76 105899 Jun 26, 2012
canon_eos_7_d

With a host of brand new features designed to enhance every facet of the photographic process, from still images to video, the new EOS 7D represents a whole new class of camera.

Made to be the tool of choice for serious photographers and semi-professionals, the EOS 7D features an all-new 18.0 Megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors, capturing tremendous images at up to ISO 12800 and speeds of up to 8 fps. The EOS 7D has a new all cross-type 19-point AF system with improved AI Servo II AF subject tracking and user-selectable AF area selection modes for sharp focus no matter the situation. The EOS 7D's Intelligent Viewfinder, an entirely newly-designed technology, provides 100% coverage and displays user-selected AF modes as well as a spot metering circle and on demand grid lines. New iFCL Metering with 63-zone dual-layer metering system uses both focus and color information to provide accurate exposure even in difficult lighting. The EOS 7D also captures Full HD video at 30p (29.97 fps), 24p (23.976 fps) and 25p with an array of manual controls, including manual exposure during movie shooting and ISO speed selection. The EOS 7D features a magnesium alloy body that is dust- and weather-resistant and shutter durability of up to 150,000 cycles. Compatible with over 60 EF and EF-S lenses as well as with EOS System accessories, the creative opportunities - not just with stills but also with video - are beyond amazement.

* 18.0 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors for high image quality and speed.

* ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12,800) for shooting from bright to dim light.

* 8.0 fps continuous shooting up to 126 Large/JPEGs with UDMA CF card and 15 RAW.

* Advanced movie mode with manual exposure control and selectable frame rates: 1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p, 1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p, 640 x 480 (SD): 60p (59.94) / 50p.

* Intelligent Viewfinder with 100% field of view, wide viewing angle of 29.4į, high magnification of 1.0, intelligent viewfinder with glass pentaprism and an overlaid LCD display in viewfinder supports various shooting styles.

* New 19-point, all cross-type AF system equipped with dual diagonal cross-type sensors in center at f/2.8 and f/5.6 and AF area selection modes to match various shooting situations.

* iFCL Metering with 63 zone dual-layer metering sensor that utilizes AF and color information for optimizing exposure and image quality.

* Magnesium body with shutter durability up to 150,000 cycles and exclusive dust and weather resistance.

dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Jun 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Very well designed, fast in use, 8FPS, lovely LCD, video, Solid build, pop-up flash, remote flash control, very customisable
Cons:
Image quality not quite there yet, no better than 550D. Not bad but noisy if files are manipulated much - needs good exposure. Would much prefer 5 Frames Per Second option rather than just 8 or 3. Focusing system effective if over-complex. Only 3 frames auto-bracketing and then only 3 stops, why not more in a semi-pro model?

This is a good, but not great camera.

The IQ is essentially exactly the same as my 550D so I knew what I was getting, the body is vastly superior, well built and very fast in use with a lovely LCD. The lack of dual card slots is a shame.

The RAW files tend to fall apart very easily with post processing, noise becomes a problem much more quickly than with my full frame Canons.

I would also much prefer a 5FPS option than just 8 or 3 with nothing in-between, how hard would that have been Canon?

Some of the button-press combinations needed to register AF points are absurd, including pressing the light switch! Far too complex. However being able to set different points in horizontal and vertical orientation is excellent and useful.

The AF system always gets it wrong when the camera chooses the AF point, it ALWAYS goes for the nearest thing, this is confusing a lot of people. Much better just to pick one AF point, which is a shame at this level of camera.

There's no doubt this is the best of the current Canon APS-C cameras and Canon have seen fit to include this sensor in all their new APS-C models, so it's now been in the 7D, 550D, 600D, 650D and 60D, so Canon feel it's good enough. It's nowhere near as good as a 5DII sensor though, not even close.

All in all, I'm a bit underwhelmed. It's good but it's not great. But then I got mine cheap.

Jun 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jun 9, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: A very nice camera to use, superb fast drive with very quiet shutter and a decent built in flash.
Cons:
Noise and a slight painted look to the images.

Like others have said" I really wanted to like this camera" Don`t get me wrong almost everything about it is very good. In fairness I use a couple of 5D2`s and was looking for a light camera that would give my longer lenses a bit more reach so to speak and it did just that. The shutter and mirror return is everything you could want from a DSLR and puts the 5d2 to shame as far as the clonk goes. That was one of the reasons i was interested in the camera because it did have such a nice sweet release that didn`t attract attention. I have to scrutinize my images at 100% to spot them before sending them to a stock agency and although you are told time and time again not to look at 100% if you have to then you have to and the difference between the 7D and 5d2 comes off the screen and slaps you around the face. The few images that I felt good enough to submit needed some sharpening( you are not supposed to use any form of sharpeningBTW) but I had my doubts that they would get through QC without a tweak. For some reason even my Contax and Leica lenses didn`t shine like they do on the 5d2 which was a thing that surprised me really because when used on any other camera I have owned they have always improved the IQ.(and that was tripod, MU and live view)
Noise seemed to crop up in all sorts of places that you wouldn`t have expected it and was a job to get rid of without also affecting the fine detail. I`ve been saying for quite some time now that 21million pixels on FF is at the pinnacle and if I`m right the FF version of this chip would be over 30million pixels, even the new nikon 800 has people complaining about the 100% IQ and really no wonder. No doubt technology will catch up in time. I did a comparison with my old throw in the car 500D and although obviously not in the same league as the 7D in so many ways the actual noise and IQ was just slightly better and a lot easier to manage from noise and sharpness (of course the 7D could shoot at much higher ISO and get better results than the 500D as you went higher)
I`m not going to completely slate the 7D because in many many ways it is an excellent camera and if you can come down from something like the 5D mk1 and 2 and could care less about 100% pixel peeping you will have a very capable and enjoyable camera to use but don`t think things are going to look similar in any way to FF when scrutinized.

Jun 9, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
RikWriter

Registered: Jun 22, 2004
Review Date: May 30, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very fast and accurate focussing, good resolution, the increased resolution allows more cropping, fast frame rate, excellent video quality.
Cons:
Lots of noise in any shot taken over ISO 640. Shots with ISO 1600 or more are nearly unusable. Lots of noise even at lower ISOs in any image with a lot of water or sky in it.

All in all, I find this camera to be a very useful and versatile instrument and I do not feel poorly equipped when it is my only camera. However, it does have a weakness that irks me: very high digital noise at high ISOs. If Canon could solve this problem, this camera would be near perfect. As it is, I don't feel comfortable going over ISO 800 in this camera, which limits its versatility.

May 30, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RikWriter to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: Apr 28, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: speed auto focus
Cons:
learning curve

I got the 7D as an upgrade to my 50D (which I still use as well) and was amazed at the speed and accuracy. The only problem I had was my images initially seemed soft. I took a lot of photos and did a lot of reading and eventually began to get results. after the most recent firmware update I noted how much of an improvement there seemed to be noise wise. I have passed this camera onto my husband as I mainly use my 5DII but I would not hesitate to recommend it to those needing feed and accuracy, great for sports

these were all shot with the 7D

Apr 28, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
ivofreriks

Registered: Feb 27, 2012
Review Date: Mar 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Bright, large optical viewfinder with 100% viewfinder coverage A picture quality you would expect from a prosumer camera Additional sealing against dust and water Fast autofocus and with 8 frames per second fast image processing
Cons:
No in-camera correction of distortion and chromatic aberration All 19 AF points located in the center Buffer is full after 15 RAW files

There are a lot of positive things to say about the Canon 7D. The camera and autofocus are fast. The picture quality is comparable to the Canon 5D MK2. The viewfinder and the screen are very pleasant to work with. We have not tested it, but the camera is also very suitable to make full HD videos with in terms of specifications.

Why would you choose a Canon 7D instead of a Canon 60D or a Canon 5D MK2? The Canon 7D is in many respects almost equivalent to the Canon 5D MK2, but offers more modern video capabilities, while the price is much lower. The crop factor of 1.6 and the rapid image processing makes the Canon 7D more suitable for sports and wildlife photographers than the Canon 5D MK2. The Canon 5D MK2 has nicer bokeh and a higher resolution in the RAW files.

The Canon 60D is cheaper than the Canon 7D and uses the same 18-megapixel sensor. The bright viewfinder and larger viewfinder magnification of the Canon 7D is a major advantage over the Canon 60D. But the Canon 7D also offers several features that are normally only found on professional cameras, such as the extra seal against dust and water, and the built-in wireless control of flash. And that is something the Canon 60D does not have.

See full review at:

Mar 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ivofreriks to your Buddy List
Flathead94

Registered: Jan 12, 2012
Review Date: Jan 12, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,499.00

Pros: Build quality, UI, electronic viewfinder grid, movie mode, micro focus adjust
Cons:
soft, inconsistent focus, noise

I was a 50D owner who decided to upgrade to the 7D based on the movie mode, weather sealing, and other cool features. What I was not expecting was that images from the 7D would lack the "pop" that the 50D had, even with the same lenses.

My first outing with the 7D was the most shocking. I took my 300 F4 L IS prime to a horse stable and filmed my girlfriend with her horse. When I got back, most of the photos were out of focus to varying degrees. While only a few were flat-out of focus, most ďjust missedĒ, and thatís the most infuriating part. I refer to my 7D as the ďjust missedĒ camera. It never really seems to nail a photo all the way. My 50D, 40D, XTi, and XT had no trouble doing this regardless of focus modes or user modes. You could swap on a lens during a sunny day and expect sharp, in-focus images. Not so with the 7D. This is especially problematic with telephoto lenses.

After months of playing with focus modes and experimenting with micro focus adjust, it never really made a difference. True, the 7D has a more complex focus system, but I also think itís just plain inaccurate. Although my 50D was a touch slower, the keeper rate was far higher. Looking back over my Lightroom 3 library, images from 2010 and the 50D (with the same lenses shooting wildlife and landscape) are superior to the 7D images. Why? There are several reasons. First, the low ISO noise on the 7D is just too much. You better nail exposure or you get punished. This should not be the case for a $1500 camera. There are too many pixels packed onto this sensor. This also affects camera shake. I have to shoot at higher shutter speeds handheld with the 7D than the 50D.
The 7Dís RAW files are mushy compared to the 50D and 40D files. This inherent softness combined with the noise makes for unappealing images that do not inspire confidence. It also seriously reduces the ability to crop. The room for cropping on the 50D and 40D was outstanding. Not so on the 7D because you end up exaggerating noise and softness.

Yes, the 7D offers cool features such as electronic viewfinder grid, a killer movie mode, weather-sealing, and a sharp look and build, but none of these things matter if the IQ isnít there.

The handling of the camera is great. Itís super fast. It feels like a well-oiled machine and everything is roses and sunshineÖuntil you see your photos.

For you 40D and 50D users out there, donít bother upgrading to the 7D like I did. Youíre getting better IQ with what you have. The only upgrade from your cameras is the 5DII, which is where Iím heading once I get my 7D back from Canon.

I wanted to love the 7D. Itís an attractive camera with whiz-bang features. But the IQ just isnít what youíd expect from a $1500 lens. Before I went to DSLRís, I shot with fabled consumer super zooms like Canon S2ís and Fuji S602. These were fun cameras, but I moved away from them because of poor low ISO noise and mushy files. Moving to the XT was a revelation in clean files and sharp images. But Iíve got to say, the 7D feels like a slide back to those super zooms.

One last note: The 7Dís IQ is better at wider angles for some reason, although still a bit mushier than the 50D. Images from my 17-40L were respectable, if not having a bit of super zoom look to the files. That said, every single lens I own worked perfectly and was much sharper on my 50D and 40D.

Jan 12, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Flathead94 to your Buddy List
spaceheat

Registered: Aug 24, 2009
Review Date: May 22, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Frames per Second, Buffer Speed, Build Quality, Sensor's Image Quality, Intelligent Menu Structure, Battery Life
Cons:
Complicated AF presents a learning curve... but you can get great results if you are persistent. DPP workflow just blows... Just make a Lightroom plugin already! Files kind of fall apart at ISO 3200 and above unless you get perfect focus. ETTL while bouncing flash sucks (You have to manually change the flash zoom to 105mm in order for it to work).

I purchased the 7D a little over a year ago as a second body to compliment my 5D. Initially, I was very impressed by the build quality... It feels like a solid camera, even more so than my 5D classic. I thought the mirror assembly looked tiny, but this is my first crop camera. The autofocus was a welcome upgrade and since every point was cross type, I was looking forward to the end of "Focus and Recompose" since this is essentially how you use the 5D with it's center point.

My setup while on assignment is to shoot the 7D w/ 70-200mm and the 5D w/ a 35mm or short zoom. This works well for me with the 7D getting the candids while the 5D gets the portraits, details, and environmentals.

In the first 6 months, I found out that upgrading to Lightroom 3 was a necessity for working with these files. The detail and grain quality that was being rendered in LR2 was kind of disappointing. Once I upgraded though, I moved closer to realizing the camera's potential. DPP works fine and you can even get more quality from the files using this software, but the workflow is unbearable. If you are constantly sorting and processing tons of images, I don't see how anyone could use it.

The other thing that I struggled with was getting tack sharp images. Due to the resolving power of the sensor... it can expose weak technique. I felt that I needed to get to know the camera a bit more before raising a fit and sending it back... because there were instances when I would get great focus... other times, not so much.

I would describe my tack sharp rate around 60 sharp to 40 soft, depending on the lighting. Sometimes it was as low as 50/50 if the light was very dim. I had frequently considered sending the camera back, but couldn't afford to be without it since I shoot assignments on a weekly basis. I figured that if I strived to learn to use the AF better, that those numbers would eventually improve.

Fast forward to last week. I was covering the Chicago Mayoral Inauguration. 95% of the shots were long zoom so I was using the 7D for these. There was one instance where I got an absolute money shot... Rahm Emanuel was on the side stage with his arm around his daughter waiting for the ceremony to begin. They were just resting there having a father/daughter moment. No one else saw it... I was stoked!

When I went to process the images from the event I was furious to find that all of those images were out of focus. I opened the images in DPP and it confirmed that I was focusing on his face... but the focal point was in front of that, or front focused. I got many keepers from the event, but was noticing a trend in most of the out of focus shots... they were all front focused.

So I finally broke down, and did a micro adjustment for a couple of lenses. I just printed out a focus chart that I downloaded from somewhere and shot a full range from -20 to +20, in increments of 5. After reviewing the results, I made the necessary adjustments. I was worried that I was making things worse, because the owner's manual says that this is usually not necessary, but went ahead and shot my next assignment with the adjustments.

All I can say is that it seems to have made all the difference. My keeper rate jumped to around 85 sharp to 15 soft, using single point and single spot point. I am now kicking myself for not doing this sooner. The manual should be revised to say that this is an absolute necessary step before using the camera in the field.

I know it sounds ridiculous that it took me over a year to finally realize this, but I found that I was leaning heavily towards shooting my 5D and would just get supplemental shots with the 7D. If I knew I was only shooting portraits, the 7D wouldn't even be in the bag. This probably slowed down the learning curve, but I just couldn't afford to fully experiment with the camera on the job... since the results were consistently inconsistent.

So to break down my rating, I would say the following. If I were to post this review before doing the micro-adjustments, I would not have recommended this camera for professional use and would have rated it a 5... too unreliable. After seeing the results after the micro adjustments, I would have recommended it and given it a rating of 9. So the verdict is 8 IMO. I could see this number going up to a 9 or 10 for me in the future, but I just need more time with the camera.

May 22, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add spaceheat to your Buddy List
Jeriann3

Registered: Mar 19, 2003
Review Date: May 18, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well built, great ISO range, 8fps w/o grip, Dual processors, Image Quality, Focus choices, QuickView of settings, Super Movie Mode, easy to learn Menus
Cons:
Sophisticated, there's a learning curve, for everyone

I had lost my trusty Nikon D300S in a recent auto accident, and had an opportunity to replace it or go w/ the 7D. Since I'm getting serious about wildlife/birding and associated video, the specs for the 7D in the video and the bit higher resolution really peaked my interest. I also was able to acquire an EF L500, a lens I've long wanted for wildlife, whereas the comparable on the Nikon side would take me a bit longer to acquire.

Am I pleased with my choice of the 7D over the D300S - absolutely. The two cameras are often compared and both are great for wildlife and birding, which is what I've dedicated this system for. I still have other Nikon bodies - D200, D2H which will now be used for scenics, and other shooting as I didn't want to dismiss with my collection of great lenses!

I had researched and had some concerns about the 7D, reading mostly user reviews, but also saw very high marks given across the boards, and so I concluded as has almost always been the case with both Nikon and Canons - some faulty bodies to find their way to the masses. I experienced that with my D2H and the common metering issues, which was sent in to Nikon, repaired promptly, and has worked flawlessly ever since.

I am not seeing any AF issues at all w/ my 7D... but it's a different camera than I've been used to. I had to become familiar with the various settings and options. I found a resource that quickly got me up to speed ... Arthur Morris' 7D Setup Guide - right down my alley for the type of photography I wanted to obtain from this camera.

I've had mine a little over a month, have shot about 5-6K images, and am very pleased with the rate of keeper images. I'm still adjusting to various AF settings for birds in flight and action photography, but have found I can live with the 19 AF points, as well as the expanded spot and do quite well. I shoot RAW, and haven't loaded the supplied software, I use Adobe Lightroom to process my raw images and adjustments needed have been minimal.

As far as video, just dappled a bit, but very pleased with the video interface. The integral mic does a better job than the D300S did as far as eliminating camera noises, but I use a yamaha pocket recording to capture sound independently of the camera.

Body handling wise, I found both cameras very similar... I love the 100 percent viewfinder of the 7D. So soooo far sooo good and happy to add this camara to my lineup!

May 18, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeriann3 to your Buddy List
asanduloiu

Registered: Feb 2, 2009
Location: Romania
Review Date: Mar 16, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent built, fast and accurate AF, good images.
Cons:
None so far.

Well, before buying it I've red some of the reviews here, especially the negative ones and I was quite disappointed, at a moment thinking not going to buy it. But, being adviced by a friend who owes the 7D among some other cameras, I bought it about a month ago and I'm happy with it.
I'm still on a learning curve because this machinery is a LOT different than my previous 40D. I took each type of autofocusing, for example and tested it and just after jumped to the next mode. You have to "train" your mind and hand to became used with all the new features.
There are a lot of new features which -if you don't pay attention to- can generate an unhappy feeling due to some imperfections. So, the instruction book has to be read attentively, it's all there! I still have it in my photobag, which never hapent before with any camera.
I also bought a silicon antischock case, even if the camera is so solid and well built. I do mainly outdoor photography, so it is very usefull for this kind of work, at about 25 Euro...
Oh! And my recommendation for those who would like to buy the 7D, never to compare its' pictures, with a 5DII ones'. You can't compare the images taken on a crop senzor with a those taken on full frame. It's like comparing apples with dates...
Some new pictures with the new toy are on www.sanduloiu.ro

Mar 16, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asanduloiu to your Buddy List
cdryall

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Feb 14, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Well built, excellent FPS, long battery life, great new features including electronic level, quick menu and wireless flash transmitter - overall very good value for money...
Cons:
The AF - whilst the number of options were great I could never get it to be consistently accurate with my longer L lenses 100-400 and 300 2.8 - which my 5D2 and 30D were, but more importantly noise, noise and noise

I really, really wanted to love this camera - after all I have been an APS C fan since the 300D and have been through a 30D, 40D, 50D to the 7D. I have also have had a 1D3 in the past and have a 5D2. Given business / family aspects, I no longer have the time on my hands to use my kit as I should, only really shooting wildlife and a small number of events (weddings etc) these days. So after early reviews I was hoping that the 7D would finally allow me to keep only one body to cover my requirements.

To be fair it is a well put together unit with great functionality and form. Even the battery grip design is far better than in the past. Whilst the breadth of AF functionality was clearly superior to prior APS C models I never really felt 100% confident of its consistency and it did not match the 1D3 (which despite its reputation I found superb) for birds in flight etc.nor should I have expected this given the price difference.

However I probably could have perservered with the AF aspects and found the time to get this working for me, but at the end of the day I just could not live with the noise - at high ISO's it was not too bad actually but when I was using low ISO's I found it offensive and struggled to get the noise reduction / sharpening balance to be acceptable. Its not a FF and I accept this, but to me its just too many pixels for the sensor at this stage of CMOS development - and so it's had to go...

Feb 14, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cdryall to your Buddy List
rkw624

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Review Date: Jan 30, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build, 8fps with a short shutter lag, new AF system, dual processors, Speedlite transmitter, AF microadjustment, JPEG/RAW button, full HD video, great upgrade from a 20D, 40D, Excellent camera for sports.
Cons:
Dual cards not available.

I bought this camera in addition to owning the 20D and 40D. I have used it about three months now and I can say this camera is fantastic. I have used it mainly for indoor sports in poorly lit gyms. So far it has performed very well using flash on and off the camera and aslo taking the ISO to 6400 at some events with no flash and the photos are just great. Can't wait for spring sports!

Get the maual out and read it then read it again. Lots of new stuff to understand and learn!

Jan 30, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rkw624 to your Buddy List
jeansebc1

Registered: Jul 11, 2007
Review Date: Jan 18, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,300.00

Pros: Good handling, sharp when using live view autofocus or manual, 18meg.
Cons:
Focus that works randomly, Canon service center that ignores ( they just attempt to adjust focus) the problem if the camera has the af defect.

I got a lemon. the autofocus is the most important aspect for me of a camera. returned 3 times mine and paid for last time for the repair, and still get same result. dont get fool by canon who does the test with the alignment chart, I have've done the test with it and it works under this condition. but in many others the camera just randomly focus back, front or will focus. usually 8 oof out of 10 pict. in studio for example with 1600watts stobes and 500watts bulb for ambiant light tripod 1/125 f8, af center point the camera will just get the eye many times oof. outside during daylight, for some reason I dont know it will sometimes behave well and get all the shot in focus, then taking some pictures again the autofocus will behave crazy and lot of oof. I have 40d 5d and xt and never have this.

then canon service will only do the test with the alignment chart, the problem is, I didnt buy a camera to take pictures of black bars but to shoot models and food products, hopefuly the live view works, however you dont want to use all the time a tripod so live view is not the way to go.

if you get a good copy enjoy shooting. if you get a copy with af problem, return it if you just buy it and get another copy until you get one with good af, otherwise like me you're gonna waste money and time to get it repair and never really get repaired.

Jan 18, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jeansebc1 to your Buddy List
decline

Registered: Jan 12, 2011
Review Date: Jan 12, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Very sharp, ease of use.
Cons:
low light performance not good. Noise, noise, noise at all iso levels when shooting in lowlight

My high expectations came crashing down when I took this camera out in the field. I have tried every setting available to get the best out of this camera, but the autofocus and ISO performance is poor.

When shooting birds in flight with a blue skye background the noise is so destructive that when you finally land an in-focus shot you can not use it. The noise is so high that all details is lost even on a 300mm f2.8 lens. I have owned just about every pro and semi pro camera Canon camera and the 7D will not stay in my line-up.

Jan 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add decline to your Buddy List
kiskockas

Registered: Dec 29, 2010
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Dec 30, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: speed, IQ, AF, a category of its own amongst cropped SLRs
Cons:
mainly the attitude of the producing company, weather resistance is a simple lie

Greetings to all readers!

I've loved this body. Upgraded from a 450D it is really an other category. Later I had a chance to use a 5DMkII, and the 7D is better in everything, expect the sensor.

Unfortunately it is NOT weather resistant at all! And I didn't put it under water. Just used it in light rain, in weather conditions, where my previous cameras worked super, without any failiure, and my mate photographers other cameras also worked well. At the first time the joystick button of the 7D failed to work, but recovered after some drying. But at the second occasion the body recieved serious damage with a lot of functions inoperable. I say again, it was only drizzle, nothing serious. The bill of the repair is about the 80% of a new one. Canons kind answer for the problem, was, that even if the 7D is published to be dust and weather resistant, the warranty doesn't cover weather damage at all, and next time I should better coose a 1DMk4, which is much more weather resistant then the 7D. LOL
So, even if it is a great body in sunshine, I really hesitate to switch to Nikon due to the attitude of Canon Company.

Dec 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kiskockas to your Buddy List
JackyFong

Registered: Apr 27, 2006
Review Date: Nov 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid body, 100% viewfinder, Weather sealed, Fast AF, Have auto focus function while on live view, Intergated Speedlite Transmitter, Slightly improved CF card door
Cons:
Its a cropped body... Should be a 1.3x...

Greetings to all readers,

Bought a brand new EOS 7D body to act as a second body for my EOS 1Dmk2, this 7D features the new and improved functions for a cropped body.

First & foremost, the body itself is well built, fits well on my hands, reminds me of a 5D body which I had a few months ago. Although it is a cropped body, but it does not feel like a 1.6x. Oh manz, I thought it should have been a 1.3x for serious & semi-pro photographers. The pop-out flash area, it does not have the impression that a pop-out flash is there. Its well-designed ergonomics have covered the pop-out flash parts and when you touch it, there seems to be no lines felt between the flash and its main body!

Next, like all cropped bodies, the 7D is proned to noise as well, but performs better. All images, if well exposed, will have lesser noise. Picture are also vibrant and rich. Most of all, there is a better improved 'Live View' function which features auto focus even when live view is on. This a tremendous improvements over the 50D live view function. The 7D's live view is almost exactly to the picture taken. Great for taking landscape is that there is built in electronic lever to ensure the horizon is straight.

Auto focus speed is fast, if not quick. I have tried mine in an indoor theme park in Gentings Highlands, when indoor, it has fast AF and tracking speed. Have not tried darker areas but I seldom shoot in lowlight events. Its AF points, is selectable when you manually adjusted in the menu options.

A 100% viewfinder is introduced into this body, which is a major boost for small-eyed photographer like me. Also which I like to mention is that the grid can be added to the viewfinder for better compsition. Its CF compartment door is different from other cropped bodies and 5D series, It is more rugged but I think Canon can improve more. It also has an 'Integrated Speedlite Transmitter' which I have no time to try, but I think I am more to an event / studio photographer than strobist. I can say this transmitter is great for strobist. There is also a "Studio Version" called the 7D SV, for studio usage but I dont think in Singapore it is available.

We will go to the top LCD panel next. It has a new 4-bar battery indicator to show the level of battery remaining. Beware, some 3 party batteries might not have the battery indicator shown on the 7D, but newer third parties have this problem remedied. But a piece of good advice, never use third parties batteries. Even if you should, buy from a trusted shop. If not, use original.

The 7D is a ''truely different class'' to other cropped bodies.

Regards

Nov 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JackyFong to your Buddy List
Paulius

Registered: Oct 4, 2009
Review Date: Oct 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Viewfinder, file quality, fast operation, built etc
Cons:
the viewfinder not very suited for manual focusing, i would prefer some more customisable controls.

I use it for portraiture and street photography.
The AF is frustrating. At first. When you find your perfect setting it becomes a beast. I usually use spot AF but i still find that the AF can get confused. Not a big issue when u figure out why it does that. More of an issue is that when AF point covers the eye it will focus on the eyebrow (even though it is slightly off the focus area). Kind of annoying when I am used to using wide apertures (1.4 -2).
But overall it is a wonderful peace of equipment. The sigma 30 just shines on it. Add to this the incredibly comfortable grip and overall feel of the camera and it becomes a very capable machine bringing wonderful image quality. Though u will be left disappointed - it wont make u a far better photog!

Oct 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paulius to your Buddy List

76 105899 Jun 26, 2012