Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

118 148807 Oct 2, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34 - 12
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

HarveyGold

Registered: Sep 12, 2009
Review Date: Sep 1, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, with a capital I.Q. Outstanding build quality, AF speed and AF accuracy.
Cons:
None. Nope, not even the weight.

A number of years ago I purchased my first 70-200. It was the f/4 non-IS version and I thoroughly enjoyed that lens. I soon felt the need for a faster aperture and purchased the f/2.8 non-IS version with which I was very happy. Image quality was very good and the weight was manageable. However, not long after, I decided to upgrade to the IS version of that lens but was never totally happy with the image quality it delivered, especially at 200mm and wide open.

When the 70-200 f/4L IS was introduced and got rave reviews, I decided to give up the fast aperture and opt for the improved image quality. That turned out to be a fantastic lens and I loved the images it produced. Then along came the new f/2.8L Version II and because of the reviews I couldn't resist. I coughed up the money and bought one.

That was one of my best ever purchases. In a word, this lens is spectacular in every way. The AF is super fast and accurate and the image quality it produces is simply outstanding. At any focal length and any aperture. I am in love with this lens. I believe it is as sharp as my 300 f/2.8L IS and my 500 f/4L IS. Yes, you read that correctly.

I shoot a lot of action photography, including race cars, superbike races, motocross races and dog events. This lens goes along with me everywhere, right beside my 300/2.8L IS. It's indispensable.

Was it worth the money and the extra weight. Without a doubt. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. If you are looking for a 70-200 and have the funds to buy this one, GO FOR IT. You won't be sorry.

Sep 1, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HarveyGold to your Buddy List
barmaley

Registered: Oct 23, 2009
Location: Russia
Review Date: Aug 20, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding image quality, excellent build, very fast AF, effective IS
Cons:
Heavy, big, white

I borrowed this lens from a friend, and I was greately impressed with it. It even beats my 200 2.8L II USM prime!
This is a lens with outstanding performance. It is very sharp wide open, has wonderful color and tonal rendition, virtually none CA and very fast AF. It is weather sealed and build to last.
But it is big and heavy, and attracts too much attention.
You can read a small review with sample images here:

Aug 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add barmaley to your Buddy List
melashcott

Registered: Oct 21, 2009
Review Date: Aug 4, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, clean and smooth - built like a tank
Cons:
A little heavy on a pro body - go to the gym!

This lens is the best zoom lens I have ever owned. it may well be the best zoom ever made - simply stunning sharp images that pop the subjest out of the background. Not quite the pop of the 135mm f2L - but hey, this lens focusses super fast, and once locked on with a 1D mark iv, will follow the action with ease and aplomb.

Simply, if you can afford it - get it! You can see some photographic examples and a more indepth article in the Camera / Lens section of my blog at: http://www.weddingphotographymelbourne.com.au

Aug 4, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add melashcott to your Buddy List
Fast Shadow

Registered: Oct 7, 2004
Review Date: Jul 26, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,070.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp, lightning quick focus, great IS, great bokeh.
Cons:
Weight, price

Bought this lens before the most recent price hikes. I paid $2070 shipped from Amazon. The build quality is outstanding. It feels like a piece of high precision industrial equipment to handle... which is basically what it is. The locking lens hood is also a nice improvement. This lens takes the 1.4x TC II and III very well. It also does well with the 2.0x TC but the performance hit is much more noticeable. The weight can be a little much when combined with a 1 series body. Even though it's a relatively small lens I would recommend either a monopod or a sling style strap if you plan on carrying this lens for hours at a time. Highly recommended, it's the best short/mid range tele zoom there is.

Jul 26, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fast Shadow to your Buddy List
Ray_B

Registered: Apr 16, 2008
Review Date: Jul 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, colour, contrast, IS
Cons:
strong lightsources, can't allways avoid em turns purple, guess we'll have to live with that.

You could be pixelpeepin all day and all night, its gonna tell you the same story, this lens is sharp, period, IS rocks, hat off for the hood that locks, should be standard, focus was spot on out of the box as i found out after straying away.Weight is no issue, take it like a man, price?, dunno, i forgot about that.

Jul 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ray_B to your Buddy List
ESC in KC

Registered: Dec 25, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fantastic images throughout the range and apertures
Cons:
Just not a good walk-around lens due to size

I sold my f/2 135L and my 70-200 2.8L IS (I) to buy this lens. Absolutely no regrets. The 135 was an amazing lens, but without IS, I was just not always willing to shoot with it under about 1/100 due to camera shake. Also, I found the f/2 a little tough to manage in my portrait work, so the 2.8 is good enough for me.

And the sharpness on this lens is nothing short of spectacular wide open... If my version I of this lens was a '7' that would make this one a strong strong '9'. It is that much better.

The older I get the more I appreciate it when I spend the money on the best available. Don't go cheap - just sell off anything you have in this range and just get it! :-)

Jun 21, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ESC in KC to your Buddy List
beauport

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Review Date: Jun 16, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,249.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: One very fine lens. I own the F4 IS version and as good as that lens is this tops it in a number of areas. There are less measurable areas where this lens shines, IQ, AF, IS. Build quality is superb.
Cons:
It's still heavy which prevented my from buying the previous version originally. Not cheap.

Jun 16, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add beauport to your Buddy List
40Driggs

Registered: Sep 16, 2008
Review Date: Jun 10, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,067.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Wide open sharpness, colors, contrast, 4 stop IS, fast autofocus
Cons:
price

This is easily the best zoom lens that I have gotten the privilege of using. I used to have a Sigma 70-200 HSM II, which was a good lens (steal for the price), but was always renting the Canon IS version I lens for event shooting. I decided to give myself a Christmas present last year and went for the lens. I knew that I would always regret settling on a lesser lens so I spent the extra money.

This is one of those lenses that you try to find a way to use for everything. Awesome build, fantastic image quality corner to corner at all apertures and distances, and a fantastic 4 stop IS system. I liked the first version of the lens, but there is a noticeable difference between the two. Highly recommended!

Jun 10, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 40Driggs to your Buddy List
Daan B

Registered: Aug 15, 2007
Review Date: Jun 6, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: See below
Cons:
See below

What's good:

It has superb IQ:
- sharp already @ wide open @ every focal length
- little CA and fall-off
- some distortion
- excellent colors and contrast
- excellent human skin rendition
- great bokeh

It handles great and is built to last. 4 stop IS rules. AF is very fast and spot on most of the time (5D2).

Downsides:
- heavy and big
- it screams 'here I am'
- EXPENSIVE Sad

I traded my f/4 IS, 100/2 and 135L for it. No regrets whatsoever. I needed something faster than the f/4 zoom and missed IS greatly on the 135L. Besides, 2.8 is more than enough for me. Plus I needed the flexibility. I didn't find any noticeable negatives in IQ between these lenses and the 70-200 II IS. Rather the opposite.

Great lens. Easily one of Canon's finest zoom lenses!

Jun 6, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Daan B to your Buddy List
solaris9000

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Review Date: May 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, speed, colour, build quality, etc etc
Cons:
Non

I thought very long and hard about getting this lens. Having read all the positives about this lens, I finally went for it.

I was not disappointed. The sharpness is simply stunning for a zoom. The speed is very quick indeed and puts a smile on my face every time. The colour and contrast are excellent.

Of course this kind of quality does not come cheap. It's also a little heavy - initially. But once you are use to it, I do not find it a problem any more.

Overall this is a highly recommended lens for any Canon shooter.

May 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add solaris9000 to your Buddy List
Victor Go

Registered: Apr 13, 2007
Review Date: May 4, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens can compete with primes in terms of sharpness and contrast. I use mainly prime lenses, cos I felt generally that zoom lenses are sub standard. This lens changes my mind totally.
Cons:
Nil

Got this lens for 1mth buy now. Shot many frames with it, and it has won my confidence back for canon's zoom lenses. this guy produces images just slightly behind my 200f2. If you cannot afford the 200f2, this is the next best option. The image quality is better than the 200f2.8L. Geat job done by the Canon's engineers.

Will be uploading my samples to http://victor.shutterbug.sg

May 4, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Victor Go to your Buddy List
berni123

Registered: Dec 25, 2009
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Apr 8, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, Color, Contrast, Sharp
Cons:

Excellent lens, my first tele zoom because I'm doing architectural photography, It fits perfectly in my other Canon lenses 14mm; 17mm TS, 24mm TS and 24-105 zoom. Lens is just perfect, costly but worth every kuna (both in Croatia) app. 2500 US$

Apr 8, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add berni123 to your Buddy List
Azrael2

Registered: Jun 4, 2007
Review Date: Apr 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Color quality, IS, etc.
Cons:
Price but it's worth it. + I'm not confortable with the lens hood, but it may be me being clumsy.

Very impressive lens, used for indoor and outdoor sports events, in replacement of 85f/1.8 + 135f/2 + 200f/2.8.
I loose a little bit of light, but the lens is as sharp as the primes and much more flexible.
IS is not required for sports, but it helps when you have to take a quick and unconfortable position for a shot => more keepers.
I sold some lens to buy this one (though I kept 135f/2 ;-), but with no regret at all.

Apr 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Azrael2 to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Mar 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality build, finish, sharp pics, great IS performance, not much else you can say.... price is high but if you want the best then you have to open your wallet.
Cons:

Used the lens for about 2 weeks to make sure I was giving a proper rating. Sold a Sigma 50f1.4, Canon 70-200f2.8 and Canon 100 f2.8 L macro to get this lens. The results I have got are the best. I don't need a selection of primes in that range any longer. Used to have the 200mm f2.8L and 135 L as feel I am fine with this new lens in the same range. Why carry around 6 lenses......

Mar 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doug Vann to your Buddy List
RichM-NH

Registered: Jan 25, 2009
Review Date: Mar 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, fast, and good IS
Cons:
pricey and heavy (but everyone already knows that)

After waiting for some time, I finally decided to sell my v1 and buy the vII. My v1 was my favorite, and most used lens. Despite it's weight, the v1 traveled everywhere with me. It provide clear, sharp images with great color and contrast. It always felt extremely well made - solid.

The vII is significantly, and noticeably better in every area. Images are noticeably sharper. The focus and zoom rings move with greater precision. Even the lens hood is improved. While I'd hoped for the improvement in sharpness, I didn't expect this lens to be this good. Great job Canon!

Mar 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RichM-NH to your Buddy List
WilliamFinley

Registered: Apr 11, 2010
Review Date: Mar 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 4-stop IS, Color, Contrast, Sharp, Sharp, Sharp, & Sharp
Cons:

Coming from a very nice copy of the Mark I version, I was a little nervous about this purchase. Not for long. This lens won me over quick. Tested it against my 85 1.8, 100 f2, 135 L, all excellent copies in there own right. The 70-200 MKII had better color, contrast, and was just as sharp as these primes! The only reason for keeping the primes after testing them against the 70-200 is that they're faster....that's it. The 4-stop IS is amazing. It's pricey but worth it!

Mar 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add WilliamFinley to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM