Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

110 140843 Jan 26, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34° - 12°
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

Daan B

Registered: Aug 15, 2007
Review Date: Jun 6, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: See below
Cons:
See below

What's good:

It has superb IQ:
- sharp already @ wide open @ every focal length
- little CA and fall-off
- some distortion
- excellent colors and contrast
- excellent human skin rendition
- great bokeh

It handles great and is built to last. 4 stop IS rules. AF is very fast and spot on most of the time (5D2).

Downsides:
- heavy and big
- it screams 'here I am'
- EXPENSIVE Sad

I traded my f/4 IS, 100/2 and 135L for it. No regrets whatsoever. I needed something faster than the f/4 zoom and missed IS greatly on the 135L. Besides, 2.8 is more than enough for me. Plus I needed the flexibility. I didn't find any noticeable negatives in IQ between these lenses and the 70-200 II IS. Rather the opposite.

Great lens. Easily one of Canon's finest zoom lenses!

Jun 6, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Daan B to your Buddy List
solaris9000

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Review Date: May 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, speed, colour, build quality, etc etc
Cons:
Non

I thought very long and hard about getting this lens. Having read all the positives about this lens, I finally went for it.

I was not disappointed. The sharpness is simply stunning for a zoom. The speed is very quick indeed and puts a smile on my face every time. The colour and contrast are excellent.

Of course this kind of quality does not come cheap. It's also a little heavy - initially. But once you are use to it, I do not find it a problem any more.

Overall this is a highly recommended lens for any Canon shooter.

May 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add solaris9000 to your Buddy List
Victor Go

Registered: Apr 13, 2007
Review Date: May 4, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens can compete with primes in terms of sharpness and contrast. I use mainly prime lenses, cos I felt generally that zoom lenses are sub standard. This lens changes my mind totally.
Cons:
Nil

Got this lens for 1mth buy now. Shot many frames with it, and it has won my confidence back for canon's zoom lenses. this guy produces images just slightly behind my 200f2. If you cannot afford the 200f2, this is the next best option. The image quality is better than the 200f2.8L. Geat job done by the Canon's engineers.

Will be uploading my samples to http://victor.shutterbug.sg

May 4, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Victor Go to your Buddy List
berni123

Registered: Dec 25, 2009
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Apr 8, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, Color, Contrast, Sharp
Cons:

Excellent lens, my first tele zoom because I'm doing architectural photography, It fits perfectly in my other Canon lenses 14mm; 17mm TS, 24mm TS and 24-105 zoom. Lens is just perfect, costly but worth every kuna (both in Croatia) app. 2500 US$

Apr 8, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add berni123 to your Buddy List
Azrael2

Registered: Jun 4, 2007
Review Date: Apr 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Color quality, IS, etc.
Cons:
Price but it's worth it. + I'm not confortable with the lens hood, but it may be me being clumsy.

Very impressive lens, used for indoor and outdoor sports events, in replacement of 85f/1.8 + 135f/2 + 200f/2.8.
I loose a little bit of light, but the lens is as sharp as the primes and much more flexible.
IS is not required for sports, but it helps when you have to take a quick and unconfortable position for a shot => more keepers.
I sold some lens to buy this one (though I kept 135f/2 ;-), but with no regret at all.

Apr 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Azrael2 to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Mar 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality build, finish, sharp pics, great IS performance, not much else you can say.... price is high but if you want the best then you have to open your wallet.
Cons:

Used the lens for about 2 weeks to make sure I was giving a proper rating. Sold a Sigma 50f1.4, Canon 70-200f2.8 and Canon 100 f2.8 L macro to get this lens. The results I have got are the best. I don't need a selection of primes in that range any longer. Used to have the 200mm f2.8L and 135 L as feel I am fine with this new lens in the same range. Why carry around 6 lenses......

Mar 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doug Vann to your Buddy List
RichM-NH

Registered: Jan 25, 2009
Review Date: Mar 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, fast, and good IS
Cons:
pricey and heavy (but everyone already knows that)

After waiting for some time, I finally decided to sell my v1 and buy the vII. My v1 was my favorite, and most used lens. Despite it's weight, the v1 traveled everywhere with me. It provide clear, sharp images with great color and contrast. It always felt extremely well made - solid.

The vII is significantly, and noticeably better in every area. Images are noticeably sharper. The focus and zoom rings move with greater precision. Even the lens hood is improved. While I'd hoped for the improvement in sharpness, I didn't expect this lens to be this good. Great job Canon!

Mar 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RichM-NH to your Buddy List
WilliamFinley

Registered: Apr 11, 2010
Review Date: Mar 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 4-stop IS, Color, Contrast, Sharp, Sharp, Sharp, & Sharp
Cons:

Coming from a very nice copy of the Mark I version, I was a little nervous about this purchase. Not for long. This lens won me over quick. Tested it against my 85 1.8, 100 f2, 135 L, all excellent copies in there own right. The 70-200 MKII had better color, contrast, and was just as sharp as these primes! The only reason for keeping the primes after testing them against the 70-200 is that they're faster....that's it. The 4-stop IS is amazing. It's pricey but worth it!

Mar 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add WilliamFinley to your Buddy List
AnderlSp

Registered: Jan 12, 2010
Review Date: Feb 26, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: you have a lot of fun with the lens, very sharp, even at 2.8, fast autofcus
Cons:
price, a bit heavy

A long time I wavered between the Canon 70-200 f4 and almost twice as heavy and twice as an expensive Canon 70-200 f2.8. But already after the first long walk with my new acquisition I can say that the decision for the 2.8er was the right one.

Ok, the lens is not light and it is not suitable to be hung for hours with the camera around your neck. But with the right straps, e.g. Sun Sniper, the camera and lens can be carried for a longer time without any problems. The 70-200 2.8 is well in hand and focuses very quickly. Due to the large aperture the viewfinder is very bright, it definitely makes a lot of fun with this lens to go on photo tour.

Mor info and sample picture of my first photowalk with the lens on http://www.reise-bilderbuch.de/
goto Photography -> Lenses

Feb 26, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AnderlSp to your Buddy List
Olivier Nguyen

Registered: Oct 21, 2006
Review Date: Feb 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, fast auto focus,VR working very well, manual focus and zoom ring silky smooth
Cons:
everyone said heavy and pricy but that is how you pay for quality from optic to built to last.

very nice lens. I own Nikon, Leica, and now Canon system (ask me about multiple system. yes all of these from film to now). all good lens come with high price tag that is how it is. excellent optic does not come cheap. prove that by Leica lens optic and Zeiss optic. Nikon and Canon pro lens also upthere in price but still cheap relatively in compare to Leica and Zeiss.
I am broke with all the pro lens but I get what I paid for.

Feb 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Olivier Nguyen to your Buddy List
Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Jan 31, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: No pierde velocidad de enfoque, tienes un 140-400mm f5.6 de una calidad excepcional, versatilidad, peso.
Cons:
Precio, solo da el 100% con la 1D Mk IV y un poco menos pero muy bien con la 7D, modelos más antiguos, no hablan el mismo idioma

La combinación de esta maravilla con el nuevo Extender Canon X2 III + Canon 1D Mk IV, es algo alucinante y revolucionario.

Ver ejemplos:

Saludos a todos

Jan 31, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Delpartal to your Buddy List
JustinThyme

Registered: Jun 13, 2008
Review Date: Jan 31, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,050.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp to corners, fast and quiet AF, improved IS, reduced CA and flare improved contrast and color rendition.
Cons:
Pricey, gained a little weight.

Im not one to post up that I want this lens, or it looks like a great lens or post off of what I have heard. I instead like some others here wait unbtil I have had the lens long enough to give it a fair appraisal as at times there is a learning curve involved.

Having owned the first version of this lens for quite some time the first thing noted was the wider rubber on the zoom and focus rings. Not that it really accounts for anything but makes it easily distinguishable from the first version. The second cosmetic change is the hood is now a matte finish that doesnt get easily marked up as the old style did. After a few months still no marks on the hood. The hood also locks into position and had a push button release not found in its predecessor.

Now for the important part.

The new version is quite an improvement over the first version in pretty much all aspects. The sharpness to corners on a FF body is evident to even the casual observer. Vignetting is minimal and CA has been reduced. The IS has been improved for at least another stop over its predecessor. The AF and IS motors are nearly silent without the clunking noise in the IS when engaged. AF is very fast and spot on. The manual focus ring is well damped with no play noted. Flare is also well controlled compared to the previous version and the contrast is a bit more crisp with excellent color rendition.

What most want to know is if it is worth the upgrade.
In my opinion I am rather pleased with the upgrade. I went through a few copies of the version one to find a copy that was reasonably sharp, this one was sharp right out of the box and for a change didnt need calibration. There are sharper lenses to be found in the prime line up but you will be hard pressed to find a sharper zoom. I was so impressed in fact that I sold one lens that I thought I would keep forever, the 135L. After comparison of the 2 at f 2.8 and 135mm the difference was only evident to pixel peepers shooting news print. I did however keep the 85L for use in certain applications.

Overall this is a great addition to the Canon lens line up and I have no regrets in making the choice to upgrade.

Jan 31, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JustinThyme to your Buddy List
Hudsons

Registered: May 8, 2005
Review Date: Jan 29, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, Super image stabalization, excellent build quality
Cons:
Heavy!

Bought mine in October ahead of a holiday in the Highlands of Scotland.

A heavy lens but I did find I could carry it, attached to a 5D II
over several miles of rugged terrain. Impressions are; very sharp with rich colour and great contrast. It is better than the 70-200 f4L it replaced. Found I could hand hold it at very slow speeds to capture landscapes in low light/rain and shots taken of wild deer are very sharp indeed even the ones taken at full apature. So far very satisfied.

Jan 29, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hudsons to your Buddy List
Liquidpics

Registered: Jun 14, 2005
Review Date: Jan 25, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's noticeably better then version I and I thought that was exceptional
Cons:
Date codes have appeared to vanish on copies after 8/2010.

Jan 25, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Liquidpics to your Buddy List
jasonp1

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: Jan 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Sharp, Sharp! Closer focusing distance than the older model, IS and solid as any lens out there.
Cons:
If I have to say something, then maybe the weight but that comes with the territory

I always wait a while before posting reviews to thoroughly test a lens. Well, I've had this lens now for a few months and have shot portraits, macros (with tubes), sports and wildlife. I have to say, its one of my two favorite Canon lenses (the other being the 100mm 2.8 IS Macro). The Sharpness of this lens is within a hair of being as sharp as my Canon Primes. I would venture to say its at least as sharp as my 400mm L even at f2.8. Color rendition is spot on, the IS works great and you know the minute you pick this thing up that its SOLID. There are already enough reviews going into depth of how good this lens is. All I can say is that they are all correct. Canon hit the ball out of the park on this one. If you can afford this lens, it's a must have for serious Canon shooters. Get it, you won't be disappointed.

Jan 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jasonp1 to your Buddy List
CarusoPhoto

Registered: Nov 30, 2006
Review Date: Dec 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Focus Speed, Bokeh, Responsiveness
Cons:
None really...I knew how large it was when I bought it, and I knew what the cost was (and you get what you pay for)

This lens is just amazing. I originally owned the 70-200 f/4L and liked it a lot. However, I was never fully satisfied with the slower version. As my circumstances changed, I was in a position to move up to the f/2.8. Happily, Canon released the version II, and I quickly picked one up. I am delighted that I did. This lens is indeed a "photographer's lens." In other words, it is one that becomes an extension of the eye and it is capable of doing everything I ask of it. The image quality is truly amazing. I wouldn't have believed it could be THIS much better than the f/4, but it makes that lens look like a kit lens.

Dec 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CarusoPhoto to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM