Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

171 350224 Aug 25, 2016
1ef200mmf_28_1_1_

Telephoto lens boasting high image quality and carrying ease. With two UD-glass elements and rear focusing to correct aberrations, image delineation is extremely sharp. Background blur is also natural-looking, as was simulated by Canon. The lens comes with a dedicated, detachable hood.

Page:  10 · 11

miles0823

Registered: Jan 11, 2004
Review Date: Oct 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $519.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything except the big hood
Cons:
Nothing except the big hood

I have had a few L lenses. This is the best one I have had yet. Someday I hope to be able to afford a 135 2.0 also. I am sure I will be just as happy with that lens. I do miss the zoom of my 70-200 2.8, but not the weight. I LOVE THIS LENS.

Oct 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add miles0823 to your Buddy List
pdhonte

Registered: May 11, 2003
Review Date: Aug 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sturdy but not too heavy, super sharp and beautiful bokeh
Cons:
Not included expensive tripod mount

I bought this lens instead of the 70-200 4L which was out of stock and I don't regret it. The prime aspect is a little difficult at first but one learns to get used to evaluating the distances before hand. Great of course for head shots, gives also - with a bit more of effort - very nice full body portraits. Perfect for the kids at the beach.

Couldn't recommend it more.

Aug 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pdhonte to your Buddy List
Olsen

Registered: May 4, 2003
Review Date: Aug 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Reaonably priced for high performance, lightweight and usefull for just anything from portraiture, landscape and wild animals. Just excellent with a 1,4x converter and very good with a 2x converter. Not to say a 25 mm extender ring which makes it a versatile macro tool.
Cons:
None, really, possibly with the exception of the rude and unsofisticated sun shade which can be troublesome to get off and on sometimes.

The only reasonably priced pro (L) tele lense on the EF menue. Beond this the lenses gets exessively expensive, heavy and bulky. Performance far better and a lot cheaper, a lot more compact and lighter than most of the zooms bought by most EOS system users. Possibly one of the best lenses that Canon makes. I reccommend this 200 mm 2,8 L II USM, - together with just any converter and the 25 mm extender and you have virtual photographical toolbox with a wide application range. - Far, far better buy than any zoom lense on the EF menue. One of the few lenes I have that I originally bought new together with my first EOS camera, the EOS3.

Very sharp, beautiful bukeh, fast AF, light and relatively compact to carry around. I use it a lot. Like on birds with a converter on snakes and insects with the extender and the plain lense on moose (from a car). I carry it along on long mountain treks, - it weighs practically nothing, on city tours and vacations to Asia. A 'must have' for any serious EOS shooter.

In comparison, my 300 mm 2,8 L USM hasn't been more than 500 meters from my car.

Aug 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Olsen to your Buddy List
Argyle Monkey

Registered: Dec 13, 2003
Review Date: Jul 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp across the aperature range, quick AF, very compact
Cons:

Bought a used MK1 version of this lens. I couldn't be happier with the quality of this lens. I've never experienced flare even with the short hood. This lens produces buttery smooth bokeh wide open with thremendous sharpness. I use this lens wide open the majority of the time unless I'm trying to get more DOF.

Jul 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Argyle Monkey to your Buddy List
rebel300

Registered: Dec 30, 2001
Review Date: Jun 23, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: extremely sharp on mk2
Cons:
none i can see

Very very sharp on the MK2...I see no difference between it and the 135/2...very nice lens and an easy carry...like the all black color also...

Jun 23, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add rebel300 to your Buddy List
Lars Johnsson

Registered: Jun 29, 2003
Review Date: Mar 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $610.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, Build quality, Light & Compact,
Cons:

Very sharp even wide open. Very close to my favorite lens (135 f/2L) in everything. It looks and feels the same. The image quality is nearly the same also.

Mar 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lars Johnsson to your Buddy List
vince

Registered: Mar 18, 2002
Review Date: Feb 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb optics, good build, low key black design, compact, light, easy to carry and handhold.
Cons:

I bought the mark-I version of this lens, second hand. It's one of the best lenses I've ever used or owned. The optics were absolutely superb, and the compact size and ease of handholding allowed me to do candids, street photography and general shooting without a tripod. The AF is very very fast and silent. There was nothing really wrong with this lens, but I realized that my shooting required a zoom more often than not, so I sold this and got a 70-200/4L instead. I still miss this lens, and if I buy another one I'd never sell it again.

Feb 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vince to your Buddy List
spartan123

Registered: Nov 9, 2003
Review Date: Nov 18, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons:

I use this lense a lot and every time I am amazed at the quality of pictures it produces. A great bargain.

Nov 18, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add spartan123 to your Buddy List
Quendler

Registered: Feb 10, 2003
Review Date: Aug 26, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, superb contrast, natural colors, light weight, fast AF, superb build quality, very good price (germany), 1,5m distance i.o. 1,8 at the 2,8 80-200 L used before
Cons:
sometimes I would like to have a zoom, no other negatives..

One of my favorite lenses - only the zoom I am sometimes missing (I used the 80-200 before).
I thought the 2,8/80-200 L has a superb image quality (and it has), but after buying the 2,8/200 L I really know the advantages of this prime - it is not only superb in sharpness, it also gives me pictures with superb contrast and very nice and natural colors - great!
No curves in PS needed any longer :-)))

Aug 26, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Quendler to your Buddy List
Kurt Jones

Registered: Oct 19, 2002
Review Date: Jun 12, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I love the size. It's sharp as a tack. Can be used with TC's (though I haven't used one on it yet). The AF is fast and responsive. Overall a great L lens, IMHO....
Cons:
The hood's a bit large. No other's that I can think of.

As I said above, this is a nice lens if you don't need the versatility of the zoom.
I like it. I don't use this focal lenth often, but when I do, I love the images it produces.

Jun 12, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kurt Jones to your Buddy List
GrizzlyMike

Registered: Sep 23, 2002
Review Date: Mar 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $785.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp. Great value.
Cons:

Extremely sharp, even wide open. Very good value for the price. To my eyes this lens is as sharp as(if not sharper)than my recently purchased 70-200 2.8 @200mm. Very minor image quality dropoff with the use of the 1.4x extender.

The only disadvantage for me personally was the fact that this lens was not used much due to the fact that I found I rarely needed this focal length for the shooting I do. Having the utility of the 70-200 zoom is much more of an advantage in the field and there is no sacrifice in quality. Potential buyers might want to consider this if they are looking for a prime at this focal length.

Mar 29, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GrizzlyMike to your Buddy List

Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM