Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

165 321756 May 22, 2013
9.8
1ef200mmf_28_1_1_

Telephoto lens boasting high image quality and carrying ease. With two UD-glass elements and rear focusing to correct aberrations, image delineation is extremely sharp. Background blur is also natural-looking, as was simulated by Canon. The lens comes with a dedicated, detachable hood.

Page:  10 · 11

vince

Registered: Mar 18, 2002
Review Date: Feb 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb optics, good build, low key black design, compact, light, easy to carry and handhold.
Cons:

I bought the mark-I version of this lens, second hand. It's one of the best lenses I've ever used or owned. The optics were absolutely superb, and the compact size and ease of handholding allowed me to do candids, street photography and general shooting without a tripod. The AF is very very fast and silent. There was nothing really wrong with this lens, but I realized that my shooting required a zoom more often than not, so I sold this and got a 70-200/4L instead. I still miss this lens, and if I buy another one I'd never sell it again.

Feb 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vince to your Buddy List
spartan123

Registered: Nov 9, 2003
Review Date: Nov 18, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons:

I use this lense a lot and every time I am amazed at the quality of pictures it produces. A great bargain.

Nov 18, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add spartan123 to your Buddy List
Quendler

Registered: Feb 10, 2003
Review Date: Aug 26, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, superb contrast, natural colors, light weight, fast AF, superb build quality, very good price (germany), 1,5m distance i.o. 1,8 at the 2,8 80-200 L used before
Cons:
sometimes I would like to have a zoom, no other negatives..

One of my favorite lenses - only the zoom I am sometimes missing (I used the 80-200 before).
I thought the 2,8/80-200 L has a superb image quality (and it has), but after buying the 2,8/200 L I really know the advantages of this prime - it is not only superb in sharpness, it also gives me pictures with superb contrast and very nice and natural colors - great!
No curves in PS needed any longer :-)))

Aug 26, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Quendler to your Buddy List
Kurt Jones

Registered: Oct 19, 2002
Review Date: Jun 12, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I love the size. It's sharp as a tack. Can be used with TC's (though I haven't used one on it yet). The AF is fast and responsive. Overall a great L lens, IMHO....
Cons:
The hood's a bit large. No other's that I can think of.

As I said above, this is a nice lens if you don't need the versatility of the zoom.
I like it. I don't use this focal lenth often, but when I do, I love the images it produces.

Jun 12, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kurt Jones to your Buddy List
GrizzlyMike

Registered: Sep 23, 2002
Review Date: Mar 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $785.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp. Great value.
Cons:

Extremely sharp, even wide open. Very good value for the price. To my eyes this lens is as sharp as(if not sharper)than my recently purchased 70-200 2.8 @200mm. Very minor image quality dropoff with the use of the 1.4x extender.

The only disadvantage for me personally was the fact that this lens was not used much due to the fact that I found I rarely needed this focal length for the shooting I do. Having the utility of the 70-200 zoom is much more of an advantage in the field and there is no sacrifice in quality. Potential buyers might want to consider this if they are looking for a prime at this focal length.

Mar 29, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GrizzlyMike to your Buddy List

Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM