77 110796 Oct 5, 2014
canon_eos_7_d

With a host of brand new features designed to enhance every facet of the photographic process, from still images to video, the new EOS 7D represents a whole new class of camera.

Made to be the tool of choice for serious photographers and semi-professionals, the EOS 7D features an all-new 18.0 Megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors, capturing tremendous images at up to ISO 12800 and speeds of up to 8 fps. The EOS 7D has a new all cross-type 19-point AF system with improved AI Servo II AF subject tracking and user-selectable AF area selection modes for sharp focus no matter the situation. The EOS 7D's Intelligent Viewfinder, an entirely newly-designed technology, provides 100% coverage and displays user-selected AF modes as well as a spot metering circle and on demand grid lines. New iFCL Metering with 63-zone dual-layer metering system uses both focus and color information to provide accurate exposure even in difficult lighting. The EOS 7D also captures Full HD video at 30p (29.97 fps), 24p (23.976 fps) and 25p with an array of manual controls, including manual exposure during movie shooting and ISO speed selection. The EOS 7D features a magnesium alloy body that is dust- and weather-resistant and shutter durability of up to 150,000 cycles. Compatible with over 60 EF and EF-S lenses as well as with EOS System accessories, the creative opportunities - not just with stills but also with video - are beyond amazement.

* 18.0 Megapixel CMOS Sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors for high image quality and speed.

* ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12,800) for shooting from bright to dim light.

* 8.0 fps continuous shooting up to 126 Large/JPEGs with UDMA CF card and 15 RAW.

* Advanced movie mode with manual exposure control and selectable frame rates: 1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p, 1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p, 640 x 480 (SD): 60p (59.94) / 50p.

* Intelligent Viewfinder with 100% field of view, wide viewing angle of 29.4, high magnification of 1.0, intelligent viewfinder with glass pentaprism and an overlaid LCD display in viewfinder supports various shooting styles.

* New 19-point, all cross-type AF system equipped with dual diagonal cross-type sensors in center at f/2.8 and f/5.6 and AF area selection modes to match various shooting situations.

* iFCL Metering with 63 zone dual-layer metering sensor that utilizes AF and color information for optimizing exposure and image quality.

* Magnesium body with shutter durability up to 150,000 cycles and exclusive dust and weather resistance.

Paulius

Registered: Oct 4, 2009
Review Date: Oct 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Viewfinder, file quality, fast operation, built etc
Cons:
the viewfinder not very suited for manual focusing, i would prefer some more customisable controls.

I use it for portraiture and street photography.
The AF is frustrating. At first. When you find your perfect setting it becomes a beast. I usually use spot AF but i still find that the AF can get confused. Not a big issue when u figure out why it does that. More of an issue is that when AF point covers the eye it will focus on the eyebrow (even though it is slightly off the focus area). Kind of annoying when I am used to using wide apertures (1.4 -2).
But overall it is a wonderful peace of equipment. The sigma 30 just shines on it. Add to this the incredibly comfortable grip and overall feel of the camera and it becomes a very capable machine bringing wonderful image quality. Though u will be left disappointed - it wont make u a far better photog!

Oct 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Paulius to your Buddy List
Schuit

Registered: Mar 9, 2008
Review Date: Oct 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Fast, a million different setting are possible, great build, almost water resistant, great battery life, splendid colors, large sharp LCD, 100% viewfinder
Cons:
AF system only usefull for brilliant minds like Stephen Hawkins, needs expensive lenses to use all potential, after every shot your LCD is dirty from your nose (really annoying)

I use this camera for quite some time (more than a year) but I'm still on a learning curve. As a former user of the 30d I thought I wouldn't have any difficulties mastering the 7d. I was wrong! I took me about 3 months taking pictures and visiting hundreds of websites to gather the needed information that would do it for me to get the right settings in all circumstances.

Sometimes I had the urge to wack it against a wall but I was able to keep my nerve. Making 10 shots I had maybe 2 keepers and the rest was way out of focus. The default setting of the AF-systeem are crap! You have to activate the 2 other settings as well before you can make sharp pictures most of the time. I also use the manual Carl Zeiss Planar T ZE 50mm F 1.4 and together with the 7d that also was room for headaches. Luckily my 17-55mm F 2.8 was able to compensate with some very nice pictures.

I know the 7d had all the potential to become a classic if Canon had delivered a AF-system users could understand in a day of use. According thousands of users it took them way longer to get used to the (to)advanced AF-system.

Oct 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Schuit to your Buddy List
IronDad

Registered: Jun 29, 2005
Review Date: Oct 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Focus system, 8fps, IQ, price
Cons:
Would be the perfect camera if it had the 5D mkII high-ISO abilities.

I've shot film since the mid-70's (Nikon F2) and got into digital SLR's in 2005 with the Canon 20D. Since then I've had the 30D, 40D, 50D and now 7D. I'm primarily a sports photographer, and the focus system is as good or better than the 1D mkIII I rented before buying the 7D. That, combined with the 8fps shooting speed makes this an unbelievable camera for the money.

Oct 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add IronDad to your Buddy List
buddyRoland

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Sep 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,519.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast operation. Quick focus. Superior build quality.
Cons:
Noise in certain instances.

The price on this camera fluctuates. That's the only thing I don't like. For the camera itself, it is superb. The noise performance is not the best compared to my 5D2 or 1D3 but the images are nice. Using it for distance shooting is where this baby shines.

Just because I said the noise produced by this camera is more than what is produced in my other cameras, it is still negligible. Using the proper AF points helps bring out the detail of the image. It just takes a bit to adjust to it. It has focusing features like the 1D3 but it is much easier to use like the 5D2.

My plan was to purchase this camera and put my 1D3 up for sale but the 1D3 produces better bokeh with the same lenses than either this camera or my 5D2, so I am gonna keep both. For the price point, this is an excellent camera. I shoot nice, clean photos, with nary an adjustment. This is the power of this camera compared to the 1D's, it doesn't require the the learning curve.

If you want a nice semi-pro action camera, get this. If you want a nice pro action camera, get the 1D3 or 1D4.

Sep 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add buddyRoland to your Buddy List
gerrit p

Registered: Jun 10, 2003
Review Date: Sep 18, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: the menu, Dual Axis Electronic level, af speed in daylight, the q menu, high speed drive, the af works very good with 300mm and 400 mm tele.
Cons:
autofocus not accurate in low light, support af-beam of the flash or transmitter st-e2 is necessary.

The 7D does work very well with my 300mm and 400mm lenses.
That is the main reason I bought the camera, so i'll keep it.
I was hoping it would work well in combination with my 35mm in low light.
My 4 years old 5D in combination with a 50mm works better in these circumstances.

The 7D has been repaired by the official service-centre in the Netherlands and now the af works better, but only in combination with the support from the af-beam of my flash.
The 5D works without extra help.

Sep 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gerrit p to your Buddy List
nirajphoto

Registered: Jul 15, 2010
Location: India
Review Date: Aug 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: build,speed,ISO,my-menu,builtin-flash transmitter, 19 cross type focus points, custom selection of focus points linked to camera orientation, fast focus algo
Cons:
noise, 18MPsensor, price

This a huge improvement over my 10D. The ISO is vastly improved, the 8fps is superb and wireless flash trigger is in-built. Love this camera. What I most like is the way to set different focus points in different orientations as base and the ability to return to them with just a button press. So you have 2 focus points (in single point mode) in each orientation. It was very handy while shooting for a wedding where things change very quickly and camera orientation also need to adapt. The auto-focus is very fast and accurate (8/10 keepres). There were reviews about problems with different lenses requiring micro-adjustment. Fortunately, I didnt have to do any for 3 different canon lenses (85 f1.8, EF-S 10-22 and 70-200 f2.8)that I have used.

I feel canon could have kept the MPs at 14-15 and done a better job with noise. But then they dont listen to us do they Smile

All in all a very good camera. Highly recommended.
Some pics on my blog:

Aug 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nirajphoto to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Aug 9, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build,viewfinder,AF,noise levels,IQ
Cons:
none that stand out

I must admit I have been shocked as to how good this camera actually is....I have always thought of 1.6 crop cameras as second cameras with tons of compromises but this is the first crop camera I really like..the build quality is outstanding...the AF system is first rate and having 18MP on a 1.6 crop really allows you to shoot without resorting to 1.4 or 2.0 extenders......I have owned all versions of the 1 series and currently own the 5D MKII and this camera holds its own....it isnt a 1 series and of course there are compromises but it is good enough in all aspects as to make it a camera a pro could and would use....well done!

Aug 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
mccc

Registered: Jul 23, 2010
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Jul 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid Build, Fast Focus, Excellent Battery Life
Cons:
Poor low-light performance

Really nice colors, great contrast!!! All Photos where taken on a 7D.

Mc
Portugal

Jul 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mccc to your Buddy List
Simon Elwell

Registered: Oct 10, 2006
Review Date: Jul 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great image quality, good low light performance, fast drive, superb video
Cons:
None - but see review

I've been using the 7d for 8-9 months now.

It's a big step up from my 30d and I had to be reminded of the basics of focus, exposure etc as early output wasn't that good. the 19 AF point thing really needs getting used to. In the end (and in common with many other users I think) I switched to spot focusing as it was too difficult to work out what the camera was focusing on. 19 point af is fine if you're shooting with a big d.o.f. - say f8 or more... even then make sure something in the foreground hasn't grabbed a focus point. When you stop down to shorten your d.o.f. you need to be in spot focus and be precise about the focus point of your shot. This seems basic but I'd grown lazy. With an 18mp resolution if you get the focus wrong you'll see it - no room for errors with this level of IQ. The high resolution also magnifies camera shake, so remember too the basics about minimum shutter speeds.

I used the micro-adjustment to make sure all my lenses were spot on - it's worth doing.

This is a classy camera and unless you need full frame it's everything else most people will need. You'd have to be a way better photographer than me to outgrow this!

Video is great - HD TV quality - need a tripod really to shoot anything that doesn't look amateurish. menu options and set up are all easy enough and in use the buttons all become pretty intuitive.

Build quality is top notch - rear screen plenty bright enough.

Raw files are 20mb+ so buy a big CF card (I use a 32gb card) and a big, fast hard drive to store images.

Jul 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Simon Elwell to your Buddy List
Bizcut1

Registered: Dec 18, 2005
Review Date: Jul 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Blazing-fast auto focus - great customizable features - price is worth it!
Cons:
Can't really think of any reasonable objections at this point. Some will be intimidated by the learning curve and seeming complexity of the controls, but, hey, if you want the benefits put in the time and you'll get them!

This camera has everything you'd expect from an advanced generation of the crop Canons. It is definitely more revolution than evolution, especially when compared to the 50D. The focus on this camera is, like - BAM! And the 8 FPS burst (after burst, after burst) is like having a cannon (oops - sorry) in your hands. Dual Digic 4 processors, 19 AF points, a myriad of ways to set them up for your style of shooting and a completely customizable interface to set up the controls. The solid feel of the camera and the more streamlined appearance and textural and tactile upgrades from the 50D are immediately apparent as soon as you pick up the 7D. It's just a different camera - completely different. Video is easy to deploy and delivers outstanding resolution and easy editing format via Apple and Mac HD format. Just pop in the CF card into the 800 firewire reader and easy editing and output via IMovie or Quicktime Pro is easy right there. Forget about having to deal with HD footage via AVCHD - Canon has made it easy to get the footage out and in editable form quickly.

This is a new generation of the xxD series....probably why Canon gave it a xD badge. Just a big leap forward. I don't know why so many obviously better photographers than me have had trouble with this camera. It's like getting behind the wheel of an XKE - what a ride! Recommended highly.

Jul 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bizcut1 to your Buddy List
eidelman

Registered: Aug 8, 2006
Review Date: Jun 25, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Size, specs, handling, lcd screen, custom functions,
Cons:
autofocus options tricky significant noise levels at all iso

I bought this camera with great expectation and as a back up for my 1D Mark3.

My first copy had disappointing autofocus and high noise levels. This was swopped and second copy gave me inconsistent quality with high noise at all iso and slow autofocus under low light conditions. Under bright light conditions images were superb. But I eventually upgraded to 1D Mark 4 and have no regrets whatsoever.

Jun 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eidelman to your Buddy List
biglank1

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Review Date: Jun 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, AF, Video feature, viewfinder
Cons:

I keep it from 10 because it's a crop sensor. Still not sure why Canon decided to do this. Bought mine on ebay for about 1470. Loved it right out the box. This was an upgrade for me from the 50D. Though it looks similar to the 50D body style, it feels different in your hands. More sturdy. More rugged. The main reason I upgraded was because of the HD video feature (which shoots REALLY good video. you can check out my first run with it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aqRwdPQp5M), the extra focusing points (19), and the new flash trigger option. I was a bit disappointed by the flash trigger option because I thought it could act SOLEY as a trigger and not fire the on-camera flash, but it seems this is impossible. You can knock down the OC flash power to make it ALMOST ineffective, but it will always fire in your final shot. Yes, it has more megapixels than the 50D but we all know that MPs doesn't mean better image quality. The 7D in my humble opinion isn't a big jump up in image quality from the 50D. It may be able to handle high ISO SLIGHTLY better but that's about it. So if you're upgrading to the 7D from the 50D or 40D thinking that your pictures will automatically come out sharper, with better skin tones, etc, then you might want to consider jumping up to the 5D. However, I'm not disappointed in the 7D because I didn't expect it shoot better pics. I just wanted the video feature really, which to some photographers may seem gimmicky, but I actually like it quit a bit.

Jun 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add biglank1 to your Buddy List
Ric444

Registered: Apr 10, 2010
Review Date: Jun 1, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 2

Pros: None so far. The reasons why I bought this camera , auto focus and low light performance, are exactly where the camera failed to deliver. What a waste of money.
Cons:
1. The auto focus fails in more than 50% of the photos. The rest are very soft. 2. There is very visible noise at all ISO levels.

I got a Canon 7D that has two problems:
1. The focus fails in more than 50% of the photos. When it doesn't fail, the photos are just too soft. I own several L lenses which are very sharp when used on my 5D2. The results are unacceptable with the 7D.
Even after spending lots of time with the micro-adjusment feature, the results were very inconsistent. The focus (including the spot AF) is all over the place.
I used a tripod and a wireless release without good results.

2. There is very visible noise at all ISO levels. Even my 10D and Rebel XSI produce cleaner photos at all ISO levels!
Come on Canon, this not a cheap camera. You should have better quality control instead of wasting the customer's time trying to find the problems on your products.

My 5D mark 2 is far better than this crappy 7D.
Very dissapointed with Canon's quality control.

Jun 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ric444 to your Buddy List
rk-d

Registered: Feb 25, 2009
Review Date: May 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,520.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, handling, viewfinder, image quality, video handling, noise performance, 24p and 60p modes. 8fps. AF accuracy and speed.
Cons:
CF door. Not full frame.

Build quality is essentially pro level - only thing keeping it from a 10 is the CF door design, which is the same as the 5d, 5d2, xxD cameras. Aside from the 1 series, though, this is the best feeling and best built Canon camera I've used - tight seams, dense, excellent grip and display with a great viewfinder. Canon uses a big, 1D style viewfinder cup on the 7D - very comfortable. No creaks. Tons of buttons - almost feels more like a Nikon than a Canon in use. Video is much better integrated into the camera than the 5D2 - it feels more thought out as a real function of the camera with instant access and a nice amount of customization. 24p and 60p is a nice touch.

IQ is excellent - the best crop camera I've ever used (previous crop experience is a d300 and 40D). High ISO performance is really great - using LR3 beta, the images at even 6400 are nice, with a fine, film-like grain and no banding or splotchiness. The 5d2 and d700 are superior, of course, but the 7D is surprisingly close. Lower ISO images are great - sharp, great contrast and color. Very good dynamic range - not quite up to FF levels, but still very good latitude in RAW. I've been using FF for the past 2 years and the only major difference I see is the shallower DOF with FF.

AF, in my experience, is excellent. Very good accuracy and speed. Low light performance is very good.

This camera is a legitimate alternative to the 5D2 - at about $800 cheaper. While the 5d2 image quality is better and has inherent FF advantages, the 7D build, AF and video handling/frame rate are better. In that context, the price for the body at $1600 is perfectly reasonable.

May 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rk-d to your Buddy List
bryPT

Registered: May 9, 2006
Review Date: May 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build, insanely fast, sharp, excellent features.
Cons:
other than a slight cosmetic issue, none.

I think this camera is a winner. I am amazed by the overall quality of it. The build quality is stellar. I thought I would be taking a step back build wise coming from the 1Ds Mark II, but after using it, it feels almost the same with the battery grip on it (the grip is a little wider than I like, but it was easy to get used to). The grip fits tighter than any other grip I have tried.

It is a blazing fast camera, especially for the price. I wouldn't expect this kind of speed from something under $5k.

Sharp images are the norm. The AF is dead on (but I highly suggest reading the manual and maybe viewing these videos: http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167 to check out the new AF system).

Menu structure gets better and better for every new EOS release and the features list grows. Love the way the menu is set up here, and the screen is nice and large.

I don't video much, but that may change since the video mode in here is top notch.

They only gripe I have, if you want to call it that, is I have found that the dial moves rather easily. Too easy if I am in the field. Just the slightest touch will spin it.

There is a reason why the camera is getting such high praise in this review section: It is truly a great piece of equipment anc Canon has hit a home run with it.

May 17, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bryPT to your Buddy List
ntanh72

Registered: May 3, 2010
Location: Vietnam
Review Date: May 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, 8 shot per second, excellent battery life, good build
Cons:

I upgraded from 500D, at first I felt it a bit heavy and it took sometimes to get use to the control.

Now, after over 1000 shots, I feel this is a great camera, just excellent. It out perform the 500D in all ways AF speed, control, IQ, noise,...

May 3, 2010