Nikon D700

49 85310 Jan 11, 2012
D700

12.1 megapixel full-frame sensor (8.45m pixel pitch)
Image Sensor Cleaning (vibration)
ISO 200 - 6400 (with boost up to ISO 25600 and down to ISO 100)
Also supports DX lenses, viewfinder automatically masks (5.1 megapixels with DX lens)
14-bit A/D conversion, 12 channel readout
Same ultra-fast startup and shutter lag as D3
Nikon EXPEED image processor (Capture NX processing and NR algorithms, lower power)
New Kevlar / carbon fibre composite shutter with 150,000 exposure durability
Multi-CAM3500FX Auto Focus sensor (51-point, 15 cross-type, more vertical coverage)
Auto-focus tracking by color (using information from 1005-pixel AE sensor)
95% coverage, 0.72x magnification viewfinder
Auto-focus calibration (fine-tuning), fixed body or up to 20 separate lens settings
Scene Recognition System (uses AE sensor, AF sensor)
Picture Control image parameter presets
5 frames per second continuous with auto-focus tracking*
Optional MB-D10 Battery Pack (same as D300), increases burst rate to 8 fps
UDMA compatible single CF card slot
3.0" 922,000 pixel LCD monitor
Live View with either phase detect (mirror up/down) or contrast detect Auto Focus
Virtual horizon indicates if camera is level (like an aircraft cockpit display)
HDMI HD video output
'Active D-Lighting' (adjusts metering as well as applying D-Lighting curve)
Detailed 'Control Panel' type display on LCD monitor, changes color in darkness
Magnesium alloy body with connections and buttons sealed against moisture
Improved Info display on main screen

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

Steezus

Registered: Aug 1, 2009
Review Date: Oct 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ergonomics, ISO Performance, Fast Focus, Ergonomics, IQ, Feature Set, Size, Build Quality
Cons:
You cannot set an individual memory bank to remember every setting in all the menus. You have to use 2 separate banks to cover every setting in memory.

I was reluctant to replace one of my lenses on top of paying more money to upgrade to FX, but I am more than happy I did. The D700 will be a camera I have for 5 years and will most likely never feel left behind during that time.

The build quality, ergonomics, and menu systems are the reason I went to Nikon in the first place, and the D700 is no slouch. I went from a D40 to a D80 then finally to the D700. The D700 makes any DXX product feel extremely cheap by comparison. I feel confident it can handle a pretty big beating without any problems.

The ISO is something I don't even need to talk about since that is what this sensor is known for, the focusing is what rally took be by surprise. This will lock focus almost instantanesouly with my 70-200 while shooting in extremely dark settings. The 3D tracking, which I thought was a gimmick and never figured I would use, has worked out awesome when I tried to shoot fast moving wildlife one day. It locked focus a lot fast and more consistently than I was able to using my usual single-point focus on a fast moving subject such as a bird.

I would just recommend purchasing a 3rd party strap to relieve some weight incurred with higher quality lenses that should be used on such a fine body. I bought a Crumpler Industry Disgrace and have no problems carrying around a D700 with 14-24/2.8 or 70-200/2.8 all day.

Oct 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Steezus to your Buddy List
Richard

Registered: Jan 2, 2002
Review Date: Oct 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice to use good layout fells right when you are using it.
Cons:
bit pricey lenses

i have previously used the 1d mark2n and wanted something a bit lighter and smaller but i have just added the grip so the smaller has not really worked out. i am still trying to understand what lenses will really fit with my requiremnts for shooting junior sports i have just bought the 80-400 and should have read the reviews as it seems to have some issues

I like the fact it is not a 20 mg as i am not real keen on working with massive file as i tend to shoot many more than i need just in case.

Oct 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Richard to your Buddy List
rjenson

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Sep 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,519.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great size, quality build, speed, features and feel. Jpegs are sharp with beautiful colors. Has the cleanest low iso images I've seen in any camera. High iso is the best too. Overall the finest digital slr on the market imho.
Cons:
None. Can't put it down...maybe!

Sep 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rjenson to your Buddy List
JurWees

Registered: Jun 22, 2005
Review Date: Jul 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very solid with magnificent controls. Excellent monitor screen. Extremely clean files up to very high ISO's. Beautiful IQ. Nice viewfinder with built-in shutter. Can be used with almost every Nikkor ever made. Excellent companion to the D300.
Cons:
CF-door seems a bit flimsy, but sofar no real problems with it.

Jul 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JurWees to your Buddy List
m9gonz

Registered: Jan 9, 2009
Review Date: Apr 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ability to use ai and ais lenses Tremendous hi ISO output Well laid out menus
Cons:
slightly heavy having problems with 16 gig CF kingston

After owning and using the Canon 5d with much success, I bought this camera to take advantage of my collection of ais lenses.
The 24mm f2, 28mm f2 and the 35mm f1.4 balance well on this camera and makes it a pleasure to use. I still have all my Canon
stuff but it does not get used much. I also have the new Nikon 14-24mm lens and it is the best wide zoom I have ever used, but bulky.
Bottom line this camera is the best for the $$ out there IMHO

Apr 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add m9gonz to your Buddy List
mach250

Registered: Mar 22, 2008
Review Date: Apr 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Many little things that really show nikons attention to detail, such as the diopter knob, added accessories. You pay for what you get, especially with this camera.
Cons:
Price, but you pay for what you get. First nikon camera so I cant really comment as of yet.

Apr 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mach250 to your Buddy List
Teru Kage

Registered: Oct 29, 2007
Review Date: Mar 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid build, ISO performance, FX format, Fast/Accurate Focus.
Cons:
May be too bulky for light travel, 12MP might not be enough for special needs, no inexpensive wireless remote.

Build

The first thing I noticed about the D700 was its bulk. Even though its dimensions aren't that much bigger than my previous 2 D-SLRs (D70 and D80), the D700 feels a lot heftier and solidly built. The button layout is more complex than the lower grade cameras so this isn't a camera that I'd recommend to a beginner unless they're ready to spend some serious time going through the 1-inch thick user manual. Fortunately, coming from the D80, the menu systems and button symbols are easily recognizable. And the fact that all the major functions have their own buttons is a definitely plus compared to the sharing of buttons of my previous cameras.
This may not be a popular opinion, but I love the inclusion of the built-in flash. I own a hotshoe flash that I use for serious shoots, but in a pinch, it's always nice to have a built-in flash for fill flash or wireless commander for all those times that you want to travel light.

ISO performance

Simply stunning. The details and noise at ISO 12800 looks similar to ISO 1600 on my D80 (I've uploaded some comparison shots to my album: www.fotop.net/teruphoto/D700). It's an absolute pleasure to have a camera that gives me the freedom to work with existing light without having to compromise image quality.

FX Format

Having shot on DX format for some time now, I'd forgotten what DOF (depth of field) looks like in Full Frame. The background of my f/1.8 photos are beautifully creamy. I find myself playing with DOF more and more ever since getting this camera.

In terms of the 12MP "limitation" that some people complain about, I consider it a con only if you need the extra pixels. I've seen poster sized prints made from the D700 that were more than detailed enough for my tastes. But if you constantly need to make huge prints with fine detail, than 12MP might be a limitation (and you probably should be looking into medium format cameras). IMHO, I'd rather take the 12MP with amazing ISO performance.

Focus

I'll have to experiment a little more (I've yet to try sports/bird photography), but from what I've experienced so far, the focus is fast and accurate. To be fair, I'm comparing this to the performance of my D80, so it's not exactly an even playing field. I used to prefer using single point focus, but the accuracy of the D700's focusing makes me want to use the Dynamic area mode more often.

No problems encountered so far, but just a small wish list of features that would suit my needs a little more:

1) A smaller/lighter body. I realize that the D700's bulk is the price to pay for the larger sensor and more resilient body, but I like to travel light and the D700 is noticeably more massive than my previous cameras.

2) Inexpensive wireless remote. I love the tiny ML-L3 wireless remote that I used on my D70 and D80. The wireless solutions that I've seen for the D700 are expensive and bulky and often require the use of the hotshoe.

3) SD cards. I realize that CF cards have better performance, but SD cards are fast catching up, and I've always preferred the smaller, pinless format of SD. I guess I've experienced too many bent pins.

Mar 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Teru Kage to your Buddy List
Skyehigh

Registered: Jan 10, 2009
Review Date: Mar 18, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Solid build , high iso capability , flash , fps
Cons:
weight with grip , iso button , not worth the price , nikon lenses

Great build quality , dont know whether its because I am using kit lens 24-120 but I dont think this camera takes any better pictures than my Canon 450d . Will be getting better lens so hopefully will get better . crazy position of iso button . This camera forces you to take your left hand from under the lens and use the buttons on the left hand side ....very annoying . To change the batteries you have to take the grip off ...crazy . So far not living up to the hype

Mar 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Skyehigh to your Buddy List
dieseldavey

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Mar 8, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Feels solid
Cons:
Way to expensive

The D700 is good but to me not worth the extra I paid for the D300. If I had the choice again I wouldn't be in such a rush to change. I have the 24-70 lens with this camera and get good results but feel it,s all to expensive

Mar 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dieseldavey to your Buddy List
muskokaphotog

Registered: Mar 3, 2009
Review Date: Mar 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent noise, versatile and intuitive functions, fast, good build to weight compromise, excellent file quality, super fast with the grip, great little flash for commander mode, excellent screen and lcd.
Cons:
Not 24mp.

IMHO, this camera is slightly over priced. Otherwise, it is a great value. I had a D3 and sold it due to the weight. I kept losing circulation in my neck! The D700 is everything the D3 is in a smaller body. The little pop up flash is so handy for the creative flash capabilities. With the grip, you almost have the speed of a D3. The file noise is so low it is amazing what you can pull out of shadows. My only beef with that is the shadows sometimes seem artificially clean. I would definitely buy a second if I weren't expecting a D700x to come out. Don't let anyone fool you, the Canon 5D is OLD by comparison. I suspect the MKII produces no better images than the D700, despite the pixel bragging rights. I bought a used 5D for fun and I felt I had stepped back at least two years in technology. The D300 is simply an aps version of the D700 with a few tweaks missing.

Mar 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add muskokaphotog to your Buddy List
miskelly

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Review Date: Mar 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: great build ,af system ,iso range,very good configurable menue ,8fps with grip,built in flash
Cons:
throw away the strap!,no software included.

This i feel is the best priced/feature set full frame camera out there at the moment ,until 18 months or so ago canon with the exclusive use of the cmos sensor was way ahead .now that nikon are using this technology,this wins over any noise issues from old, hands down . after 18 years of using canon & the last 3 with a 5d & L glass here are my thoughts & reasons for choosing this camera/system rather than the new 5dmk11 /canon .
much better build with faster a.f than canon ,unless you make wallpaper size prints 12mp is all you need . super configurable,ability to program buttons for fast response,built in flash very handy for use as a controller for sb 800 / 900 & a very hand fash when out & about (although a would also buy the excellent sb 400 for the built in tilt head for 99 ) 5 fps very good & with the grip 8fps is all you will ever need. new lenses like the 24 70 2.8 & 14 24 2.8 are some of the best glass for slr use around as i feel canon will need some new glass to cope with so much resolution. nikon flash system far better than canon 580ex11,so easy to get results 1st time every time.

now that both canon & nikon have put up there prices there is no difference ,but this is a minor point as they both cost too much!!

points i dont like- why do all camera makers give you such a crappy strap!!-throw away & buy an op tech for 17 to make your camera feel 1/2 its weight. nikon nx2 software not included,but rubbish anyway. canon software good & comes free

overall very happy with my choice .but this full frame lark means the price of the camera body is just the start of your expense- so you may be better of with dx/efs.

Mar 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add miskelly to your Buddy List
rk-d

Registered: Feb 25, 2009
Review Date: Feb 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Peerless noise performance. Excellent build quality. Buttons for almost everything. Pop up flash. Excellent Auto-ISO capability. Powerful AF. Responsive. Excellent image quality. Great DR - generous bandwidth for PP.
Cons:
Don't like placement of the ISO button. Nikon lenses have become expensive and no quality WA primes. No video. Sharpness not class leading (though still excellent). Tends to overexpose by 0.5eV

In the final analysis, this is the best camera on the market.

The build quality of this camera is second to none -- anyone who has ever picked up a Nikon will know. It's quite similar to a d300, but with a much larger pentaprism and substantially denser feel to it. The button layout is relatively logical, but I would have appreciated having the ISO button accessible with my right hand.

The Auto-ISO feature is leagues ahead of Canon. It's highly customizable and, given the impressive high ISO characteristics of this camera, has essentially changed the way I take photos. The images are truly clean up to 1600. Noise thereafter is highly controlled and largely luminescence, giving it a film grain, IMO. Absolutely fantastic, class leading noise characteristics.

Image resolution is very good -- 12 mpx is enough for me and I have no desire to manipulate 20mb NEF files. Sharpness is excellent, though a hair less resolute than the 5d I used to own. This is with pixel peeping and, for all practical purposes, negligible. This is especially true given the superior low light AF capability. Something as simple as an AF assist lamp really does help. I tend not to shoot moving subjects, so 51 AF points are more than I need, but having them makes composition much easier - no need to focus and recompose.

Only caveat I have is that Matrix Metering tends to overexpose by 0.5eV. Luckily this is consistent, and the camera allows you to fine tune exposure, so this has been easily resolved.

Video would be nice, but is not a deal breaker.

The biggest improvement I've noticed over the Canons, overall, is the feel of using this camera. Though the 5D made outstanding pics, using it for several hours became uncomfortable and I couldn't get over the cheap feel. The 5dMkII is better, but still not quite where it needs to be. The longer I use the Nikon, the more I enjoy it. Superior ergonomics, construction and image quality make this camera the clear winner.

Feb 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rk-d to your Buddy List
EltonTeng

Registered: Mar 20, 2005
Review Date: Feb 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,379.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Pro AF, low-noise high ISO (6400 is very usable), and yes, pop-up flash.
Cons:
non

The D700 is what the Canon 3D could've been. Instead, Nikon gain me as a customer by giving me what I wanted: pro-features (AF) and high IQ in a smaller body (compared to 1D or D3) at a pretty reasonable price point.

Feb 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EltonTeng to your Buddy List
PeepingTom

Registered: Aug 4, 2006
Review Date: Jan 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The shooter's dream machine; a near perfect DSLR body; get the grip!
Cons:
High priced Nikon lenses

This review is meant to help Canon shooters who are considering the Nikon D3 or D700. I agonized over this decision for more than one year, as it was not a wise financial decision, having the complete range of Canon's best lenses (esxcept 500F F4L). Here is why I chose the D700 instead of the 5D mark II:

1) fantastic ergonomics- dedicated buttons for all important settings including iso, white balance, image playback & magification, shooting speed, exposure compenation (instead of menu changes)

2) great tactile feel; you wil love to handle this body once you pick it up; everything feels right inclusing the grip; the Canon grip feels like it will wobble and come off anytime.

3) intuitive shooting design; after 10 years of using Canon bodies including AE, Elan, 10D, 20D, 1D mark 2N and 50D, I am still not sure of what goes where and have to carry a flashlight to see what I am doing in the dark. After 1 day of usijg the D700, I am sure of all the buttons and settings. What a great design!!!

4) Auto iso setting (set max iso to 6400, yes it is absolutely noise free!!! set minimum shutter to 1/30 and fire away. Canon, try and beat this)

5) Metering accuracy and exp compensation: I need to change exp comp on all my Canon bodies; Nikon D700 is much more accurate.

6) Flash system: no comparison between SB 900 system and EX 550

7) Auto focus response: almost as good as my Canon 1D mark II N; that is setting a VERY high standard

I can go on an on about every button and setting, but you need to take a few test shots to get the idea. I have kept a few of my Canon lenses and am shooting with both systems for now. Just in case Canon brings out a killer body in the future. For now, the D700 is the Best DSLR in the world for the money (please dont compare with a $ 7000 body).

Hope this helps those sitting on the fence Smile Yes, get the Grip, it makes a lot of difference for vertical compositions.

Jan 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add PeepingTom to your Buddy List
Peradam

Registered: Jan 25, 2009
Review Date: Jan 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: High ISO performance, build quality, full frame, clean pixels, pro feature set.
Cons:
Size, weight, price. It will force you to re-evaluate the performance of your lenses when shooting full frame.

My biggest complaint is the size and weight of this beast. Not the most amenable to backpacking and trekking, unless you're happy with one or two lenses. Otherwise, great build quality and ergonomics. With the introduction of the D3x and possibly a D700x, I predict that there will be more complaints about lens performance and quality control. As these cameras approach medium format quality, lenses will have to follow and with very few exceptions, I don't see that happening. I would be willing to pay double or triple for a lens that performs as well as my Mamiya 6 or 7 lenses. One can only hope.

Jan 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peradam to your Buddy List
bdickers

Registered: May 23, 2003
Review Date: Jan 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 14 bit color depth. Fully customizable. Low light capability. Size and outstanding build quality.
Cons:
None yet..

The images produced by this camera coupled with a proper lens, are the most film-like I've yet seen from a digital camera. The D700 is built like a tank and handles like a Porsche. Fast accurate and precise, this state-of-the-art Nikon is quite simply, fantastic!

Jan 12, 2009