Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

174 354092 Nov 23, 2016
1ef200mmf_28_1_1_

Telephoto lens boasting high image quality and carrying ease. With two UD-glass elements and rear focusing to correct aberrations, image delineation is extremely sharp. Background blur is also natural-looking, as was simulated by Canon. The lens comes with a dedicated, detachable hood.

oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Jan 24, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Outstanding picture quality (sharpness, colours, contrast) Ultrafast focus creamy bokeh 'wow' pictures small, black moderate price compare to other longer Canon primes
Cons:
Manual focus little hard to use (feels scratchy)

I got the lens about half a year ago used. Picture quality simply fantastic ! Great colours, contrast fantastic, sharpness on could wish for. The bare lens without the converter simply faultless in practical terms.
I mainly use the lens for birding with a Soligor 2x teleconverter, I usually use the lens with the teleconverter at f3.5-4.5. With the teleconverter wide open(f2.8) the pictures are soft, resolution not bad, but contrast is reduced a lot, at f4 quite good. My 30D sensor I can tell not up to this lens resolution capabilities.

You can chech some pictures at
www.oldshutterhand.com/?page_id=1897

Jan 24, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
MrBrilliant

Registered: Dec 13, 2011
Review Date: Dec 13, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $880.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, solid, cheap (It's a great L-lens) and black
Cons:
Nope, not really

I have used this lens extensively for candid downtown shots and I'm amazed at the quality of the images. It's black and rather average-looking, so nobody cares where I pioint it.
Have taken pictures at 50+ metres that I've kept! Took some of my nephew from 40 metres out. Great candids that my sister framed and put on the wall in the living room.
This lens takes a 1,4 extender with little problem.
Highly recommended!

Dec 13, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MrBrilliant to your Buddy List
didierv

Registered: Apr 30, 2005
Review Date: Oct 17, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, great build, small and inconspicuous
Cons:

I really like this lens.
It is very sharp from 2.8 on...
Because of the focal lens I do not used it all that much, but every time I take it out I love the results.
I like it better than my 70-200 because it is smaller, lighter and inconspicuous.
I have the Mark I version, bought used on FM almost 5 years ago, it is a pretty old lens but works perfectly after all these years.

Oct 17, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add didierv to your Buddy List
mihazero

Registered: Oct 11, 2011
Location: Serbia & Montenegro
Review Date: Oct 12, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp and fast lens. Buttery smooth bokeh.
Cons:
No lens colar included and no IS. Object of envy from other photographers.

Got mine 4 months ago and already i`m not taking it off my 5Dmk2. Might be too much zoom on crop cameras, but on FF its perfect.

Was thinking about 135 f2 or this lens and i`m glad i choose this lens.

I often go on photo walks with other photographers and almost everyone asks me what it is in complete disbelief that its L lens. I love the fact that its not white lens and i`m not drawing too much attention to myself while taking some portrait or some part of some public event. Other photographers on these events that don't know my name now days refer to me as "200" Smile

This lens combined with 85 1.8 is all one needs.

Oct 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mihazero to your Buddy List
Michael Sanche

Registered: Nov 24, 2007
Review Date: Sep 2, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. AF is breathtakingly fast and accurate. Color and Contrast is outstanding. Lens is visually attractive. Light. Small compared to 70-200. Built like a tank.
Cons:

After many years with zooms.....and having to set MFA as a function of focal length to get reasonable sharpness wide open due to common focus shift with zooms
(or before MFA existed having to live with softness wide open) .
.... I decided to use primes for key photographic opportunities.

Hence, I bought this lens for a trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone with wildlife photography in mind. I chose this prime due to the many AF issues I had with Canon zoom lenses, and, the reputation of this particular prime for design (AF and lens). After receiving this lens I carefully checked the focus accuracy as a function of fstop and distance.

In every case the MFA = 0 with center point AF only. This is a result you simply will not get with any 70-200mm zoom for all focal lengths. This prime lens design, coupled with AF accuracy, makes for a truly "sharp" lens (where sharpness is the convolution of focus and native lens sharpness).

http:[email protected]/6108737652/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Additionally, the color and contrast are phenomenal. Several of my shots, that include water/sky, almost appear as if shot with a polarizing filter on the front.

http:[email protected]/6108766708/

In addition to actually capable lens function (AF and lens sharpness when properly focussed, and color), the lens is visually beautiful to look at, is reasonably light and can be handheld in most situations (with proper management of ISO and shutterspeed). With today's higher resolution cameras (50D for me) and the sharpness of this lens you can crop and obtain great photos where a 400mm would otherwise be needed. An example of baby Osprey's in their next at near 100% crop is here:

http:[email protected]/6108782878/

I even managed a few shots of BIF (Osprey) (no examples posted), with center point AF. Perfect focus.

The lens feels solidly built and, I think, will last my lifetime. It is a lens to feel proud to own and has no downside or compromises to work around.

It is not a zoom, but, zooms have so many compromises, from my perspective, for me, they are not worth the perceived benefit. I would rather work the image content with a capable lens like this prime, and my feet, than manage around a zoom's limitations to get half the quality of this lens.

Finally, I bought this used on this site from a reputable member at a fair price. This price makes this lens a stunning value given it's capability.

If you are thinking of a prime, this is one of Canon's premier offerings.

Sep 2, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael Sanche to your Buddy List
radarbrat

2278236630_d1b3852223_o

Registered: Mar 2, 2011
Review Date: Aug 28, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, 2.8 aperture, sharp, good color rendition, fast focusing, works great with the 1.4 teleconverter
Cons:

Great choice for Street Photography where long distances to the subject require a long(ish) lens. Also good if discretion is necessary.

Great price point for a lens of this quality. Of course like all primes, you'll need to do the zooming with your feet.

This is one of the first shots I took with the 200mm 2.8:

Aug 28, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add radarbrat to your Buddy List
brogan

Registered: Aug 23, 2011
Review Date: Aug 25, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: (I have the Mark 1) 1. Size 2. Quality of images 3. oes not draw attention at it is black
Cons:
non what so ever!

Got this lens for my 20th birthday. It is the single most amazing lens i have ever used. it is small and weight wise, next to nothing. and the image quality is amazing!!.
I use a 40D and with this lens I can take amazing shots, but with my fathers camera (7d) the images are out of this world. this lens is by far the best buy I have ever had. I got it for 2/3 of the price of a new mark 2 version. and IMO I saved on money and lost out on nothing. I prefer the slide out lens hood to the clip on lens hood, just because it is a pain having to try find a place for the hood in my bag when not in use.

Aug 25, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add brogan to your Buddy List
danwanfur

Registered: May 14, 2011
Review Date: Aug 19, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $810.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, delicious BOKEH, fantastic sharpness and great build quality. This lightweight, small (relative to the f/2.8 zooms) and black lens is relatively inconspicious (without the hood on) and can be used for street photography and in crowded places without drawing attention.
Cons:
Not as versatile as a zoom lens.

This is such a fantastic lens with excellent sharpness and build quality. And the bokeh is just so delicious and creamy. More than 99% of my pictures are taken wide-open (f/2.8) where this lens is capable of producing magical images!
While this lens is not as versatile as an image-stabilized zoom I decided to buy it as it offered the best combination of speed (f/2.8), price and utility (I always end up taking pictures with telephoto zooms at the two focal length extremes).
This lens also has many advantages relative to the f/2.8 zooms such as price, weight and color (black). One day I hope to upgrade to the heavy 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II but until then I intend to keep using this stellar lens.
Other lenses owned: 10-22mm, 17-55mm, 100mm f/2.8L (all used on a T2i/550D).

Aug 19, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add danwanfur to your Buddy List
garydolson

Registered: Mar 28, 2005
Review Date: Jul 20, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, light weight, excellent color and bokeh
Cons:
Refused to marry me, but who could blame it?

The glass kicks @ss. This is one of those rare gems that will always perform far beyond its price. Buy with complete confidence.

Jul 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add garydolson to your Buddy List
agnesleung

Registered: Dec 12, 2010
Review Date: Dec 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: size & weight, built, sharpness, color, bokeh, price
Cons:

I've been shooting with this lens for over 5 years, and I'm still very much in love with this lens!

Some of my albums shooting with this lens:

Dec 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add agnesleung to your Buddy List
out_of_focus

Registered: Mar 16, 2010
Location: Poland
Review Date: Oct 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: awesome optics (tack sharp!, beautiful bokeh, colors&contrast, no ca), quick af, size, feels really solid even though it's not weather sealed, it's black (does not focus so much attention as white Ls)
Cons:
no mount ring included

Bought this lens 5 months ago, because I needed a fast lens for sports. I was considering between buying this lens or Sigma 70-200. Decided to buy Canon, because Sigma was lacking sharpness on 200mm (and I already had Canon EF 85mm 1,8, so can live without zoom). I know that I missed some shots, because it's not a zoom lens... but on the other hand - this lens is just AMAZING! Before I bought it, I thought, that my 85mm is sharp, but 200 beats any lens I own in terms of sharpness (I take pictures mostly with f/2.8). I shoot sports very often with this lens and when it comes to autofocus, USM is silent and very quick (sometimes not qucik enough, but I blame my 40D body for it). Colors and contrast looks great, as well as bokeh, when I shoot portraits. Pictures does not suffer from CA as they do when I use Canon 85mm.
The only thing I miss is a mount ring. With this price tag, Canon should include it!
All in all - the best lens I own, worth every penny! If you can live without versatility of zoom lenses, this may be the best choice. Can't wait to test it with 1,4x extender...
Some pictures of volleyball I took with this lens:

Oct 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add out_of_focus to your Buddy List
ManofMustard

Registered: May 4, 2010
Review Date: Aug 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Autofocus speed, tack sharp, weight, great colors and bokeh, price, well built
Cons:
no built in lens hood or IS

I am renting this lens for the Seattle Seafair airshow weekend.

I shot over 750 pictures of the airshow practice on Friday. I have fallen in love with this lens. Last year I shot the airshow with a Tamron 200-500 and found I had to pre-focus just to get decent pictures. No more prefocusing baby! My hit rate on the focus was much higher than I was expecting. This lens makes my pictures from last year look like crap. I am truly awe struck on how sharp & contrasty the pictures turned out.

If I didn't need a wide angle lens next I would certainly pick one of these babies up. Anyone want to buy a Tamron 200-500?

Aug 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ManofMustard to your Buddy List
LPrimeFreak

Registered: Jul 29, 2010
Review Date: Jul 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tack sharp, great bokeh/colours/contrast right out of the lens, superfast AF, more compact than 70-200, built in lenshood (version I), great built quality.
Cons:
no IS, fixed focal.

The best price/quality & most underrated Canon L!
I have the version I with built in hood, it's almost perfect!

It's produced in the age when IS did not exist, but version II also doesn't have IS, this isn't much a problem cause it's relative compact and stable to handhold.

This was my first L, thanks to this lens I got addicted to sharp primes with low f-values (maximum f2.8).

As I was so amazed by the 200L (and 135L) that I had a problem with the 1.6 cropfactor,they were meant for fullframe.

Therefore I bought a fullframe, especially to get the maximum out of both "beast-L's".

I sold my 17-55 f2.8 IS, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 50-500, Sigma 150. Great rangers, but I hardly used the last 3 Sigma's and left Sigma definitely. I'd rather have image quality than a lot of mm's with less quality.

I used the 200 2.8L for tele/basketball pictures on my 40D & 5D2. So much detail, you can see the sweat on the players foreheads sharp from far away with amazing bokeh of the audience behind!

These pictures can be published immediately in a magazine, without any PS corrections or whatever needed!

It's hard to believe, but this red ring changed my whole photography, crop to fullframe and all L's now :-)

This is the compact Canon black lens with longest mm's, the 300 2.8 is white, I don't like long white lenses practically Smile

Jul 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LPrimeFreak to your Buddy List
hatch1921

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Jul 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Not heavy, super fast focus, great color/contrast and the bokeh is very pleasing.
Cons:

Almost the same results as the 135L. Blazing fast focus...bokeh looks great! Super sharp wide open! Sold the 70-200L IS F/2.8 for this lens... no regrets! Sharper than my 70-200 wide open... very nice lens. Best of all it doesn't fell like a tank in my hands.

Well worth the money IMO. Another great prime!

Hatch

Jul 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hatch1921 to your Buddy List
LeoJan

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: Jun 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optics are top, sharp, color, no CA. Nice bokeh, you can compare this lens with the 135L. Takes the 1.4 extender with very little loss, mch better then the 70-200 zooms.
Cons:
IS would be nice, but the alternative , the EF 200L F2.0 IS cost somewhat more :) and does not have the nice low profile.

Overall a very nice prime, with a lot of value for your money. Not a prime you use all the time, like a 50 or 35 mm, but I use it more then I thought I would. This prime has a lot of competition of the range of 70-200 L zooms from Canon itself, which are already are very good. Biggest reason to buy this lens secondhand was the size, weight, the nice black color. You can walk around town with this lens, I do not try that with my 70-200 L F2.8 IS. Cheap for the quality you get.

Jun 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LeoJan to your Buddy List
Ektar25

Registered: Mar 21, 2010
Review Date: May 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome sharpness Fantastic bokeh Compact & light compared to other telephoto lenses
Cons:

Read a lot of great comments about this lens before buying it. All of them are true. No micro-adjustment was necessary with my 5dII, the lens was sharp as a razor right out of the box. I have other L lenses, but so far this one is the sharpest of the bunch.

May 12, 2010