Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

165 317572 May 22, 2013
9.8
1ef200mmf_28_1_1_

Telephoto lens boasting high image quality and carrying ease. With two UD-glass elements and rear focusing to correct aberrations, image delineation is extremely sharp. Background blur is also natural-looking, as was simulated by Canon. The lens comes with a dedicated, detachable hood.

johnastovall

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: Jan 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything about this lense is true. It is razor sharp and provides wonderful Bokeh.
Cons:

I got mine in December and it's rapidly become one of my two favorite lenses for shooting rural Texas landscapes from the road side. One shot made with it has already been published. It is also very good for catching people in small rural towns as it lets you keep distance and doesn't stand out like the white 70-200mm f/4.00 I have does.

Jan 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johnastovall to your Buddy List
George Chew

Registered: Sep 2, 2005
Review Date: Jan 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very very sharp image, even wide open. Very fast focusing. It is light enough to carry around. It is relative cheap.
Cons:
Not as versatile as my dream lens, ef70-200mm f2.8L IS.

Greetings,
I saw this lens on my favorite shop. I wasn't exactly looking for this lens, in fact I want a 135L. But after 1 week of testing, my heart refused to return it, and at this price, its too good to let go.
This is lens is a gems. It is very hand holdable. Most of the photos I took on a local amateur soccer match are very sharp. Trying it on flowers, the saturation and bokeh are excellent.
This lens is not very much appreciated by many photographers due to its in between range. But, I'm in love with it. Next month, I will bring it along for a local paino concert show. I think it will be the best situation for this lens to perform. Enjoy...

Jan 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add George Chew to your Buddy List
opusthecat

Registered: Jul 27, 2005
Review Date: Jan 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fastest focus I've ever used. Killer-sharpness. Well-made.
Cons:
Be nice if Canon made an IS version

Best lens I own. Coupled with my 50mm 1.8, 17-85 IS---I've got everything I need. This lens focuses near-immediately. I push the shutter release and it's on it man. Even in low-light, it focuses super-fast. Sharpness is fantastic. Size is VERY manageable. Not too heavy and the metal build is super solid.

I just hope Canon makes an IS version someday as I've lost some good shots hand-holding this lens.

Jan 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add opusthecat to your Buddy List
Digipat

Registered: Aug 3, 2005

Pros: Optical quality !!
Cons:

As I decided to buy a 100-400 L for wildlife photos and as I travel a lot, I needed a complement to my 28-75 2.8 for street portraits and a lot more. I started to investigate on 135 f2, 70-200 L (IS or non)... after a long period of tests, I was amazed by its regular astonishing quality (various samples of each lens tested)... even better than the 135 f2!... yes, I remarked this.
According to all my requierements, it came on the top of the list.

In "close" distances, it is really incredibly good.
In longer ones, you may notice, at FULL SCREEN preview, a very very little subtle drop in quality, but "closing" a little the diaphragm, it becomes perfect.

You can search in the corners... they look like the center.

Contrast, colors? Is it a joke? WAOU!!

Jan 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Digipat to your Buddy List
photomarvin

Registered: Sep 23, 2005
Review Date: Jan 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size & Weight, Color Rendition, Contrast, Bokeh, Price Sharp picture out of the camera...2.8!!!
Cons:
That I didn't get it sooner! Also, I may now want to get more L glass!

What can I say that others haven't! This lense is absolutely incredible, especially for the price. I picked up a MK1 version for just under $500 from KEH, and I really like having the built in hood. The bokeh is so buttery smooth. I highly recommend!!

Jan 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photomarvin to your Buddy List
uz2work

Registered: Mar 3, 2004
Review Date: Jan 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $660.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: relatively compact size, very nice image quality
Cons:
see below

I find the 200/2.8 to be a very capable lens that produces outstanding images. However 200mm is starting to get into the length where I'd like to see IS on a lens. While the image quality is outstanding, I find that, in most situations, the edge in image quality over that of my 70-200/2.8 IS isn't all that great. Thus, unless travelling light is a priority, I often choose to use the zoom first because of both the zooms range and also because the zoom has IS. If the 200/2.8 had IS or if it was a stop faster, I'd probably be using it more.

Jan 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add uz2work to your Buddy List
carlsbadbum

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 1985
Review Date: Dec 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $485.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very fast and sharp, much better build than the FD 200/2.8.
Cons:
No IS. Tripod ring is an optional item.

This is my favorite telephoto lens, it's razor sharp and fast.

Dec 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add carlsbadbum to your Buddy List
rklepper

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 22, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $649.00

Pros: Tack sharp, Lightning fast AF
Cons:

This is an excellent lens. I sold my 70-200 f2.8 when I got this as the image quality just no longer held up.

I really have a hard time imagining what kind of an intellect it takes to buy a prime and then put down no zoom as a negative???? It is a prime for God's sake.

Dec 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rklepper to your Buddy List
smac

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, fast, compact.
Cons:

This is a great lens, extremely sharp, fast focusing, easily handled. I didn't use it much, but find that I shoot at 200mm often with my 70-200mm. I prefered the 1st series of this lens because it had a built in lens hood.

Dec 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add smac to your Buddy List
kel3at

Registered: Jul 9, 2004
Review Date: Nov 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Tough, Sharp, Fast, ect. ect.
Cons:

Excellent lens, my only L lens and it is very nice. This is the perfect lens. Tough, fast, sharp, excellent color. I could go on and on about how good this lens is but I wont. I would only be repeating what every other review here already says.

Nov 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kel3at to your Buddy List
LenK

Registered: Jan 14, 2004
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, built like a tank, looks great in black
Cons:

I bought this lens used on FM a month ago, because I wanted a faster 200mm than my 70-200 f4/L. I was also impressed with (and tempted by) the reviews I've seen here and elsewhere. So far, I haven't been disappointed. The lens is everything anyone has said about it (good, that is...).

My quandry NOW is that I'm ramping up on my wedding business, and am currently tempted to sell this AND my 70-200 f4 to buy a 70-200 f2.8!! Wanna trade? Anyone??

Is life good or what?!!!!

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LenK to your Buddy List
terminator

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $565.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: superb sharp! great color, contrast and bokeh. build quality. instant focus. relatively lightweight. f/2.8. cheap.
Cons:
absolutely none

My first L lens after reading quite a lot of reviews of many different telephoto lens. Still was shocked at its performance. The images by this lens is obviously sharper than by 85mm f/1.8, with very pleasant bokeh, not to mention the color and contrast. I would not just say the color, contrast and bokeh are nice. They are GREAT! Couldn't think if they can be any better. Focus is very fast. Built like a tank, but still relatively light. At this price (after triple rebate), I cannot find any thing better.

Nov 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add terminator to your Buddy List
rklepper

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $659.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens. Photos really pop
Cons:

This is a great lens. Not sure how you can find this lens wanting in anything for the price.

Certainly not sure how you can purchase a prime, non-IS lens and then put down that the cons are no zoom and no IS? Things that make you go HMMMM

Oct 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rklepper to your Buddy List
caveman_lee

Registered: Sep 12, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, fast focus, great color and contrast, black, relatively light weight (when compare with the white L zoom)
Cons:
a bit long on a 1.6x camera.

This is a very sharp prime. Great for taking outdoor/street portrait. Also a good head-hunter when using with 580EX for indoor event.

The color and contrast are great, "L" standard for sure. This prime sometimes makes me feel that my 300D could not fully utilize the sharpness and resolution render by this lens.

Samples photos of my beloved 200 F2.8L are collected in the link below:

Warning: this lens spoils you ! You will keep wanting to buy other "L" primes, such as 85 F1.2L and 135 F2L, after using this lens. You will not forgive yourself for getting less than razor sharp image with this lens (hand shaking, low shutter speed, etc.).

Caveman

Oct 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add caveman_lee to your Buddy List
Al_10D

Registered: Dec 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp, nice bokeh and colors. Terrific lens for outdoor candid portraits. Work great with 1.4x and 2x TCs

Highly recommended.

Oct 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Al_10D to your Buddy List
dwolfbearer

Registered: Oct 4, 2004
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast Focus, razor sharp, still great with 2x extender, compact, black, fast
Cons:
Canon hoods are a pain

This is the sharpest lens I have owned. I traded my 70-200 f/4 for it, because I was not satisfied with the zoom quality, and was blown away by the 200 2.8. The sharpness is amazing and the price is very low. Buying it here (FM buy/sell forum), used, you can use it for a few months and then sell it to someone else for the same price you paid for it! The resale value on this used lense is simply amazing. I 'upgraded' to a 100-400 and found the quality waning. I hope that somewhere along the line, this lens comes back into my lineup.

Oct 11, 2005