Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM

116 250917 May 8, 2013
10.0
ef300mmf_28_1_

Telephoto lens newly equipped with an Image Stabilizer enabling hand-held shooting for easier movement. The fluorite element and two UD-glass elements effectively correct the chromatic aberrations prone to occur with telephoto lenses. With the EOS-1v and EOS-3, the AF speed becomes the world’s fastest. To reduce the overall weight and enhance portability, the lens barrel and many other exterior parts use magnesium-alloy. Also, the detachable tripod collar revolves smoothly and locks securely.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness of course, IS, handholdable and very good with the 1.4 TC
Cons:
No so good with the 2.0TC but I suppose it is not the lens but the TC.

I am amazed and in love with this lens.
I think function 19 in 1 series cameras along with these teles, 300 2.8 is one of them, is something extremely helpful.

I do recomend this lens

Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Oct 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmraso to your Buddy List
dfindr

Registered: May 16, 2006
Review Date: Oct 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,258.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lens Incredible In All Aspects. It doesn't get any better than this.
Cons:
NONE

Are you kidding me! This lens is so good it will make you cry, the images are that outstanding. After waiting a long time I finally got a copy of this lens. It was manufactured in 1999, the first year for the IS model. My copy was pristine. You could not tell it from a brand new lens except marks where the hood attaches.

This lens is worth every penny. After all it is about the pictures isn't it.

Highly recomended. If you can afford the 3K price, pick one up immediately. You absolutely will not be disappointed.

Below is a link to a picture I took of my daugter with this lens with a 2X teleconverter using a Canon 1DmkIIN, 780 mm effective focal length.

Oct 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dfindr to your Buddy List
bogatyr

Registered: Aug 10, 2003
Review Date: Sep 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The build quality and the optical performance are both extraordinary. The contrast, color and quality of detail delivered by this lens must be seen to be appreciated, because you may never before have seen anything like it from a photographic lens.
Cons:
None. I might mention its premium price, but the price has to be viewed against the long-term satisfaction of having a durable, dependable tool of the highest quality.

I also own the 300mm 4.0 IS, which is a good albeit not optically outstanding lens. After having acquired the 300mm 2.8 L IS USM, I have become even more aware of the differences in optics. This is the lens I had dreamed wistfully about for more than four years prior to the purchase, and I can honestly say that the decision to buy it has proven to be a correct one. Still, I feel that the 4.0 version was a good stepping stone, since I am an amateur and naturally cannot afford to buy all the best tools at once.

The other high grade ("L") Canon longer telephoto lenses I own are the 135mm 2.0 L and the 200mm 2.8 II L. In many ways the 300 2.8 is in a class of its own because of its combination of long focal length and exceedingly high performance. I would say that the rendition of fine detail from my 200 2.8 and my 300 2.8 are on basically the same level, with the 135 2.0 just an impercebtibly tiny bit behind. On the other hand, the rendition of color may have a tad more sting in the 135 2.0 and the 300 2.8, but these differences are so small as to be likely offset by other factors. The 300 4.0 IS, decent as it is, trails behind these three.

I recommend the 300/4.0 IS for the serious beginner (in general L-lenses are serious), and the 300 2.8 is for those pros or amateurs who are dedicated and truly know what they want and want the very best. The price is stiff, but I would never discourage anyone from making the investment. Just be prepared to save in order to realize your dream!

A factor that mitigates its high price, is the fact that the 300/2.8 L IS USM can easily take a 1.4x teleconverter without losing much quality. Thus, for the rather small addition of a TC you can effectively have a high-grade 420mm 4.0 IS. That also needs to be taken into consideration if you are deciding whether this very fine lens is for you. This lens cannot create great pictures for you, but it is eminently qualified to help you create them.

Sep 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bogatyr to your Buddy List
malla1962

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Sep 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super fast focus,razor sharp,Just loves 1.4 and 2x T-cons,hand holdable,For me anyway
Cons:
Negative???? none from me.

This lens is the sharpest and fastest thing ever mounted on my 1dmk2,I used it at a classic scramble but it was to long for the job so I mounted my 70-200f2.8 and thoght there was a problem with the focus as the 300 made it seem slow.The lens cost me a lot of money but I think it is worth every penny.Don't even think about trying this lens unless you want to buy one.

Sep 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add malla1962 to your Buddy List
keithallenlaw

Registered: Feb 23, 2006
Review Date: Sep 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, sharp with a TC 1.4 also. Fast AF. Beautiful bokeh.
Cons:
Maybe the weight but the rewards out number that.

I just recieved this lens two week ago so maybe i should have
waited a bit longer to review this lens. But i just cant keep quiet
about this fine piece of craftmanship. The minute i took it out
of the case i was amazed at how solid and well buit this lens is.
I could'nt wait so i strapped it to my 30D and out the door i went.
The AF is quick and quiet on the 30D, though i would really love
to marry it up with a 1DsII to see how fast it really goes. I can
only imagine, so i'll leave that part for those guys. The bokeh
and sharpness is the best so far. I own the Canon 17-40f/4L,
the 50mm f/1.4, the Canon 70-200f/4L and the just recent Canon 100 f/2.8 Macro. This 300 just walks all over them in every way.
Yeah, heavy but who cares. A lens like this you carry with pride.
I do wish there was some kind of flat lens cap for it, the one that
comes with it is a little awkward when you want to take it off and
on quite a bit. My uses your wondering? Well, not really. Just
been eye balling it for quite some time and wanted a fast zoom.
I almost went for one of the big guns but decided on this. If i
want the extra reach this lens is fast and sharp enough to
comfortably where a TC 1.4 or even a 2x. NO REGRETS! Go
out and get you one. You'll love it...

Sep 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add keithallenlaw to your Buddy List
handheld

Registered: Aug 6, 2006
Review Date: Aug 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, AF drive speed.
Cons:
The hood.

I've had this lens a week only, but it impresses in spades.
Canon certainly knows how to build supertelephotos.....no compromises in lens performance nor build.

When it comes to the IQ, it is not easy to conceive how is that it can possibly get any better.

The only problem is a potty sized unwieldy hood and its mounting. It makes the lens very cumbersome to handle/carry and very conspicuous. I am not convinced Canon could not have designed a smaller slicker hood.

Clearly, the lens is neither cheap nor light, however that is all well known beforehand, so one is free to either take it or leave it, no surprises there.

Aug 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add handheld to your Buddy List
Tom_W

Registered: Jan 20, 2004
Review Date: Aug 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly sharp
Cons:

An excellent, portable large-aperture lens that presents crisp images (even wide open!) on its own, and works very well with teleconverters. It is an excellent match with the Canon 1.4X teleconverter, and also a good match with the 2X teleconverter if needed.

The lens handles well, and the IS system is very good.

Aug 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom_W to your Buddy List
Daguerre999

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Aug 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, Build Quality, Focus Speed, "X" Factor
Cons:
Price,Weight

Though slightly less sharp wide-open than I had hoped, you only have to stop down to f3.5 to hit its maximum sharpness. This is on a 1.6 crop, so a FF may be better. Apart from the obvious (price, weight), there is nothing to complain about here.
I have used it on everything from motorports to landscapes to wildlife, and it has yet to let me down. Its not the portable "Bush-Buster" the 300f4 IS is, but its virtues more than compensate. Only in the dimmest of light does it hunt, otherwise it is blindingly fast and hand-holdable for a half-dozen shots or so. I think, however that most shooters would benefit from a monopod at least.
If you can take the hit to your wallet, and the crick in your neck, then I highly recommend this lens.

Aug 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Daguerre999 to your Buddy List
davispjones

Registered: Aug 2, 2006
Review Date: Aug 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I really just want to see if anyone has shot with the non-IS version of this lens as well?? I keep hearing how good the reviews are on the IS version, but wondering if there is really that great a deal of difference. I currently shoot the non-IS 70-200 and it takes incredible shots. Any thoughts??

Aug 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add davispjones to your Buddy List
John Daniel

Registered: Jun 6, 2004
Review Date: Aug 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Precision, focus speed, clear, luminous, details, IQ, super clean with 1.4X, great results with 2X, the perfect lens for a full frame, the bird lens for an PS-C(1.6 crop factor)
Cons:
It's a little heavy, but it's not for kids.

This is the fastest L lens that Canon has made. This is the best Canon lens I had the chance to use(135f2, 70-200IS, 24-70, 24-105, 100-400).

I have been and I am still blown away by the results with the precision, level of details, bokeh, speed, etc. The dream lens for whoever put photography details, IQ and precision as the most important selection characteristics

JD

Aug 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Daniel to your Buddy List
Molnar

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Review Date: Jul 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Wicked Sharp I am totally blown away
Cons:

Jul 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Molnar to your Buddy List
selwynroberts

Registered: Feb 18, 2006
Review Date: May 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: superb lens fantastic sharp optics, great build quality.
Cons:
Its heavy to carry around

A must have for wildlife photography. Superb optics and build quality.This lens is definitely sharper than my 100-400 zoom .It is brilliant with the canon extenders. It is heavy and needs a better strap than the canon one it is supplied with

May 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add selwynroberts to your Buddy List
lotus17j

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: May 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I love this lens. It's great! I can hand-hold it comfortably for several hours. It's tremendously sharp.
Cons:

If you can afford this lens you will never regret buying it.

May 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lotus17j to your Buddy List
buffi

Registered: Jan 5, 2006
Review Date: Mar 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF, Build, IQ and even street respect!
Cons:
Still looking

After having owned this lens for 2 weeks I still look for things I don't like. But they are not there!
It really feels so solid and well build that my other L-lenses suddenly feel semi-pro. This is a real PRO lens and it's worth every penny!

Mar 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add buffi to your Buddy List
Craig Lockett

Registered: Jul 30, 2003
Review Date: Feb 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast Focus, Super sharp, focus persets and focus stop buttons
Cons:
A little pricey

This is a must have lens if it fits your budget. The focus is fast and locks acuately. Definately one of the sharpest lenes that I have ever had. Works well with extenders for the extra added reach. with a little effort it's definately hand holdable, in my opinion not much less than the 70-200. Check on out if you get a chance and you will fall in love.

Feb 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Craig Lockett to your Buddy List
unsharpmask

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, sharp, IS, weather sealing, focus presets
Cons:
Pricey, tripod collar could be better

The IS version of the lens is a major upgrade from previous versions of this lens. My only problem with this lens is the way they designed the tripod collar from the old version, not smooth, the lens strap eyelets are in the way, and if your holding a monopod with the lens, the collar can come off if not tightened. You can easily drop the lens if your not careful with the collar.

The IS is great, especially if you use the 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverters as they well save you if you have to use slower shutter speeds because of loss of light.

The real magic of this lens is the focus pre-sets. The knurled collar on the lens gives you a precise focus pre-set, a must for many sports, especially baseball, basketball or hockey.

I like the weather sealing and the lens hood is pretty good.

I use this lens about 90% of the time at f 2.8. It's the reason I bought this lens, and it's razor sharp wide open.

I would rate this lens a 10 just on optics, but a few of the user design elements could be better. On the side of the lens there is a phlanx of buttons and switches, that unfortunately can be accidently moved easily. Some gaffer tape is a must to taped down your settings, I hope in the next generation of this lens, a few things could be fixed.

Jan 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add unsharpmask to your Buddy List

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM