Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

45 177550 Jul 31, 2014
EF24_14LII

Canon's newest fixed length L-series lens, the EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM, incorporates the newest in Canon lens technology for spectacular sharpness and impressive performance at all settings. It features two high-precision, large-diameter aspherical lenses for sharpness across the sensor, even in peripheral areas of full-frame sensors. Lens elements have a newly-designed anti-reflective SWC (Sub Wavelength Coating) that departs from conventional coatings by using an extremely fine structure that minimizes ghosting and flaring across the lens surface, regardless of the angle with which light enters or exits. It also features two UD lens elements to minimize chromatic aberrations, incorporates rear-focusing, ultrasonic, quiet and high-speed AF with full-time manual override. A circular aperture provides beautiful out-of-focus detail and offers legendary dust- and water-resistant L-series construction using only lead-free glass.

Aspherical and UD lens elements for correction of chromatic aberration. (2 UD Lens Elements)
Circular aperture for pleasing bokeh. (8 blades)
Lead-free glass
Diagonal Angle of View: 84
Focus Adjustment: Rear focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance: 3.0 in./77mm
Maximum magnification: 0.17x
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.4 in./86.9mm; 22.9 oz./650g
Lens hood and pouch supplied
Weather sealed
Provides distance information for E-TTL II flash metering

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Oct 29, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: well....it is fast, great bokeh, sharp
Cons:
not meeting the quality of the 35mm l 1.4

I used to own this lens. To be honest it wasn't much better than my 24 70mm 2.8. It is possible that I had a bad copy but none of my friends rave about this lens. Buy a 35mm 1.4 instead or a 24 70. The latter is much cheaper. You can see some samples here in the engagement section under portfolio: www.haringphotography.com
I hope this helps!

Oct 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
Jim Heine

Registered: Apr 9, 2007
Review Date: Oct 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp!, beautiful colors, contrast, bokeh, build quality is outstanding, manual focus ring is great, superb optics, very little CA considering, weather sealing, low distortion, quality at f/1.4
Cons:
Expensive!!!, 77mm filters (all my other L primes are 72mm), noticeable vignetting wide open, wish canon would have put this effort into making a 28L lens instead (my favorite walk-around wide-angle focal length)

This is the first wide angle prime from canon that I really fell in love with. The 35L is pretty good, but this lens is an absolutely beauty to use. Even though it is 24mm, this lens is sharper than my 35L at all f-stops. Build quality and optics are truly outstanding (see my pros). This biggest negative I see is the noticeable vignetting at f/1.4 on a full frame body (What can we expect at 24mm?).

I didn't rate the price because I think the price is a little absurd, but the quality is definitely there for this lens. I paid more than my 85L II! However, I would say this is just about a perfect lens. The only other lens that has gone into that category for me is the 135L. Worth it!

Oct 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jim Heine to your Buddy List
timpdx

Registered: Feb 1, 2005
Review Date: Oct 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I am simply in awe. Been shooting semi pro for over a decade and never seen glass this good.
Cons:
Its darn expensive

Sharp, even wide open. Highly resistant to flare (except from near perpendicular light, hood protects from that)

There is no distortion. CA? I don't see it. Corners? Excellent. Build? L quality through and through. As a semi pro, this lens is going to get serious use. Lack of distortion and high resistance to flare means when I am shooting anything architectural, the 24-105 stays in the bag. For travel & stock, this gem will pay dividends in evening and night shots. There will also be narrow DOF applications which sharp 1.4 will help. Its nice and rectilinear, so I can sell my 50 Macro, because this is a great repro. lens for my purposes.

Oct 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add timpdx to your Buddy List
LZ7J

Registered: Feb 22, 2004
Review Date: Jul 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open, excellent colours and contrast, much improved build quality compared to the mk1, it's now as good as my 35L (minus the CA!), smoother bokeh
Cons:
Price!

I've owned the mk1 version of this lens for almost a year - only shot 783 pictures with it. The week after I received my 24L mk2, I've doubled my previous shot count. I enjoy using this lens. Dare I say it, this lens is the slight better version of my 35L ~ only wider. I have zero complaints regarding this lens. My only nit-pick is the hood is a little big.

I have several A2 prints shot on a 5d2 wide-open-2.0 and it looks great! Well worth the premium over the mk1. Thanks Canon!

Jul 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LZ7J to your Buddy List
thedigitalbean

Registered: Jun 24, 2005
Review Date: Jun 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even wide open, little no CA even wide open, focus is fast, bokeh seems improved over the Mk1 (and the 35L)
Cons:
Price, vignetting from f/1.4 - f/2

Bought this lens almost as soon as it was available and I've been shooting with it for a few months now. I also own the 35L and have owned the mk1 before.

The lens is superb. Its extremely sharp, the colors are punchy and the CA is virtually absent. The only IQ downside is the vignetting from f/1.4 to f/2, it seems to vignette a little bit more than the Mk1. I find that this makes little different to my photos since the types of pictures I take with this lens end up needing that vignetting. The combination of sharpness, shallow depth of field for a wide angle, little CA, punch colors and vignetting give a unique rendering to the images produced by this lens and its a rendering I like a lot.

Jun 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thedigitalbean to your Buddy List
Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: Jun 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, well build as any L, weathersealed, relatively small. Great L colors & contrast, fast AF. Focus on spot on both 5D mk II & 1D mk III since first shot, no microadjustments requared.
Cons:
Price, heavier and slightly bigger than even 35L, hood seem big.

I own previous version of 24L lens and that was one of the best L primes I ever own and I own lots of L ... Smile Regardless to some bad reviews my copy was amazing. However I sold it (don't know why Smile) to get latest and greatest mk II model Smile I waited about 8 month since I sold original 24L to get this lens and no disappointments at all! It is very sharp at any aperture, build as tank, weather sealed!
However please note: Lens become heavier and bigger than mk I, it is even bigger/heavier than 35L now. Huge hood, dono why Canon can't reuse one from 35L????

I am planning to take this lens to my next Italy trip and I hope to bring some good excellent back Smile)

Jun 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
John Daniel

Registered: Jun 6, 2004
Review Date: May 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, sharpness, 3D effect, great lens for landscape as well (what I am using it for)
Cons:
Pricey a bit

May 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Daniel to your Buddy List
rolfy

Registered: Jul 10, 2005
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Apr 21, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: My copy is very, very sharp even wide open. Great improvement.wonderful lens!
Cons:
None for the moment unless vigetting wide open.

Sharper than my canon 24/70 2.8 at 24mm.
No distortion.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rolfy to your Buddy List
djcz

Registered: Apr 19, 2009
Review Date: Apr 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great wide angle lens, lots improvement than version I
Cons:
Still not sharp enough at wide open

Sharpness: Wide open center slight better than the 35L and 50L, 85L or 14L II is touch better. wide open corner is acceptable, better than 24L I, stop down provide excellent sharpness

Color/Contrast: Wonderful, equal to 85L

CA: Excellent, better than 35L, similar to 85L

Vignetting: has some, better than version I, gone under f2.8

Distortion: Nothing there

Bokeh: Perfect for such a wide angle lens

Apr 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add djcz to your Buddy List
Maggot

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Apr 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp wide open. Small and light. Color and contrast you expect from an L lens.
Cons:
none that I can find yet.

I just bought this lens less than 24 hours ago and have only started to test it, but from some very informal shots at f/1.4, I can say this lens is very sharp wide open. It appears to be just as sharp wide open as my 35L f/1.4. I'll have to do some serious comparisions between the two, but so far I'm impressed. On my 5D2, there's a very small amount of front focus, which will be no problem to dial in, but zoomed in all the way on the LCD, the focus point is quite sharp. Definetely a keeper. AF seems accurate and responsive as well.

Apr 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Maggot to your Buddy List
jhapeman

Registered: Sep 20, 2004
Posts: 2007
Review Date: Feb 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: F/1.4--need I say anything else? Very sharp (even wide open), virtually no CA, great contrast, fast AF.
Cons:
A little heavy and bulky, but its the price you pay for fast wide glass and professional-grade construction.

I wasn't sure how much of an improvement the Mark II would be over the original Mark I version of this lens, but as someone who does a lot of low-light and night photography, I wanted it to be sharper and have less than chromatic aberration. It does not disappoint. The center of the frame is much sharper below f/2.8 than the Mark I version (after f/2.8, they are very similar) and is particularly improved at f/1.4. It is sharper farther out to the corners at all apertures relative to the Mark I version. The Mark II has virtually no chromatic aberration, which is a substantial improvement over the Mark I lens. It has excellent contrast, even wide open, giving the images more "pop" than the Mark I version. A very worthy upgrade.

Feb 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jhapeman to your Buddy List
nickstills

Registered: Nov 3, 2007
Review Date: Jan 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent colour, high contrast, sharp wide open, superb build quality.
Cons:
large and heavy with a huge lens hood that I will not be using.

I find that this is a noticeably better lens than my two year old Canon 24mm f2.8 lens.
For a start the build quality is superb and the optical performance is so much better that I can see the difference between the two lenses straight away on the screen of the camera (1DsMk3).
At the aperture of f2.8 it is sharper, has higher contrast and is much brighter around the edges than my old 24mm f2.8. Even at f4.5 I can see a difference between the two lenses. I have not tested the lens above f4.5.
At the maximum aperture of f1.4 the performance is very good indeed-though not quite as sharp as at f2.8 (which is as expected). The edges at f1.4 are pretty good too if a little darker (also to be expected) but this does not bother me and I am certainly going to work happily at full aperture with this lens.
After taking and looking at only a few frames I can see already that this is a great lens; one that I will be able to rely on at work to do it's best (so now I only have me to blame). And considering it's high optical quality and superb build compared to say a Leica or a Hasselblad lens, I think it is a bargain.

Jan 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nickstills to your Buddy List
realmunseen

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Jan 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: F1.4, water-resistant lens, CA well controlled, flare well controlled, solid build, holds sharp detail when wide open (F1.4) to the edges better than the first version, has modern electronics allowing easier and more precise AF calibration than the first version, and anti-reflective SWC (Sub Wavelength Coating) on the outer lens element
Cons:
none really... bigger and heavier (think 35L size) than the first version

This is my first choice for low-light atmospheric scenes. The 24L can be handheld down to 1/8-1/30 sec (depending how stable you are), which in combo with today's high ISO ceilings, can be used as a powerful photographic weapon to master dark environments without flash. I find the 24L can be used handheld in darker places than any other Canon lens made. A must have lens and glued to one of my 1DsIII's on every wedding I shoot.
Canon transformed the weaknesses of the original 24L into the strengths of the 35L in this second edition. Ironically, the 24L II even looks like a 35L as well as performs like one.
Also note that the minimum focusing distance is unchanged from the first version at 0.25 m or 0.82 feet (9.8 inches), and not the distance listed in the specs above, which is the filter size.

Jan 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add realmunseen to your Buddy List

Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM