90 108445 Feb 7, 2013
50D_1_

• New 15.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with improved noise reduction, wide range ISO 100-3200 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800), 14-bit conversion for smooth color tones and gradations.

• Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing, 6.3 fps up to 90 JPEGS using UDMA CF cards; 60 consecutive JPEGS or 16 RAW using standard CF cards.

• 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) with multiple coatings for improved viewing and smudge-resistant protection.

• Enhanced Live View shooting includes Face Detection Live mode.

• 9 cross-type high-precision sensors for accurate target subject acquisition and diagonal center cross-type AF point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

• New Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction setting to automatically even the brightness across the image.

• Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System with a fluorine coating for better resistance to dust.

• Creative Auto goes a step beyond full auto with on screen setting display.

• HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) output for displaying full high-resolution images on a High Definition TV.

• Compatible with over 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS System accessories.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

wrwhite76

Registered: May 29, 2008
Review Date: Nov 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great high MP, accurate LCD, high ISO handling, and Fast
Cons:

All I can say is I love this camera!!!!!

Nov 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wrwhite76 to your Buddy List
Robb Davidson

Registered: Dec 16, 2007
Review Date: Nov 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, Great high MP, accurate LCD, decent high ISO handling
Cons:
For its price, none.

This camera is a huge step up for me from my XTi. With doubling the shutter speed, adding 5 megapixels to the image, and handling high ISO noise very well, I'm impressed with this guy. For its price, I'd say this camera is a steal. It will be my good back up camera when I have the new 5DII. Because it still has the 1.6x crop, I will keep the 70-200 2.8 on that, and my 24-70 on the 5DII.

Stellar camera. The body is built very nicely. The shutter lulls me to sleep. And now I can shoot with more confidence in my image quality.

Nov 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Robb Davidson to your Buddy List
mercman

Registered: Jul 31, 2004
Review Date: Nov 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, AF speed and Accuracy, Metering improvements (vs 30D), LCD Screen
Cons:

Traded in my 30D for a 50D. I am an amateur photographer that loves to take travel photography. 50D is superb camera with many enhancements from 30D. AF is dramatically faster and more accurate, and the rear LCD is amazing. Overall, all aspects of camera is an upgrade. Metering is more accurate and provides less need for PP than 30 D did. Noise at higher ISO's is less (generally RAW processed with Aperture) than 30D, and up to ISO 6400 is usable...as it means getting the shot vs. not getting the shot. Sure there is a little noise, but Noise Ninja does an adequate job. Highly recommended.

There has been lots of controversy with this camera. Just go to the comparometer on Imaging-Resource, and you will see exactly what my results have been. Well controlled noise with great resolution.

Nov 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mercman to your Buddy List
mertmag

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Nov 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid build, Great LCD, Live view, Image size, HIgh ISO option, Custom menu
Cons:
Neck strap too short for tall people. A little pricy

I like this camera. I have owned the 20D and 40D. I think this is the best one yet. The extra mega pixels help me in cropping images for wildlife shots. The LCD is sharp and works well on the live view when magnified to manual focus.
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse on the high ISO. DO THIS simple experiment with the raw file software. Use both ACR and CPP on the same high ISO file and see which one works better. ACR does not convert the high ISO files as well as CPP. I have tested both on the same images taken at ISO 6400 and ISO 12800 and the Canon software handles the noise much better than the Adobe camera raw. If you don't believe it try it yourself. Even if you turn off the noise reduction in the CPP software the images show less noise. Adobe needs to get their stuff together. Paying 170.00 for a PS CS4 upgrade is not cheap and Adobe should fix the problem.

Nov 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mertmag to your Buddy List
empusa

Registered: Nov 6, 2008
Location: Gibraltar
Review Date: Nov 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, LCD, focus speed,so far I have found no problems or error 99 messages. Excellent feature mix.
Cons:
Non, I've come across so far.

Excellent upgrade to the 20D, image quality is tops the improved LCD alone is worth the upgrade....

Live view is useful in akward situations such as close up and focus confirmation on stationary subjects. I love this camera.

Nov 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add empusa to your Buddy List
neridah

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: Nov 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Screen resolution-Image Quality-Live View
Cons:
Iso capabilities are hugely exaggerated and misleading - overpriced.

I am happy with the improved resolution and image quality @ all iso's under 1600.
The big let down are the noise levels at the so called expandable iso which was a huge let down as i was looking for an accomodating partner to compliment my fast prime lenses.

Nov 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add neridah to your Buddy List
bklyn_g

Registered: Oct 8, 2008
Review Date: Nov 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: build, IQ, LCD, resolution, live view button, interface, canon quality...
Cons:
noise at high ISO (2500+)

Updated from 400D.

This camera is nothing short of impressive. In feel, function and results, the 50D is rock solid. It has so many positive attributes that listing them all seems overwhelming, so I wont. Instead Ill let it stand that the 50D is everything I hoped for and more.

Images can be too noisy above ISO 2500. Still, the images are fixable in pp and often beautiful, overall, in low light.

a few samples:

Full-hearted recommendation from this user.

Nov 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bklyn_g to your Buddy List
ellenmac

Registered: Sep 1, 2005
Review Date: Nov 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,695.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I like this camera. pictures are bright and sharp even in raw.
Cons:
Only that the screen does not have a protector like the Nikon's have.

I have not done extensive shooting yet. But the pictures I have taken have been just wonderful. Love the screen, the color, the sharpness, have not found that at 1600 ISO the noise is bad as some say. It looks a lot better than on my 40D.

Nov 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ellenmac to your Buddy List
Dan Martin

Registered: Sep 7, 2004
Review Date: Nov 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Resolution, LCD, focus speed, UDMA support, LiveView works for critical focusing
Cons:
ISO 6400 and 12800 are useless

The 50D is a substantial upgrade from my 30D. Pixel peepers will be disappointed in high-iso performance, but if you actually make prints from your photos you will be quite happy. Prints up to 17x22 on my Epson 4880 look fantastic with no need for resizing. I use up to ISO 1600 without hesitation, but ISO 3200 can be used if exposed correctly or the scene has mostly lighter tones.

Nov 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dan Martin to your Buddy List
ckurmann

Registered: Nov 3, 2008
Review Date: Nov 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Great Display, Super speed, easy menu
Cons:
Awaited high ISO performance is a disappointment.

I have spent the last few years using a 350D so going 1 step bigger was a logical and overdue option. I got what I awaited and will not be going back.
Overall it's just great to have a bigger body and especially a bigger display.

What bugs me is the hyped ISO which supposedly goes up to 12800. I never have. The results from 3200 are so bad I would only use these as worst case. Anything above simply scares me. The 1600 is just OK but details suffer quite a bit.

Sorry canon but for once less pixels would definitly have been better.

Overall I would buy it again but only just. Pity I haven't got the budget (or wife) to allow myself a 5D MKII

Nov 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ckurmann to your Buddy List
godzilla

Registered: Mar 27, 2005
Review Date: Nov 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Speed, improved ergonomics, self cleaning sensor, wonderful LCD, more accurate focusing.
Cons:
Big file size

My first foray into the digital SLR world was purchasing a used Canon 20D about 3 years ago. I put over 40k frames on that camera, shooting everything from American Le Mans races to weddings. The camera performed wonderfully, always providing good images (when I didn't screw something up) and never failing to perform when asked.

As is typical with technology, the shortcomings of previous generations become spotlighted as new models hit the market. The Canon xxD bodies are no exception. I began to lust over self cleaning sensors, large LCD screens, and newer Digic technology. My contimplation of replacing my old friend was given a boost when my brother asked about buying my 20D. He wanted to explore photography more and was feeling limited by his P&S.

I did consider the 5d mkII, but I could not justify to myself spending that much on a camera body. Maybe if my hobby was generating some cashflow it would be different. Besides, once the decision was made, I wanted the new shiny NOW, not in a couple of weeks. I also thought about getting a used 5d mkI. In the end, the 5d didn't seem like a good fit for me. Although producing wonderful images, it's not as flexible as the 50d and it does not enjoy the latest technology. Also, I can keep using my 10-22 EF-S lens, which I really enjoy shooting with.

So, armed with a 10% off coupon, off to Best Buy I went. They didn't sell the body only, just the kit with a 28-135. A quick phone call to my brother, who agreed to purchase the included lens along with my old 20D, and we had a deal.

When I first pulled the 50D out of the box, I immediately noticed how much better it felt in my hand. The most significant difference is the notch in the grip under the shutter release. It has a much more natural feel vs. the 20D. The LCD screen is huge, bright, and clear.

Here's my initial thoughts:

*Speed: This camera is quick. It starts up fast, focuses fast, and the high speed burst is excellent. I can rip off a string of RAW shots and don't have to wait for the camera to write them to start shooting again. When you've got a 3 year old who can only sit still for < 0.25 seconds at any given time, this is an enormously important feature. I'm using SanDisk Extreme III 4GB cards from Costco.

*Focusing: Quick and accurate. One huge benefit to this body is the micro-adjustments. I found that two of my lenses were front focusing slightly and compensated. The difference was immediately noticeable in the images. Low light focusing is also much improved. My 50 f/1.8 used to hunt a fair amount on the 20D, not anymore. The Ai Focus setting seems more sensitive to movement as well. I rarley used that setting on my 20D because I felt it never delivered as promised. It's now my primary setting.

*Image Quality: Very happy with the results. I've been mostly shooting at ISO 1000 and below with no complaints. I have some higher ISO shots, but I haven't processed them yet. After dpreview.com's critique of the auto noise reduction softening the images at 1600 and above, I changed the built in noise reduction to low. Since I mostly shoot RAW and run images through Noise Ninja, I might end up turning it off completely. I'm eager to get my first large prints ordered.

*Interface/Feel: The menu system is easier to use. The extra buttons on the back are a welcome addition and I've aleady adjusted them in the Custom Function settings to match my shooting style. I love the custom menu that puts frequently used items on one page. With my BGE2 grip and 70-200 f/2.8, the camera feels very balanced. I'm used to Canon ergonomics, so it didn't take me very long adapt to the new additions to the 50D like the "AF on" button or the buttons being placed under the LCD, instead of to the left.

*Live View: I thought this would be a "gimmicky" feature, but I've discovered it to be enormously useful. Most recently, I was shooting in a museum using a tripod. Live View allowed me to shoot angles I wouldn't normally be able to shoot at, and allowed for much more accurate manual focusing.

Overall, I'm very happy with the upgrade. I haven't encountered any problems that seem to be plauging some users. Even if I do, my experience with Canon warranty repair is very positive and I know I won't be without the camera for very long. I didn't have to change my shooting style or "switchology" when upgrading. I shoot the same way I did before, just quicker. Maybe some of you are saying, "Your pictures suck. You need to change your shooting style." You can kiss my butt. Wink

The 50D seems to eat batteries much quicker than the 20D. I'm going to have to keep a closer eye on that.

2X the resolution means 1/2 the number of pics per card. This hasn't been a problem yet, and shouldn't be considering the affordability of CF cards. I have plenty of drive space at home, but I might run into issues when on long trips and using my laptop.

If you have a 20D, 30D, or Rebel series digital SLR, this is a recommended upgrade. If you have a 40D, I'm less enthusiastic. This is not untypical of Canon though. From generation to generation of xxD bodies, the changes seem to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary...almost encouraging the buyers to upgrade every other generation.

If you're considering Canon vs. Nikon vs. Sony vs. whatever else is out there, make sure you do your homework. I don't know enough about the other manufacturer's lines to make an educated recommendation.

Nov 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add godzilla to your Buddy List
Pago69

Registered: Oct 31, 2008
Review Date: Oct 31, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Great LCD, improved metering and auto ISO management wrt 40D
Cons:
AF issues, softness, noisy images even at relatively low ISO, high impact of NR processing

I was a happy Canon 40D owner.
I was surprised to hear about a replacement after only 12 months and I started collecting information about the new model: 50D announements promised 50% higher sensor resolution, four times the predecessor’s sensitivity and a VGA display aligned to the best competitors (and further add-on functionalities that filled – partially – the 40D’s gap wrt competitors).
Despite I had no reason to change, I decided to upgrade to the new model that I coupled with my excellent and well proven Canon 24 – 105 L and Sigma 18-50 lenses.
First shots, first disappointments: soft images, “flat”, with several examples of misfocusing.
After 300 + shots, I returned that copy to the shop and I got it immediately replaced with a new one. I turned the camera on and started trying again ... no change. Exactly the same behaviour.
AF was definitely not accurate and AF microadjustment SW tool did not support (Manufacturers should provide clear indications about an effective procedure to get a fine tuned focusing by mean of that feature...).
Once I managed to get a few (very few) decently focused images, I analysed their 100% crops that seemed to contain much less details compared to 40D, and at the same ISO level 50D appear to be noiser, unless you chosed to enforce NR with obvious further softness increase.
I went back to the shop and their kind personnel spend a couple of hours evaluating my pictures and shooting new ones with several lenses without achieving improvements.
They addressed the problem to (1) higher resolution sensor, (2) typical Canon softness (???!!!) experienced on pro-models that require heavy post processing, .... (God save the old 5D!).
I gave up and decided to swap to Nikon D300.
I should have kept my beloved 40D: its image quality is still unbeatable in its class and the price has decreased to such a point that this superb camera has become a bargain.
I may have been unlucky to pick up two 50D bad copies, anyway my personal advice to everyone who is planning to upgrade from 40D to 50D is to go and test themselves to the shop before taking their credit card out of the pocket, this way avoiding to experience expensive and time consuming disappointments.

Oct 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pago69 to your Buddy List
hoghunter

Registered: Jul 9, 2004
Review Date: Oct 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Beautiful LCD, love the alternate display of settings, Custom features, broad range of ISO settings
Cons:
Confusing Live View

I've had the body for a few days so far. When my 40D was stolen, rather than replace it I waited for the 50D. I don't regret it for a second. The LCD is so much clearer. In fact, I was considering the Nikon d300 for its display. When compared to the 40D it is so much better that even someone with poor eyes like me, can use it. The only problem I have is I need a book on the new body and none are available yet. I find Canon has always fallen short of the mark when it comes to user manuals.

As I use the body, I will probably fall more in love with it. I can see a host of features that I need to learn.

Oct 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hoghunter to your Buddy List
zahid298

Registered: Oct 25, 2008
Review Date: Oct 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: i love this i bought xsi before i tried nikon d90 belive or not canon is the best. i am not pro yet on slr world but take it .u will love it
Cons:
canon needs to come up new body style

i love this camra

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zahid298 to your Buddy List
Mark Cullenane

Registered: Dec 26, 2007
Review Date: Oct 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: I have found the camera to be great, so far I have found no problems or error messages.
Cons:
Non, I've come across so far, though it would be good to get a screen protector with the camera, as Nikon does.

I needed a second camera so rather than getting another 40D or waiting for stock of the 5Dmk2 to arrive, I bought the 50D. So far after about 300 shots I love it.

I have had no problems or error messages as described in other reviews (touch wood). I use a grip on both my bodies and find that my long L lenses balance well, even though I have small hands.

The thing that impresses most of the other Photog's I have shown the camera to is the screen resolution.

Initially I had a few problems navigating the menus, however, when all else fails read the manual.

The photographs particularly in raw when I managed to get camera raw 4.6 from adobe, are nothing short of brilliant.

If the 50D is this much of an upgrade I can't wait to get my hands on a 5Dmk2, I want the full frame body as well.

Oct 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark Cullenane to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Oct 27, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Good Build quality, Nice viewfinder, Improved and useful new LCD.
Cons:
Error 99 problems, In the end I returned the camera.

I had A 50D for a few days, And had encountered the dreaded Error 99 Syndrome Which has been widely discussed and I decided to return the camera. Totally unexceptionable to be spending this much money on a camera, Only for Canon to use sub standard parts to save some money.

Once Canon does get it's act together and fixes the problem with future production runs, This camera would be great, But I can't recommend anyone buy one at the moment. I say wait a few months for Canon to get their act together before parting with your hard earned.

Oct 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List

90 108445 Feb 7, 2013