Canon EOS 5D Mark II

165 194080 Mar 26, 2014
5DII_1_

• 21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).
• Automatic peripheral illumination correction.
• Magnesium alloy construction with 'additional' environmental protection
• Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.
• Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing of fine detail and color reproduction as well as reduced image noise.
• High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.
• Live View Function for stills (Quick, Live and Face Detection AF modes) and video.
• 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings for improved viewing and smudge protection.
• Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor.
• 9 AF points 6 Assist AF points.
• UDMA memory card compatibility: Maximum 310 large JPEG images in a single burst with a UDMA card.

halse

Registered: Oct 29, 2005
Review Date: May 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, IQ, IQ, relatively low noise
Cons:
metering could be better

received an early one in 12/08 so have had this for about 5 months and many 1000s of pics..

IQ is great, view finder is bright, manual focus is sharp, consistent metering, shoot about 95% AV and about half manual focus, does the color red very well, remote was only $20 and works, overall very happy with this camera

the 5D2 and 70-200 f4 IS are a nearly perfect match

weakness: metering could be better but at least it is consistent, many outdoor shots are taken at +/- 1 ev or more

high ISO sensitivity is quite good but the noise is there at 1600 and above

other: menu/LCD are fine but rarely use other than for a histogram glance; AF is fine with a reasonably well defined subject- good enough for most candids even while holding the camera at arms length above the head or at the side; haven't used video, picture styles or any jpeg function enough to comment; microfocus is nice but none of my lenses seemed to need it

next up is a tilt shift 90 with tethered shooting of landscapes

curious feature: 17-40 works much, much better with 5D2 than 20D- almost like it is a different lens; not only is the focus better but the contrast and color are much better as well; the other lenses showed the expected improvement with going to FF etc

May 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add halse to your Buddy List
akilah

Registered: Aug 27, 2008
Review Date: May 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, good high iso, numerous features
Cons:
Frames per second is lower than I'd like

I've owned a number of digital SLR's, 300D, 400D, 40D & 50D. I've also had a chance to compare the output of this camera with a Nikon D700.

First off, the image quality is outstanding relative to any camera I own. Part of that is the light captured at full-frame. Relative to the 50D the images are sharper and have much less noise for a given ISO.

A friend has a D700, so we compared results. The results from both cameras were excellent, but due to the higher resolution sensor of the 5D MII there was more detail in the 5D. Also, although the D700 on a per pixel basis had better high-iso performance, the cameras were about even for the overall noise on the photo at high-iso -- in other words, the greater resolution itself allows for lower noise.

So the high-iso on an overall picture basis, not a pixel vs. pixel basis, seemed very comparable to a D700, and on a "normal" iso photo the higher resolution produced greater detail. Both cameras have great color.

The 5D MkII is sharper than the 50D on a per-pixel basis. The 50D has a much higher density of pixels and seems to hit the limit of the lens resolution, while 5D is comfortably within that limit. For this reason, and the full frame and better high-iso, it is a much better camera than the 50D.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add akilah to your Buddy List
scolson1964

Registered: Feb 18, 2009
Review Date: May 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Low Noise, Full frame, Takes advantage of faster lenses
Cons:
Focus issues at times

I don't have the original 5D to compare to, only the 40D. Don't get me wrong, I have always liked my 40D, but of the small annoyances I have with it the 5D MKII has taken care of everyone.

The LCD screen is incredible. This was one of the issues I had with the 40D; you could not gauge whether you had captured a great shot. WIth the 5D MKII I don't have that problem. I have many more keepers as the LCD screen allows me to better gauge exposure and focus.

I compared Noise Levels between the 40D and 5D MKII and feel like 40D ISO 3200 is equivalent to 5D ISO12800. Shooting many times in a lot of low light and not really liking to use flash this feature alone has sold me. I have even shot some images using ISO25600 out in the streets at night and while there is quite a bit of noise, to me they are usable whereas before I wouldn't have the shot.

The menus are laid out the same as the 40D so there was no learning curve which was welcomed.

THe ability to have an adjustment for each lense was one reason when the 50D came out I almost jumped, but decided to wait an upgrade to full frame at the same time.

I calibrated each lens and was very pleased with the results. I felt my 17-40mm f/4L lens always gave great results but after a +9 adjustment I can definitely tell the difference. The 70-200mm F/4L IS and 20-35mm F/2.8L were dead on which did not surprise me.

Now the best part. THe picture quality is nothing short of amazing in my opinion. The 40D was great, and the 5D MKII surpasses it completely. Paired with great glass and fast aperture the bokeh achieved is even more unbeleivable.

The frames per second, granted is slow, but if I know I will be shooting a lot of action then I will grab the 40D.

The only problem I have had at times if with focus as many other reviews have elluded to. Every once in a while it does a poor job of focusing; low light and daylight. I might eventually send it in to Canon, but right now with all the positives I am not willing to part with the camera for even a day.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add scolson1964 to your Buddy List
Philip Mc

Registered: Feb 27, 2007

Pros: Resolution is wow, colours, frame rate increase is a help, love the new menu system, love the sensor clean , live view, micro adjust, video is fun and the quality is A+
Cons:
Mine had developed a fault shortly after I recieved it and was fully repaired with new parts by CPS other than that not a whole lot........ cant get a second battery yet(although nothing really to do with the camera) grip was expensive(although nothing really to do with the camera) the only real negitive with the actual unit is the brutal CF door it drives me mad!!!!! bought the grip just to shut it up creaking LoL.

I bought the camera from a guy in the U.K who had some financial problems and needed to sell quickly....in comparison to prices here in Ireland I got a steal I paid £2700 stg for the camera+24-105+580EX MKii+remote cord plus+ off camera flash cord. The unit was 4 weeks old it arrived not working correctly the virwfinder info was all messed up kind of the way an old clock in your car would appear, CPS in the U.K fixed it with no questions asked not even a receipt was asked for as the model was only 4 months n the shops. Got it back 10 days later viewfinder + some fuses replaced and all is good.
I feel the camera is a great step forward in every aspect to an already outstanding camera (5d MKI) which I loved. The colours and resolution are amazing the full frame DOF is as good, don’t know what the figure say put dynamic range is fantastic, AF is fine it’s accurate and fast enough to deal with a lot of the type of shooting I do and my1D takes care of the sport and birds!
The build is good only for the CF door which is a disgrace! Why try save pennies on this part? It really takes from the shooting experience and bugs the **** out of me....I have the bg6 on the body now and it has stopped the door creaking.
I have been very happy with the flash performance as well, I don’t know if canon tweaked this aspect but I am getting great exposures and great colours when using flash.
All said and done it’s a great camera and I hope one day to be able to do it justice!!!!!!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Philip Mc to your Buddy List
Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: May 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IQ, low noise on high ISO, lots of new in compare to 5D classic
Cons:
Still low fps, price, no crop mode. Not as superb AF, but OK. Too much dedicated to direct printing.

I own several Canon bodies so far as well as 5D classic but neither of them close to 5D mk II in IQ/noise control. I am very impressed with this body, tons of new and useful. I am not video/live view fan, just not for me, but body having plenty new without.
Great job Canon, wish all new bodies will be surprising as this one to me.

May 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
KimS

Registered: Jan 29, 2005
Review Date: May 15, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: On paper has everything I wanted- higher ISO, higher resolution
Cons:
Inaccurate AF. Inaccurate AF. Inaccurate AF. They moved the buttons slightly on the MK2 from the MK1 and proved to be an unanticipated, big problem. ISO/noise not as impressive as everyone else was reporting.

I was so excited to get this camera and it broke my heart. I couldn't get it to focus on the broad side of a barn. I got rid of it pretty quickly. In hindsight, I probably should have / could have spent more time micro adjusting, but it was sent in with my lenses three times to Canon who failed to calibrate it. For me, a camera that cannot focus properly is completely USELESS. I didn't spend several thousand dollars on the sharpest prime lenses on the market to have my images come out soft. And for those wondering, I am a center-point AF shooter.

They also moved the buttons. I think I'm the only person that has a problem with this as no one else has mentioned it, but it was horrible. I am a manual shooter, and I shoot with three cameras, two 5DMK1's and the MK2. at first i was having problems changing settings on the fly with the MK2, but once I retrained my brain, I was using my new muscle memory on the MK1 and changing the drive mode to timer when I meant to change the ISO and other things like that.. other than flat out missing recessionals because of that, having to slow down in general and think about where my settings are was just completely throwing me off. At some point when I can afford to switch over and get three, i will do it, but for now I can't have two cameras with different layouts.

I did not spend much time with MK2. I shot two weddings with it. I did not see much difference in IQ, other than my shots being out of focus. There was more noise than I had expected after all of the "silky smooth" reports.

Overall this is just such a bummer. Maybe I'll try again later.

May 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KimS to your Buddy List
bbudman

Registered: Dec 22, 2005
Review Date: May 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid high ISO performance, Excellent menu system, Great viewfinder, Great battery performance, Wonderful image quality
Cons:
Expensive accessories, Average autofocus performance

I waited long enough to take advantage of a full frame sensor and this camera does not disappoint me in regards to excellent image quality and wonderful high ISO performance. I was lucky enough to receive mine in time for vacation a last week and took it along with my 1D MKIII to Hawaii. I shot over 1500 images with this camera and my opinion is that the camera is worth the purchase cost but could be better in a few departments. First, I do not find that the auto focus system even compares to my MKIII in lower light or for that matter in bright sun. One thing that I noticed was that the camera would at times have a difficult time obtaining focus on quite a few landscape shots with lots of sky and ocean in the scene. The MKIII on the other hand would nail focus instantly. Don't get me wrong, I never really expected better focus performance than the MKIII but feel that even my 40D does a better job and locks focus quicker. I mainly use center point only when I am shooting static subjects or landscapes and don't bother with servo mode unless my subject is going to be moving around. I will say when it does lock focus it is on the money however!

Now that I have my negative comments out of the way let my tell you about the more positive side of this camera. The image quality rocks. All of the files from this camera truely impress me beyond belief. Even ISO 3200 shots on the street in the evening come out clean and accurate without the need for noise reduction software. When I first received this camera I took some shots and compared it to my MKIII in regards to colors, contrast, sharpness, and noise. The 5DII files appeared to look better to me straight out of the camera. After using it for two weeks I will admit that I have managed to get my MKIII files to look more closely like the 5DII files by tweaking the settings for saturation and sharpness. I still feel the 5DII files are slightly cleaner than the MKIII files as far as noise is comcerned and much better than my 40D files. Canon also stepped up and added a real LCD that you can actually see outdoors in sunlight compared to the earlier offerings in the past. I can finally check my photos for sharpness, something I could never really do before while in the field. Battery performance seems to be improved however the new battery does not seem to charge as fast as the older BP511's did. I bought a grip and extra battery before I left on vacation however I found that it really was not necessary as far as battery power was concerned. It does however aid in handling since I find putting big glass on anything short of a 1 series body to be unbalanced and uncomfrotable to hold for extended times without the grip. Speaking of grips and batteries. I do feel that the current pricing is a little high for what you are buying but then again that is just my opinion. One thing I would like to see Canon do is redesign the grip so it could be less bulky. I am sure there is a way they could design it so the batteries could load sideways instead of straight in fron the back.

The file size is huge! Even so, I find that file transfer performance from the camera to the computer to be pretty fast. Canon's menu system hasn't really changed from the 40D or MKIII and I am satisfied with the design and function. I find using the menu easy to navigate and control. I have tried the HD video feature of the camera and it is ok but I would not use it over the current HD video camera I currently own. I think it would be handy for a reporter or someone that wants to shoot a quick clip but it's not going to be something you would want to record a family vacation with!

In conclusion, I feel the 5DII is a worthy camera for the cost. Image quality is excellent and that is all that really matters to me. Sure the auto focus system could use some improvement but Canon is going to have to get off of their high horse and for once follow Nikons lead and adopt their pro series auto focus system in their other bodies for us to really see a big improvement, but I really don't see them doing anytime soon.

May 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bbudman to your Buddy List
Beverly Guhl

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: May 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Large LCD with stunning clarity, sharp images, ISO, weight, custom dial, sensor cleaning, wireless remote triggering, etc.
Cons:
Less noise handling improvement and image quality over 5D than I expected; still only 9 point AF; clumsy movie mode, shutter lag.

I must have a great 5D. I say that because I was expecting a *huge* improvement in image quality and noise handling with the MkII. There's a bit of improvement, just not huge--e.g. when I upgraded from an XTi to a 5D I was in awe. I was expecting to be awed. The MkII is slightly better with noise, and the extended ISO range is cool; and it handles color and contrast a tad better. The LCD screen is, for me, worth the upgrade. The clarity is breathtaking. I shoot a lot of headshots and I need to see faces and eyes really clearly, and show them to the client; now it's awesome. (and yes I've tried wirelessly transferring images to a computer as I shoot, that was too slow). The LCD screen shows skin tones more red than they are, so that kinda sucks. I love that it is self-cleaning, and I like the changes in the buttons and a custom menu. I don't have any problem with the CF card door like some have; but my 5D had that issue. A guy at the camera store tightened something inside the door for me and it stopped creaking, so I'm sure the MkII would be an easy fix, too. The movie taking feature is clunky. Even so, it does take impressive movies-- and while I don't need that in a camera, it's kinda cool knowing it's there (a bonus). Overall, like the 5D, a fantastic camera. Gotta love it.

May 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Beverly Guhl to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: May 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,925.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, viewfinder, image quality, small size, LCD screen, almost everything.
Cons:
Tragically old focusing system was a mistake at this price, just not good enough. Hugely expensive batteries. Movie mode, ugh.

Too expensive, but then again what camera isn't (especially in the UK), this is a terrific camera producing simply wonderful files. It's a massive upgrade to the 5D and really shows an extra few years development.

It is badly let down by an average focusing system that can (once again) only truly rely on the centre AF point. Not good enough on a new pro camera. In fact nowhere near good enough.

Also the ghastly movie mode. Why? Don't want it, don't like it, won't ever use it. If I wanted a video camera I'd buy one. Cheapens the whole thing for me. Gimmicky, poorly implemented and incongruous on a pro stills camera.

I can imagine this being the absolute darling of the wedding pro's.

However, all in all a very good camera with one or two limitations. The RAW files are simply as good as or better than my 1Ds3 and that is really saying something.

Canon missed a trick not making this a '3D' with a 45 point AF though. Big error.

May 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
cgi_photo

Registered: Mar 27, 2008
Review Date: May 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: resolution, high ISO performance, colors, size, weight, live view
Cons:
outer AF points

I owned a 10D, 30D, 5D, 40D and still own a 50D besides this 5DmII.

I use it for portraits, stills, available light pictures, macros, long exposures in a studio and outdoor. I use primes only with this camera.
I haven't used the hd video feature yet since I love to take pictures ;-)
Since I like to be in control I use the M mode most of the times, no auto ISO

Close to perfect camera for my needs. I miss better outer AF points (cross types) - other than that it's just fine for me.
I'm impressed with the high ISO performance (color, contrast) for a 21 mp camera.

I recommend the 5D to everyone who doesn't need a speed demon - well spend money :-)

May 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cgi_photo to your Buddy List
Taoguy

Registered: Feb 12, 2006
Review Date: May 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ/Resolution
Cons:
None that concern me.

The IQ compares to the 1DsMKIII at less than half the cost. If I had not had issues w/ the MKIII I would think the combo of these two bodies would cover any situation. However after purchasing the D700 I now am in both camps with what I think is the best combo available today.

Unfortunately a bit expensive for many and it has taken me awhile to acclimate to the difference in controls. Maybe the replacement of the MKIII will straighten out my dilemma of building my lens arsenal on the Nikon side.

Until then I’ll use both systems with the 5DMKII always in the bag and becoming more versatile than many non owners might think.

May 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Taoguy to your Buddy List
Ed Cucci

Registered: Nov 18, 2006
Review Date: May 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It's all been said before, a great picture taking machine.....
Cons:

Jan Bart,

You are the first person (out of literally hundreds of reviewers) either pro or amateur who feels this camera has not improved over it's forebear. "No significant improvements?"

Do you really believe that? Do you even own a camera?

May 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ed Cucci to your Buddy List
nazdravanul

Registered: Jul 1, 2008
Location: Romania
Review Date: May 2, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: I already rated this camera as being superb. Both mine are :). I never thought I would give up my 1d mk3 ....
Cons:
Some, but not critical for me.

I just wanted to point out the possible troll review from Jan Bart. Registered 2nd of May, 0 posts, and he throws in some crappy senseless, unexplained "discovery" regarding the least questionable aspect of the 5d2 : IQ. AF, shutter lag, viewfinder blackout, all the usual suspects would have been a lot easier to digest.

May 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nazdravanul to your Buddy List
Jan Bart

Registered: May 2, 2009
Review Date: May 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: lots of small improvements over the original 5D
Cons:
no improvement over the original 5D when it comes to Image Quality

I ordered the 5Dmk II but sent it back after conducting extensive tests which proved there was no actual improvement in what really matters to me; Image Quality
I don't care for the HD video feature and if I did, I'm sure I wouldn't buy this camera for it.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great camera and if I didn't already own a 5D I would probably not have sent it back. But I was just downright disappointed Canon couldn't do better than this after 4 years.

May 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jan Bart to your Buddy List
kresearch

Registered: Apr 19, 2009
Review Date: Apr 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good IQ, high ISO performance for a 21mp camera,
Cons:
Auto ISO hardly usable, DOF button sticking out too much, easily scratcheable metal finish, no built-in flash, bad AF performance both in low light and AI servo

Just for the record in case marketing mice from Canon make it to read this:

- Auto ISO can be made more intelligent. It frequently chooses lower shutter speed than lens focal length which easily blurs the picture

- Auto ISO can be made adjustable with regards to desired relative shutter speed (w.r.t. lens focal length) and aperture ranges. It's a relatively simple to handle dependency triangle of ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. Several adjustable Auto ISO tendencies, pulling the Auto ISO decision close to one or another of these variables, like better-sharpness/normal/lower-noise may do for me.

- I am surprised I seem to be the first to have an "argument" with the sticking out DOF preview button. It is very natural to trigger while holding the camera and browsing pictures. It turns the LCD off which quickly becomes annoying to the point of frustration

- AF can be better but that's already "spilt milk" unless it can be improved in a firmware upgrade

As usual, well played give & take game by Canon (others too). Never bad but also never perfect.

Apr 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kresearch to your Buddy List
mg98

Registered: Mar 24, 2005
Review Date: Apr 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: auto ISO (can be good for abruptly changing lighting conditions), auto sensor cleaning, the new 1/200 - 1/60 sec auto flash sync speed in Av mode setting, extra 8 megapixels per image (vs 5D) when wanted
Cons:
auto ISO (I've heard people complain about it using 1600 and 3200 in situations where they wouldn't have), no improvement in noise over the 5D at 1600 and 3200 ISO for Raw images (see the link for my test below), shutter seems a little sluggish

I've got a 5D Mark II on loan. I've owned and used the 5D for the last few years. I have to say the first thing that struck me when I got the 5D Mark II was how utterly similar it is to the old 5D. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's a bit underwhelming upon receiving a new $2700 purchase.

Basically, I like the 5D Mark II for the same reasons I like the 5D. It's not too heavy, yields high resolution images, is very responsive with a 580EX II flash attached, and really just does the job. My main use of these cameras is for weddings, portrait sessions, and fine art photography.

Out of curiosity, I compared the 5D and 5D Mark II at the two highest ISOs they share: 1600 and 3200 ISO. I think many in the Canon user community think the 5D Mark II has lower noise at *all* ISOs because it can take photos at 6400-25600 ISO. Well, I did a comparison and found *no significant difference* between the two in image noise at 1600 & 3200 ISO. You can see the actual test I conducted at http://lightmanship.blogspot.com/2009/04/no-difference-between-canon-5d-and.html

Don't get me wrong...it's a fine camera. But you can get a lightly used 5D for around $1300 at eBay. So, unless you need to take lots of photos at 6400-25600 ISO, need 8 more megapixels per image, or really want to take advantage of the new HD video recording capabilities of the Mark II, a used 5D might be a wiser choice!

Apr 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mg98 to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 5D Mark II