90 108296 Feb 7, 2013
50D_1_

New 15.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with improved noise reduction, wide range ISO 100-3200 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800), 14-bit conversion for smooth color tones and gradations.

Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing, 6.3 fps up to 90 JPEGS using UDMA CF cards; 60 consecutive JPEGS or 16 RAW using standard CF cards.

3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) with multiple coatings for improved viewing and smudge-resistant protection.

Enhanced Live View shooting includes Face Detection Live mode.

9 cross-type high-precision sensors for accurate target subject acquisition and diagonal center cross-type AF point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

New Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction setting to automatically even the brightness across the image.

Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System with a fluorine coating for better resistance to dust.

Creative Auto goes a step beyond full auto with on screen setting display.

HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) output for displaying full high-resolution images on a High Definition TV.

Compatible with over 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS System accessories.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

alexdi

Registered: Jun 5, 2004
Review Date: Feb 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Basically a perfect evolution of the Canon form. Great to shoot with.
Cons:
Noise is bad (down at least a half-stop or more relative to the 60D, 7D and not really usable above ISO 1600 unless exposure is dead-on), the raw files are less tolerant of manipulation, and highlights blow easily. Very lot DR.

I think this camera is a bargain. I also think I'd buy a 40D instead. I had both. The 50D added AF micro-adjustment and a prettier screen, neither of which mattered for my work. The 40D had noticeably better noise and DR. The 50D's extra megapixels have a slight advantage at ISO 100 and 200 and none at ISO 400 and above.

This is the last semi-pro XXD camera. The 60D moved to a weaker body construction and dumped the AF-select joystick (incredibly useful if you've bound your AF away from the shutter). It's cheap primarily because it doesn't do movies or have other irrelevant geejaws.

So, yeah. A fine body if you're a still photographer and you're not beating on the low-light capability too much.

Feb 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add alexdi to your Buddy List
dmcharg

Registered: Nov 30, 2003
Review Date: Jun 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great all round camera, excellent image and build quality.
Cons:

I upgraded to the 50D from the 20D so it was a great upgrade. Can't really fault this camera. Excellent build quality and image quality. I use it with 24-70, 70-200 and 100-400 and the results are simply excellent. I shot everything from family pics, portraits, candids, wildlife/birds,weddings, macro etc etc and this camera more than meets my needs and then some. I have resisted the temptation to upgrade to 7D/5D etc as this is still a great camera, sure the 7D focus system would be good or the improved high iso of a full frame sensor but the 50D is still a really solid camera. Highly recommended.

Jun 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dmcharg to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Jan 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution of fine detail Color Tonality Build quality Ease of use AF speed and accuracy
Cons:
NONE

I purchased the 50D for its higher resolution and better feature set compared to my excellent 40D, which I sold. When I viewed the initial test shots from the 50D, I believed I'd made mistake and thought I should have kept the 40D. The noise, even as low as ISO 400, seemed excessive.

But through trial and error and getting to know the camera a little better, it soon became clear to me that a better understanding of the application and effects of noise reduction on this particular camera's files ... coupled with the 50D's very, very sharp rendering of fine detail ... was absolutely necessary.

Bottom line: the very high lpm resolution allows for introducing the amount of NR necessary without any sacrifice to the detail itself. NR can be introduced as needed even with shots at ISO 3200, then the proper amount of sharpening applied and ... voila! ... a beautiful, detailed, richly drawn image ... provided, of course, a high grade lens was used.

The 50D is an excellent camera if not top-notch. It handles great and is a noticeable step up from the 40D in many ways, not the least of which is IQ. At the price they're going for right now ... early 2012 ... the 50D is a better choice than a lot of the newer cameras out there.

Jan 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: Feb 12, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 15 megapixel solid build, fast enough FPS, LCD is great miro adjustment well controlled noise
Cons:
None that I can think of

I upgraded to the 50D in September 2010 from my 40D which I handed to my husband. I had put off getting the 50D due to poor reviews but when the price dropped I thought why not. I have not looked back, its been awesome for my wildlife, better than the 40D and that was a great camera. I have used it to shoot a wedding with nice results. I use L lenses and they shine on this camera, also the 10-22 performs well on the 50D too. I was thinking of going FF but right now this camera is giving me wonder results so Im concentrating on the glass. If you can still pick up a new 50D it is a steal and used would be a bargain.

my 50D images can be seen here

Feb 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
polizonte

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Feb 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: NIce LCD
Cons:

As a former Canon XTi and 40D owner, this review of the 50D is based on a used camera body, now a bargain at less than 1/2 its original selling price, even less than what I sold Canon 40D for a few years ago. Last year I tried another used 50D (selling for $150 more) l and found the noise too be very visible @ ISO 400 outside on a cloudy day. Now with firmware version 1.0.7 and ALR3 I have taken handheld shots at ISO 1600, AV mode, AWB, autofocus, with good results. I might be inclined to like the controls of this camera because it is not too unfamiliar having used Canons for a few years. It is not quite as ergonomic as my Nikon but it is still a nice, lightweight, second body. I prefer the 50D build over the Rebel series, except for the location of the on/off button; important features are the 1/250 flash synch, MF lens adjustment, and a very useable LCD (something the 40D lacked). As far as 50D vs 40D image quality, they are close enough for my needs - the newer model's improved ease of use is a major plus.

Feb 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add polizonte to your Buddy List

Review Date: Dec 14, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Good solid build (magnesium casing), rapid exposure bursts (6.3 fps), good autofocus, 15.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with improved noise reduction, wide range ISO 100-3200 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800)
Cons:
No real negatives found so far.

Advantages

1. 15.1-megapixel CMOS Sensor - those remote bird shots can now be cropped even more without losing image quality. This is a big advantage compared to the older Canon models 40D (10.1MP) or 30D (8.2MP).
2. The Improved Noise Reduction of the sensor also allows the use of higher ISO's without excessive graininess (maximum ISO rating of 12800, a key advantage if you have to shoot in low-light conditions.
3. Fast Frame Rate and Short Shutter Lag - the processor can shoot up to 6.3 fps, in bursts of up to 90 JPEGs - ideal for shooting birds in flight. This is a big advantage compared to the 60D, Rebel T1i & Rebel T2i.
4. Low Grain and Artifacts - the self cleaning sensor unit includes a fluorine coating on the low-pass filter for better dust resistance. Each time your switch the camera on and off, the self-cleaning mode kicks in.
5. Build Quality - the 50D camera body being made of magnesium alloy feels sturdy and solid as opposed to the Rebel T1i or T2i.

Disadvantages

1. Partial Weather Sealing - only the Canon 1-series bodies are weather sealed. Better not to get your 50D wet!
2. Pixel Count - based on sensor size and pixel count the 60D or the older 7D come out on top with 18MP. The 50D with 15.1MP is still far superior to the older Canon models 40D (10.1MP) or 30D (8.2MP).

Summary

Dec 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ken billington to your Buddy List

Review Date: Dec 6, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Cons:
No real negatives found so far.

Advantages

Disadvantages

Summary

The EOS 50D 15.1MP Digital SLR Camera is an excellent choice for the wildlife photographer. It delivers superb image quality from a solid-performing body. Check out my Bird & Wildlife Photos on http://kenbillington.ch/photobank.

Dec 6, 2010

Registered: Dec 4, 2010
Review Date: Dec 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Cons:
No negatives found so far.

After happily using the Canon EOS 30D for 3 years, I traded up to the Canon EOS 50D in 2009. Since then I've never looked back. In conjunction with the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM telephoto lens I've taken several thousand wildlife shots.

My preference is to shoot flight shots and have even managed to capture crisp, sharp images of dragonflies in flight.

Check out the flight shots of the Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator) on the following link: http://kenbillington.ch/photobank/Insects/

Dec 5, 2010
DoogieH

Registered: Jan 27, 2009
Review Date: Aug 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF, Speed, ISO, and image feel
Cons:
grip not built in

Look here is the deal the 50D has for some reason received a bad rap. You just don't find positive reviews all the time, and that is just plane sad. I have never been disappointed with this camera. I pick it up before my 5DII msot of the time because I can garantee the IQ will meet by needs each and everytime. The AF is spot on, beats the hell out of my 5DII, and the ISO up to 3200 and even 6400 is awesome for this camera. Oddly enough some might say I am crazy but mine produces film like images, they just have a look that even the 5DII can not replicate.

Aug 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DoogieH to your Buddy List
Dan E

Registered: Mar 23, 2010
Review Date: May 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid Camera, Super fast AF, Sharp images, wide ISO setting choices.
Cons:
None whatsoever

When deciding on a camera purchase, I almost let the "so called" experts' reviews (high noise, etc.) sway me away from the 50D. I feel that most of the negative reviews on the 50D were made under the pretense of theory and not actual experience with the camera itself, with a lot of pre-drawn conclusions (and pixel peeking!). High ISO noise has never been an issue with any of the images that I have taken with the 50D. I generally use an ISO setting of 800 to 3200. Most of my images are normal to low-light wildlife and sports photography. When people see the images that I have taken, the first words out of their mouth is "what kind of camera do you have?" That's enough of an endorsement for me.

May 22, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dan E to your Buddy List
Marc de Wit

Registered: Apr 3, 2010
Review Date: Apr 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Detail in images , af micro-adjustment , speed , bodyfeel / handling , screen
Cons:
I would love it when modes where shown in the viewfinder , like M - AV -TV - P etc

I love this camera , it gives me beautiful shots all the time.
Some of the bad reviews are nonsense , when using good glass the detail and sharpness is really incredible.
The AF micro-adjustment is a fantastic thing and helps to get the best out of your lenses.
Noiselevels very good at 1200.
Noisefilter set to high is working very well with not too much loss of detail.
I want to recommended this baby to anyone , especially at the nowadays pricelevels.
I also own a 7D but I consider it just a minor upgrade to 50D

Apr 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Marc de Wit to your Buddy List
ortho2000

Registered: Jan 6, 2006
Review Date: Nov 29, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $925.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I own two of these 50Ds. I have used Nikon D1, D200, D300, Canon D30 and 20D in the past. In brief: + Excellent ergonomic design. NO complaints whatsoever. + Great Screen detail, and the grid feature on Live view is super. + Detailed pixel peepers will be happy... all the detail you need. + The updated Digic IV system really does the job, especially with Canon Flash. + Focus is the best...quick precise ..and spot on.
Cons:
No Video, but that's the way the camera was made.

I am very pleased with this camera. I sue L series glass except for the 100mm macro and that too gives super results.

My next camera will be a much improved full frame ..say a 5D Mark III or IV.

Nov 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ortho2000 to your Buddy List
RobLindsay

Registered: Nov 8, 2009
Review Date: Nov 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, weight, AF
Cons:
none yet

I've had the camera for a week. I am writing to ask for people's pref's in tweaking the camera's CF's, customizing Picture Styles, modes of use etc. Any tips are appreciated!

I find the manual confusing but an excellent soporific. it puts me to sleep in about ten minutes. If there is a good 50D book, please recommend it.

Thanks,
Rob

Nov 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RobLindsay to your Buddy List
spiros skopos

Registered: Apr 3, 2007
Location: Greece
Review Date: Nov 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fast focus - great colors
Cons:
need lot of manual reading (but this is not a negative!)

Upgrade from Canon Xti - this is a huge step to another world!
Great camera very impressed with, but not so many days to have a final conclusion.
Very fast shutter speed and clear photos under difficult (test) circumstances ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/spicros68/4067817662/).
Very satisfied!

Nov 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add spiros skopos to your Buddy List
BurtR

Registered: Jul 10, 2003
Review Date: Oct 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Upgraded from a 10D with the Canon Loyalty program and the changes have been enlightening from the older model. The LCD screen and resolution are outstanding compared to the 10D, shutter speed, ISO and upgraded processor made the 5 model upgrade a no brainer. Also have a 1D MKII but have put that on the back burner for now except for football games.
Cons:
None so far other than the manual is a bit confusing.

Oct 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BurtR to your Buddy List
MacHeadCase

Registered: May 16, 2006
Review Date: Sep 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great handling of noise at high ISO, good image quality, solid build, great ergonomics, the 3" LCD viewer is heavenly!
Cons:
I did get a couple of funky colored photo on a sunrise in fog over a lake. The mist was greyish but shots straight on the sun, the camera insisted on giving me a yellow tint in the images. Latest firmware available is installed...

I upgraded from a Rebel XT (EOS 350D) to the 50D just about three weeks ago and I haven't even had time to go through all the settings yet. The 50D's menu is much more detailed than the XT's.

Canon's User Manual is confusing so I am thinking of buying a good "How To" book on the 50D to explain in detail all the capabilities of this camera.

It has performed flawlessly since I've had it though there was an occurrence of the camera giving me a yellow tint in some photos I took of a sunrise in fog on a lake. The correct color would have been grey/blue but photos taken straight on in the sun gave me the incorrect tint. I moved the camera slightly from "directly in the sun" to out of the sun's rays and the differences in tint was very very noticeable.

I know that the 50D did have a firmware update to correct wrong tint in photos taken in tungsten lighting and the latest firmware was indeed factory-installed.

Apart from that, I am very thrilled with this purchase.

Sep 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MacHeadCase to your Buddy List

90 108296 Feb 7, 2013