90 108967 Feb 7, 2013
50D_1_

New 15.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with improved noise reduction, wide range ISO 100-3200 (H1: 6400, H2: 12800), 14-bit conversion for smooth color tones and gradations.

Next generation DIGIC 4 Image Processor for faster processing, 6.3 fps up to 90 JPEGS using UDMA CF cards; 60 consecutive JPEGS or 16 RAW using standard CF cards.

3.0-inch Clear View LCD (920,000 dots/VGA) with multiple coatings for improved viewing and smudge-resistant protection.

Enhanced Live View shooting includes Face Detection Live mode.

9 cross-type high-precision sensors for accurate target subject acquisition and diagonal center cross-type AF point with f/2.8 and faster lenses.

New Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction setting to automatically even the brightness across the image.

Updated EOS Integrated Cleaning System with a fluorine coating for better resistance to dust.

Creative Auto goes a step beyond full auto with on screen setting display.

HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) output for displaying full high-resolution images on a High Definition TV.

Compatible with over 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS System accessories.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

dalephill2

Registered: Aug 26, 2003
Review Date: Sep 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Focus on par with MKII, screen by far the best, focus adjust a real plus,live view with face detect a real plus, to be able to control by pc for studio a big plus
Cons:
I just really have not come up with any

I held off for some time on getting the 50D due to it being more

expensive than the 40D, having since getting the 40D and not

noticeing alot of improvment over the 1DMKII, I sold the 40 and

with the canon loyalty program I got a refurb new unit 100

dollars over the 40D, what a deal to be sure, So I compared the

to bodies, 50D&MKII, I am much happier with the 50D, its

incredible as you will see in the pics, I used the same lens on

both(55-250) which by the way is a fantastic lens.) both cameras

are set at 100ISO 5.6 apeture, both shot raw, here is what I cam

up with, sure the 50D has greater resolution but it also caught

alot of more detail due to the greater resolution, it comes down

to image quality and the 50D just captures a far better picture,

Sep 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dalephill2 to your Buddy List
palombian

Registered: Sep 22, 2008
Review Date: Aug 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: AF, LCD screen, microAF adjust, speed, image resolution
Cons:
none for the price

@DocTP1885: well said about noise and DPP

it is not a FF, but when correctly exposed noise is no problem up to 800-1600
on low ISO heavy crops are possible

upgraded 10 months ago from the 400D

I do birds and landscape, and the 50D is the best Canon crop now, no complaints

my old EF24-85 USM is even sharper after microadjusting the AF

Aug 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add palombian to your Buddy List
DocTP1885

Registered: Aug 15, 2006
Review Date: Aug 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent Build, Digic4, fast focus, excellent image, fast FPS. LCD is beautiful. Micro-adjustment, peripheral illumintation, new Live view. New menu display
Cons:
Above average ISO

Finally put my 30D to the pasture and sold it to another pro photographer who was buying it for her brother. Man, I loved the 30D. been flawless and a great work horse. I mainly wanted to upgrade to a FF but I managed to save for two L lenses and what ever I had left over I would get the 50D. I felt getting pro quality lens was more important than a body, since bodies seem to go through 18mos cycle. The 50D upgrade was significant. Getting familiar with the 50D layout took me all of 10min and setting to my preference took less than that. The menu was simple, effective, and brilliant. LCD is breathtaking. Lot of bells and whistles. Immediately I noticed the focus and image was very impressive. better than my 30D. On my 30D with L lens the focus was fast compared to non L glass, but on a 50D, its blistering fast and image is excellent. Live view is new to me and I doubt I would ever use this feature. If I do, it would be extremely rare. I fiddled with the live view and it was easy and intuitive. Did I mention about the LCD? the view on the LCD is HD quality and right now surpass my laptop monitor. It's that beautiful, but dont rely on it becuase if you dont have a nice LCD monitor, you'll be dissapointed when PP.

Ergonomiclly, it's feels bigger,better and more rugged than my 30D. My bud has a 40D and they feel almost exactly the same.

Now lets talk about IMAGE and NOISE. I've read alot of reviews and just about all of them stated to get the best image of the 50D, top quality glass is needed. This is a toss up in my point of view. I chose L glass because of it's quality, value and ability to go FF without having to buy more lenses just for FF. Combination of the 50D with top glass is a match made in heaven and the image is EXCELLENT, but for casual photographer, certain USM lenses will be more than suffice. NOISE...this is interesting. I'm a closet pixel peeper. I wont admit to my other photographer friends or clients, but I do pixel peep, not because of the image, but noise. From 800 and above, there is a very slight noise increase (Very slight) compared to my 30D. I normally use CS3 and correct the noise on 30D and 50D, but find CS3 didnt clean it as well on the 50D as it did when I had my 30D....But, if I used DPP, the noise cleaned exceptionally well and image is phenomenal at 800 and 1600. At 3200, Image starts to soften just a little. I rarely shoot above 1600, so this doesnt bother me. If you're constantly shooting 800 and above, expect to be using DPP for noise cleaning, CS3/4 just doesnt cut it.

Overall, the pros out weighed the cons. 50D surpassed everything on my 30D from body, menu, LCD, speed, and extra features. the 30D handled the noise better, but with DPP, the 50D noise becomes obsolete and image will become breath taking...it'll just extra few steps to get there.

Aug 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DocTP1885 to your Buddy List
CJBushnell

Registered: May 24, 2009
Review Date: Aug 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 1 - 20% increase in resolution over the 40D - it shows! 2 - Screen sharp enough to judge pics properly in the field 3 - Live view with new screen excellent for manual focus macro
Cons:

Well, it was hard choice to buy this camera, mainly because of how many regurgetated poor reviews there are scattered around. This website is the leveller in this as the reviews are from real owners/users. So, thank you FM and thank you to all the FM posters, because I am Very Happy with my purchase.

I wanted more resolution, mainly for my macro work. There's a lot of criticism of the 50D, mainly centred around two points "it's not sharp at pixel level" and "it's too noisey".

Well maybe at 100% on an unsharpened RAW file you could say it doesn't look so sharp and yes, on a RAW file with no noise reduction at ISO 800 and above it does show noise,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT hold your horses, RAW images require processing right? - if you use the the whole package - i.e. camera settings for noise reduction and sharpening and use the new canon DPP software for processing, the images look Great. The files take noise reduction very nicely (with the new canon DPP software) and simillarly they take sharpening very well. The end results are visibly smoother and sharper than my 40D files were - without doubt.

I posted a 100% crop of a damselfly a few days ago on flickr. See for yourself:

The new vga screen looks fabulous and is excellent for manual focus macro using live view!

The lens micro focus adjustment is a brilliant feature for anyone with front or back focus issues with their lenses (I've not tried it yet as I haven't noticed problems with my lenses, but it's proven technology from the 1D series cameras).

Build quality is the same as the 40D - excellent. If I wanted to nit pick I'd say that they could have weather sealed it, but I think that this is a marketing decision to keep that for the 1 series pro bodies and anyway, I knew it wasn't sealed before I bought it, so it doesn't loose a mark for this.

AF - it's at least as good as the 40D if not better. Art Morris says it's the best canon body so far for birds in flight. Google Art Morris 50D and read for yourself.

High ISO (6400 and 12800): As regards noise - the ISO expansion of 6400 and 12800 are very noisey - but they're are there if you really feel the need and in such cases you'll get an image where you would otherwise had nothing (or something very blurred).

If you buy this camera specificly to shoot about 3200, you may not be happy with the results (depending on what level of image quality you are expecting). however; if you are buying it for the high resolution for cropping or for very large prints; for the excellent screen and live view; for the solid build; for the lens micro focus adjustment; you will be one happy camper! I certainly am!

Incidently, it cost me 150 more than a 40D - at 750, that's a massive drop from the original 1200 price tag when it launched. That's one benefit I got from all those bad reviews - sales have suffered and now it's a lot cheaper. Take my advise and take advantage of that - I doubt that the 5DmkII will drop by the same margin.

Hope this has helped you in your hunt for you next camera.
Thanks to FM for a great site.

Clive

Aug 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CJBushnell to your Buddy List
Archim

Registered: Jul 12, 2009
Review Date: Jul 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Picture quality is excellent
Cons:
Dust problem within 2 weeks, AF probleem after 3 and 1/2 mnths of use

I bought this camera EOS 50D on March 30, 2009.

I was very happy when using it after the first week:
Easy to use
Incredible quality of the pictures
Very fast Auto Focus
Very nice LCD screen
Very usable an good navigation

I am an architect and after two weeks I needed to make some pictures of one of my projects. Results where excellent, I noticed however suddenly dust in the right hand bottom corner of the LCD screen. I took the pictures in very windy conditions.

I surfed the net I noticed some other people had the same thing happening in windy conditions. To me unacceptable for a camera in this price range. However I learned to live with it since it not really was a usability problem.

Then there was today 3 and half months after buying, I was at the local navy days with my kids when suddenly out of the blue I had a problem focussing on a ship after zooming in.

The focus kept going in and out, no beep, then a black info screen and ERR 01 saying there might be a problem with the contacts of the lens, so I tried to clean them, the following two hours I took about 185 pictures but the problem constantly came back over 15 times, only switching of an on helped sometimes, but in soome instances the problem was immediately back.

Getting back home I first left the camera of and decided to go first for a clean of the contacts which I did, then for a firmware update from 1.03 to 1.06.

The firmware update went perfect. Then I started using the camera again first 66 test pictures seemed no problem.

Turned the camera off, dismounted the lens put in the bag to rest. A half an hour later remounted the lens and did a new test to make sure I had no problem.

Oh boy after that I constantly have AutoFocus problems randomly, example wide open lens AF OK, zoom in AF starts to focus in and out sometimes more then 30 seconds with no focus when pushing the release button half way down.

Then leaving release button sometimes it works sometimes the problem remains.

Going back to zooming out mostly gives no problem, however zooming back in creates the problem again, and it does not matter if the target is far away or close at hand.

I had flawless and very AF before in nearly all circumstances, nearly had no problem on about 3000 picture taken before.

Tomorrow I'm calling service as this makes the camera in many instances not usable.

Christophe, Belgium

Jul 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Archim to your Buddy List
Alex Paul

Registered: Jan 2, 2006
Review Date: Jun 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, fast and accurate focusing, focus tracks BIF shots nearlly as well as my 1 series bodies and coupled with a long lens such as a 500f4IS makes hand holding much more manageable than with the added weight of the pro bodies. Very consistent metering, excellent resolution and excellent detailed images. 6 1/2 frames per second is plenty fast for capturing what the eye didn't see at the time, and support of UDMA cards makes a substantial difference in not filling the buffer under normal rapid burst shooting situations. Great price!! If the new version of the 1 series has the abilities the 50D is exhibiting, I will have my name on the waiting list...
Cons:
I honestly can't come up with anything other than it wouldn't survive being used as a hammer.. I find higher ISO performance is fine with good exposure, and reasonably even lit shots, though this seems to be a complaint by some.

I have for years had a couple of prosumer bodies for back up, and for the times when a pro body is more a chore than I need or want to deal with. Loved my 20D still do, Never cared much for my 40D as it never gave me predictable exposures, and had medium contrast focus issues. Love the performance of both my 1DMkII and MkIIN, but now that I decided to pick up a 50D, a while back the performance is so good that it is the body I grab most of the time. As a bird shooting addict the keeper rate including threading and hitting focus through clutter, and in flights is so consistent that I find it hard to justify taking a heavier body especially with my primary bird lens being a 500 f4IS, with a 1.4xTC that pretty much lives on the lens. I hand hold shoot for ease of movement, and virtually no set up time for the shots that present themselves with little to no warning, or requiring a contorted posture to get a clean shot, and so the combination is lighter, swings easily, and the 50D nails focus fast, and accurately... I believe this to be the best bang for the buck DSLR Canon has ever offered...The images that come out of this camera are excellent. I believe the DigicIV processor may be a huge benefit to the newest version of the 1 series when it comes out.. Hope this convinces anyone sitting on the fence about the decision... I will stand behind my conviction on this one.... Go for it...

Jun 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Alex Paul to your Buddy List
arovane

Registered: May 20, 2008
Review Date: Jun 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: LCD, Focus, the ISO settings, better liveview and I can use my old grip
Cons:
no higher fps

I owed already the G9, 400D, 450D and the 40D...
The 50D is a very nice Cam, it has a i missed on the 40D.
The LCD screen is perfect to check the photos you made. the 15 megapixel are nice but not necessary... but the real step up is the ISO and the noise reduction....I can recommend the 50D

Jun 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add arovane to your Buddy List
gavin_emmons

Registered: Jan 5, 2009
Review Date: Jun 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent for wildlife and action photography: fast AF and FPS, high image quality and crop ability, micro-AF adjustment, high-quality LCD, durable and relatively lightweight body.
Cons:
Very little in the way of serious cons... Wishlist upgrades would include: AF on par with 1-series, or at least transitional between 1- and xxD-series; excellent noise control and clean images up to 6400.

I feel the need to post this review after seeing some of the low ratings given to this camera. I have owned and used the 50D for 9 months. I also owned a 40D (and subsequently sold it after using the 50D) and still own a 5D Mark I as well.

The 50D is a great camera... Frankly, I'm amazed by reviews rating this camera at "6" or lower, as I have not experienced any of the issues remarked upon such as soft images, magenta casts, AF errors, etc. Compared to the 40D, the 50D equals or best its features in all respects. Given that the 50D employs Canon's first attempt at a very high density 15 MP sensor, I think it's impressive that the camera is able to equal the 40D's noise and FPS rates as well as it does.

I use this camera largely for its superb abilities as a tool for wildlife photography. Mated with L glass this camera can produce incredibly detailed and colorful images. AF speed is very responsive, particularly with super telephotos like the 500mm f4 IS and 300mm f2.8 IS lenses (both of which I use and own). When printing large images - say 16"x24" - noise control is still excellent at ISO 400, and great at 800 with proper post-processing.

I can't help thinking that the majority of reviewer problems with this camera are related to user error rather than faults in the camera itself. Many expert wildlife photographers have produced superb images with this camera, and Art Morris - one of the most highly regarded bird photographers - now uses this camera frequently with 400mm f4 DO IS and 800mm f5.6 IS lenses, and claims that it tracks birds in flight better than any other EOS model he has used. If folks like Art Morris can produce exceptional results with the 50D, clearly it can be a superb tool with appropriate attention to detail and technique.

In my experience with the 50D, the main "issue" seems to be the 15MP sensor. Having used the 50D, the 5D, and the 40D, I can definitely say that the 50D takes a different processing approach than the other cameras. Use of sharpening and noise reduction must be very thoughtfully applied to make the best use of the sensor's capacities. Likewise in field use, the 50D is pretty unforgiving; it requires very high-quality lenses for optimal results as well as very good technique to achieve sharp photos. In this way, it is a bit misleading to think of the 50D as a prosumer camera. It is definitely a professional tool and requires expert attention to detail to get the most out of it. Fortunately, it does include micro-AF adjustment and a beautifully sharp LCD screen... I have found both to be invaluable for critical photo review in the field.

In summary: with proper technique and attention to detail, the 50D is an incredible camera, especially for wildlife and action photography. I highly recommend it!

Jun 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gavin_emmons to your Buddy List
NinaS

Registered: Nov 13, 2005
Review Date: Jun 18, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,399.99

Pros: Higher ISO performance, fast, love the screen
Cons:
large files

I left a review back in Oct when I bought this camera, but felt an update was needed

I bought the 50D specifically for dog agility in indoor arenas, I needed a camera that could push the ISO to 6400, be amazingly fast to focus, and could shoot non-stop for hours ...

this camera does all of the above. to maintain a shutter speed of 1/200th with a f/2.8 lens, my 50D lives on 6400. This camera has in camera settings to reduce the noise, it works on the JPGs, not on the RAWs, so I have switched to shooting only large JPGs for indoor sports

I have taken over 50K of images on this body so far, and have had zero, and I mean zero, issues, one Err99 (in studio), that's it ... I did have an older battery fail, but doubt the camera was at fault.

If you want to shoot moving targets in the dark, this is your camera

note: I also own a 30D, 20D and a 300D, and it is hard to put this camera down and use one of the others anymore Smile

Jun 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add NinaS to your Buddy List
nightheron

Registered: Aug 3, 2005
Review Date: Jun 15, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: produces more detail in images compared to its predecessors, brighter viewfinder, nice high res LCD, frame rate still at 6fps, lens micro focus adjustment
Cons:
magenta color cast in photos, small but noticeable increase noise at higher ISO speeds, needs lots of memory, quality control issues

The Canon 50D continues the trend of subpar quality that seems to be coming out of Canon lately. When I bought a 40D in 2007 I ended up going through 4 bodies before I finally got one that didn't have some sort of a major defect. When I bought a 50D earlier this year it had the exact same problem as my first two 40Ds: unexplained softness regardless of what lenses and settings I used. The images produced by the 50D with my Canon 300mm f/4L lens looked as though they were taken with a 35 year old lens that was full of fungus. I ended up exchanging the 50D with another, and thankfully the second didn't have this problem. But the second 50D wasn't without its problems either.

Both 50Ds I used produced images that had a noticeable magenta color cast in both JPEG and RAW modes. Neither 50D produced the pleasing natural looking color my Rebels and older x0D bodies consistently produced. In some cases this color cast was correctable, but in most cases I could never get the color to look quite right. After a week of seeing varying degrees of magenta in every photo I took I decided to give up on the 50D and stick with my 40D. Perhaps I happened to get a second bad 50D? I don't know. The problem I had with magenta color casts on the 50D I also see in photos taken by other peoples' 50Ds, and I am now also starting to see it in photos taken by the new Rebel T1i, which uses the same 15 megapixel sensor.

On the positive side, the 50D did pull more resolution out of my L series lenses than the 40D does - more feather detail in birds and finer detail in flowers. The viewfinder on the 50D was also noticeably brighter and the rear LCD was much more pleasing to use due to its higher resolution. As for noise, when comparing RAW images between the 40D and 50D I did notice equivalent ISO speeds from ISO 400 and up on the 50D showed more noise. At ISO 400 the difference was minimal, but at ISO 800 I felt like the 50D was more equivalent to ISO 1000-1200 on my 40D. Finally, I didn't notice any differences in focus performance between the 50D and 40D.

Jun 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nightheron to your Buddy List
johndill

Registered: Jun 7, 2009
Review Date: Jun 7, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00

Pros: incomplete
Cons:
incomplete

Massive failure right out of the box. Bought this from Dell, so the retunr will not be a problem. Set it up, took it out the my daughters soccer game, fired away and "err 20, shooting not possible" tried all the trouble shooting including reflashing the firmware. It only takes one picture and then it jams with the "err 20". I am sure Dell will make it right but what a huge disappointment. Hope to post a mroe complete review in the future. Back to the 20D for a bit. Not so bad

Jun 7, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add johndill to your Buddy List
fabianfoo

Registered: Jul 18, 2005
Review Date: Jun 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: - Large detailed files allow for lots of cropping - Great LCD for image review - Easy-to-use menus with good customisation options
Cons:
- Shadow noise is less than optimal - No Auto ISO implementation as per Nikon DSLRs - ISO 3200 is very average

I just want to focus on a couple of issues regarding the 50D.

Yes there is more shadow noise than one would like, but this is a non-issue when the image is exposed properly.

ISO 3200 is not very useful unless you plan to only print small or are happy to downsize the image. ISO 1,600 is perfectly fine (as long as you don't underexpose too much).

I think the 50D is less "forgiving" when it comes to exposures. Exposing to the right of the histogram a little more will avoid most of these noise issues, if you want to try brightening the shadow area in post-production.

All the other positive comments about AF speed, frame rate, build quality, usability etc, I agree with.

And finally, don't cheap out on the lenses. Marry top-quality lenses with the 50D body and you will produce excellent quality images with loads of detail.

Yes, full frame SLRs like the 5D and 1D series will produce even better, more detailed results, but there's a substantial price and size penalty involved.

Some photos from a recent outing to Taronga zoo, Sydney (50D paired with Canon 70-200mm f4 IS lens)

Jun 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fabianfoo to your Buddy List
Dean Treml

Registered: Aug 9, 2004
Review Date: May 19, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I just discovered that there is a custom function to switch the functionality of the AF-ON and the * buttons (CF lV-2) which cures the problem I moaned about below! Ok so now the preview zoom out button is now the AF-On button but this is a small price to pay for having good operations while shooting.
Reading the manual can be helpful, I should try it more often!

May 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dean Treml to your Buddy List
Dean Treml

Registered: Aug 9, 2004
Review Date: May 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: File Size - Image Quality - AF - Frame Rate - LCD - Build Quality
Cons:
Lack of AF Lock via vertical grip (see below)

Firstly, this camera is absolutely PHENOMENAL value !

Second, a bit of history, in the DSLR world over the last 10 years I have owned - D2000, D30, D60, 30D, 1DMk1 & 1DMk2. I have spent a bit of coin and experienced a few different levels of quality and responsiveness.

Thirdly, and finally, the features and overall quality that you get from this camera is outstanding. The 15MP files are big, sharp and usable, the 6.3fps is plenty quick enough for most things, the AF is fast and accurate, the ISO is pretty nice and the ergonomics are good. I tried a loaner 5DMk2 and was VERY impressed but none were available at that time and I wanted some more megapixels for some upcoming jobs so I grabbed a 50D for the interim. The result is I bought a second 50D and my 1DMk2 is now my backup body and the 30D needs to find a new home.
Sure the 1D is a pro body and does nothing wrong for a 5 year old camera but the 50D file size and general workability is so good I really don`t see much advantage in using the 1D. I also don`t think I`ll get a 5DMk2 now, instead I`ll have fun with my 50`s, which collectively cost much less than a 5D, and wait and see what the 1DMk4 has to offer whenever we see it.

My only gripe about this camera is regarding a functionality change that Canon has made, which effects the way I use a camera but wont bother most people... however, I have always used the shutter release button for AF, and the * button on the back for focus lock. Canon have added an AF ON button to the back which is now used for focus lock operation, which is no biggie, but the vertical grip does not incorporate the AF ON so shooting vertically I have had to get in the habit of retaining a horizontal hold, which is a bit of a pain. For the 2nd body I didn`t even bother getting the vertical grip for this reason.

It`s a great bit of kit and stupidly cheap.

May 17, 2009
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Apr 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 15 meg sensor, nice LCD, very fast in use, takes 20D/30D/40D batteries, charger and grip and 40D focusing screens, 14 bit RAW files, well built, nice to hold, lots to like really
Cons:
Still a fairly modest viewfinder, big files (but you should know that when you buy a 15 meg camera!) quite expensive. Canon finally give us proper gridlines in liveview and they are so thick you can hardly see through them, daft!

A typical, efficient modern Canon dslr. A proper upgrade to the already very good 40D. I haven't found any of the image quality issues flying around the web, just large, well detailed files and a very fast-in-use camera whose body didn't need redesigning from the 40D, it was good already. Much nicer to look at the the current Nikons I think, not that that matters.

Quite why people complain about the size of the files I don't know - it's a 15 meg camera, it's going to have big files! Good ones too.

I have no hesitation in giving this a high mark, it's a fast, versatile, well built camera whose price will. I hope come down a bit in due course.

I assume the 60D will add movie modes but hopefully no more pixels.

Apr 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
wtfisk

Registered: Apr 29, 2003
Review Date: Mar 22, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,300.00

Pros: The flexibility, and ability to be a sport's camera, macro, and be a Jack-of-all-trades! I've had this bay for a couple of thousand shots, now and it hasn't let me down. I Can't understand how some folks can give this a "6" or less??!!! Are you nuts? I sold my 40D and my 5D to roll up to the x Canon 5D Mark II. The 50D was supposed to be a "back-up" camera. Now, I'm not sure that I need to upgrade. I'm totally happy with all of the multi-aspects this camera has to offer! The Live view has allowed me to capture my best macros and moon shots ever!!! Un-believable and amazing!! If Canon upgrades the Canon 5D Mark II, I might re-consider my patience. But for now, this is one bad puppy!
Cons:
Noise at upper levels

This is a 10+++! The flexibility, and ability to be a sport's camera, macro, and be a Jack-of-all-trades! I've had this bay for a couple of thousand shots, now and it hasn't let me down. I Can't understand how some folks can give this a "6" or less??!!! Are you nuts? I sold my 40D and my 5D to roll up to the x Canon 5D Mark II. The 50D was supposed to be a "back-up" camera. Now, I'm not sure that I need to upgrade. I'm totally happy with all of the multi-aspects this camera has to offer! The Live view has allowed me to capture my best macros and moon shots ever!!!
Un-believable and amazing!! If Canon upgrades the Canon 5D Mark II, I might re-consider my patience. But for now, this is one bad puppy! And I can't believe that I was almost dis-sueded from upgrading from the 40D to the 50D! These reviews and forums can be very irrattic and irrational!
I still believe that Nikon folks are saboteurs on these websites and trying to shift others to get the alternative. Nikon does have some great performers (D300 and D 700). The 50 D compares very favorably to its Nikon counterpart. I love the Canon 50D and I'm happy that I'm an owner!

Mar 22, 2009