Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor

16 37964 Sep 30, 2013
pic_001

* AF-S 50mm lens a fast, single-focal-length lens with normal picture angle (when attached to a DX-format SLR, the picture angle is equivalent to a focal length of 75mm in FX/35mm format).
* Large maximum aperture of f/1.4.
* Well-balanced design realizes both high MTF performance and natural-looking picture blur.
* Newly developed optical system effectively corrects sagittal coma flare and coma aberration.
* Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures smooth, quiet AF operation.
* Two focus modes are available M/A (manual-priority autofocus) and M (manual focus).
* Focus ring does not rotate in AF operation.
* Natural blur effects thanks to nine-blade rounded diaphragm.
* Although all lens groups shift during focusing, the lens barrel length does not change.

f/Stop Range 1.4-16
Minimum Focus Distance 1.5' (0.45 m)
Magnification 1:6.8
Length 2.1" (54mm)
Maximum Diameter 2.9" (74mm)
Weight 9.9 oz (280g)

eduardvdk

Registered: Jun 9, 2013
Review Date: Sep 30, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: F-stop, weight.
Cons:
Autofocus sometimes slow.

I shoot weddings in Holland and other places in europe and I have been using this lens for some time now. Its weight is a very big plus, and the low F-stop makes it a lens that I pop out every wedding. I use it with off camera flashes for stunning light effects with a shallow depth of field, so cool.

I would recommend this lens since 1.4 can give such incredible depth of field, the 85 mm is also very nice at 1.4!

Sep 30, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eduardvdk to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Nov 12, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, great colors, fast
Cons:
needs fine tuning in camera

I shoot weddings in Pittsburgh and this lens has captured some of the best images I have ever taken. Check out some images on my site. There are a lot taken with this lens. I have owned all of the 50mm at some point.http://nbombichstudios.com

Nov 12, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Apr 23, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, fast on the D3, great colors and contrast
Cons:
it would be aawesome the to have it in a 1.2 version. I love the creamy skin color it produces!

This is the lens which I keep on my D700 (and my D3). It start the day with it. I take it off when I need a different lens but it goes back immediately once I finished with the other lens. This and my 24-70mm are the two lenses I would never ever get rid of. Buy it if you are serious about photography! It is better than the other Nikon 50mm lenses except the 50mm 1.2 but the 50mm 1.2 is not an AF lens... This and the 24mm what I use when it gets dark.
You can see the difference the photos made with the 24-70 and this for sure: http://www.haringphotography.com/blog/
It is sharp and creates beautiful colors. I love the creamy skin color it produces!

Apr 23, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
jojomon11

Registered: Sep 6, 2008
Review Date: Jan 16, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: quiet and sharp at 2f
Cons:
soft wide open, not what I expected, but focal length is pretty good

decent lens, I would think the 1.8 does the same, but cheaper

Jan 16, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jojomon11 to your Buddy List
fotojev

Registered: Feb 13, 2010
Review Date: Nov 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Robust, light weight, weather seal, good IQ, works with little light.
Cons:
A bit soft at F 1.4, a bit slow sometimes.

This is my standard lens for everything. What can I say more. It can be improved in several regards but in general it is very good especially given the relatively low price.

Very much recommended.

Nov 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fotojev to your Buddy List
Digital Gold

Registered: Apr 17, 2011
Review Date: Apr 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, build quality, Nikon Prime Image Quality
Cons:
a bit slower than I expected

It's been said a million times but I'll say it again, The Nikon prime collection is some of the sharpest lenses out for Nikon cameras. The build quality is real nice as compared to the older 1.4 option and the cheaper 1.8 counterpart. The lens is a bit soft wide open but at f2.0 to f/3.5 it's MEGA sharp. I prefer my 85mm 1.4 to the 50mm 1.4 for some reason but that's just my personal preference. Great portrait lens for the money.

To see some examples of photos taken with this lens please visit my website and photography blog: http://digitalgoldphotography.com

Feel free to reach out to me with any specific questions.

Apr 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Digital Gold to your Buddy List
yvesgajardo

Registered: Jun 25, 2010
Review Date: Feb 27, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp lens, fantastic out of focus elements, great for DX or FX format bodies, included bayonet hood is a plus, the build is very sturdy
Cons:
AF is a bit on the slow side

Feb 27, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yvesgajardo to your Buddy List
abam

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Jan 21, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: sharp from 2.8 on; good build quality; weather sealed; nice bokeh; not terribly expensive
Cons:
softish wide open; lower contrast wide open; slowish AF

i'll keep this as short as possible:

positives --the build quality is solid. the weather sealing is also nice to have, especially when using it with a weather sealed body like the D700. it doesn't break the bank. it's sharp from f2.8 onward (which is also a negative, incidentally). it's small and helps keep your rig relatively compact. it's OEM gear.

negatives -- the AF-S is slower than i had hoped; canon's ring USM (though the canon 50/1.4 doesn't have it) is a bit faster. the lens is (just like the canon 50/1.4) soft wide open, with low contrast. for me, f2.0 is the widest that i can shoot with this lens and get acceptably sharp images. 1.4 is only used if critical sharpness isn't necessary.

the main advantages of this lens to me, over the 1.8 version, are the build quality and weather sealing. both the 1.8 and 1.4 versions have to be stopped down to ~f2.8 to get critically sharp images, which is a shame, because the 1.4 costs nearly 4x what the 1.8 does. the AF-S drive is quieter than the 1.8's, but it's not faster (imo).

i'll keep this lens in my kit, but i welcome the day when the manufacturers finally create a 50/1.4 that is actually sharp wide open and has a snappy/accurate AF motor.

Jan 21, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abam to your Buddy List
OCphotography

Registered: Aug 23, 2008
Review Date: Aug 9, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp! Price, build.
Cons:
None!

Great walk around prime on FX. Perfect for portraits and low-light photography. Very sharp, AF works fast enough (though not fast as 24-70/70-200mm lenses, but still good.

I use mine mostly for portraits.
See some examples here:

Aug 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add OCphotography to your Buddy List
Gregg Heckler

Registered: Aug 7, 2005
Review Date: Jun 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, sharp wide open, solid build, great lens hood, less CA then D, excellent bokeh, quiet.
Cons:
Maybe the 58MM filter.

It is definitely sharper wide then the previous model with much less flare and CA. The bokeh is beautiful. The bayonet hood locks well and is a welcome addition. Focus could probably be a little faster for and AFS but hasn't really been an issue.

Jun 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gregg Heckler to your Buddy List
palna

Registered: Mar 8, 2010
Review Date: Mar 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, Sharp, Quick AF

Mar 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add palna to your Buddy List
Kliff

Registered: Nov 24, 2009
Review Date: Jan 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, very sharp wide open,good contrast, lightweight, inexpencive
Cons:
little too slow and sometimes hunting AF in low light on D3, some CA, nervous bokeh in some situations

Jan 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kliff to your Buddy List
wcl4

Registered: Aug 15, 2006
Review Date: Dec 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $365.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open. Not overly expensive.
Cons:
Some lateral CA. May require AF adjustment.

Having started with Nikon, then moving to Canon (full frame 5D) for a few years, and now back to Nikon again (D700), I have found the Nikon 50 1.4G AFS a nice change from the incredibly expensive L primes.

I've owned the Canon 50 1.4 and the Canon 50 1.2 and I prefer this lens to those two. The Nikon 50G has a nice build quality, not as nice as the 50 1.2 from Canon, but certainly nicer than the Canon 50 1.4. What I love about this lens is that it is sharper at 1.4, better contrast, saturation, overall coloration than the Canon equivalent. It's even sharper than the Canon 50L although the color rendition is not quite as nice, but fixable in post. And the kicker is it's 1/3 the price of the 50L. So though ~$400 isn't exactly cheap, compared to $1350 from Canon, it's a steal. I really didn't like the Canon 50 1.4 - it was soft wide open and the contrast was horrible. To me, the reason I buy these wide open primes is to do exactly that - use them wide open.

When I received this lens, I was pleasantly surprised by it's build quality. It doesn't have the cheap plasticky feel of some of the Nikon primes. It has a nice textured feel to the body. I've also bought the 35mm f2D and the 85 1.4D. The build of this falls closer to the 35.

On the D700, the proportions of the lens feels balanced on the body. It doesn't look disporportionately small like the 35 and not over large. The first shot I took at 1.4 was a little soft, but after spending some time with the AF fine tune, the lens is now tack sharp wide open. The bokeh on this lens has been impressive. I really like the look of the wide open shots. As I mentioned before, the saturation and contrast could be a little better like my 24-70 and 70-200mm VR II, but then again, it's a fraction of the price, and it is something I don't mind bumping up in post.

Overall I have been quite happy returning to Nikon. For the price of the 85mm 1.2L, I have purchased the 35 f2, the 50G, and the 85 1.4. Take note Canon how to make a nice lens without breaking the bank. I would highly recommend this lens and have no qualms about spending the extra money over the 50D based on build quality alone.

Overall I am quite pleased to be back with Nikon

Dec 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wcl4 to your Buddy List
Anxo

Registered: Jul 3, 2008
Review Date: Nov 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It is a lightweight, robust and well-house made, at a good price. It is very balanced in performance, clarity and selective approach.
Cons:
They say it's a bit slow, but on my D700 I'm fast enough autoenfocar people moving efficiently.

I used the old 50mm AFD, who say the new faster and mounted on my D700 I'm fast enough autoenfocar people moving efficiently. I compared pictures in the same space with the 1.2 AI-S and is just as bright, maybe for being a slow largest, with 58mm. All its features I think are good and more with the cheap price it has. I carry it always in my bag is light and bright, and always surprises me with excellent photos.

Nov 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Anxo to your Buddy List
AdrianGB

Registered: Jul 9, 2006
Review Date: Nov 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: accurate focus, good build, handles well on d700, sharpens nicely at f1.8-2 but still good at f1.4, nice bokeh
Cons:
not fast AF, but very deliberate.

I was slightly concerned about buying because of reports complaining of slow AF, and poor bokeh.

The AF is not as fast as some AFS lens but it is very accurate. It suits my pace of photography, and locks on nicely to people even in low light. No complaints there - but if you should fast moving sports it might not be the lens for you.

Bokeh is really good. I have read a lot of complaints, but my images are coming out with smooth near round highlights, that are clean and incredibly pleasing. The nine rounded aperture blades really do their stuff.

I use the lens for outdoor night photography, and for general walk arounds. It is nice, light and compact on a d700 - It is absolutely perfect. All I need now is for Nikon to do a 35mm AFS lens and I'll be in clover.

Nov 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AdrianGB to your Buddy List
Kittyk

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Review Date: Oct 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp wide open, very little CA, nice bokeh.
Cons:
flares lot but they are nice - if you learn them, you can exploit them, slow AF, hunts in low light.

pic is of AF-S 60micro btw.

it is good replacement of old 50er but i was hoping for a bit more. Especially for two reasons:

1) 50 1.8 is so good so they could stretch it a bit even at bigger expense (nano coat, faster af?).

2) FX is well established and therefor 50mm makes sense again.

I recommend it to everybody who dont have any 1.4 or uses FX. If you have old 1.4 50mm, dont bother.

Oct 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kittyk to your Buddy List

Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S Nikkor