Canon EOS 5D Mark II

165 193434 Mar 26, 2014
5DII_1_

• 21.1 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion (16,384 colors/each of 3 primary color), wide range ISO setting of 100-6400 (expandable L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600).
• Automatic peripheral illumination correction.
• Magnesium alloy construction with 'additional' environmental protection
• Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip with HDMI output for HD viewing of stills and video.
• Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing of fine detail and color reproduction as well as reduced image noise.
• High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.
• Live View Function for stills (Quick, Live and Face Detection AF modes) and video.
• 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) monitor with anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings for improved viewing and smudge protection.
• Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System specifically designed to work with a full-frame sensor.
• 9 AF points 6 Assist AF points.
• UDMA memory card compatibility: Maximum 310 large JPEG images in a single burst with a UDMA card.

Thomas Luxeh

Registered: Jun 6, 2008
Review Date: Dec 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 21MP full frame, usable iso 6400, better lcd, live view, video, cost, better battery, weather sealing, the list goes on.
Cons:
3.9fps, 9 af points, large files, cost of good lenses.

I was hesitant to preorder this new camera. Being an owner of the original EOS 5D camera, I wasn't sure if the cost would be worth the update. But now, after owning it and having used some of the new features I would have to say it was well worth the cost. I have no regrets and would absolutely recommend this camera to any landscape, portrait type photographer.

Just for the new lcd alone, its worth it. I was so jealous of my friend's nikon lcd. He could actually tell if his shots were in focus. Any last gen EOS body owner could tell you that those Canon lcds are pretty useless, even the sharpest corners would appear as a blurry mess. Well not anymore, and it's about time.

Live view is a pleasure to use, particularly with macro shots. I can zoom in and manually focus effortlessly on any area that I choose. This is really nice since I like to use my tripod a lot.

The rest is just sugar on top. 21MP, Weather sealing, micro adjustments, sensor dust removal, iso 800 like it was 400 on my 5D, longer lasting battery, nice familiar feel of previous body, and for a price less then its previous model is just outstanding.

Dec 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Thomas Luxeh to your Buddy List
EyeBrock

Registered: Dec 3, 2005
Review Date: Dec 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Too numerous to list, see below.
Cons:
The CF door does not fit properly, minor point really.

I’ve only had the 5D2 for 8 days now but I love it! It’s a quantum leap from the 20D it replaces. My 16-35 II looks spectacular on it and the 24-105 is now on the body it was made for. The lens is great on the 5D2.

Even my 50L seems easier to use. The ‘highlight tone priority’ helps in high contrast situations such as snow (we have rather a lot of snow at the moment in southern Ontario) and there are many other very useful features including the user definable modes and the ‘quick control screen’ is a very good idea.

The video is quite interesting and looks amazing on my plasma TV via a HDMI lead. Don’t use an IS lens though as the mic picks up the IS noise but otherwise it’s very clear on TV playback.
Focussing in video is fine, there is AF it’s just a bit slow so the odd tweak with MF is no biggy. I haven’t tried live-view yet, I’m not sure how useful that will to my shooting style. I like the viewfinder.

I can’t believe how sharp the JPEG’s look on the LCD, chimped all the way in and still sharp, and that’s a small JPEG file as I shoot in RAW. I really am thinking that my 20D was defective!

This camera has blown me away. I don’t know how anybody can give this a ‘5’ unless they have not used it and just hate Canon.
This is a 10.
I’m betting on getting 4-5 years out of this at the very least.

Dec 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EyeBrock to your Buddy List
KKFung

Registered: Dec 19, 2008
Review Date: Dec 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Impressive AE, fast and accurate "old AF system"
Cons:
manual focus on movie taking, especially when shooting naughty kids.

The AE is impressive to me when I compared to my 40D, it is so clever and make me much much easier to take sport photo.

After using the so call old 9 point AF system, the AF also impressive to me when I compared to the 40D's. I tested thousand of photos with my son, who is only 3.5 years old and full of energy, running fast and fuzzy and the shooting distance always close to you (corresponding speed is very fast!), the success rate is higher than the 40D even though the 5DII only have 3.9fps vs 40D's 6.3fps. Included the usable high ISO, it is a very fast camera!

Training on the manual focus when movie taking is necessary especially tracing moving subject

My copy doesn't have black dot or banding issue, hope Canon can clarify and fix it ASAP.

Donno how Mr Comair CRJ made his comment, perhaps I'm too old or Canon engineer always drunk during the development :-)

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KKFung to your Buddy List
geoffsm

Registered: Aug 7, 2006
Review Date: Dec 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Increased resolution for cropping and enlargement (vs. original 5D), Live View for critical focusing when on a tripod, overall image quality, high ISO performance, menu system/navigation, dedicated AF-On button, easy to adapt older (and cheap) manual focus lenses, movie mode with full 1080p quality and shallow focus.
Cons:
Resolution increase perhaps not quite as dramatic as one would hope (adds up to only about a 30% increase), high ISO modes above 6400 practically useless unless needed for straight documentation purposes, some older (3rd party brand) manual focus lenses will hit the mirror (just like orig. 5D -- i.e. no improvement in this area).

I've been using the 5D as my main digital camera for about 2.5 years. I have regularly told people that it it the best camera I'd ever owned in any format, film or digital. The 5D Mk II is better in every way and costs less than I paid for the original 5D. The Live View implementation on this camera is awesome. It's almost like working with a view camera (w/o movements). I'm mainly a fine art photographer, but sometimes do editorial work. I would use this camera for almost any assignment without hesitation.

The 5D II produces files that mix in well at large sizes with work I've shot on medium and large format film (6x7 and 4x5 respectively). Files from the original 5D, cropped to 4x5/8x10 aspect ratio, could go to 16x20 with acceptable results (for me). Files from the 5D Mark II seem to be able to go to 20x24 or even 24x30 in some cases (assuming one exposes carefully, on a tripod with mirror lockup, using a remote release, low ISO, etc.). Just amazing results, astonishing really. With the lenses I own, L zooms and non-L primes (plus some old Pentax manual focus lenses I'm using with an adpater), I don't think it will get much better than this with a 35mm chip (i.e., the next generation will be like 50D vs. 40D on crop sensors).

The 5D II gets my highest recommendation for a 35mm form factor camera, almost regardless of format. Very competitive with files from medium format digital systems at comparable megapixel counts. Not much else to say. I feel like someone made a camera especially for me. Canon, I could kiss you!

Dec 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add geoffsm to your Buddy List
Ed Cucci

Registered: Nov 18, 2006
Review Date: Dec 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Full frame, big pixel count
Cons:
AF of yesteryear

Actually I was wondering about Mr Comair CRJ review. He is the only reviewer who has called this camera a piece of junk (5 rating). I have read nothing but positive things from both owners and pro reviewers about the Mk2 (I have seen at least 50 reviews).

Mr Comair, how long have you owned your 5D Mk2?

Based on you comments, have you retuned it yet?

Best,

Ed

I don't own this camera (yet) which is why I have not rated it.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ed Cucci to your Buddy List
dvarnav

Registered: Jul 20, 2006
Location: Greece
Review Date: Dec 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great ISO performer,FullHD video recording,Very Accurate and quite Fast AF, Best IQ, Auto White balance that is usefull.
Cons:
Nothing so annoying is LCD response speed which is a little bit slow

I think its the best companion to my perfect AF working 1DMkIII and I have to admit a few things
1) 5DmkII AF has nothing to do with my old 20D that was about the same with 5D 1st edition. Its more accurate easily manageble and workable for static and moving subjects. I have made some tests to see that on moving subjects.
2) Iso I have nothing to say about that its just the camera I needed it and its really so good. Even in 12500 it seems quite usable.
3)Flash Utilisation and Match is perfect (used 580 EX)
4)the feel of the camera is very good better than a XXD series and so close to MarkIII except from the weight and the grip which is best for markIII
5)I did like the new Lifeview version which has very usefull fascilities
6)HD video recording with stereo Audio at 44.1Khz 16bit. Well I have to admit that I did not waited to be so good. Using my 24-70 2.8L the QoV was so good that I am ready to go out to take some very good video clips of the massive attack of the Police to students here in Greece (but on second thought this is a cleary MarkIII job maybe I will try it and I will inform for the HD video). Also it was a surpise to me the Audio quality that was definately very good.
7)LCD was that it supposed to be for a long time. I did n't like the speed of response of the screen and also the zoom in response at full resolusion.

Overall its a great camera that its a big 5D upgrade

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dvarnav to your Buddy List
ComairCRJ700

Registered: Mar 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 18, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Full Frame, Larger Viewfinder, Control Layout, 3" Screen.
Cons:
Kit lens is garbage, Noisy RAW files out of camera, 21 MP is overkill, AF is outdated, overpriced.

Definitely overrated. The hype of enhanced low light performance, while there, is not the the end-all people make it out to be. To achieve true low noise performance requires the DPP software reductions that destroy, and I mean destroy, image sharpness and detail. The rest of it is standard Canon fare, clunky interface, parts that work sporadically, and a sub-standard AF system. All-in-all a pricey toy that once again proves it is the photographer that makes beautiful images, not the gear. As a lifelong Canon photographer I have tried to justify the excitement and hoop-lah surrounding the camera but it is just not there.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ComairCRJ700 to your Buddy List
Conrad Tan

Registered: Dec 8, 2007
Review Date: Dec 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good build quality, big LCD screen, bright viewfinder, terrific HD video and very decent Auto ISO performance.
Cons:
I do not recommend anthing higher than 6400ISO. It is pretty noisy after that. For those with big hands I recommend the grip if you don't mind the weight.

Sell your old camera. Get this one! You'll never need another.

Dec 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Conrad Tan to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Dec 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great images at 100iso. Seemingly better AF, not totally sold on this yet but I seem to be able to get more in focus images and slightly faster AF using center point.
Cons:
A big file for PP work. No real improvements other than the ISO seems about 1.5 stops better than my MK1.

Better than I expected so far (only been here a few days). I think the Auto ISO is crippled compared to my Nikon counterpart (D700), but it is workable.

I like the ability to crop a vertical image from a horizontal one and still have a 9+/- mp image. Handy now ant then. I don't like having to process the file size so much, esp. the DL times (usb 2.0).

The video feature will be fun to play with. I had tried the D90 for that reason too, but it lacks the AF needed as a still camera IMO.

Dec 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
rossmurphy

Registered: May 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build (better than the Mk I) sealed, LCD,Menu,resolution,high iso.
Cons:
Zero

Well worth the upgrade from the Mk I, the resolution is fantastic, I have no black dots like some have reported or any other issues, my 5D1 will be for sale very soon. I look forward to taking this camera on a real Landscape shoot, maybe in the next few weeks, so far have just done some local city and landscape work, the prints on my large format printer look great, 16 x 24's are easy to print. This will be my bread and butter camera for a while to come.

Ross Murphy

Dec 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rossmurphy to your Buddy List
dolina

Registered: Nov 4, 2008
Review Date: Dec 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Improves upon the classic 5D. Higher & cleaner ISO. VGA-resolution 3-inch LCD. Live View, Excellent Build quality, Higher MP, Sensor Cleaning, Fast Startup
Cons:
Price as I know dealers get the body for under $2250. Delayed RAW support from Apple. AF points in the viewfinder causes a weird flair that I've never experienced in any EOS body I've owned. New battery but is understandable for the features you want to have. Shutter sounds like it is about to die

Dec 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dolina to your Buddy List
kevin2i

Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Review Date: Dec 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Improves on the 5d. Better Usability, Better Image Quality. Live view. Better High ISO performance. Direct print button now useful. More value than the original 5d.
Cons:
Black dots appear in overexposed point highlights. (Canon will address this soon). Front and rear dial not programmable. No manual exposure control in video. Battery $99. (5d batteries/grips not compatible). AF points clustered, outboard points not 2.8 sensitive. (same as 5d).

The little improvements make this a big improvement over the 5d - both in image quality and ergonomics. Canon did some homework - the increase to 21MP and Video mode get the headlines, but it is the other stuff I think that make this a winner.

The new 3" LCD, quick menu (accessible from the LCD screen), dedicated AF button, 3 custom registers, Live view, Image quality, a/f adjustments, programmable menu, dust clean, better viewfinder, af-on button, weather sealing, etc . . . make a big difference. (Although I have not had the camera long enough to see if sensor cleaning works).

Live view is a major feature for tripod shooting. The 10x mode really nails critical focus, and focus can be checked anywhere on the screen. Remote shooting with live view is worth checking out and great for studio still life work or lens testing.

Without rigorous testing, the 5dII seems to focus better in low light. Using a 85L in situations the 5d hunted - the 5dII got it right. A quick test with other lenses confirm the 5dII will focus when the 5d cannot.

IQ at the pixel level compares to the 5d - BUT 21MP is more demanding on lens quality and shooting technique if you are going to compare 100% crops between the two cameras. (But that is like comparing a 16x20 and 12x18 from different cameras)

The new batteries are advertised at 30% more capacity -- but have a 100% price increase. My 5d grip and battery spares will cost 500 to replace for the 5dII.

Wireless grip WFT-E4A looks useful - not sure how the $950 price is justified considering wi-fi SD cards are less than $100. I have given it a 9 on price due to cost increase of accessories.

Auto-ISO is a new feature - but not available in M mode - and that is when I would want it most (To lock down aperture and shutter speed and have the camera select ISO).

AND for the bad news - the dreaded black dots. I've posted a half-dozen sample shots and hundreds are available on the forums.

I was quoted on C-net and other sights with solving the problem - but turning HTP off seems to help in only some circumstances. Shooting at ISO 50 for night shots shows the biggest improvement - hopefully Canon will provide a solution soon.

My usability complaint is the front and back dials are not programmable. I switch between Av and Manual, and the shutter/aperture controls switch.
Kevin.

Dec 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kevin2i to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Dec 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build quality, Good LCD Screen, Big and bright viewfinder, HD Video, Decent high ISO performance.
Cons:
Viewfinder info can be hard to read if you wear glasses, Low light AF performance, Lack of a built in flash, Having to select Bulb mode to shoot exposures longer then 30 secs.

The build quality is good, The camera feels solid, And the camera is also a good size.

The AF Performance is decent in normal conditions, But the camera tends to hunt in low light.

The viewfinder is big and bright, However, If you wear glasses, Reading the viewfinder information can be difficult, And you should look at getting the EP-EX15 Eyepiece extender.

I'm not a fan of the Bulb mode where the user is limited to a maximum of a 30 second exposure, And you have to select the B Bulb mode if you want to do longer then 30 second exposures.

High ISO Performance under controlled conditions is good up to ISO 12800, But in normal shooting conditions, ISO 6400 would probably be the limit without strong noise reduction. ISO Performance at ISO 3200 is good though, And very usable!

Video mode is ok, But it has limited user input, And the built in Microphone picks up all noise, Including the AF and IS sound, So A External microphone would be recommended if you plan on doing any serious video work.

Picture quality is good, Even right out of the camera, With good dynamic range and colours, Even at the default settings.

Overall the 5DMkII has been a nice upgrade from my 40D And the 50D I had, And I can recommend it if your looking at moving up to fullframe.

Dec 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List
Beeg

Registered: Nov 23, 2008

Pros: Amazing sensor, great new DIGIC4 processor, compact design, light body, low light performance, 1080P video, superb LCD screen, live view.
Cons:
on-board microphone

Lives up to the hype, not much else to say that other reviews haven't already. kit lens is pretty awesome for the price, it would be perfect if it had a wider aperture. The IS seems a bit sluggish, but I think I just need more time with it. I'll likely swap it for the 24mm f/1.4L II when they release it.

The on-board mic is kind of useless. It picks up every little bit of noise from the body. If you want audio, you'll need an external mic jacked in.

Dec 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Beeg to your Buddy List
Sean Mills

Registered: Jun 29, 2007
Review Date: Dec 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: File quality, resolution, build. New high res LCD, live view implementation, lens micro adjust.
Cons:
For the price to to quality ratio? Nothing.

If you own, or have shot with a 1 series camera, the first thing you will notice is that.... it isn't a 1 series.
This is the only place I can fault the cam. I long for the heaftier build, balance, and AF of the 1ds3, and really nothing more....

The AF on the center point is great, the outer points struggle with vertical contrast... but otherwise work great. This is all hand down from the original 5D so no surprises. The micro adjust was plenty to get my 50L to nail focus.

The live view implementation, and high res LCD is fantastic for manual focus work on a tripod.

All around it's a great body and the files are out of this world. ISO 100 - 3200 are incredible, and even 6400 is fully usable.
You really can't go wrong with this camera unless you shoot fast moving sports. Every bit as good, and arguably better than a 1ds3... but certainly don't expect the body, handling, or AF of a 1.

Dec 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sean Mills to your Buddy List
Pen6uiN

Registered: Nov 12, 2007
Review Date: Dec 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: ISO4000 is use-able. I use 16-35L II @ 16mm @ night with f/7.1 and get 1/15secs without shake
Cons:
Still only 9 AF points

absolutely amazing camera
highly recommended for anyone looking for a full frame camera

Dec 3, 2008