90 107982 Feb 7, 2013
50D_1_

• New 15.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with improved noise reduction, wide range ISO 100-3200 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800), 14-bit conversion for smooth color tones and gradations.

• Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing, 6.3 fps up to 90 JPEGS using UDMA CF cards; 60 consecutive JPEGS or 16 RAW using standard CF cards.

• 3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) with multiple coatings for improved viewing and smudge-resistant protection.

• Enhanced Live View shooting includes Face Detection Live mode.

• 9 cross-type high-precision sensors for accurate target subject acquisition and diagonal center cross-type AF point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

• New Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction setting to automatically even the brightness across the image.

• Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System with a fluorine coating for better resistance to dust.

• Creative Auto goes a step beyond full auto with on screen setting display.

• HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) output for displaying full high-resolution images on a High Definition TV.

• Compatible with over 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS System accessories.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Mar 16, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, great file, lightweight, live view
Cons:
none really

I have had the 20D, 30D, 40D and now the 50D. I must say this camera 'feels' very good in my hands.
It performs very close to the 40D, however in real life examples I have found the high iso to be very very clean indeed.
I also have a 1DmkIIn and as far as focus is concerned, the 50D is no slouch at all.
I am impressed.
File size is also pleasant and very testing on lenses. Make sure top glass is used with this body.

Mar 16, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List

Review Date: Mar 1, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,100.00

Pros: New DIGIC 4 Image Processor; Clear View LCD 920,000 dots Monitor; Live View Function with Face Detection Live Mode; Quick Mode AF, Live Mode AF; AF Microadjustment; ISO capabilities up to 12800; HDMI Output; Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction ; Multi-controller (joystick) Quick Control Screen Illumination Correction; New Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit
Cons:

We are posting this review to give another opinion as to the performance of the Canon 50. There is NO way the 50D should be rated a "6". We have both 40D and a 50D bodies and have all L lens except for our 50mm 1.4. The 50D is sharper than my 40D and the images are not soft. The images are no more noisy than my 40D. As sensor density increases, so too does noise at very high ISO settings. However, the few time you have to use high ISO settings to even get an image, just reducing the 50D image to the pixel dimensions of the 40D results in very similar noise levels and the 50D retains better sharpness and details. The 50D AF System - AF Points (1 Cross Type) + 6 AF Assist Points is very similar to the 5d Mark II. The DIGIC 4 Image Processor; LCD 920,000 dots Monitor, New Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit and Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction alone are worth the upgrade. The 50D is the best Canon DSLR for the money.

Review Date: Mar 1, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,100.00

Cons:
Not Full Frame

Review Date: Mar 1, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,100.00

Cons:
Not full frame

We are posting this review to give another opinion as to the performance of the Canon 50. There is NO way the 50D should be rated a "6". We have both 40D and a 50D bodies and have all L lens except for our 50mm 1.4. The 50D is sharper than my 40D and the images are not soft. The images are no more noisy than my 40D. As sensor density increases, so too does noise at very high ISO settings. However, the few time you have to use high ISO settings to even get an image, just reducing the 50D image to the pixel dimensions of the 40D results in very similar noise levels and the 50D retains better sharpness and details. The 50D AF System - AF Points (1 Cross Type) + 6 AF Assist Points is very simular to the 5d Mark II. The DIGIC 4 Image Processor; LCD 920,000 dots Monitor, New Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit and Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction alone are worth the upgrade. The 50D is the best Canon DSLR for the money.

Review Date: Feb 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: LCD 920,000 Dot/VGA Resolution,, Build Quality, Image Quality, AF Microadjustment, Peripheral Illumination Correction, HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) Port, Quick Control Screen, Noise Reduction, Improved New Self-Cleaning, Quick Mode AF, Live Mode AF, and Face Detection Live Mode AF.
Cons:
Not full frame

We have traded up from a Rebel XTi to a 40D and now have the 50D. Many have written the 40D a better body. Not true. If you are looking to trade up from the 40D or other D - do it. I am writting this review primarily because of comments such as: "The images I've gotten have been very noisy, and I only have L glass so I hoped that I wouldn't suffer the same soft images I kept hearing about, but I did." Not my 50D and I have all L glass. Or comments such as: " The AF system is nothing to write home about." The AF system of the 50D is basicly the same as the new 5D. If any have conerns about pixel peeping - "Reducing the 50D image to the pixel dimensions of the 40D results in very similar noise levels and the 50D retains better sharpness and details". This camera is the best for the buck.

Feb 28, 2009
Conrad Tan

Registered: Dec 8, 2007
Review Date: Feb 23, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: In order of importance (to me): 6+ fps, liveview, high-rez LCD, low-light ability, 15mp (more cropping ability)
Cons:
Very difficult to get the sharp, clear images I see with the 40D. Very hit-n-miss AF system. Very noisy images from 1600 and above (relatively easy fix with pp)

I really wanted to love this camera. I heard so many good AND bad things about it and wanted to see for myself. Well both were all true. It shoots fast, it is built very well, the lcd is clear and bright, cropping is a joy, but at a cost. The images I've gotten have been very noisy, and I only have L glass so I hoped that I wouldn't suffer the same soft images I kept hearing about, but I did. My glass shines on my 5DmkII but is less than acceptable on my 50D. The AF system is nothing to write home about.

Feb 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Conrad Tan to your Buddy List
EdStanley

Registered: Dec 25, 2008
Review Date: Feb 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: LCD, build quality, image quality, live view
Cons:

I had been reading all of the negative reviews of this camera, and they almost compelled me not to purchase it. I purchased it while on vacation and have not regretted it for one moment. There are a lot of folks on here that shoot with the 1D series bodies or the 5D or 5DMKII and attempt to compare the 50D to these bodies. Comparing the high ISO performance of this camera to that of a 1D body or even a 5DMkII is a apples to oranges comparison. I upgraded from a 20D, so this was a substantial upgrade for me. I do agree (after playing with a friends 40D) that this is not too far a departure from the 40D. I have to be honest, I don't pixel peep, I take pictures. I had the fortune to use the camera for the first time in St. Maarten. I have to say the quality and sharpness is breathtaking (and yes, I'm shooting with L glass). After shooting all day, I got to play with the features like the customizable menu. This allows me to create a menu page with the options that I use most. I also like being able to display the information on the top display on the LCD and change the options as needed. I don't know why folks are complaining about the number of focus points. I have not had any problems getting great shots with only nine. If you need more focus points and better high ISO performance, then spring for one of the more expensive bodies. For those of us who just like to take pics and have fun, this is a great addition to the Canon lineup.

Feb 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EdStanley to your Buddy List
Saint Sigma

Registered: Jun 17, 2008
Review Date: Feb 14, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Comparatively Amazing AF to my previous cameras (400D/350D), IQ is pretty good, Hi-ISO capabilities make previously impossible conditions shootable now, Live View is pretty useful, Viewfinder is beautiful, and finally the frame rate still amazes me.
Cons:
Eats through CF cards like a hot knife through butter, H1 is pretty unforgiving in the shadows and H2 is basically a snowstorm, Aside from eating through memory fast using live view dramatically decreases the battery life.

I bought this camera as a new high-end body over my other cameras (400D/350D) never again will I invest in a body like that.

The camera is all I dreamed for it to be and a little more.

First off I want to mention that the biggest thing that I noticed when I held it in my hands is the different feel to the camera. It's just totally rugged and dense, to put it simply it feels like a real camera! The viewfinder was something I didn't expect but a totally welcome surprise, then there's the LCD all other LCDs pale in comparison to this one and Live-View becomes more useful and you can really tell if your shot is in-focus.

Other things that really endear this camera to me are the AF speed, the build quality, the expanded ISO options, the high framerate, and also the control lay-out and the top LCD buttons.

IQ wise, the files are stunning; not leaps and bounds stunning compared to my older cameras, but there is a nice feel to the files, something about the colors really jumps at me.

Lots of people complain that the files are "less sharp" logically speaking this just can't be the case. After I Micro-AF adjusted my lenses on this camera, there was just a new level of sharpness that resulted. The PP (or lack thereof) that some people apply on the images might actually be the reason the files seem "less sharp". As I see it, the larger dimensions of the files need a different sharpening scheme.

All-in-all a great camera, not a 1-series body in terms of functional and not in the same vein as the 5D siblings in the IQ department, but it's a good compromise at a good price.

Feb 14, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Saint Sigma to your Buddy List
rad2689

Registered: Jan 30, 2004
Review Date: Feb 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast accurate AF, great LCD, Microfocus lens adjustment, IQ, metering
Cons:
battery life, only 9 AF points

I hestitated a long time before buying. I had a 20D that I was happy with plus L Lenses. I was eagerly waiting for this camera and was disappointed that it didn't match the Nikon D300 specs. After owning it for 1 month now and micro focusing adjusting my lenses all I can say is wow - the IQ and resolution is excellent. To me it still is no match for the Nikon D300 but it is an excellent camera capable of taking excellent photos. Only complaint I have is that it eats batteries. I don't seem to get more than 250 photos per battery charge.

Feb 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rad2689 to your Buddy List
siberslug

Registered: Jan 24, 2009
Review Date: Jan 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,079.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, AF, Build quality, Low light performance, good value, lens micro adjustment, High Res LCD, More detailed images than 40D, LiveView, anti-dust system, highlight tone priority, auto ISO,
Cons:
No HD video, No built-in wireless flash system, Massive RAW files

I almost didn't but this because everyone kept saying the pics that came out of this camera were not sharp. I come to find out that they must have been talking about at the pixel level because when I played with this camera at the camera store it blew me away !!!
After talking to the guy at the store I found out that the Raw files are not the same as the 30D or the 40D, They were telling me people were using CS3 to convert the files over, Well the problem with that is that don't come out as nice as they could have. they told me to convert using DPP NOT CS3, and they showed me the difference.

When I got home I also found out that the 50D picks up much more detail than my 40D ever could and when I resized the pic to match the size of my 40D, Well... all I can says is WOW !!!!!!!!!!! I so glade I bought this.

Jan 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add siberslug to your Buddy List
Sennaista

Registered: Jan 24, 2009
Review Date: Jan 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, performance, AF, ergonomics.
Cons:
Build quality and the huge RAW files.

I bought a 50D to replace my 350D roughly a month after it came out. It is an improvement over my older camera in every respect and the only "negative" is the huge file sizes, especially if you use the full RAW setting.

I also like the idea of being able to shoot in RAW but at reduced sizes. It means I can take more pictures in those occasions that I know I won't be printing anything.

Standards are obviously different but I think anything up to ISO 2500 is very good with some chroma noise reduction using DPP. Having higher ISO settings also means it is possible to get the shot. Even ISO 12800 shots can make good 7x5 prints if processed carefully.

Jan 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sennaista to your Buddy List
oajlu

Registered: Nov 19, 2008
Review Date: Jan 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,060.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: solid build, fast focus, a lot of extra functions comparing to xx0D series.
Cons:
no HD video.

Jan 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add oajlu to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Jan 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,349.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, IQ, great low light performance, great $$$ value, excellent enlargement quality, micro adjustment for lenses.
Cons:
Like the position of the on-off switch on my XTi better.

I ended up buying the 50D with the 17-85 IS lens. I already have 2 L lenses - the 17-40 f4 and the 135 f2 so was not really looking for another lens but the price was too good to pass up. It was only another $180 with the 17-85 lens then just the body and they are selling the 17-85 up here in Canada by itself for over $600. So I figured I would end up selling the lens later and making a bit of money. However after using the camera and doing some lens comparing I am very surprised at how the 17-85 performs on the 50D. I have taken many shots using that and the 17-40 and after enlarging on my iMac screen I cannot see any differences worth noting - in some cases the 17-85 image seems sharper. So now I have 3 lenses and am not sure what I am going to do now. Especially with the 17-85 having a wider range, IS and macro setting. Anyway back to the 50D - I really like the quality feel of this camera. My last 2 cameras were the origional digital rebel and the 10MP XTi. The XTi really did take nice shots with the L lenses but I did a similar comparison between it and the 50D and the shots with the 50D were sharper when using the exact same lens and settings on a tripod. Especially when enlarged. I am also very pleased with the image quality at higher ISO settings. Took a couple of no flash photos in a bar the other night and they were way better then I would have got with the XTi. This should be a big plus when doing a wedding where the flash is not allowed during the ceremony. I also tried out the micro adjustment feature on the lenses and found out that the lenses are pretty good in their origional setting point. Nice feature however if you have a lens that you think may have a focus issue. You can custom set and basically fix the issue. I also have an older Canon EX500 flash and it works great on this camera. Not sure why but it seems to give better results on the 50D then it did on the XTi. Overall I am very satisfied with moving up to the 50D and bottom line is, that is what really matters...

Jan 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doug Vann to your Buddy List
ratsnest74

Registered: Feb 12, 2006
Review Date: Jan 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: higher resolution (more megapixels), fast response time, nice sharp LCD (about time canon), auto iso, iso 6400, low noise at and below iso 1600 even without NR applied, finger indentation on grip, AF micro adjust, much sharper images than 30D, quiet shutter, LiveView and its useful, anti-dust system, quick card formatting over 30D, bigger buffer, faster write time
Cons:
battery used up noticeably faster than 30D even without ever using LCD, flash or live view, eats memory fast (as I expected, not cameras fault), auto iso only goes to iso 1600 and is not programmable (whereas my friends Nikon D300s are programmable and doesnt have upper iso limits unless its programed by the user), focus doesnt accuracy seem much improved over 30D to me in low light (i.e., music concert) situations, needs more focus points than 9, iso 6400 would be usable except for the very noticeable banding, auto iso doesnt work in manual mode like Nikon (how nice this be), color worse than 30D, having problems setting 580 flash to 2nd curtain sync (still working on it but wont let me use flash custom function whereas 30D did)

Ive had this camera about 2 months and am still learning about it and what it can/cannot do. I came from shooting the 30D, mostly I do live music concerts and birds but also many other things. For me three things matter most as an improvement over the 30D (a great camera and now is real bang for the buck)....these three things in order of importance to me are:

improved AF accuracy and speed, improved High ISO noise and higher resolution.

From what I can tell the 50D offers improved AF speed (though not accuracy), per pixel the same noise but when downsized, much cleaner and sharper than 30D, and resolution was dramatically improved, although 15 MP is still not enough for me and doesnt seem like its that much more for all the memory it eats up.

The 50D eats batteries noticeably faster than the 30D, a huge downside. I can shoot the 30D at least 1200 shots per battery. Same conditions and no live view, the 50D only gets about 450.

The 15 megapixels is very useful for high detail photography (landscapes and birds) and cropping (when focus is perfect). Its a great camera for birds with the 1.6 crop factor, 15 MP, quick response time and auto iso.

Even though Ive never shot a Nikon, most of my photo friends have a D300 and Ive felt outgunned with my 30D for a long time. From what I can tell, the 50D all around is still no match for a D300 and maybe not even a D90.

Canon is adding features that it should have added long ago and still lacks many that Nikon users enjoy (low light focus lamp, programmable iso, built-in remote trigger for external flash, etc.) and upping the megapixels a bit from what the D300 offers. I would recommend this camera to anyone that is a current Canon user and falls into this budget range and those looking to do bird photography. However, its no where near perfect and Canon still has some catching up to do, esp. with features that Nikon offers. Sometimes it feels like pulling teeth to get Canon to give us what we want!

Jan 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ratsnest74 to your Buddy List
akilah

Registered: Aug 27, 2008
Review Date: Jan 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Higher resolution (good for birding), lens focus adjustment and improvements.
Cons:
Disappointed that the high ISO performance is not better. Higher resolution means less photos per memory card.

I have a 40D as well as the old 300D and 400D, and have built up quite a collection of lenses from Canon. At first when I bought this camera I did get a flood of "buyer's remorse", because it just didn't seem a cost-effective upgrade from a 40D, and the IQ didn't blow me away (the way the 40D's did when it came out). But rather than returning it, I decided to give it a shot, and I'm glad I did.

I enjoy taking photos of birds (and other wildlife when possible), as well as photos of hikes, city shots, candids and macro.

For birds (and wildlife) you need two things: 1) a fast shutter speed, and 2) as much telephoto reach as possible. On the first score, the 50D's ISO performance means you can't really push it past the 40D, so the shutter speed is the same. But for 2), the 50% resolution increase does really act (with cropping" like extra telephoto reach.

I've read some about the IQ of the 50D vs. the 40D. Here's my own conclusion after running a lot of tests: pixel for pixel, the 50D is about the same as the 40D, perhaps ever so slightly inferior (negligible really). So pixel for pixel they are about the same, but 50% more pixels means 50% more reach.

Using the 50D is the same as using the 40D with a 1.4 TC -- except that the IQ is much better and the maximum apeture is unimpaired.

Or put it another way: I'm able to get shots with my 400mm that I would need a 600mm on a 40D to get.

I realize I'm going to get grief that that opinion is naive, yet it is based on experimentation. For a birder or wildlife enthusiast, the camera is a must have.

For the other uses, its fine although not as big an upgrade.

In the end I'm happy with the purchase despite the flaws. If Canon ever made improvements to the ISO performance, this camera would be without equal.

Jan 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add akilah to your Buddy List
Christobel

Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Review Date: Dec 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,086.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent IQ, great ergonomics, large LCD, fast AF, highlight tone priority, auto ISO
Cons:

I love everything about this camera! I also shoot with the 5d (portraits and landscapes), and an Xsi for travel. When my 20d died a couple of weeks ago, I decided to replace it with the 50d as a back-up for my 5d. What I really like about the 50d is its versatility, excellent ergonomics, and it’s lightning fast auto focus. It’s good enough to back-up the 5d and not too heavy to carry all day. The image quality is superb, much better than my 20d and a notch above the Xsi. It’s not quite equal to the 5d, but it’s pretty close. I shoot in raw with auto ISO and highlight tone priority enabled, noise reduction turned off, and process in DPP. I also use DPP’s recommended noise reduction levels and then sharpen the image. I find the results stunning.

Dec 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Christobel to your Buddy List

90 107982 Feb 7, 2013