90 108658 Feb 7, 2013
50D_1_

• New 15.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with improved noise reduction, wide range ISO 100-3200 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800), 14-bit conversion for smooth color tones and gradations.

• Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing, 6.3 fps up to 90 JPEGS using UDMA CF cards; 60 consecutive JPEGS or 16 RAW using standard CF cards.

• 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) with multiple coatings for improved viewing and smudge-resistant protection.

• Enhanced Live View shooting includes Face Detection Live mode.

• 9 cross-type high-precision sensors for accurate target subject acquisition and diagonal center cross-type AF point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

• New Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction setting to automatically even the brightness across the image.

• Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System with a fluorine coating for better resistance to dust.

• Creative Auto goes a step beyond full auto with on screen setting display.

• HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) output for displaying full high-resolution images on a High Definition TV.

• Compatible with over 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS System accessories.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

M224

Registered: Dec 26, 2008
Review Date: Dec 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, LCD, sRAW 7,1 MP, RAW 15,1 MP, Menus, Noise up to ISO 2500.
Cons:
Noise above ISO 2500

Dec 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add M224 to your Buddy List
Jeff Kingston

Registered: Aug 2, 2007
Review Date: Dec 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A very nice upgrade from the 40D. Improved resolution, controlled noise, wonderful screen, and AF micro adjust. What's not to like?
Cons:
I am very pleased, but would have been happier with 12mega pixels, then I am sure high iso would have been even better

I have had a 350D, 30D and 40D in the crop sensor range. I find the 50D to be very satisfactory. I am using this mainly for wristwatch macro photography and it is pulling out details that I could not resolve with my other crop sensor cameras.

If I were making marketing decisions, I would have compromised resolution at 12mp to get more resolution and easier noise control. I frankly think this camera has lower noise across the board than my 40D (notwithstanding what some reviewers have suggested).

Dec 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Kingston to your Buddy List
GC Montgomery

Registered: Nov 28, 2007
Review Date: Dec 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Overall build Upgraded LCD to match the competition Auto ISO range and Program Exp mode seems to work better than my 40D
Cons:
Still only 9 AF areas like the 40D Still need ST-E2 or 5xx series flash to control other strobes

I still haven't decided to buy one of these cameras. There was so much talk about it that I borrowed one to see if I should consider upgrading. I shoot a 40D but, I really preferred the Nikon D300...I just couldn't justify the extra $500 and felt that money was better spent on my EF-S 10-22mm USM. The 50D was said to be Canon's answer to the D300 so I wanted to see if I could have what I wanted without jumping to Nikon.

The 50D is a nice camera. The LCD now matches those available from Nikon and Sony. Program Exposure doesn't always shoot at the widest available aperture as it did on the 40D. I didn't have to constantly use program shift or aperture priority to get a smaller aperture. Auto ISO runs smoothly as needed from 100-1600 ISO rather than working at only 400 or 800 in the 40D.

The 50D also includes features than were little more than fluff to me. The boost in resolution didn't translate to superior IQ in my photos, even when shooting L series glass. High ISO IQ might be one stop better than the 40D but, that's subject to individual opinions. I had no need to use the microfocus adjustment for any of my lenses but, it might make a difference for those with much older glass.

Finally, I wish Canon had done more to answer Nikon's sudden acquisition of huevos in their camera development. These two firms usually leapfrog each other but, this time it seems Canon just fell short. Despite this, I still think the 50D is a solid camera and a solid choice for anyone looking at Canon. It's a hard sell for me to upgrade from a 40D but, were I shooting a Rebel I think the 50D would be a no brainer.

Dec 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GC Montgomery to your Buddy List
violetblue

Registered: Jul 21, 2006
Review Date: Dec 20, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,489.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: LCD, micro adjustments.
Cons:
Everything else

Well first of all I'll start off by saying I've used Canon gear for years, many many years. I bought the 50D to complement my 5d, one of the best cameras I've ever used. I could have bought the 1DM3 but it had a focusing problem, so I buy the 50D a year later. I can't say anything really positive about it, really. It's a stop gap camera to compete with Nikon, and Canon did a poor job. One thing that I saw right off the bat was the AF performance was poor. In AI servo it seemed to step focus, not smooth at all. I was using a 70-200 f/2.8 L and 24-70 f/2.8 L and 300 f/2.8 USM IS L, and still the same results, very poor AI servo performance. 9 AF points are too little when it comes to wildlife and sports. IQ was ok not spectacular. I think the 40d is a much much better camera.

One positive thing was that the 50D's terrible performance drove me to sell of all my Canon gear and buy a Nikon D700. I recently tested the D700 out on some wildlife and I must admit the AF is spot on and precise, not like the 50d. Canon needs to put their 1D af performance in their porsumer cameras or else people will switch.

I'm tired of Canons product defects, like the 24-105 flare issue, 1Dm3 focus issue, the 50D err99( Which I got plenty of), and now I read that the 5dM2 has black dots and banding issues which must be corrected.

Sure Nikon has it's problems too but lately nikon has built some fantastic cameras and Canon has built some problematic cameras.

Dec 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add violetblue to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: nice features such as micro AF adjustment, beautiful LCD screen, useful LiveView, good IQ, quiet shutter, DPP is the software to use (especially for NR), reactive and accurate AF
Cons:
no built-in control for wireless flash system, not totally tropicalised (but that is it exist?); battery autonomy is not as good than with 30D;

So many negative or mitigated reviews have been written on the internet (but not in specialised written magazines) about the 50D that I almost felt guilty after my purchase. It is true that, after one week of camera use, I experienced a kind of Error 99 that compelled me to remove the battery at once and replace it subsequently. I also had the impression that dynamic range was sacrificing IQ in difficult and contrasted light with some highlights being washed out. But that was before the upgrade of the firmware. Now after two months of extensive use I am coming to get another picture of the 50D. Battery : seems to me autonomy is much less than 30D (even not using LiveView).

At first you have the new features. For someone already owning a 30D the improvements are really noticeable. The anti-dust system for the sensor is more than satisfactory. The shutter is quieter, a good point for animal photographing. Sadly enough there is no remote control shutter release (like you have with the 450D).The LCD screen, larger and with many more pixels, is impressive and it is now really possible to check the quality of focus. The HDMI slot enables to connect the device on a HD TV, but you must buy the wire yourself (an extra-investment). You have live view, a nice feature for macro or landscape photo (you can activate it by just pressing the AF-On button), but the system drains your battery. Autocus seems quicker and more precise than with 30D. AI/Servo works well in good lighting conditions (not really possible to follow birds between branches in low light). Menu is much more user friendly than before, and a great feature is the quick control screen which allows you to manage quickly photo parameters with the joystick. Build quality feels about the same than 30D, though I noticed some extra-protection for the battery and CF slot with rubber reinforcement, but maybe this is not enough against rain or sand. Of course it would have been nice to have the body fully tropicalised. Something not very useful was added : a CA mode, a marketing fish-hook for beginners, maybe not that appropriate for a semi-expert camera. Built-in flash : you can fix a 1/60-1/250 speed and pass control for first or second curtain. Unfortunately the flash is not conceived for a wireless flash network. C’est vraiment dommage ! Also interesting : you can use UDMA Compact Flash cards. Files are transferred much quicker to your PC, I noticed that, but you pay the price (once more!).

Now what about IQ. I am no expert in the matter and I can only share my personal and humble view. A big complaint on the forums has been noise at high ISO. Well it is already nice to have ordinary possibilities up to 3200 ISO, and even up to 6400 and 12800, something you would never have dreamt of in the good old times of predigital photography. I would say photographs are really useable up to about 2400, maybe up to 3200. You have chromatic noise, but nothing you cannot fine tune with a software. More than 3200, and certainly 6400, you have heavy noise and even banding). By the way, for RAW processing, I would recommend using DPP above any other software : noise reduction is much better. DXO, recently upgraded for 50D (though not for all lenses), gives good results. With the 30D I only used Elements 5.0 or 6.0. I also feel that Canon 50D is a camera that gives the best results with RAW. What about resolution ? Well, details are so much better with the 50D, a good thing for enlargements or cropping, something bird lovers will appreciate. Some reviewers recommend using only the best quality lenses with the gear. But this has always been the issue with other cameras ! Anyway focusing has its importance, and by the way, the camera has the micro-AF feature which enables fine tuning of your lenses (something that helped me recover use of my Sigma 50-150 which started front focusing after several months). Exposure seems to be OK, not that much different from 30D, there are some problems in high contrast situation and the highlight priority feature doesn’t address the issue in a perfect way (you ‘ll need DPP or DXO or resign).

What with white balance ? The automatic AW control is suitable for most conditions, except for tungsten or fluo, two weak spots you will have to control manually or in DPP or other software. Image style : the best is to program your own settings.

Conclusion : Canon 50D is a gear one must learn to handle and use before appreciating it. I am pleased with the product.

Dec 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Dec 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,645.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great files, very good image up to 6400, amazing battery life, wonderful live view.
Cons:
costly for a 40D replacement.

I have had the D60, 20D, 30D, 40D and now the 50D.
I must say that the 50D is a wonderful camera for up and coming professionals and enthusiasts. It handles low light extremely well, bot focus and image quality.
I read and heard quite a bit of negative things about this model, so being the gear junkie that I am, I had to try it for myself.
After several weeks of extensive testing in almost every condition possible, I have come to the conclusion that the negative reports are just that, "reports".
The 50D responds extremely well to high iso and the images it produces are very detailed and sharp.
I must say that all of my lenses are "L" primes and a few "L" zooms.
I tried an older non USM, non "L" zoom (100-200 f4.5A Canon) and found that the large 15Mp file showed up all of this lenses flaws. Then I attach the 70-200 f4LIS and WOW, the magic is back.
Recommendation, do not use cheap glass on this body and expect good results.

The battery life has also amazed me, I have been using live view extensively and the battery just doesn't want to die.
The rear screen is also a welcome improvement, both color and sharpness, as I found the 40D to be lacking considerably in this area.

I must say that I am happier with the Jpg's this camera produces rather than its raw files. In fact the jpgs are so clean that I have stopped shooting Raw altogether with this beauty.
I am using Adobe PS to convert, I have however heard that DPP handles the files better in RAw from this camera..yet to test that myself.
HIGHLY recommend the upgrade from previous models...if $$$ allow.

Dec 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
wtfisk

Registered: Apr 29, 2003
Review Date: Dec 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The 50D handles beautifully. It's ergonomics, LCD screen, ease of use, Live View and great IQ quieted my angst from the blogs/reviews that spelled mediocrity. NOT TRUE! On the contrary, my photos, macros, HDR's, close ups, moon shots, and landscapes have been superb. Looking forward to Florida next month for my birding adventure.
Cons:
It draws a lot of negative hype from too many folks. I've had a 10D, 20D and a 40D along with a 5D. I really don't know if I need a 5D Mark II. We'll just have to wait 3 months till all of the negative hype settles and firmware catches up.

The 50D handles beautifully. It's ergonomics, LCD screen, ease of use, Live View and great IQ quieted my angst from the blogs/reviews that spelled mediocrity. NOT TRUE! On the contrary, my photos, macros, HDR's, close ups, moon shots, and landscapes have been superb. Looking forward to Florida next month for my birding adventure. I've already downloaded the Picture styles and they work well. The one thing I can't get to work on my Mac-G5 is DPP 3.51? Also, I'm not sure that the ACR is quite right, yet! I wish Adobe would clean up its act. Sheeesh!
All of my lenses have worked out very well and especially my moon shots using Live View! I sold my 5D and my 40D ostensibly to roll up for the 5D Mark II. I needed a backup camera till the new 5D was released. Now, I feel I can wait for all of the reviews to decide for me. The 50D is one sonabitch! Forget the negative hype and pick one up! I may be wrong but half of the negative reviews of the 50D are Nikon agents.

Dec 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wtfisk to your Buddy List
Chococat

Registered: Nov 26, 2008
Review Date: Nov 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good handling; produces good colors; for most applications this is a nice camera; fantastic display screen
Cons:
Diffraction--well, see comments below

For most consumers this will be a great camera. For me it turned out to be useless, and in fact I bought it as a "step up" from the XSI, but it wound up being a step down, producing inferior images. I don't want to be too unfair though, because as I said for most people this will be a nice camera, so let me explain my gripe with it. I probably use the camera in a different way than most people. I am a university professor, so of course when I travel and research I take a camera to document what I am doing, etc. To that end, the most important features to me are usually sharpness, clarity, and depth of field. The first time I used it (in the UK) something seemed amiss, but I shrugged it off as either my own inexperience with it, or a fluke. But soon after I went to Italy and again did not get the pictures I expected. I have been using several DSLRs--a couple Canons, a very nice Sony, and also a nice Olympus, and the pictures I got from the 50D were just not that good. They had detail and they were recording a lot of information, but they were not sharp and the quality seemed questionable. When I did some research (wish I had done it before I bought it) I found my problem--because of all the pixels on the small sensor and because of certain filters (or whatever they are) built into the camera to handle everything it tries to do, diffraction, regardless of the lens, starts at f/7.6. This is the earliest diffraction starts on any consumer DSLR ever made. Suddenly I realized my problem--because depth of field is important to me I usually shoot at f/11, and hence diffraction was degrading the images more noticeably than on any camera I own or have used. As I said, I think this is in general a good camera and for most people will be very useful. But for me it is useless. Like I said, it gives me worse images, not better. My personal opinion is that it is counterproductive to have a camera in which diffraction starts so early, and I think it was a mistake for them to pack that many megapixels onto a small sensor. I owned a 40D at one time and thought the camera did need an upgrade, but this was not the upgrade to give it--I think 12 megapixels would have been right, but that would not have made it "different enough" from the 40D to compel people to buy it, so I think they added the extra megapixels to make a more saleable, but not necessarily better, product.

Nov 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chococat to your Buddy List
ktomkins

Registered: Feb 28, 2006
Review Date: Nov 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Higher resolution, auto sensor cleaning, live view, lower noise at hi ISO
Cons:
Lack of raw processing software

I have both a 5D and a 30D. I purchased the 30D mainly as a backup for the 5D. However, I find that I often prefer the 30D when going to a party to snap some pics because of the built in flash. So when it came time to upgrade, I chose to upgrade the 30D to the 50D.
When I first got my 50D, I took some shots in low light at ISO800. The noise in the shadows was horrible. I played around with it for a few days and it seemed much worse than my 30D. When I called Canon, they said that maybe I had gotten a bad body, so I returned it for an exchange.
The new body gave me similar results. I figured that I had to be missing something. I was processing the raw files using ACR in CS4. Just for the heck of it, I tried the DPP that was included with the camera. What a HUGE difference. The shots were now ALMOST as good as my 5D. That told me that it was the software, NOT the camera that was the problem. After doing a little digging, I found out that Adobe Labs had some new camera profiles in beta that handled the 50D. I downloaded them and tried them out and they performed much better. They still are NOT quite as good as DPP, but they are much better than the profiles that ship with CS4.
So, if you are having problems with your raw files, try using DPP or downloading the beta profiles from Adobe Labs. Adobe really needs to get their act together with this!! For the money you pay for Photoshop and all the upgrades, you would expect them to keep current with their camera support.

Nov 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ktomkins to your Buddy List
Eric Barton

Registered: Sep 21, 2007
Review Date: Nov 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, beautiful LCD display, same accessories as 40D
Cons:
ISO 12800 too noisy

I had to purchase a new body since I zapped my 40D with water and decided on the 50D. I don't do any "special" tests... I take photos and what I see are images just as good, if not better than my 40D. My perception at this point is the AF is a tad quicker and the extra MP's do allow for a little tighter cropping. I am VERY pleased! BTW, if you haven't seen the new LCD on these, take a look...very, very nice!!

Nov 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Eric Barton to your Buddy List
violetblue

Registered: Jul 21, 2006
Review Date: Nov 25, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,399.00

Pros: LCD screen, AF microadjustment
Cons:
Other than that not much difference than 40D

I had a 5D and needed something with faster AF and FPS for wildlife but I didn't want to get a 1D series so waited to see what Canon came out with and it was the 50D and 5DM2. I bought the 50D because the 5DM2 was not a wildlife camera. First I found that the AF was not any faster than the 5D. In AI Servo I found that if I lost the subject it was hard to reacquire it. I tried everything, one point, all points, AF On switch, nothing worked. I let other photographers try it and they said the same thing. This happened with all my lenses. I tried it with a 24-700 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L, and a 300 2.8 IS L, all great lenses and the AF was still having tracking issues. Finally I sent it in and had it checked by Canon and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it and sent it back. I also got a lot of ERR 99 alerts.

I was going to sell some of my Canon gear anyway so I decided that this was the final straw for me. I sold and returned my equipment and switched to a Nikon D700. I got tired of Canon’s QC problems, and they have had a few. I also don’t like that Canon seems to think that more MP’s are better. To me Nikon is heading in the direction that I need. Having used the D300 and D700 before I find them much better overall than the Canon counter parts.

I sincerely offer my best to the 50D owners and hope they don’t have the problems I had.

Nov 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add violetblue to your Buddy List
Dneufarth

Registered: May 31, 2008
Review Date: Nov 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ to ISO 400, AF performance, LCD monitor, build, menus, flexibility...
Cons:
Reading the litany of negative comments of people who do not remember when getting a great image at ISO 100 was a miracle, and think that now if it can't shoot great images at ISO 25,000, then it's crap!

I sold my 20D to get a 5D when it was released. The 5D is a phenomenal image producer. But, since then I have missed the advantage of a crop factor, so when the 50D came out, I jumped. I have no regrets, except that I can't use my 5D and 50D for everything, there is now a choice that has to be made. Of course, each has its own strengths, which are enumerated in other reviews, but neither camera could ever been seen as anything but a joy to own and use.

Nov 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dneufarth to your Buddy List
oggywaffler

Registered: Feb 28, 2008
Review Date: Nov 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's very good.
Cons:

This is a great camera I upgraded from a 400d and what a difference. Get one you will not be sorry

Nov 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add oggywaffler to your Buddy List
Roth

Registered: Jun 4, 2005
Review Date: Nov 20, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: New screen, more options in menu... hm, that will be all.
Cons:
IQ from 40D was way better, same lenses.

Image quality is wors then on old 40D, will sell it and go for FF.

Nov 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Roth to your Buddy List
Don Merz

Registered: Sep 6, 2006
Review Date: Nov 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: The best LCD screen I've ever seen on any camera, fast and accurate focusing, fabulous image quality at ISO 800 and below, automatic sensor cleaning.
Cons:
15.1 noisy megapixels, ISO 6400 and 12,800 are basically un-useable without Noise Ninja or similar tools, still using the long-obsolete BP-511A battery

I am a wedding photographer shooting the 1DMark III with the latest D series camera as my backup or (at times) second body. When the 50D came out, I sold my lightly used 40D to stay current. I've owned the 50D for several months now and have shot thousands of wedding images with it.

When I first got the camera home, I immediately had to do a firmware upgrade to avoid the dreaded ERR 99 problem. The next thing I noticed was that the LCD on this camera is incredible. If the camera would play them, you could watch DVD movies on the thing and enjoy them--it's that good. The DIGIC 4 focusing is very fast and very accurate. It's at least as fast as on the 1DIII with its 2 DIGIC 3 processors. Low-light focusing performance of this camera is excellent (important for dark reception halls) but I should say that I lock my cameras on the center point, focus (and meter) and then recompose. The center point is more sensitive than the other points (see your Canon manual). So YMMV if you are using other focusing points or (ugh) letting the camera choose them.

But let me get to the heart of my review. I didn't buy this camera for its extra MPs. In some ways 15.1 MPs are a disadvantage to a wedding photographer because they take longer to post-process and take up more storage space. And I didn't buy this camera for the high-ISO performance. I don't need it. I can shoot ISO 3200 on the 1DIII all day and nobody will know the difference becasue the 1DIII's pixels are very clean. How clean are they? Well, to test this I recently shot identical images in a typically dark gothic-style church where no flash was allowed. I ran the 1DIII at ISO 3200 and the 50D at ISO 1600 with the result that the 1DIII blew the 50D away and gave me a full stop more exposure to work with. But surely this is unfair--the 1DIII costs 3 times what a 50D costs. No question--all this test proved is that you get what you pay for. So I am not trying to compare the 2 cameras as buying alternatives. I am only saying that the low-light ISO perfomance of the 50D is barely adequate for professional use (if I may assume that most professional have, like me, become spoiled by the incredible ISO performance of cameras in the 1DIII class).

ISO 3200 on the 50D is quite noisy. ISO 6400 on the 50D is like taking a class called "Digital Image Noise: How Bad Can It Get?" And the only way anyone would ever use the 12,800 H2 ISO setting would be to capture martians landing on earth in the dead of night when that was the only way to get any image at all. Noise Ninja will clean your images up better than you might expect. But NN only works on JPG images or full-res TIFF files. So a RAW workflow shooter has to convert his images to one of these formats in order to remove the noise. This is no small thing when working with many 15.1MP files.

If you shoot outdoors at ISO 800 and below, you're going to love the images this camera produces. Great stuff. As soon as you cross into ISO 1600 and above though, your love affair may grow sour. I can't in all candor recommend a 40D to 50D upgrade. Not enough bang for the buck. Better to wait for the 60D or 5D Mark II or ???

Finally, let me squeeze in one pet peeve. What the heck is Canon doing with the BP-511A battery pack? This ancient battery design was obsolete 3 years ago! Canon certainly loses points in my mind for not coming out with a respectable, modern battery design for the D camera series.

Don Merz
www.Ovation-Images.com

Nov 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Don Merz to your Buddy List
blktaln

Registered: Nov 1, 2008
Review Date: Nov 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: quality feel, solid build, nice LCD, fast AF, good AWB
Cons:
can't put it down. =/

Nov 15, 2008