Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

116 146987 Aug 11, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34° - 12°
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

arvindkanchi

Registered: Jul 5, 2005
Review Date: Jun 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Build Quality, f2.8 and IS
Cons:
Price and weight..

Excellent lens from Canon. One of the very best i have used. Like the sharpness and bokeh on my portraits. I believe this is the best telephoto zoom lens that canon has built till date and i recommend it to all.

Jun 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add arvindkanchi to your Buddy List
aestiva

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: May 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, contrast, colour, AF speed
Cons:
Weight, Even the high price is worth it

The best lens I've ever had. Very good sharpness at 2.8. I even can't see the difference in sharpness between 2.8 and 5.6
The most beautifull closeups on my site are made with this lens.
www.totaalfotografie.nl

May 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aestiva to your Buddy List
detroitrock

Registered: Apr 17, 2012
Review Date: Apr 17, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast and resolves an astonishing amount of detail.
Cons:

I never upgraded from my old 80-200mm2.8L due solely to the reason that its immediate successors where not as sharp. Being in retail I had plenty of opportunity but optical quality is what counted to me. Its resolving power was superb. Once I had tested the new Mk II it was a foregone conclusion. The detail this lens can resolve beggars belief. Price, weight or any potential cons do not matter. This lens is superlative. For the past year I have been a fulltime wedding shooter and this lens is bolted to a 1DMKIV. I find that combination perfectly balanced and manageable and get a great success rate at 1/40th of a second.

Buy it! You will not regret it.

David

Apr 17, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add detroitrock to your Buddy List
Todd Klassy

Registered: Sep 27, 2010
Review Date: Apr 4, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, fast autofocus, rugged, and image stabilization.
Cons:
Price is a tad steep, but well worth it. It is also a tad heavy.

I did a lot of research before purchasing this lens. I live and work in a very remote corner of Montana and it is important that my gear work well because it is often difficult to replace and/or fix quickly.

I was very pleased with the first gyration of this lens, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I), and wondered if this new version would be worthy of its replacement. I very quickly learned it was. When I first looked at images I took with this lens a very broad smile came to my face.

In addition to the images being super sharp, the autofocus on this lens is very snappy and very accurate. And like all 'L' lenses this lens is built very well and the weather sealing is always a plus.

I generally used this lens with my Canon EOS 5D Mark II and my IR-converted Canon EOS 5D (Mark I). It really shines on cameras with a large sensor. Its improvement in image quality is a must if you own a camera with > 18 MP and the difference in quality on my 5D Mark II is quite obvious.

I guess my only problem with the lens is its weight. When coupled with a Canon 5D Mark II + a battery grip, my rig is quite heavy, especially when swinging it up and down 1000 or more times every day for many weeks. In doing so I developed tennis elbow (i.e. tendinitis) and it took many months and exercises for it to go away. Shocking, but true.

That said, this lens is so exceptional it is well worth the pain of having to fight through tendinitis.

I came from a world of primarily prime lenses (i.e. 135mm f/2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 50mm f/1.4, 24mm f/2.8L, etc.) because I was never satisfied with the image quality of zoom lenses. But this Canon lens changed all of that. And now it is the lens that gets more use on my camera(s) than any other lens.

Here are some examples of photographs I have taken with this exceptional lens...

Three bison (or buffalo) dash across the open prairie in front of me on the Fort Belknap Indian Reservation in Montana:

A horse rears its head at the moon while high atop a ridge near Havre, Montana:

A cowgirl and her horse as the sun sets over Montana:

A yellow-bellied marmot, otherwise known as a rock chuck, spotted at Glacier National Park in Montana.

An Air Tractor AT-301 crop duster flies low over a wheat field spraying fungicide near Chester, Montana:

A very long row of electrical poles disappear over the horizon near Big Sandy, Montana:

Needless to say, I am very happy with this lens. I worried about the price when I first purchased it because I wondered if it would be that much better than its predecessor, but I can say with confidence it was worth every cent and has paid for itself many times over.

Apr 4, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Todd Klassy to your Buddy List
annoh

Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Review Date: Feb 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: High optical performances Fast AF Effective image stabilization Sealed against dust and water Nice bokeh
Cons:
High purchase price Large and heavy

I use this lens in my studio and in the field. My camera is a 5D MK2. The autofocus is fast and the image stabilization is very effective. The weight is substantial and the finishing is of a high level. Optically, there is little to be desired of the lens. I like to work with a small DOF and it is possible to use this lens at f/2.8.

Feb 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add annoh to your Buddy List
dimitris77

Registered: Aug 28, 2005
Review Date: Feb 16, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent lens overall. Sharp, fast focusing, IS helps a lot. Its definitely a keeper. Competes with 200L and the Zeiss 100MP I used to have.
Cons:
Size but you already knew about it. Also price. Its x2 the price of the non-IS version.

Feb 16, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dimitris77 to your Buddy List
juberisk2

Registered: Sep 16, 2005
Review Date: Feb 1, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: better focusing, better sharpness wide open, better min. focusing distance, better hood, better IS
Cons:
price

I had the original version, which was no slouch, but gave it a rating of 9. This one clearly deserves a 10. Top quality.

Feb 1, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juberisk2 to your Buddy List
Kevin Sherman

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Jan 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Better focusing
Cons:

I think this lens is over priced, especially compared to the previous version.

Here are my observations after shooting with it for a few hours (compared to the 70-200mm f2.8L IS Version I):

- Noticeably better focus tracking. You won't necessarily feel it unless you can shoot with it for a while, I noticed my keeper rate went up, shooting optional gymnastics floor routines with a 1D Mark III.

- The new lens hood is a big improvement. The lens hood on the old one is crap. Only owned it for 1 year before I had to start using gaffers tape to keep it in place.

Jan 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin Sherman to your Buddy List
mjeffbr

Registered: Dec 6, 2011
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jan 16, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great contrast, super fast
Cons:
makes you wonder why your other lenses are worth it

This is the best lens that I ever used, even the 35L can't surpass it in terms of sharpness and contrast, it is so sharp it hurts, its autofocus is hyper fast, beautiful colors

The real problem with it is that it was my first L, so the others that came after it failed to impress me for they cannot be compared to this beast of a lens

bought in Brazil, so more expensive

Jan 16, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mjeffbr to your Buddy List
jrobichaud

Registered: Feb 21, 2005
Review Date: Dec 18, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focuses fast, tracks great, but most importantly, IQ is near legendary.
Cons:
This is where I would say that it's not $1000, but in truth, it's worth $3000.

Initially, I poo pod the idea of an upgrade to my 70-200mm 2.8 IS. It performed very well, and sometimes I think Canon upgrades just to sell more lenses because you can get 10-15 years use out of these. Well, I had the opportunity to upgrade for just a few hundred dollars, so I did. Never really thought that I would see any difference image wise. I was wrong! With this lens on a 30D or 1D mkIIn on my shoulder on the sideline, I would use her when the action came to close for the 400mm/500mm. As I combed through the first few games I found a striking difference in sharp useable images from the IS I. 8 games later, I am completely convinced, this is the finest zoom and one of the finest lenses that I have ever used! Rivals the 300mm 2.8L, rivals my100mm 2.8L, I've never seen anything like it. I had no idea what I was missing with the IS mkI. Focuses faster, tracks better, but most importantly, IQ is near legendary.

Dec 18, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jrobichaud to your Buddy List
Le_Slacker

Registered: Apr 18, 2011
Review Date: Dec 16, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,974.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: awesome all around
Cons:

upgraded from the f4 IS version - I loved that lens and very few are better all around - the 2.8 II is one of those!

Get a good strap - sure the lens has some weight to it, but it's very manageable, proper strap will share the load with your body and you can shoot all day!

Dec 16, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Le_Slacker to your Buddy List
dolina

Registered: Nov 4, 2008
Review Date: Nov 16, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: 1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements resulting in vastly improved image quality, 10cm shorter minimum focusing than the Version 1 & an extra stop of IS
Cons:
20g heavier, $800 more expensive than the Version 1

I have the Version 1 and Version 2 of this lens. I did a side by side test between the two during a football match using two EOS 7D bodies with the same brand battery and same brand 8GB memory card.

I noticed that the USM is much more responsive and quieter on the Version 2 than on the Version 1 that I immediately noticed which subject is in focus.

I would not have noticed this if I weren't switching between the two setups seconds between each other.

If you are a working photog with a Version 1 I would buy this Version 2 ASAP and keep or sell the Version 1. The Version 2 will shorten your workflow significantly.

If you are a non-working photog with the Version 1 I would keep it and buy another zoom or prime lens.

To quantify the Version 2 I would say this is a 25% improvement over the Version 1

If you want to see lens samples on full frame, APS-H and APS-C bodies go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/alabang/tags/canonef70200mmf28lisiiusm/

Nov 16, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dolina to your Buddy List
Chiefdog72

Registered: Oct 19, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

I’ve been shooting with this lens for over a year…….

Over the years I’ve owned three versions of this lens; non-IS, IS ver 1, and now IS ver 2. I absolutely loved the non IS version, so when the IS version came out I bought one. I had to send it in to Canon Irvine for adjustment (which was free). After I got it back I loved it and sold my non IS version.

I was very happy with version one of this lens, so I was hesitant to spend the bucks for version two…….I bit the bullet and bought it, but was skeptical that it would be worth the upgrade…….I was surprised Canon could improve an already great lens this much.

To me the upgrade was well worth it…..it’s faster, sharper, and the IQ is stunning. I own a 300 2.8 L IS, 135 2.0 L and have had the opportunity to use a 200 2.0 L IS on several occasions; this lens does not beat these lenses, but it certainly can hold its’ own against them. For a zoom to even be mentioned with, much less compared to, these lenses is phenomenal; you will not be disappointed with this lens.

Oct 6, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chiefdog72 to your Buddy List
Ozimax

Registered: Nov 2, 2003
Review Date: Sep 14, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, colour, versatility, re-sale value, focal length, bokeh. This is it, the best all round lens ever made by any company. (Caveat; I have never used Leica)
Cons:
Weight, price, but then again, you knew this before you bought it, eh?

I have been through some outstanding Canon lens in my time, including 135 F2, 50 F1.2 etcetera. Forget it. Sell the lot and buy this lens. It is THE lens for portraits, sports, weddings, candids, kids, compressed landscapes. The focussing is instant, the colour is classic Canon, the bokeh is world class, the versatility is unbeatable, the build is bombproof.

Price? Yes, it's expensive, but as they say, "you get what you pay for!"

Sep 14, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ozimax to your Buddy List
HarveyGold

Registered: Sep 12, 2009
Review Date: Sep 1, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, with a capital I.Q. Outstanding build quality, AF speed and AF accuracy.
Cons:
None. Nope, not even the weight.

A number of years ago I purchased my first 70-200. It was the f/4 non-IS version and I thoroughly enjoyed that lens. I soon felt the need for a faster aperture and purchased the f/2.8 non-IS version with which I was very happy. Image quality was very good and the weight was manageable. However, not long after, I decided to upgrade to the IS version of that lens but was never totally happy with the image quality it delivered, especially at 200mm and wide open.

When the 70-200 f/4L IS was introduced and got rave reviews, I decided to give up the fast aperture and opt for the improved image quality. That turned out to be a fantastic lens and I loved the images it produced. Then along came the new f/2.8L Version II and because of the reviews I couldn't resist. I coughed up the money and bought one.

That was one of my best ever purchases. In a word, this lens is spectacular in every way. The AF is super fast and accurate and the image quality it produces is simply outstanding. At any focal length and any aperture. I am in love with this lens. I believe it is as sharp as my 300 f/2.8L IS and my 500 f/4L IS. Yes, you read that correctly.

I shoot a lot of action photography, including race cars, superbike races, motocross races and dog events. This lens goes along with me everywhere, right beside my 300/2.8L IS. It's indispensable.

Was it worth the money and the extra weight. Without a doubt. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. If you are looking for a 70-200 and have the funds to buy this one, GO FOR IT. You won't be sorry.

Sep 1, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HarveyGold to your Buddy List
barmaley

Registered: Oct 23, 2009
Location: Russia
Review Date: Aug 20, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding image quality, excellent build, very fast AF, effective IS
Cons:
Heavy, big, white

I borrowed this lens from a friend, and I was greately impressed with it. It even beats my 200 2.8L II USM prime!
This is a lens with outstanding performance. It is very sharp wide open, has wonderful color and tonal rendition, virtually none CA and very fast AF. It is weather sealed and build to last.
But it is big and heavy, and attracts too much attention.
You can read a small review with sample images here:

Aug 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add barmaley to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM