Canon EOS 5D Mark II

165 194464 Mar 26, 2014
5DII_1_

21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).
Automatic peripheral illumination correction.
Magnesium alloy construction with 'additional' environmental protection
Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.
Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing of fine detail and color reproduction as well as reduced image noise.
High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.
Live View Function for stills (Quick, Live and Face Detection AF modes) and video.
3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings for improved viewing and smudge protection.
Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor.
9 AF points 6 Assist AF points.
UDMA memory card compatibility: Maximum 310 large JPEG images in a single burst with a UDMA card.

Tony Howell

Registered: Dec 1, 2004
Review Date: Apr 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, Light weight (after using 1DS MKII for years), HD video, Custom settings dial
Cons:
No built in flash, top switch not lockable and easily gets knocked. Always disliked Canons On/Off switch position

Great image quality, as good as 1DS MkII but with larger files.
High ISO excellent, much better than 1DS MkII. Luckily image quality is still a long way off my Phase One P45 (39 megapixels), but this camera is a total bargain in comparison!
I've really enjoyed walking around with this camera compared to 4 years lugging the brick which was my 1DS MkII.
Would like a pop-up flash for fill-in, come on Canon!
Always disliked Canons On/Off switch position, prefer Nikons.

Don't ass about though, just buy it, it's brilliant.

Plenty of example images here http://www.tonyhowell.co.uk/new/newimages.htm

Apr 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tony Howell to your Buddy List
rk-d

Registered: Feb 25, 2009
Review Date: Mar 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptional resolution, excellent noise performance, lightweight, excellent color rendition, good build quality, no cheap built in flash, excellent center point AF performance, good value. Video mode is a nice add-on.
Cons:
CF door squeaks, Auto ISO not very adjustable, AI servo not as good as Nikon and peripheral AF points not cross type, no AF assist,

Better build than the 5D, with a better grip and more solid, dense feel. CF door can be squeaky if you really wrench the grip, but a little Blu-Tack solved that problem. Otherwise, no major complaints. It's not as luxurious feeling as the d700, but definitely an improvement over the 5D and very slick looking in person.

Ergonomics are completely different from Nikon. Canon and Nikon have polar opposite design philosophies and I like both in practice. The Canon may take a little longer to adjust yourself to, but in the end both work very well.

Image quality is, flat out, the best I've ever used. There is a real resolution difference here. When I downsize images to 12 megapixel size, the sharpness and noise performance is as good as it gets. Overall noise when downsized to d700 size is superior to that camera. At 100%, the d700 has a slight edge above ISO 2000. Why anyone would look at 21 mpx images at 100%, though, is beyond me. Approximately 1 stop advantage compared to the 5D.

Haven't seen any dust problems with the camera, but I don't change lenses a great deal. Using a 24-70 lens hasn't shown any dust sucking issues.

No built in flash, but that's an advantage in my book. These things are worthless with large lenses/hoods and are cheap feeling/looking and tend to pop open at inopportune times.

AF center point accuracy is excellent, in my experience. I don't use AI servo, so I can't really comment on it's performance. That said, this is just not the camera for fast moving subjects. If that's your game, look elsewhere. Contrary to some reports, I find the low light AF to be comparable to Nikon with the center point. An AF assist lamp would be nice, but I have noticed these things are worthless with larger sized lenses/hoods that block the light.

Video mode is pretty cool, but you can't adjust aperture, which is annoying. That said, I never use it.

This is not a perfect camera and not as feature packed as the d700. I was a detractor when it was first released along with everybody else. The funny thing is, though, that in use this is a fantastic tool that produces exceptional images. I have been blown away by the detail in RAW -- it's addictive.

Bottom line - if it's image quality you care about, this is as good as it gets (with the possible exception of the d3x). In that context, this camera represents an excellent value.

Mar 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rk-d to your Buddy List
Nick Baker

Registered: Mar 29, 2009
Review Date: Mar 30, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing IQ, Full Frame, Beautiful screen, Live View, MF adjustments, Good viewfinder, Awesome battery, Amazing high ISO IQ,
Cons:
AF is behind the times, cheap CF door, Poor Bracketing options, NO SECOND SD/CF slot... FOR SHAME......

Perfect camera for my needs. I work as a food an architecture photographer so this camera fits my needs almost perfectly (no need for 1ds3 autofocus). The IQ is beyond amazing.

My only real complaint is the lack of a second slot for backup memory. I feel like 3000$ entitles me to a standard feature like this.

Mar 30, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nick Baker to your Buddy List
animefx

Registered: Apr 22, 2008
Review Date: Mar 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Low noise at high ISOs, Great color, Nice LCD screen, Contrasty images, Beautiful 1080p HD video, Nice step up from 1.6x crop cameras
Cons:
Maximum of 1/200th Flash sync speed or slower, AF system is old, Needs more focal points, Availability of batteries is simply terrible... I've been stuck with 1 battery since for almost 4 months.

My 3rd DSLR. I started with a 20D and then upgraded to a 40D a year later. I wanted the original 5D for quite some time but decided to wait for an updated version, and I'm glad I did. I got my 5D Mark II the day before my 30th birthday. It was the ultimate birthday present to myself!

Let's start with the negative aspects... Moving from 1.6x crop camera sensor to Full Frame is a huge deal and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Your habits may change a little, focusing and recomposing suddenly becomes more difficult do to the shallower depth of field. Because of this, I really wish Canon gave us more focal points to choose from, I only really trust the center point on this camera. Of course having a shallower depth of field is what makes this camera great, you can get creamy bokeh that just isn't possible out of a 20D or 40D, unless you have some ridiculously expensive lenses.

Another issue this camera has its its slow flash sync speed. It's the same as the original 5D, which is 1/200th of a second. You get another 1/3rd of a stop with most crop camera's in Canon's lineup, and better if you decide to get a 1D or 1Ds series camera. If your external flash supports high speed sync (Canon's do) this isn't a major problem except that it eats batteries faster, gives you less range, and the recycle time is longer. It's not going to prevent you from getting any shot that you could get with your 40D, but its a minor annoyance that Canon should have addressed.

Wildlife photographers.... Unless you plan on taking photos of larger animals, or larger birds you might want to pass on the 5D Mark II unless you have a 500mm or longer lens. I have a 300mm f/4L IS + a 1.4x TC which gives me a focal length of 420mm and an aperture of f/5.6 wide open, and I can tell you its not even close to enough. I'll do great with this at most zoos, sitting outside in view of a bird feeder, at parks where birds are used to humans, but not many other scenarios. I would assume a 500mm + 1.4x TC should be enough to get highly detailed shots at a reasonable distance, if your serious about wildlife photographer you probably have a 500, 600, or 800mm anyway. Otherwise those of us who own a lens like the 300mm f/4 or 400mm f/5.6, the best choice might be the Canon 50D. You will get almost twice the detail.

My only other real problem is the shortage of batteries. Because of new battery technology, you can only buy this battery from Canon (as of this writing) and they have been sold out since I got my 5D Mark II in December. I need at least a 2nd battery, if not a 3rd, and I can't find them anywhere and I'm not alone on this. Batteries are also a bit expensive, at $79.95 the cheapest I've seen, if you need an extra one now be prepared to shell out up to $170 for a desperation cost that scalpers are taking advantage of.

So what do I like about the 5D Mark II? For starters the noise at higher ISOs is a good stop and a half cleaner than my 40D. Also, you will typically see less color banding, which became a problem over iso 1600 on the 40D.

The color and contrast that comes from the 5D Mark II with the right lenses is nothing short of amazing. You will see some of the best looking photos using this camera with a high quality lens like the 135mm f/2L, 85mm f/1.2L mkII, 35mm f/1.4L, etc. The 5D Mark II has greater dynamic range in both the shadows and highlights than the original 5D and all of Canon's crop cameras. Especially in the highlights you can get very white "whites" with detail, when older cameras might overexpose. It's amazing to me that there are 3 Nikons, and 1 Sony camera that have slightly better dynamic range than the 5D Mark II. However, I wouldn't trade this camera for any of those.

I could go on and on about how amazing this camera is but I'll stop here.

Mar 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add animefx to your Buddy List
mccool

Registered: Apr 8, 2005
Review Date: Mar 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: ISO, Full HD Video, Weight and low price.
Cons:
No auto focus during video.

I am very impressed with the quality at 50 iso and at 6400 iso. I primarily shoot weddings and this camera is a blessing to my work
in low light. I also was impressed with the video, but I never intended
on using this option. Now I have to get a new MAC due to the file sizes.
Overall this camera is remarkable. Thanks CANON.

Mar 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mccool to your Buddy List
Billdev

Registered: Feb 5, 2006
Review Date: Mar 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, dynamic range, lack of high ISO noise, live view, great LCD, new menu system, better weather sealing than 5D
Cons:
VF blackout time, weather sealing should be better - both minor issues for me

This camera produces stunning images and is reasonably priced. I had the original 5D for 2 years, and I couldn't imagine that the new one could be much better. I have quickly realized that the 5D2 is well worth the upgrade, especially for landscape photography. This camera will be with me for a minimum of 5 years, and probably even more.

Mar 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Billdev to your Buddy List
davidinjp

Registered: Mar 13, 2009
Review Date: Mar 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Resolution, detail, high ISO performance, reliability, smaller than 1D series, full-frame, newer menu system. Overall image quality, dynamic range is better than my old 5D.
Cons:
Automatic sensor cleaning is marketing gimmick, no difference from my 5D. Video lacks controls and often ruined by sensor dust and random whit or black spots, still much prefer my old HDV camcorder any day. Any camera over $2,000 should have better weather sealing. Battery life shorter than 5D even without using LV or video. Reveals the faults of most photographers by looking less sharp when you miss focus or have camera shake. (I guess that is a good thing :)

I was one of the first to get this camera in November 2008. I have just passed 10,000 clicks with it. Very pleased all around with the image quality. I shoot mainly landscapes, flowers, and temples and shrines and stuff. It has never let me down, although it meter 2/3 of stop darker than my old 5D in snow and often when using flash, but not always. Keep an eye on the histogram.

Overall, never been happier and I am hard to please. I shoot and post at least one photo every day.

Samples at http://dave.jp

Mar 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add davidinjp to your Buddy List
Mark Cullenane

Registered: Dec 26, 2007
Review Date: Mar 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: This would have to be the best investment I have made in my Photography in several years
Cons:
Non

I bought the 5Dmk2 together with the 24-105 L as a kit, just because I saved $400 on the deal.

I have had several digital cameras in the last few years including Nikon D70s, then I changed to Canon and have both a 40D and a 50D in addition to the 5Dmk2.
In together with my colection of L Glass this camera produces results that are nothing short of spectacular. I use my cameras for Weddings, Portraits, Product Shots and various commercial Photo shoots.
The lack of noise and low light results leave anything short of medium format digital far behind.

Mar 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark Cullenane to your Buddy List
perpera

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Review Date: Mar 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, full frame, resolution, iso performance, build quality, screen, auto sensor cleaning, operation speed, center point AF performance
Cons:
none for landscape photography

Being into landscape photography everything is just perfect from my point of view.

Mar 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add perpera to your Buddy List
jcrawford

Registered: Dec 15, 2004
Review Date: Mar 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, ISO, Large Viewfinder, large excellent IQ lcd,
Cons:
compared to my 20D not much...

I upgraded from my 20D which I purchased the day it was released. The only downside I see is that a few of my older lenses needed to be upgraded because of softness in the corners that I did not noticed on the 20D ( this is not the problem of the 5Dm2)

I have had this camera for 2 weeks and so far it has been very good... I can't believe how much I missed full frame.

Mar 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jcrawford to your Buddy List
dgenx24

Registered: Jan 29, 2008
Review Date: Mar 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: resolution, better lcd, video
Cons:
not built well, dust sucker

picture quality at high iso is stunning with all that details.
i love the high-rez lcd. i like the bigger top lcd..
I like the rubberized side panels, very nicely updated over 5D classic i think..

it's more handsome looking than 5D...
but I am not really sure if it's better built than my 5D. it sucks in dust like crazy.. dust in the view finder, top lcd (not on the lcd,.. inside!!), back lcd (not on the lcd,.. inside!!).. gee....
and the battery compartment door squeaks after some use..
I have to give built rating a 7..sorry..

well.. but what can I do.. this thing works!!
well, to say things more nicely,
this is one dirty art making machine...

Mar 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dgenx24 to your Buddy List
kingoftheapes

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Mar 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Resolution. Build quality. Full frame.
Cons:
Autofocus should have been improved and is slow. Not great for sports. Cannot access custom flash functions in camera for the older 580 EX flash. No pop up flash. Should have continuous autofocus for video.

Great camera and a real step up for most users.
Amazing low light pictures.

Resolution and picture quality are fantastic.

However, the auto focus is really lagging behind the competitors (nikon).

Video mode on this camera is not for the casual user and the lack of continuous autofocus is a killer when you want to film your kids who move all over the place. Newer SLR's coming out will surely have this enabled.

Lack of pop up flash is disappointing for those times you need a quick fill flash or don't want to carry around a giant external flash.

I'm sure the next gen of 5D will address these issues.

Mar 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kingoftheapes to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Location: Ethiopia
Review Date: Mar 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,595.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic camera for artist, someone who takes fine picture for fine printing.
Cons:
NON, NADA ... ZIP - ZERO !

At this moment, this cam is a great value for money and as far quality of image ... AWESOME.

Mar 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
nazdravanul

Registered: Jul 1, 2008
Location: Romania
Review Date: Mar 6, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: This is an update of my previous review : I was initially planning on keeping my 1d3 along the 5d2. The superior IQ, ergonomics (for me), vastly superior cropping possibilities for my primes only shooting style, and few better features (LCD, Quick AF during lLiveVIew, etc) made me ditch my beloved 1d3 for a second 5d2.
Cons:
The 5d2 remains a dust magnet. It is my dirtiest DLSR to date. I hate especially the viewfinder dust/dirt that is very hard to clean (it sticks on the pentaprism ).

see above

Mar 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nazdravanul to your Buddy List
Bull59

Registered: Mar 2, 2009
Review Date: Mar 3, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Solid build. 21MP full frame. NEW DIGIC 4 Processor. Liveview. HD video capture.
Cons:
Availability of spare LP-E6 battery packs, can't get one anywhere and I've tried.

Very nice camera, solid build and comfortable in my hands.
Shame about the availabilty of spare LP-E6 batteries.

Mar 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bull59 to your Buddy List
Bull59

Registered: Mar 2, 2009
Review Date: Mar 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Beautiful, solid and comfortable feel, and I love the function buttons. 21MP Full Frame. Liveview. HD movie mode.
Cons:
Can' buy a spare battery anywhere in UK, and I've tried everywhere over the past 2 months. Canon please get production/distribution sorted. No built in flash (this may turn out to be a plus point later).

Hello all (first post)

I bought the Canon Eos 5D mark II in late December 2008.
This is my first full frame camera.
I love the weigh and comfortable feel.

I'm a newcomber to digital SLR cameras yet this is my fourth D-SLR in 2 years having previously owned a Pentax istDL, Pentax K10D, Canon Eos 40D.
This is the one I will be using over the next few years, if not longer.
I sat down the other day with the manual in one hand and the camera in the other and as I read the manual I played with the camera.
Press this button, rotate the dial etc.. I learnt a lot about the functions/settings.
I can now alter the shutter speed, the aperture, the iso etc.. in a few seconds, this would of taken me several minutes previously.
I was like a kid with a new toy.

Tip:
Read the manual and check out and try all the functions/settings etc..

Mar 2, 2009