81 114626 Jun 10, 2015
canon_eos_7_d

With a host of brand new features designed to enhance every facet of the photographic process, from still images to video, the new EOS 7D represents a whole new class of camera.

Made to be the tool of choice for serious photographers and semi-professionals, the EOS 7D features an all-new 18.0 Megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors, capturing tremendous images at up to ISO 12800 and speeds of up to 8 fps. The EOS 7D has a new all cross-type 19-point AF system with improved AI Servo II AF subject tracking and user-selectable AF area selection modes for sharp focus no matter the situation. The EOS 7D's Intelligent Viewfinder, an entirely newly-designed technology, provides 100% coverage and displays user-selected AF modes as well as a spot metering circle and on demand grid lines. New iFCL Metering with 63-zone dual-layer metering system uses both focus and color information to provide accurate exposure even in difficult lighting. The EOS 7D also captures Full HD video at 30p (29.97 fps), 24p (23.976 fps) and 25p with an array of manual controls, including manual exposure during movie shooting and ISO speed selection. The EOS 7D features a magnesium alloy body that is dust- and weather-resistant and shutter durability of up to 150,000 cycles. Compatible with over 60 EF and EF-S lenses as well as with EOS System accessories, the creative opportunities - not just with stills but also with video - are beyond amazement.

* 18.0 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors for high image quality and speed.

* ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12,800) for shooting from bright to dim light.

* 8.0 fps continuous shooting up to 126 Large/JPEGs with UDMA CF card and 15 RAW.

* Advanced movie mode with manual exposure control and selectable frame rates: 1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p, 1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p, 640 x 480 (SD): 60p (59.94) / 50p.

* Intelligent Viewfinder with 100% field of view, wide viewing angle of 29.4, high magnification of 1.0, intelligent viewfinder with glass pentaprism and an overlaid LCD display in viewfinder supports various shooting styles.

* New 19-point, all cross-type AF system equipped with dual diagonal cross-type sensors in center at f/2.8 and f/5.6 and AF area selection modes to match various shooting situations.

* iFCL Metering with 63 zone dual-layer metering sensor that utilizes AF and color information for optimizing exposure and image quality.

* Magnesium body with shutter durability up to 150,000 cycles and exclusive dust and weather resistance.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

jeansebc1

Registered: Jul 11, 2007
Review Date: Jan 18, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,300.00

Pros: Good handling, sharp when using live view autofocus or manual, 18meg.
Cons:
Focus that works randomly, Canon service center that ignores ( they just attempt to adjust focus) the problem if the camera has the af defect.

I got a lemon. the autofocus is the most important aspect for me of a camera. returned 3 times mine and paid for last time for the repair, and still get same result. dont get fool by canon who does the test with the alignment chart, I have've done the test with it and it works under this condition. but in many others the camera just randomly focus back, front or will focus. usually 8 oof out of 10 pict. in studio for example with 1600watts stobes and 500watts bulb for ambiant light tripod 1/125 f8, af center point the camera will just get the eye many times oof. outside during daylight, for some reason I dont know it will sometimes behave well and get all the shot in focus, then taking some pictures again the autofocus will behave crazy and lot of oof. I have 40d 5d and xt and never have this.

then canon service will only do the test with the alignment chart, the problem is, I didnt buy a camera to take pictures of black bars but to shoot models and food products, hopefuly the live view works, however you dont want to use all the time a tripod so live view is not the way to go.

if you get a good copy enjoy shooting. if you get a copy with af problem, return it if you just buy it and get another copy until you get one with good af, otherwise like me you're gonna waste money and time to get it repair and never really get repaired.

Jan 18, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jeansebc1 to your Buddy List
decline

Registered: Jan 12, 2011
Review Date: Jan 12, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Very sharp, ease of use.
Cons:
low light performance not good. Noise, noise, noise at all iso levels when shooting in lowlight

My high expectations came crashing down when I took this camera out in the field. I have tried every setting available to get the best out of this camera, but the autofocus and ISO performance is poor.

When shooting birds in flight with a blue skye background the noise is so destructive that when you finally land an in-focus shot you can not use it. The noise is so high that all details is lost even on a 300mm f2.8 lens. I have owned just about every pro and semi pro camera Canon camera and the 7D will not stay in my line-up.

Jan 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add decline to your Buddy List
kiskockas

Registered: Dec 29, 2010
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Dec 30, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: speed, IQ, AF, a category of its own amongst cropped SLRs
Cons:
mainly the attitude of the producing company, weather resistance is a simple lie

Greetings to all readers!

I've loved this body. Upgraded from a 450D it is really an other category. Later I had a chance to use a 5DMkII, and the 7D is better in everything, expect the sensor.

Unfortunately it is NOT weather resistant at all! And I didn't put it under water. Just used it in light rain, in weather conditions, where my previous cameras worked super, without any failiure, and my mate photographers other cameras also worked well. At the first time the joystick button of the 7D failed to work, but recovered after some drying. But at the second occasion the body recieved serious damage with a lot of functions inoperable. I say again, it was only drizzle, nothing serious. The bill of the repair is about the 80% of a new one. Canons kind answer for the problem, was, that even if the 7D is published to be dust and weather resistant, the warranty doesn't cover weather damage at all, and next time I should better coose a 1DMk4, which is much more weather resistant then the 7D. LOL
So, even if it is a great body in sunshine, I really hesitate to switch to Nikon due to the attitude of Canon Company.

Dec 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kiskockas to your Buddy List
JackyFong

Registered: Apr 27, 2006
Review Date: Nov 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid body, 100% viewfinder, Weather sealed, Fast AF, Have auto focus function while on live view, Intergated Speedlite Transmitter, Slightly improved CF card door
Cons:
Its a cropped body... Should be a 1.3x...

Greetings to all readers,

Bought a brand new EOS 7D body to act as a second body for my EOS 1Dmk2, this 7D features the new and improved functions for a cropped body.

First & foremost, the body itself is well built, fits well on my hands, reminds me of a 5D body which I had a few months ago. Although it is a cropped body, but it does not feel like a 1.6x. Oh manz, I thought it should have been a 1.3x for serious & semi-pro photographers. The pop-out flash area, it does not have the impression that a pop-out flash is there. Its well-designed ergonomics have covered the pop-out flash parts and when you touch it, there seems to be no lines felt between the flash and its main body!

Next, like all cropped bodies, the 7D is proned to noise as well, but performs better. All images, if well exposed, will have lesser noise. Picture are also vibrant and rich. Most of all, there is a better improved 'Live View' function which features auto focus even when live view is on. This a tremendous improvements over the 50D live view function. The 7D's live view is almost exactly to the picture taken. Great for taking landscape is that there is built in electronic lever to ensure the horizon is straight.

Auto focus speed is fast, if not quick. I have tried mine in an indoor theme park in Gentings Highlands, when indoor, it has fast AF and tracking speed. Have not tried darker areas but I seldom shoot in lowlight events. Its AF points, is selectable when you manually adjusted in the menu options.

A 100% viewfinder is introduced into this body, which is a major boost for small-eyed photographer like me. Also which I like to mention is that the grid can be added to the viewfinder for better compsition. Its CF compartment door is different from other cropped bodies and 5D series, It is more rugged but I think Canon can improve more. It also has an 'Integrated Speedlite Transmitter' which I have no time to try, but I think I am more to an event / studio photographer than strobist. I can say this transmitter is great for strobist. There is also a "Studio Version" called the 7D SV, for studio usage but I dont think in Singapore it is available.

We will go to the top LCD panel next. It has a new 4-bar battery indicator to show the level of battery remaining. Beware, some 3 party batteries might not have the battery indicator shown on the 7D, but newer third parties have this problem remedied. But a piece of good advice, never use third parties batteries. Even if you should, buy from a trusted shop. If not, use original.

The 7D is a ''truely different class'' to other cropped bodies.

Regards

Nov 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JackyFong to your Buddy List
Paulius

Registered: Oct 4, 2009
Review Date: Oct 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Viewfinder, file quality, fast operation, built etc
Cons:
the viewfinder not very suited for manual focusing, i would prefer some more customisable controls.

I use it for portraiture and street photography.
The AF is frustrating. At first. When you find your perfect setting it becomes a beast. I usually use spot AF but i still find that the AF can get confused. Not a big issue when u figure out why it does that. More of an issue is that when AF point covers the eye it will focus on the eyebrow (even though it is slightly off the focus area). Kind of annoying when I am used to using wide apertures (1.4 -2).
But overall it is a wonderful peace of equipment. The sigma 30 just shines on it. Add to this the incredibly comfortable grip and overall feel of the camera and it becomes a very capable machine bringing wonderful image quality. Though u will be left disappointed - it wont make u a far better photog!

Oct 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paulius to your Buddy List
Schuit

Registered: Mar 9, 2008
Review Date: Oct 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Fast, a million different setting are possible, great build, almost water resistant, great battery life, splendid colors, large sharp LCD, 100% viewfinder
Cons:
AF system only usefull for brilliant minds like Stephen Hawkins, needs expensive lenses to use all potential, after every shot your LCD is dirty from your nose (really annoying)

I use this camera for quite some time (more than a year) but I'm still on a learning curve. As a former user of the 30d I thought I wouldn't have any difficulties mastering the 7d. I was wrong! I took me about 3 months taking pictures and visiting hundreds of websites to gather the needed information that would do it for me to get the right settings in all circumstances.

Sometimes I had the urge to wack it against a wall but I was able to keep my nerve. Making 10 shots I had maybe 2 keepers and the rest was way out of focus. The default setting of the AF-systeem are crap! You have to activate the 2 other settings as well before you can make sharp pictures most of the time. I also use the manual Carl Zeiss Planar T ZE 50mm F 1.4 and together with the 7d that also was room for headaches. Luckily my 17-55mm F 2.8 was able to compensate with some very nice pictures.

I know the 7d had all the potential to become a classic if Canon had delivered a AF-system users could understand in a day of use. According thousands of users it took them way longer to get used to the (to)advanced AF-system.

Oct 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Schuit to your Buddy List
IronDad

Registered: Jun 29, 2005
Review Date: Oct 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Focus system, 8fps, IQ, price
Cons:
Would be the perfect camera if it had the 5D mkII high-ISO abilities.

I've shot film since the mid-70's (Nikon F2) and got into digital SLR's in 2005 with the Canon 20D. Since then I've had the 30D, 40D, 50D and now 7D. I'm primarily a sports photographer, and the focus system is as good or better than the 1D mkIII I rented before buying the 7D. That, combined with the 8fps shooting speed makes this an unbelievable camera for the money.

Oct 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add IronDad to your Buddy List
buddyRoland

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Sep 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,519.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast operation. Quick focus. Superior build quality.
Cons:
Noise in certain instances.

The price on this camera fluctuates. That's the only thing I don't like. For the camera itself, it is superb. The noise performance is not the best compared to my 5D2 or 1D3 but the images are nice. Using it for distance shooting is where this baby shines.

Just because I said the noise produced by this camera is more than what is produced in my other cameras, it is still negligible. Using the proper AF points helps bring out the detail of the image. It just takes a bit to adjust to it. It has focusing features like the 1D3 but it is much easier to use like the 5D2.

My plan was to purchase this camera and put my 1D3 up for sale but the 1D3 produces better bokeh with the same lenses than either this camera or my 5D2, so I am gonna keep both. For the price point, this is an excellent camera. I shoot nice, clean photos, with nary an adjustment. This is the power of this camera compared to the 1D's, it doesn't require the the learning curve.

If you want a nice semi-pro action camera, get this. If you want a nice pro action camera, get the 1D3 or 1D4.

Sep 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add buddyRoland to your Buddy List
gerrit p

Registered: Jun 10, 2003
Review Date: Sep 18, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: the menu, Dual Axis Electronic level, af speed in daylight, the q menu, high speed drive, the af works very good with 300mm and 400 mm tele.
Cons:
autofocus not accurate in low light, support af-beam of the flash or transmitter st-e2 is necessary.

The 7D does work very well with my 300mm and 400mm lenses.
That is the main reason I bought the camera, so i'll keep it.
I was hoping it would work well in combination with my 35mm in low light.
My 4 years old 5D in combination with a 50mm works better in these circumstances.

The 7D has been repaired by the official service-centre in the Netherlands and now the af works better, but only in combination with the support from the af-beam of my flash.
The 5D works without extra help.

Sep 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gerrit p to your Buddy List
nirajphoto

Registered: Jul 15, 2010
Location: India
Review Date: Aug 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: build,speed,ISO,my-menu,builtin-flash transmitter, 19 cross type focus points, custom selection of focus points linked to camera orientation, fast focus algo
Cons:
noise, 18MPsensor, price

This a huge improvement over my 10D. The ISO is vastly improved, the 8fps is superb and wireless flash trigger is in-built. Love this camera. What I most like is the way to set different focus points in different orientations as base and the ability to return to them with just a button press. So you have 2 focus points (in single point mode) in each orientation. It was very handy while shooting for a wedding where things change very quickly and camera orientation also need to adapt. The auto-focus is very fast and accurate (8/10 keepres). There were reviews about problems with different lenses requiring micro-adjustment. Fortunately, I didnt have to do any for 3 different canon lenses (85 f1.8, EF-S 10-22 and 70-200 f2.8)that I have used.

I feel canon could have kept the MPs at 14-15 and done a better job with noise. But then they dont listen to us do they Smile

All in all a very good camera. Highly recommended.
Some pics on my blog:

Aug 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nirajphoto to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Aug 9, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build,viewfinder,AF,noise levels,IQ
Cons:
none that stand out

I must admit I have been shocked as to how good this camera actually is....I have always thought of 1.6 crop cameras as second cameras with tons of compromises but this is the first crop camera I really like..the build quality is outstanding...the AF system is first rate and having 18MP on a 1.6 crop really allows you to shoot without resorting to 1.4 or 2.0 extenders......I have owned all versions of the 1 series and currently own the 5D MKII and this camera holds its own....it isnt a 1 series and of course there are compromises but it is good enough in all aspects as to make it a camera a pro could and would use....well done!

Aug 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
mccc

Registered: Jul 23, 2010
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Jul 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid Build, Fast Focus, Excellent Battery Life
Cons:
Poor low-light performance

Really nice colors, great contrast!!! All Photos where taken on a 7D.

Mc
Portugal

Jul 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mccc to your Buddy List
Simon Elwell

Registered: Oct 10, 2006
Review Date: Jul 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great image quality, good low light performance, fast drive, superb video
Cons:
None - but see review

I've been using the 7d for 8-9 months now.

It's a big step up from my 30d and I had to be reminded of the basics of focus, exposure etc as early output wasn't that good. the 19 AF point thing really needs getting used to. In the end (and in common with many other users I think) I switched to spot focusing as it was too difficult to work out what the camera was focusing on. 19 point af is fine if you're shooting with a big d.o.f. - say f8 or more... even then make sure something in the foreground hasn't grabbed a focus point. When you stop down to shorten your d.o.f. you need to be in spot focus and be precise about the focus point of your shot. This seems basic but I'd grown lazy. With an 18mp resolution if you get the focus wrong you'll see it - no room for errors with this level of IQ. The high resolution also magnifies camera shake, so remember too the basics about minimum shutter speeds.

I used the micro-adjustment to make sure all my lenses were spot on - it's worth doing.

This is a classy camera and unless you need full frame it's everything else most people will need. You'd have to be a way better photographer than me to outgrow this!

Video is great - HD TV quality - need a tripod really to shoot anything that doesn't look amateurish. menu options and set up are all easy enough and in use the buttons all become pretty intuitive.

Build quality is top notch - rear screen plenty bright enough.

Raw files are 20mb+ so buy a big CF card (I use a 32gb card) and a big, fast hard drive to store images.

Jul 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Simon Elwell to your Buddy List
Bizcut1

Registered: Dec 18, 2005
Review Date: Jul 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Blazing-fast auto focus - great customizable features - price is worth it!
Cons:
Can't really think of any reasonable objections at this point. Some will be intimidated by the learning curve and seeming complexity of the controls, but, hey, if you want the benefits put in the time and you'll get them!

This camera has everything you'd expect from an advanced generation of the crop Canons. It is definitely more revolution than evolution, especially when compared to the 50D. The focus on this camera is, like - BAM! And the 8 FPS burst (after burst, after burst) is like having a cannon (oops - sorry) in your hands. Dual Digic 4 processors, 19 AF points, a myriad of ways to set them up for your style of shooting and a completely customizable interface to set up the controls. The solid feel of the camera and the more streamlined appearance and textural and tactile upgrades from the 50D are immediately apparent as soon as you pick up the 7D. It's just a different camera - completely different. Video is easy to deploy and delivers outstanding resolution and easy editing format via Apple and Mac HD format. Just pop in the CF card into the 800 firewire reader and easy editing and output via IMovie or Quicktime Pro is easy right there. Forget about having to deal with HD footage via AVCHD - Canon has made it easy to get the footage out and in editable form quickly.

This is a new generation of the xxD series....probably why Canon gave it a xD badge. Just a big leap forward. I don't know why so many obviously better photographers than me have had trouble with this camera. It's like getting behind the wheel of an XKE - what a ride! Recommended highly.

Jul 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bizcut1 to your Buddy List
eidelman

Registered: Aug 8, 2006
Review Date: Jun 25, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Size, specs, handling, lcd screen, custom functions,
Cons:
autofocus options tricky significant noise levels at all iso

I bought this camera with great expectation and as a back up for my 1D Mark3.

My first copy had disappointing autofocus and high noise levels. This was swopped and second copy gave me inconsistent quality with high noise at all iso and slow autofocus under low light conditions. Under bright light conditions images were superb. But I eventually upgraded to 1D Mark 4 and have no regrets whatsoever.

Jun 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eidelman to your Buddy List
biglank1

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Review Date: Jun 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, AF, Video feature, viewfinder
Cons:

I keep it from 10 because it's a crop sensor. Still not sure why Canon decided to do this. Bought mine on ebay for about 1470. Loved it right out the box. This was an upgrade for me from the 50D. Though it looks similar to the 50D body style, it feels different in your hands. More sturdy. More rugged. The main reason I upgraded was because of the HD video feature (which shoots REALLY good video. you can check out my first run with it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aqRwdPQp5M), the extra focusing points (19), and the new flash trigger option. I was a bit disappointed by the flash trigger option because I thought it could act SOLEY as a trigger and not fire the on-camera flash, but it seems this is impossible. You can knock down the OC flash power to make it ALMOST ineffective, but it will always fire in your final shot. Yes, it has more megapixels than the 50D but we all know that MPs doesn't mean better image quality. The 7D in my humble opinion isn't a big jump up in image quality from the 50D. It may be able to handle high ISO SLIGHTLY better but that's about it. So if you're upgrading to the 7D from the 50D or 40D thinking that your pictures will automatically come out sharper, with better skin tones, etc, then you might want to consider jumping up to the 5D. However, I'm not disappointed in the 7D because I didn't expect it shoot better pics. I just wanted the video feature really, which to some photographers may seem gimmicky, but I actually like it quit a bit.

Jun 14, 2010