Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

108 154285 May 7, 2014
8.7
sigma50-14jpg

Standard lens with large maximum aperture of F1.4.
It creates sharp images with high contrast and ensures superior peripheral brightness.
Incorporates molded glass aspherical lens, perfectly correcting coma aberration and creating superior image quality.
Super multi-layer lens coating reduces flare and ghosting.
Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensuring silent, high-speed AF.

Lens Construction 8 Elements in 6 Groups
Angle of View 46.8 degrees
Number of Diaphragm Blades 9 Blades
Minimum Aperture F16
Minimum Focusing Distance 45cm/17.7 in.
Maximum Magnification 1:7.4
Filter Size Diameter 77mm/3 in.
Dimensions Diameter 84.5mm X Length 68.2mm
3.3 in. X 2.7 in.
Weight 505g/17.8 oz

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

Dumbblond

Registered: Feb 29, 2008
Review Date: Feb 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $445.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: This lense gives that wonderful buttery appearance to my subject but with sharp focus points. The bokeh is magnificent and I find the auto focus is fast. I love the 4 year warranty from Sigma, the case it comes with and hood. I find the 77mm filter size great because it matches my L series lenses. That too is a plus for me. One of my favorite lenses!
Cons:
Price compared with Canon. But I got everything I paid for .

Feb 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dumbblond to your Buddy List
whitetail

Registered: May 21, 2008
Review Date: Feb 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $449.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness. contrast, low light performance, AF, build, warranty!
Cons:
some CA wider open, price

I loved this lens the minute I pulled it out of the box. It is sharp, the bokeh is creamy, and it performs well under low light. I upgraded to this from the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, and I'll admit there's leaps and bounds in difference. I haven't had any issues with it at all, though I wish there was less CA. However, my Canon 50 was a lot worse, so I'm fine with it. This locks right on target, even in the dark. I am just shocked with its brilliance. I considered getting the Canon 50mm f/1.4, but after trying it...this blows Canon's 50s out of the water. I'll wager it gives the 50 L a run for it's money. This came brand new with a 4 year warranty from Sigma, case, and hood. I think it's a better deal overall.

I was a little appalled at the price compared to other 50s. But for me, it was worth every penny.

Feb 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add whitetail to your Buddy List
U.C.

Registered: May 25, 2008
Review Date: Feb 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $480.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, focus speed and accuracy. Build quality.
Cons:
A bit heavy and pricey for a 50mm prime. 77mm filters aren't cheap also.

I have this lens for 6 weeks now and it's a great lens. The bokeh is beautiful and colours are very nice. It's sharp and focussing is fast and accurate, even at f/1.4 . I've tested it in the shop against the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8, but the output of the Sigma was nicer than the Canons (the bokeh was far nicer than the f/1.8). Build quality is als superior to the canon f/1.4 . Ok, its heavier and pricier, but it's an excellent choice if you could spend 350-400 euro's.

Feb 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add U.C. to your Buddy List
Vernon Sampson

Registered: Apr 28, 2007
Review Date: Jan 31, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build is solid. Nice balance on my cameras. Very sharp. Focus is fast. Handles flaring better than Canon 50 1.4; Center resolution is not far from Canon 50mm 1.2; You get the hood & a nice padded case too.
Cons:
None what so ever.

Jan 31, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vernon Sampson to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Jan 30, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $620.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build, great portrait shots, quality pictures.
Cons:
A little pricy.

I was considering the Canon 50 f1.4 but prefered the build quality of the Sigma to the Canon. This is my first non-Canon lens. Have had some great shots with this lens.

Jan 30, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doug Vann to your Buddy List
Photonic

Registered: Apr 24, 2003
Review Date: Jan 23, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $429.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Very nice bokeh
Cons:
Not as sharp as I had expected

I will admit I had rather high expectations of this lens after reading many glowing reviews. I currently own a Canon 50mm 1.4 and was expecting the Sigma to provide slightly improved sharpness, better bokeh, and quiet/fast autofocusing.

After a week with the lens on both a 50D and 5DM2 I have elected to return it.

As far as bokeh and the HSM focus go I was very happy. Bokeh in particular is quite pleasing to my eye compared to the Canon. The HSM is both quick and very quite (I am distinctly bothered by the Canon motor noise).

As far as sharpness goes, however, I found the Canon to be better. I tested on the 5DM2 using LV and 10x mag (pure test of optics taking autofocus accuracy out of the equation) and found the Canon to have better resolution and contrast. I also noticed that the focal length on the Sigma was noticeably shorter.

I own a Sigma 150mm macro which is so sharp it is scary. I have a 120-300/2.8 that is every bit as good as the Canon 300/2.8 IS it replaced and I also have the 300-800mm which is a fantastic lens. I was totally prepared to fall in love with the 50mm Sigma, but it did not stand up to my Canon which is less expensive and less bulky.

Perhaps this was a less than stellar copy, but I don't have the time or patience to do Sigma's quality control for them.

Jan 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Photonic to your Buddy List
johansec

Registered: Feb 12, 2005
Review Date: Jan 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $440.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well built, sharp, fast focus, great bokeh and color
Cons:
A bit pricey for 50mm 1.4

I have had this lens for several weeks now. I have used it at a wedding (as the wedding photographer), at a model studio shoot and at a couple of events. It is very solid and well constructed. It is sharp at 1.4 and the color and bokeh are very good. I have not seen any problems with CA or fringing so far. The focus seems fast and right on. I have not experienced any problems with front or back focusing with my copy although the very narrow dof at 1.4 does take some getting used to. Maybe it is the fascination of a new toy, but I can't get enough of this lens and it is destined to become a favorite and I can seeing myself reaching for this lens over my 24-70 2.8L when the 50mm focal range will do. If you get a good copy, I highly recommend it.

Jan 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add johansec to your Buddy List
mmorozov

Registered: Jan 13, 2009
Review Date: Jan 13, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Good build
Cons:
Focusing problems, fringing

I have a long history shooting with Canon EF 50 F1.4. I mostly use it for concerts, when I am close to the stage. When I purchased Sigma I was looking for better focus accuracy and better sharpness/contrast wide-open (as per glamorous review on DPReview).

The copy that I bought was back-focusing heavily. I had to set micro-adjustment value to +12, but I still wasn't quite pleased with the result. So I sent the lens to Sigma and they calibrated it. The focus problem is gone, but other problems remain:

1. My Canon 50mm has better sharpness in the center (I don't care about corner sharpness - it is bokeh most of the time)

2. There is no advantage in focus accuracy. Both lens miss focus at the same rate. I would actually say that Canon performed marginally better. I get more keepers with Canon.

3. Bokeh is better than Canon's, but the green-purple fringing in out-of-focus area is really evident and looks quite ugly to me. The pictures have this purple haze in the bokeh which changes the tone of the whole photo. I don't like it at all.

In essence, the increase in size and weight is not justified by any performance improvement. The lens has a distinct character that I don't like. The lens may look good on the charts and test patterns, but in real life it is rather disappointing.

I took some test pictures of the same subjects with both Canon and Sigma, changing them randomly. After that I looked at all pictures without knowing which one was taken with which lens. In this "blind" test, both me and my friend would choose Canon over Sigma every single time. There is simply no edge in Sigma whatsoever even after calibration.

It goes on Craigslist tonight.

Jan 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mmorozov to your Buddy List
Matt Kerby

Registered: Jun 9, 2007
Review Date: Jan 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fairly sharp wide open, CA is light compared to other 50's, Build is nice. Af is consistant, bokeh is out of this world
Cons:
Mine front focuses, but with a microadjustment of +10 on my 5Dmk2 it's perfect so no worries.

So far the best 50mm AF lens for Canon I've found. I find the AF more consistant than the L and the EF 50/1.4.
It is pretty sharp wide open...or sharp enough, about the same as my EF50/1.4 which was pretty good.
The AF isn't super fast but not too slow either, tracks my kids running around just fine.
What I love about it is the color, contrast and bokeh, very nice, very L like. I've had it a little over a week and have left it on my 5D2 where it will be my main walkaround.
If you have microadjust on your body, by all means get this rather than the L or EF 1.4.
I rated this a solid 10, because it's the best 50 I've used so far and 1/3 the price of the L

Jan 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matt Kerby to your Buddy List
kimlwx

Registered: Nov 10, 2005
Review Date: Jan 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Exceptional bokeh, build quality, IQ, silent AF
Cons:
Front focus at close focus

I bought this lens to replace the Canon 50/1.8 on my Canon 5D (mk. I).

First off, the build quality strikes me in being superior to my other Sigma EXs (24-70/2.8 + 70-200/2.8) which are also very good. This one stands out, though.

Being (a lot) heavier than the Canon 1.8 is really not a problem for me. Quite contrary, actually. The increased mass make the camera a lot more balanced.

The autofocus is silent and pretty fast, although (my copy, at least) sometime front focusses a bit when focusing around the near-focus limit.

Image quality - sharpness, color, and contrast - is excellent starting already at F/1.4.

The bokeh is out of this world; creamy and very, very smooth. Some may think it's "over the top", but I simply love the look of it.

Highly recommended piece of glass!

Jan 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kimlwx to your Buddy List
Greg Feldman

Registered: Mar 14, 2005
Review Date: Jan 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $440.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Background blur, build quality, sharpness
Cons:
Size, vignetting at f/1.4

My Canon 50mm f/1.8 is a very good lens--as long as you stop it down to f/2.8. So I decided to try the Sigmalux. (Yes, you may use that nickname. Smile

Background blur is simply astonishing. The only complaint I've heard about it is that it might be too smooth. It's most similar to that of my 135L, but I think it's noticeably better.

Wide open:

I haven't had any issues with the AF--certainly not any more than I have with all AF lenses--but I've really used it only for closeups from f/1.4 to f/2.0, all on a 1.3x body.

It does vignette pretty heavily at f/1.4, but it's not really a problem.

If it were the size and weight of a normal 50mm lens, it would be just about perfect.

Jan 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Greg Feldman to your Buddy List
hhski

Registered: Oct 26, 2006
Review Date: Jan 3, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $449.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Beautiful bokeh,color, contrast. AF consistancy seemed good.
Cons:
Noisy AF, objucts on right side of image OOF.

It felt great on my 5d2. The color contrast on my test images were great. My candid shots were great. It was the portraits when I stopped down to f5.6 where I noticed the problems with focus on the right side.I am returning this and buying the L. The hell with the extra cash.

Jan 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hhski to your Buddy List
c00kiem0nster

Registered: Feb 13, 2008
Review Date: Jan 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: wonderfully sharp wide open, fast and reliable focus, excellent built quality, very controlled CAs
Cons:
none so far

i just received this lens as a christmas present and i have so far taken about 700 shots with it.
i am pretty much overwhelmed with the results. first of all i have not tried any other 50mm prime thus far so i cannot compare the results i've gotten.
but i am very satisfied. the wide open performance which kind of triggered my decision to go for this lens is excellent. very sharp, hardly any CAs (and if there are any, they can easily be corrected) and beautiful color rendering.
this lens has pretty much exceeded my exspectations.
i was a little worried when i put it on my wish list, given the focus issues some people seem to have with their lenses.
i do not think i have any focus problems. i did get some out of focus shots with this lens, but as most of my shots are very much in focus, i am pretty sure that they are just a result of me being not at all well versed in using a lens that fast.
and as i took more and more shots, the OOF problems practically vanished.

Jan 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add c00kiem0nster to your Buddy List
markgsfca

Registered: Apr 2, 2005
Review Date: Dec 30, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $446.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Nicely constructed - feels expensive and looks the part. Sharper than Canon 50mm F1.4, but only slightly.
Cons:
The worst CA I've ever seen. Thick green fringing around objects at F1.4 - F2.8. Not even close to my Canon 50mm F1.4 in this department.

To be honest I really wanted this lens to work for me. I shoot a lot at 50mm on my Canon 50D, and really was looking forward to sharper F1.4-F2.0 performance with the Sigma. Well.... what a disappointment. After all the good reviews here and at dpreview.com, I had high expectations. Compared to my Canon 50mm F1.4 it was slightly sharper under F2.0, but the green fringing, with occasional red fringing on some objects was unacceptable. Now I know most of you would say, oh just send it back for another one, but I'm sorry - that's not acceptable to me in this class of product. Back to the vendor it goes tomorrow.

Dec 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add markgsfca to your Buddy List
Sayeret18

Registered: Apr 1, 2005
Review Date: Dec 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding color, clarity, and bokeh. Mine focuses fine - a bit slower than the Canon 50 1.4, perhaps - but fine nonetheless. This lens appears to be very well made.
Cons:
Relatively large and expensive. The Canon 50 1.4 is more compact and more reasonably priced.

The Canon 50 f1.4 is a fine lens, IMO. It is compact, well-made, sharp, and my copy snaps into focus, even at f1.4. The Sigma is larger and at least 25% more expensive, possibly better constructed, at least as sharp, and my copy focused very well. Both render colors very well. However, the Sigma's bokeh is head and shoulders above the Canon. You can't go wrong with either lens, IMO, but the Sigma seems to be something special.

Dec 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sayeret18 to your Buddy List
Larry Carter

Registered: Jan 7, 2002
Location: Georgia
Review Date: Dec 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very impressive lens. Better than my Canon 50 1.4 in build and optically pleasing and sharp. It is bigger than a normal 50 but I like it this way for a better feel. It's becoming one of my favorites and I can't seem to find any negatives.
Cons:
Pricey but worth it. I had to give it an 8 on price but you pay for what you get.

Dec 21, 2008