Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

108 154264 May 7, 2014
8.7
sigma50-14jpg

Standard lens with large maximum aperture of F1.4.
It creates sharp images with high contrast and ensures superior peripheral brightness.
Incorporates molded glass aspherical lens, perfectly correcting coma aberration and creating superior image quality.
Super multi-layer lens coating reduces flare and ghosting.
Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensuring silent, high-speed AF.

Lens Construction 8 Elements in 6 Groups
Angle of View 46.8 degrees
Number of Diaphragm Blades 9 Blades
Minimum Aperture F16
Minimum Focusing Distance 45cm/17.7 in.
Maximum Magnification 1:7.4
Filter Size Diameter 77mm/3 in.
Dimensions Diameter 84.5mm X Length 68.2mm
3.3 in. X 2.7 in.
Weight 505g/17.8 oz

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

edge100

Registered: Oct 5, 2007
Review Date: Jun 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: - fairly sharp at f/1.4 and very sharp at f/2.0, stunning bokeh, great build quality
Cons:
- a bit slower AF than many primes

I had been trying to choose between the Canon 50 f/1.4 and this lens for some time (as many are, I'm sure), but after hearing so many stories about sketchy AF accuracy on the Sigma, I decided to hold off.

After hearing that a fellow FM'er had a sharp copy that he had returned to a local store (to fund the purchase of a 50 f/1.2L), I ran right over to the store to pick it up.

Well, let me tell you this lens is fantastic. It has lived on my 1DmkII for the last few weeks. AF accuracy is terrific; no front/back-focus issues at all. AF performance is a bit slower than many L primes, but is certainly as good or better than the 50 f/1.4 and MUCH better than the 50 f/1.8.

The reason people buy this lens is the bokeh, and I can confirm that the bokeh on my copy is stellar; to date, the best bokeh I've seen is the 85 f/1.2L, but this one is a close second. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but if you like buttery/smeary bokeh, you'll love this lens.

Build quality is much better than the Canon 50 f/1.4. The Sigma is fairly sharp at f/1.4 and very sharp at f/2.0, which is where it lives most of the time on my camera.

If you can find a copy with no AF issues, this lens is definitely worth the premium over the Canon.

Jun 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add edge100 to your Buddy List
cmaeda

Registered: Dec 1, 2009
Review Date: Jun 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp wide open. Bokeh, color and build are all great. Comes with case and hood too.
Cons:
I don't like the finish on it, and the lens hood is not built as well as the Canon hoods. The Canon hoods are thicker, with felt lining inside.

This is a great lens. Initially, I was worried about Sigma's reputation for poor QC. I don't normally test my lenses, but this time, I decided to print out some test charts to make sure the focus was ok. I had to MA +16, but after that, everything was spot on.

The image quality is just incredible. Paired with my 5DII, the low light abilities are just awesome!

I had considered the Canon 50 1.2L, but read some reports about focusing issues here too. I figured for that price, it should be perfect, and I would rather take a risk with a $500 Sigma.

I had also tried out the Canon 50 1.4, but was left unimpressed. It was much softer wide open and had a reputation for AF failures.

Jun 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cmaeda to your Buddy List
JR Magat

Registered: May 17, 2010
Review Date: Jun 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $404.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bought brand new, and have not had issues with focus (lucky i guess!). This lens is very sharp and the bokeh produced is amazing! Definitely a good lens if you get a good copy; it's fast, sharp, good build and IMO better than the Nikon versions at 50mm 1.4. With that said... this is overall my favorite lens!
Cons:
Price, it is more expensive than the Nikon versions ($499 retail), and inconsistent quality (from previous reviews)

Jun 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JR Magat to your Buddy List
warszawarowero

Registered: Jun 1, 2010
Location: Poland
Review Date: Jun 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: love this lens, fast, great images on both 5d & 5d Mk2 i start my new project only with this lens http://www.flickr.com/photos/warszawarowerowa/ most of them on f/1.4 sharp with nice bokeh
Cons:
sometimes little FF when shooting at very short distance on f/1.4 but it's not pboblem fom me

Jun 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add warszawarowero to your Buddy List
LeoJan

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: May 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from F1.4, fast, nice rich color, nice bokeh. Little vignet on FF. Cheap.
Cons:
A little big in comparison with the Canon f1.4

I love this lens! I would not dream to trade it in for the Canon F1.2. 4 times more expensive. No CA, no autofocus problems. It is a normal priced lens with all the goodies you can dream off. It is nice that Sigma comes with such a killer.

May 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LeoJan to your Buddy List
robogobo

Registered: Apr 20, 2008
Review Date: May 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Really really sharp in the center wide open (way better than the Canon 1.4), still sharp in the corners (about the same as the Canon 1.4). Good build quality. Fast focusing. Little vignetting.
Cons:
Not as sharp stopped down vs Canon. Little CA esp in the corners.

I had a Canon 50 1.4 and was very impressed. Then I read the reviews of the Sigma, so I had to try it out. paid about $500 in Switzerland, about $80 more than the Canon. Considering this lens' primary purpose for me is shooting low light wide open, it excels in every way vs the Canon. Focus is faster, missed focus about the same frequency, DoF is razor thin (which has its own pros and cons I suppose), and it feels much more solidly built. I don't mind the heft/weight, in fact I like it.

Overall definitely worth the difference in price. Sigma did a good job here. For its purpose, a solid 9/10. Canon needs to follow.

May 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add robogobo to your Buddy List
Berschwinger

Registered: Apr 8, 2010
Review Date: Apr 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $660.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focusing, sharp, creamy bokeh.
Cons:
77mm diameter lens + hood much bigger than competition

Purchased new for 440 in EU. This is the fastest focusing lens in my bag. Bokeh is gorgeous, and focus is spot on. The focus is a bit "jumpy" I'd say when tracking a focus point. Never have a complain when I reach for it. Shoot it wide open and never look back.

Apr 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Berschwinger to your Buddy List
trillium

Registered: Sep 1, 2004
Review Date: Apr 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, durability, focus, included hood
Cons:
Weight, Price, Not a great landscape lens

I was a bit worried about purchasing this lens because of the focus issues that are detailed on FM and various reviews.

My copy focuses well close up and at a range up to 20ft away. I use it mostly for portraits so I wouldn't use it much outside this range. I'm using the lens on a 5d, so I have no micro focus capability.

I think many (but not all) of the focus issues are with people trying to use the lens at f1.4 beyond 10ft. DOF is razor thin at f1.4.

Clarity, contrast and color from this lens are amazing. The bokah is creamy and smooth. This lens is sharper at f1.4 than my Canon 24-70L at f2.8.

I also tested the lens against the Canon 1.8 50mm. The results of that test... The Canon 1.8 is a great little lens for $100.00. At f1.8 the Canon was nearly as sharp as the Sigma at the center of the image. The Sigma was sharper nearer the edges of the frame. And of course the Sigma Bokah was much nicer than the fantastic plastic.

I would highly recommend this lens for someones main prime lens on a full frame camera. I would just be sure to do a lot of testing in the 15 day return period that most vendors allow, to make sure you have a keeper.

Apr 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trillium to your Buddy List
Marc de Wit

Registered: Apr 3, 2010
Review Date: Apr 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Usable wide open , bokeh , build , very good focussing in low-light
Cons:
AF could be more consistant

Much better at 1.4 - 2.0 compared to Canon
Beautiful bokeh
This lens however will almost certainly have frontfocus , like almost of the Sigma's
Highly recommended but only when your cam has micro AF adjustement.

Apr 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Marc de Wit to your Buddy List
MichaD

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Apr 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp wide open. Smoooooth bokeh. Low vignetting.
Cons:
Not as sharp as other 50s stopped down to f/4 or further. Not great at min-focus. A bit bulky.

Currently the best 50/1.4 if you want to shoot wide open. Less impressive for stopped down work.

Apr 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MichaD to your Buddy List
BrentM

Registered: Jul 19, 2009
Review Date: Mar 18, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: $450.00

Pros: Solid Build, Very Good Image Quality
Cons:
Used to L lenses and this lense certainly doesn't focus quickly when compared to them....not nearly as expensive though.

Ok, I've had a lot of time to play with the lens now and it works very well for the money. I found my copy on craigs list and focus was right on, though slow when compared to my L glass, but it was significantly less money.

For the money, this is a great lens and I've been able to get some really fantastic shots out of it.

Mar 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BrentM to your Buddy List
canonfan93

Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Review Date: Feb 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, color reproduction, image sharpness, and mechanical built.
Cons:
None especially for the price.

I have had this lens for about a month, took several landscape and portrait photos with this lens on my Canon 5D mkI, and have found no focusing issue with this Sigma copy. I am glad I made this purchase. This 50mm will be especially handy as a general purpose lens when I do not feel like lugging around a relatively heavier or bulkier L prime.

Feb 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canonfan93 to your Buddy List
AaronNegro

Registered: Apr 7, 2008
Review Date: Jan 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build is good, comes with a proper hood, 77 mm filter so I can share filters from other lens, great bokeh when stopped down to f1.8, plenty of sharpness, good and silent AF, it balances pretty well on my 5D
Cons:
Only up to f16, Sigma finishing gets scratches way to easy.

I have this lens for a week and I have taken around 1000 pictures with it, I was hesitating to buy this lens because of the AF feedback from the net but I'm very happy I followed my instinct.

It focusses well on my 5D "classic" and it really shines from f1.8 to f2.8, producing the nicest bokeh I ever seen in a 50 mm so far. It is creamy and so appealing for portraits that I could not let it go without trying.

Build:

*It is bigger and heavier than all the 50 mm but the Canon L. It feels solid and balances well on my 5D.
*Somehow I strat disliking the finishing of the Sigma lens as it gets marked way easy.
*The hood is a well engineered one, it does what it is supposed to do and it does it well.

Image quality:

*Very good wide open and much better once going to 1.8 upwards to 2.8 and 4.0, from then on I think the Canon 1.4 seems a bit sharper IMO
*Bokeh is what makes this lens stand on its own from the crowd, enough said by saying it is fantastic.

*Contrast and rendering is very good but there is that little yellow Sigma signature that some people like and some not, I'm in the "not" side but it is so easy to remove that I do not mind.

AF:

I see no problem with my copy, I was going to the local dealer to cherry pick a good one but the first one I took was good out of the box.

It is silent and quick and as accurate as I need it to be in dark environment.

Overall:

If it was not for two very little things like the fact that it only goes up to f16 and the Sigma finishing I would give it a 10.

Sample picture

Jan 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AaronNegro to your Buddy List
AwesomelyBad

Registered: Jan 24, 2010
Review Date: Jan 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing bokeh, sharp at wide apertures, great contrast and colors, fast focus even in low light
Cons:
Heavy, distortions in the corners on full frame body, pricey

This was the first lens I bought after getting my first DSLR. I looked at this, the Canon 50mm f/1.8, and the Canon f/1.4. While this lens costs $100 more than the Canon f/1.4 and more than twice as much as the f/1.8, I couldn't help but fall in love with the heft and solid feel of the Sigma lens. The image quality has proved to be consistently amazing and despite having a larger lens collection now, this is still the one that I reach for by default. It's as sturdy as it feels, surviving regular abuse. While there are tales of focus issues, my copy has been pretty well spot on, even wide open.

You honestly don't need to worry about leaving this lens wide open to shoot with, although it does improve slightly at around f/2.0. Plus, with a cropped frame sensor, it makes for a great short portrait lens.

It's not weather sealed like some L lens, but the optics and build are of L quality. Plus, you get a hood and a nice lens case, which would cost you at least the $100 difference between this and the Canon f/1.4 model. If you're going to pair this with a Canon Rebel series, it balances much better with a battery grip attached, otherwise the camera almost feels dwarfed.

Jan 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AwesomelyBad to your Buddy List
hatch1921

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Dec 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build | Quick focusing | Super Sharp | Color/contrast are great | super bokeh (better than the Canon F/1.4 or F/1.8 versions IMO)
Cons:
Known to front focus and mine did... dialed it in using Lens Align Pro. The lens was +13 backwards adjusted on the 5D2 and it now hits.

Solid construction! Not very heavy...shooting with the 5D2 w/grip and it balances really well on the camera. SUPER SHARP! F/1.4 is usable...really shines from F/1.8 on up. FANTASTIC Bokeh! I own the Sigma 180mm macro and it has the same look/feel to the bokeh. Colors are very nice as well.

The only way I can describe the images taken with the camera lens combo... is that they have a very "real" or "true" feeling to them... great lens all around!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hatch1921 lots of sample shots on there...

Well worth the money. If by chance you buy and can't get it to adjust... sned it back and keep trying until you get one that hits. It's worth the effort.

Hatch

Dec 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hatch1921 to your Buddy List
rtallent

Registered: Jan 2, 2005
Review Date: Dec 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly good bokeh, excellent sharpness and focus accuracy. Very good focus speed.

Dec 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rtallent to your Buddy List

Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM