Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

174 354099 Nov 23, 2016
1ef200mmf_28_1_1_

Telephoto lens boasting high image quality and carrying ease. With two UD-glass elements and rear focusing to correct aberrations, image delineation is extremely sharp. Background blur is also natural-looking, as was simulated by Canon. The lens comes with a dedicated, detachable hood.

Perry Ge

Registered: Jul 29, 2007
Review Date: Feb 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $560.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, size, IQ, focusing speed.
Cons:
None for the price.

Phenomenal lens at a really good price.

I got rid of my telephoto zooms for this lens because I wanted the speed in a lighter package. This lens is fantastic! IQ is excellent - tack sharp, great colours and contrast. The autofocus is to die for, it has no trouble tracking fast moving objects. It's lighter than the 70-200 f/2.8 series, and much cheaper. It also takes teleconverters well.

One of the best lens purchases I've ever made. Highly recommended.

Feb 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Perry Ge to your Buddy List
tinke

Registered: May 18, 2007
Review Date: Feb 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: For a long range telephoto this is very light. For those interested in street shooting I would think this a must if you appreciate the quality of primes.
Cons:
None that I am aware of - will see out of doors if the built-in hood does the job.

Just picked up a near mint Mk I for a nice price; hard to pass up for what you get - a real find. Looks like all metal body too. Took the old UV off and took some snaps, then poppped a new Hoya Pro 1 on it after cleaning out of the threads, front and rear glass. Nice.

Sharpness and clarity are everything you could expect wide open - this to me is the test of fast glass. I am already amazed at the sharpness and 3D of this lens. Yep, like looking with your eyes. Colors and contrast appear on first blush to be everything one would expect from a L prime lens. And the bokeh, ah yes the bokeh; well lets just say it is outstanding for a 2.8 lens. Slapped a Kenko Pro TC on it, and image degredation though present would not prevent its use. Would not be my first choice (thats why I have a 300/4L non-IS), but this looks to be a world class traveling and hiking lens - so a TC would come with the turf. More nature shots will tell the tale, and when it stops raining will get plenty of chances.

Now that I have this I am in the process of selling my 70-200/4 IS, which I never believed I would do. Still keeping the 'ol stallwart magic drainpipe - I have a gap between 105 and 200 in my travel kit now, but looking at my files I don't seem to miss it. The MD stays around home, as it is just too heavy to schlep around. it's compact, relatively lightweight, very balanced, and fast - hard to ask for much more. I was a bit of a skeptic at first as to my need for this lens, but no more. Highly recommended. Happy shooting!

Feb 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tinke to your Buddy List
bogatyr

Registered: Aug 10, 2003
Review Date: Jan 28, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: $650.00

Pros: Extraordinary, almost outerworldly definition of detail. Well balanced. Fast aufofocus even with the 1.4x Extender.
Cons:
Lack of water sealing, but that is the only "negative" side of this supremely competent tool.

I have now used my beloved EF 200mm 2.8 II for some more months, and I can only reiterate that I have difficulty understanding why this lens is constantly underrated. It is said that it is less sharp than the EF 135/2.0. It is not - I own them both and the 200 picks up a tiny little hair more detail and tolerate the Extender with less loss of quality than the 135. Apart from that I fully agree that both the 135/2.0 and 200/2.8 II are stellar performers that leave little if anything to be desired with respect to optical performance. Their one fault is absence of sealing against water and dust.

By the way, IS is not missed, at least not by this photographer. Lens speed is vastly more important than image stabilization, and this lens has better transmission of light than the 70-200 2.8-zooms due to its having less glass elements - even if the 70-200 2.8's boast the same max aperture.

The EF 200/2.8 II is suitable for outdoor portraits, any kind of action, domestic animals, as well as landscapes when you want to isolate detail and compress the scene. Actually your own imagination is the limit for this truly outstanding lens.

Highly recommended.

Jan 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bogatyr to your Buddy List
Jeff Waibel

Registered: Jan 11, 2008
Review Date: Jan 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size Speed Color Weight Image Quality
Cons:
Lacks IS

I purchased this lens as a faster alternative to the 100-300 Canon 4.5/5.6 I was using. It was my first L glass. I've now been using this lens regularly for about 1 year.

The focus speed, image sharpness and overall performance exceeded all expectations.

2 Surprise benefits:
1. I discovered I didn't miss the zoom. I have mostly used the lens for shooting motorsport and air shows. Everyone else shows up with a zoom. Most of the time you shoot far at these events. This non-zoom lens is much faster and lighter than it's zoom equivelents.

2. There are lots of show-offs at events like this sporting their bulky 70-200 2.8 white lenses. I had the same reach and same performance without having the "Hey, come steal my lens" advertisment.

After my first event I bought the Canon 1.4x extender. Although I lost a stop - the lens continues to excel!

Jan 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeff Waibel to your Buddy List
mertmag

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Dec 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at f/2.8, Light weight for a 200mm lens, Solid build, Fast silent autofocus, excellent color and contrast, reasonable price, Black not cream colored
Cons:

Got it used from eBay for $550.00 and I'm so happy with it. I use it on a 40D. It is so sharp at 2.8 it shocked me! I have owned a number of lenses in this range Sigma EX 70-200 2.8, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 300 IS f4L. This is the sharpest lens of all the lenses I have owned. The only reason you need to stop it down is for DOF. The auto focus is fast, silent and works well in low light, the color and contrast is excellent, flare is not a problem, CA is well controlled to the point of being non-existent, manual focus is smooth. If you want to take this lens you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands! Over all this is the best lens I have ever owned. And I have tried a number of lenses. Did I mention I liked the lens?

Dec 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mertmag to your Buddy List
GraemePitman

Registered: Sep 3, 2007
Review Date: Dec 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $540.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SO sharp, saturation, solid build, f/2.8, L glass, price.
Cons:
none that I've found after 8 months. I guess I wish it was an f/1.0.

Such a sharp, saturated lens.

Built like a tank and costs 1/3 as much as some of the zoom equivalents.

Highly recommend you consider this in looking for a fast telephoto, and you know what they say about shooting primes - they will make you a better photographer!

Dec 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GraemePitman to your Buddy List
Garylv

Registered: Jul 5, 2005
Review Date: Nov 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Relatively light weight, sharp, very fast focus, nice bokeh, flare resistent
Cons:
Hood is pretty big

Image quality and sharpness are especially nice. Any reports of softness must be due to a defective unit. Possibly a misaligned element.

Two of my sharpest lenses are the 300 f2.8 IS and the 400 f5.6 prime. The 200 f2.8 II is somewhere in between those two lenses. The 300 f2.8 is stunning, but this lens is not all that far behind. No reservations at all about using it open at f2.8. Simply outstanding for the price.

If you want 200mm at f2.8 but prefer something smaller than the f2.8 zooms, this is your lens. Easy to carry, great performer.

When you use the hood, it makes it look quite a bit bigger and adds length. Could easily be used without the hood in most circumstances. Just be aware if that's important to you.

Nov 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Garylv to your Buddy List
light and dark

Registered: Nov 18, 2007
Review Date: Nov 18, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Easy to handle, black, light
Cons:
Optical quality

Maybe I got a bad sample. Sharpness, colour and contrast was quite disappointing. I could see softness of the images even on the camera's LCD screen. My sample became sharp around f/8, which is not the reason why I bought a f/2.8-prime. Finally, I ended up with a 70-200 2.8 IS which is a completely different thing in terms of optical quality. Sharpness, colours and contrast are much better. If you need a small and fast prime go for the 135mm f/2, which I also use and which is even better than my 70-200 zoom. My 135mm with a 2x TC would easily outperform my 200mm prime.

Nov 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add light and dark to your Buddy List
PratyushPandya

Registered: Sep 28, 2007
Review Date: Oct 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $639.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness, Beautiful bokeh, Great colors, Fast AutoFocus, Very affordable for an L lens.
Cons:
I haven't found any.

The portraits I get with this lens are amazing. I admit, it's a bit long for indoor use. However, I have been able to take head and shoulder shots of my two boys staying indoors. And the results have been simply stunning.

Highly recommend it.

Oct 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add PratyushPandya to your Buddy List
photorebel

Registered: Apr 29, 2006
Review Date: Oct 14, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $580.00

Pros: Light, balanced...fast AF, razor sharp images..relatively inexpensive for an "L" lens.
Cons:
What is there not to like, except you can't zoom it. Need a zoom, buy the 70-200.

After a year of use ...a definite 10!

I wasn't entirely happy with my 70-200 f/2.8L (non IS) which may have been user error, or maybe I didn't have a sharp copy. For whatever reason I sold it, and bought the 200 f/2.8L. After a few games, I knew I'd done the right thing.
This lens has become a workhorse for me. I used it at highschool track meets. And although I have a 300, I used it twice this year at highschool football games.
This is just a sharp, fast focusing lens. A real workhorse. I don't even use a monopod with this lens (attached to Mark IIn) and I still get razor sharp images.
It did take some adjustment, coming from a zoom, but the results I got are worth it. I wouldn't sell this lens for anything right now. It's my most used Canon lens!
Highly recommended!

Oct 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add photorebel to your Buddy List
Joe Wineglass

Registered: Oct 3, 2007
Review Date: Oct 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I put this lens on my 30D and forgot to take it off. One of Canons best.

Oct 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joe Wineglass to your Buddy List
Fa.bian

Registered: May 23, 2007
Review Date: Sep 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $740.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, Price, Fast focusing, Excellent aperture (f/2.8), L-Lens
Cons:
No holder for a tripod (You'll have to buy it extra)

It's my first L-Lens, and I have to admit that this is really my best purchase since I'm photographing ! Especially if you photographing people on the streets, this lens is perfect ! The bokeh is very creamy and charming. I own the MK II version.

Sep 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fa.bian to your Buddy List
TONY MARTIN

Registered: Jul 14, 2007
Review Date: Aug 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh,Sharp images, colour cast, build quality, f2.8, everything
Cons:
None what so ever

Wow 3 days after buying and i am still saying wow when i see the results, brought used on ebay have to say this is a fantastic lens for so many different subjects, i keep finding new ways to photograph and never want to put my camera down.
One down side i now think i should sell my zooms to get all primes.

Aug 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TONY MARTIN to your Buddy List
Tony Rogers

Registered: Jul 9, 2007
Review Date: Jul 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight (much lighter than the 70-200 f2.8L), sharp, clear, fast auto-focus
Cons:
it's not the 200mm f1.8L :(

I would love to own a 200mm f1.8L. If Canon ever start to make that lens again, I will be very interested in buying one.

In the meantime, I have one of these. It is much lighter (good strong build quality, but light), and it works very well. I have used it on a 5D and a 1D Mark III (where ISO 6400 makes up for f2.8!) - on the Mark III it is a 260mm-equivalent.

This is the cheapest or second-cheapest L series lens. That is not because it's bad, it's because it is a simple, effective design that doesn't cost a lot to make.

This is much easier to carry all day than the 70-200 f2.8L IS.

I have heard arguments about whether this lens is as good as the 135 f2L; I don't think it is, quite, but that's a high benchmark. This is a fine lens, and very useful.

Jul 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tony Rogers to your Buddy List
breenj

Registered: Sep 24, 2005
Location: Marshall Islands
Review Date: Jun 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, bokeh, AF speed, size, takes converters well
Cons:
? No tripod collar included, maybe? I've never missed it.

I don't really use this all that much since I often go for the convenience of the 70-200 f/4L IS or the 100-400. But every time I do use it, I end up happy with the shots.
This lens is tack sharp. With a 1.4x converter, I couldn't notice any IQ loss. With the 2x it's noticeable (and AF slows down a lot), but still very sharp.
I use this with a 30D.

Jun 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add breenj to your Buddy List
DigitalDreamer

Registered: Apr 20, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $659.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This is simple, everything!
Cons:
None, no i am not going to say that it does not zoom like others have complained about. ITS A PRIME!

I have just sold my 135MM after using this lens. My major disappointment with the 135MM F2 was the CA that that lens produces. I shot both lenses under identical situations and the 135 showed it's ugly CA while the 200MM F2.8 had none!
This by far has to be the best value lens that Canon produces.
As soon as you understand your focal range you will know were you have to be at every event. Trust me when i say this lens with never leave my bag.

Jun 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DigitalDreamer to your Buddy List

Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM