Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM

116 250866 May 8, 2013
10.0
ef300mmf_28_1_

Telephoto lens newly equipped with an Image Stabilizer enabling hand-held shooting for easier movement. The fluorite element and two UD-glass elements effectively correct the chromatic aberrations prone to occur with telephoto lenses. With the EOS-1v and EOS-3, the AF speed becomes the worldís fastest. To reduce the overall weight and enhance portability, the lens barrel and many other exterior parts use magnesium-alloy. Also, the detachable tripod collar revolves smoothly and locks securely.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next
Gary Coyle

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Jan 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Stunningly fast, super sharp.
Cons:
Price and weight

What can i say what hasn't been said before, blisteringly fast AF, superb with the 1.4x on my 1d2.

Upgraded from a Sigma 70-200 when i got the 1d2 and never regretted for a single minute, it is possible to hand hold but not for long periods, superbly balanced on a pod with the 1d2.

Buy it you wont regret it.

Jan 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gary Coyle to your Buddy List
ptnik

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Jan 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Its probably the best lens to PERFECT.
Cons:
let me know if anybody finds any

I have had over 25 seperate "L" lenses in the past 10 years, and I have never felt like this.....I AM IN LOVE...lol
the OPTICS, speed, and overall balance of this piece of glass makes it very hard to put down. I have tried the 400 2.8L, and although it was a superb lens, I feel that the 300 is a lot more of a user friendly lens...especially in the weight category and the amount of KEEPERS. I tried something today that I never recomended doing in the past, I stacked a 1.4x and a 2x on the 300 IS, not on my 1DmkIIN, but on my 20D....wowowowowowow...it TRACKED very well, infact, in good light it was just lovely to use. Image contrast dropped a bit , but the sharpness it produced suprised me. A cheap way of getting to 1344mm @ f8. This lens never ceases to suprise me. I use it very comfortably with the 1.4x, I cannot notice any degradation...and occasionly with the 2x...slight contrast drop...easily fixed in CS2.....and now for FUN...stacked.

Jan 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ptnik to your Buddy List
jcmedeiros

Registered: Jun 30, 2004
Review Date: Jan 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness even wide open creamy smooth brokeh IS and focus speed
Cons:
If you get to try one you'll want to buy one.

This lens is everything you've heard and more. I never thought I'd find a long telephoto lens sharper than my 300 f/4L non IS but this is it. The results are just amazing: lightning fast focus and razor sharp images even wide open.

Jan 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jcmedeiros to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Dec 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARPNESS, Speed, IS, Quality construction
Cons:

The image quality from this lens is absolutely astonishing.
Even with the 1.4x converter, it is excellent.
Probably the best lens I have ever used...LOVE IT

Dec 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
jimyd

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Dec 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, speed, IS, weight
Cons:

Excelleny Lens for sports, birds...ie with a 1.4x and 20D, superb focussing and sharpness..best I have ever used

Dec 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimyd to your Buddy List
tcluley

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Review Date: Dec 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is a superb lens. A friend of mine lent me one to use to photograph a motorX event. It is rather heavy to hand hold all day but the results certainly make up for this small niggle. I didn't want to give it back!!!
Cons:
I wish I had got one to keep!

Dec 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tcluley to your Buddy List
Keith Flood

Registered: Nov 25, 2003
Review Date: Sep 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, f2.8 Bokhen, very solid construction, fun to shoot with!
Cons:
None, really.

This is a fantastic lens for sideline sports photography. After using the 500mm f4 for wildlife, the 300mm f2.8 seems tiny. I shoot with this lens on a monopod but is definately hand holdable. The IS is great along with the fast USM focusing. This is really a fun lens to use!

Sep 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Keith Flood to your Buddy List
Rusty Nail

Registered: Jun 18, 2003
Review Date: Sep 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Pretty much everything, including vfm - no really.
Cons:
Almost nothing!

This is by far and away the best lens in my collection, if Iím even close to being in a position to use it out of the bag it comes.

The majority of my work is Motorsport and the focus speed is tremendous, even on a 10D never mind my 1D Mk II. The sharpness and detail is incredible, and itís also an amazing portrait lens if you have the room and shoot wide open. I have occasionally wished for the reach of the 400 but whenever Iíve tried one it doesnít seem to give me the same percentage of keepers that the 300 does.

The 1.4 and even 2x TCís work well with it, (you can tell if youíve used the 2x but you have to really look and know what youíre looking for if itís just the 1.4x), with a little loss in focusing speed and some sharpness lost with the latter.

Hand holding isnít a problem even for a full day but then Iím not exactly a small bloke, however I do use a monopod and belt pouch to spare my back if I have the time and remember to pack them!

If I had to be very picky Iíd say that itís too easy to switch the IS off by accident, although I shot for a chunk of a day with it off and still had some stupendous shots, and er.. thatís pretty much it.

If you canít afford it Ė donít ever try one, get the 300 f4 instead itís a great lens, but this is the daddy and if you have a need for it is worth every single penny of itís asking price.

Sep 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rusty Nail to your Buddy List
dehowie

Registered: Oct 21, 2004
Review Date: Sep 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything!!
Cons:

Well i have to agree with everyone else that this is one awesome lens.
Nothing else really to add apart from you will get what you pay for with this awesome piece of glass.
Unreservedly recommended.
Darren

Sep 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dehowie to your Buddy List
sandisk

Registered: Jul 16, 2005
Review Date: Aug 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focusing, light, good IS module, sharp images
Cons:
Tripod collar should have 2 screws for stability.

Very fast focusing and light lens for its focal length. The IS feature works very well for this lens, and I've personally shot images at 1/15 with this lens and got usable images.
Images are tack sharp even wide open.

Aug 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sandisk to your Buddy List
SM23221EOS

Registered: Jun 5, 2005
Review Date: Jul 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp lens with good color rendition. Built to last for a very long time. Still sharp even with a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter. Still quite handholdable with IS even at this focal length and weight.
Cons:
Very poorly designed lens cap. It is virtually unusable in the field. I don't even bother to cap mine, I just leave the lens in my bag when not in use.

This is a wonderful lens and an asset to any photographer's bag. It borders on being a bit too heavy to carry all day in the field. Contrary to what others say, it is quite handholdable - I find a monopod to be cumbersome and limiting.

Optics are first-rate as well as the build quality. I really appreciate the drop-in polarizer; it is so easy to use I leave it permanantly in place. I wish smaller lenses had a polarizer that was this easy.

After you get over the sticker shock, you will be glad you made the right purchase decision.

Jul 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SM23221EOS to your Buddy List
Westerberg

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Jul 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, color, build quality, IS, f/2.8, performance at f/2.8, performance with 1.4x TC at f/4.0
Cons:
Attracts attention, quite heavy to handhold for extended periods of time, price (although it's worth every penny!)

What can I say that hasn't been said before? I don't want to put another lens on my camera ever again.

Shooting wide open with or without 1.4x TC gives you amazing pictures if you know how to handle this lens right.

Even though I had no prior telephoto experience, I managed to get tack-sharp pictures handheld with 1.4x TC the first day at 1/400 thanks to IS. That's 672mm on an EOS 10D.

Nothing has been disappointing about this lens.

Jul 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Westerberg to your Buddy List
cp65

Registered: Jul 24, 2005
Review Date: Jul 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens is very difficult to take it off the camera because it is the best lens i own... i wished i could use it all the time... it is very sharp, great colors, contrast bokeh, very fast af, preety good hand holdable... even with the 1.4 and 2x extenders it is very, very good... have i mentioned that it is the best lens i have ever used?
Cons:
none...

Jul 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cp65 to your Buddy List
Jaymanpics

Registered: Apr 26, 2004
Review Date: Jun 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything

PERFECT !

Jun 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jaymanpics to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Mar 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp wide open, "handholdable", blazing fast AF speed, L built quality
Cons:
Not much so far.

I just picked up this lens recently. Mine is the non-IS version. Took some test shots and the quality from the images just blown me away. This lens is as sharp as my beloved 600mm f/4L. With a 1.4x TC attached, the images are stunning. Here are couple shots I took this afternoon.

Full images w/ 1.4x TC wide open (f/4)

100% cropped

100% cropped

Mar 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
Lars Johnsson

Registered: Jun 29, 2003
Review Date: Mar 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very very sharp, Beautiful bokeh, Colour & Contrast is perfect, IS
Cons:
Expensive

The sharpness is fantastic. Colours & Contrast is also perfect. And the bokeh is incredible.
One of the best lenses that I have used.

Mar 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lars Johnsson to your Buddy List

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM