of this lens is within a hair of being as sharp as my Canon Primes. I would venture to say its at least as sharp as my 400mm L even at f2.8. Color rendition is spot on, the IS works great and you know the minute you pick this thing up that its SOLID. There are already enough reviews going into depth of how good this lens is. All I can say is that they are all correct. Canon hit the ball out of the park on this one. If you can afford this lens, it's a must have for serious Canon shooters. Get it, you won't be disappointed.

Jan 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jasonp1 to your Buddy List
CarusoPhoto

Registered: Nov 30, 2006
Review Date: Dec 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Focus Speed, Bokeh, Responsiveness
Cons:
None really...I knew how large it was when I bought it, and I knew what the cost was (and you get what you pay for)

This lens is just amazing. I originally owned the 70-200 f/4L and liked it a lot. However, I was never fully satisfied with the slower version. As my circumstances changed, I was in a position to move up to the f/2.8. Happily, Canon released the version II, and I quickly picked one up. I am delighted that I did. This lens is indeed a "photographer's lens." In other words, it is one that becomes an extension of the eye and it is capable of doing everything I ask of it. The image quality is truly amazing. I wouldn't have believed it could be THIS much better than the f/4, but it makes that lens look like a kit lens.

Dec 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CarusoPhoto to your Buddy List
GoGo

Registered: Apr 17, 2006
Review Date: Dec 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great color and fast focusing and accurate tracking.
Cons:
Price is steep, but this is how Canon pays for R&D.

OK,
Here is the rub, I have had 4 copies of this lens in various flavors. I likes all but one. And I sold off all but one.

This version II is a keeper, it actually does everything well. The big difference I have found is not only the sharpness at all apertures that I use but this lens is killer accurate at tracking a subject and keeping that subject sharp.

Dec 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GoGo to your Buddy List
x0SiN0x

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Dec 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,006.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Immediate improvement over its predecessor on my 5d markII.
Cons:
price is a little steep, but as with the other high dollar lenses you get what you pay for.

Sold my first version of this lens after reading many reviews, didn't think it could be that much better. Turns out to be a quite a difference, happy I upgraded for sure.

Dec 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add x0SiN0x to your Buddy List
NicoNico

Registered: Dec 17, 2010
Review Date: Dec 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Optical quality is excellent, superb IS. Great build quality
Cons:
hefty price, big and white

de fluorite element really makes it match the primes. Fantastic optical quality for a zoomlens. So much better then de 70-200 mark I.

Dec 17, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add NicoNico to your Buddy List
wanderinglens

Registered: Nov 9, 2010
Review Date: Nov 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and accurate AF, solid as a rock, internal zooming, super useful range, super useful IS, much less heavy than I thought. Weather sealing, Iris with 8 rounded blades, prime-level sharpness with heavenly bokeh. Zero chromatic aberration.
Cons:
None, You'll love it.

I love the lens. Not that heavy at all. If you can handle the 24-70L, you can tame this one as well.

First of all, it is a good looking piece of glass. Feels good too. Never seen a fucusing ring so smooth. No play at all on the rings. The new hood is much more resistent to scratches and locks nicely. It's well balanced and produces beautiful, deep color. The reds are especially vivid.

Sharpness is more than enough: comparable to primes. Bokeh is super smooth. Subject isolation is something amazing. Didn't found any scenario where OOF zones were harsh.

I was about to buy the 135L and with the spare money I could have had the 35L too. But I'm glad I didn't! Never shot anything longer than 85mm on a crop body until now, and I gotta say, it's kinda hard. If you are moving a lot, kneeling, standing, walking fast, your hands get shaky with the faster heartbeats. IS is a great help at weddings and photoshoots!

In my experience, weddings and photoshoots are events in wich people are either posing (and therefore, they can cooperate with you, and usually, can hold a pose still enough) or are unaware of you, and you're trying to get candid shots (you have to wait for the golden moment and usually it's not fast action) In those scenarios, 4 stop IS beats the 1 stop advantage, big time.

About the white color, I don't care about it being attention-grabbing. I am proud to own such a fine lens, I don't mind anyone to see it. Stealth photography is not my thing, thou. If it was,the lens color and size might have been a concern.

Nov 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wanderinglens to your Buddy List
shaunknee

Registered: Jan 2, 2006
Review Date: Nov 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast & colour
Cons:
High introductory price

This lens is so sharp at 2.8 it causes pixel-peeping overload. I was always disappointed with the first IS version wide open at 200mm. Isn’t this the reason we buy a 2.8 over a 4 ? Indoor sports & events.
Weight difference between first & second version is not noticeable but the hood improvement is. The zoom ring feel was another annoyance in the first version as it always felt gritty. I did find other posts complaining of the same thing. The zoom ring feel on the new lens is as it should be. The IS on the new version has the same start-up jump and “un-pinning” noise but definitely smooths shake a little better.
It cost me $1000 to upgrade. No regrets, other then my 85L purchase a couple of years ago as the 70-200 2.8 II resolves like a prime.
They got this lens right

Nov 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add shaunknee to your Buddy List
Chris Walker

Registered: Mar 29, 2007
Review Date: Oct 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Splendid bokeh, fast autofocus, sharp wide open at 2.8
Cons:
None. The price is worth for what you get.

Currently it's the shapest zoom from Canon you can get. The difference to the first version is amazing. Canon put a lot of improvements into this lens.

The versatility of this superb lens has nearly no limits.

Have a look at this sample pictures: http://photo-walker.ch/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=8%3Aef-70-200mm-f28-l-is-ii&Itemid=160&lang=de

All 7 pictures are taken at f/2.8 and you can download the original pictures size of 16 Megapixel (EOS 1D Mark IV). I tooked it RAW and converted them with Capture One Pro to JPG. I did not sharpen the images!
The quality of this lens is visible on the details of the cat's tongue in the picture IMG_8227, if you zoom it to 100%.

If you can't afford it, save your money until you can afford it. You will defenitely not regret your decision.

Oct 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Walker to your Buddy List
Ody1

Registered: Aug 28, 2008
Review Date: Oct 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp images and great colors
Cons:
Pocketbook still hurts

I traded two non-IS versions (2.8 and 4.0) of this lens to upgrade to this version. I'm extremely pleased with my results so far. Fabulous upgrade for me and highly recommended (if you're willing to afford it).

Oct 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ody1 to your Buddy List
Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Oct 8, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Cuanto más lo utilizo más me gusta.
Cons:
Peso y precio.

Bueno, veo con placer que sigue siendo el zoom más popular de Canon, creo que lo es con todo merecimiento, ahora en combinación con la Canon 1D Mk IV me tiene muy gratamente sorprendido son una pareja maravillosa, aqui una muestra:

Saludos a todos y los que estéis pensando, que es caro, en absoluto, vale más de lo que cuesta.

Oct 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Delpartal to your Buddy List
311erin

Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, crazy clean contrast
Cons:

Unbelievable. Get it. The best Canon lens I have ever used. I also own 24 TSE II, 50 1.2, 85 1.2. I could list negatives about those three lenses but not a single word about this one, I was beyond impressed when I received mine.

Oct 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 311erin to your Buddy List
flowtation

Registered: Jan 4, 2009
Review Date: Oct 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: crazy sharp
Cons:
weight, but hey.

i traded in my 135L for this baby, so that should say something.
i use it for video too.

a test shot;

Oct 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add flowtation to your Buddy List
willis

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Sep 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and contrasty edge to edge at all apertures and FLs, excellent IS, Fast AF, nice bokeh, great bulid, hood's a little nicer.
Cons:
Expensive (though price is falling a little), weight.

No question this is a superb lens. 70-200 f2.8 has been a staple lens for many for a very long time and this is an all round upgrade which most improtantly is bitingly sharp wide open.
I don't own it and am not sure I will because I value lightness a lot. I have become a fast prime and f4 zoom kind of shooter. Having said that if it suited my requirements I've no doubt it's the best available and really enjoyed trying it out. It provides what the f4 IS provides but at f2.8 and without the slight softness at MFD. Highly recommended.

Sep 24, 2010