Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

52 181331 Jun 27, 2013
efs55-250_f4is_586x225_1_

This telephoto zoom lens is designed with Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer technology while retaining compactness and lightness, in response to demands of photographers. This high zoom ratio lens is equivalent to a focal length of 88-400mm in the 35mm format (when used on Canon EOS cameras compatible with EF-S lenses), and the image stabilizer effect equivalent to a shutter speed about 4 stops faster than the same size lens without Image Stabilizer. In other words, if the slowest shutter speed you could formerly hold a 250mm lens steadily was 1/250th of a second, with Canon's 4-stop stabilization correction, you could hand-hold at shutter speeds as slow as 1/15th of a second. It also uses a UD-glass lens element to correct chromatic aberration for excellent image quality throughout the zoom range. This new EF-S telephoto lens with great features delivers excellent performance at an affordable price for all photographers.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 55-250mm f/4-5.6

Lens Construction: 12 elements in 10 groups, including one UD-glass element

Diagonal Angle of View: 27 50'- 6 15' (with APS-C image sensors)

Focus Adjustment: DC motor, gear-driven (front focusing design)

Closest Focusing Distance: 3.6 ft./1.1m (maximum close-up magnification 0.31x)

Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 2.8 in. x 4.3 in./70 x 108mm (maximum lens length); 13.8 oz./390g

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4

Harold Carlson

Registered: Jun 5, 2007
Review Date: May 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $269.99 | Rating: 8

Pros: lightweight, compact, price, nice & big zoom ring, IS
Cons:
vignetting at 250mm, can be soft at 250mm for objects not close, plastic

This lens is quickly becoming my favorite. I really like the range and the fact it has IS. The focus speed is decent but obviously not super quick. Image Quality is good but not excellent, especially at 250mm wide open. I have also noticed some vignetting at 250mm wide open.

The IS works great and is really quiet! I hand held a shot indoors for 1.3s!

Mine says Made in Malaysia (for those that care).

It takes 58mm filters which are pretty common and cheap. Though the front element rotates during zooming and focusing, so using a CPL filter would be a challenge.

I would call this lens the perfect budget and/or travel zoom lens. I think it already has a good niche. The main question people will ask is if they should get this lens, the 70-300mm IS or the 70-200mm f4L.

May 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Harold Carlson to your Buddy List
jamesgott

Registered: Feb 7, 2008
Review Date: May 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: I just bought this lens as my first IS lens. I have only had it now for like 15 hours, and I think I am in love with the image stabilization. It is such a luxury. I am no professional photographer, but this works well.
Cons:
The only thing that worries me is that it is totally plastic, just like the kit lens.

Hopefully I will continue to have good things to say about this lens after I have owned it for a month or so, but like I said, I have owned it now for less than a day, and I haven't had the opportunity yet to get out and fully put it to the test. So far though, it seems like a terrific lens for the price.

I was trying to find the best price at a b&m store because I had a mix of amex gift cards and cash. Wolf camera actually had the best price on it at 299.99, but none of the stores around me had it in stock. I went to circuit city (which actually has a pretty nice selection for this enthusiast market) and they had it for 330. I asked nicely for them to price match the advertisement I had for wolf camera, and they accepted.

May 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jamesgott to your Buddy List
thadm

Registered: May 26, 2008
Review Date: May 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Small weight and size, excellent IQ, good IS, value for money
Cons:
rotating front element, no FTM, no distance scale

It may sound odd, but this lens replaced my 70-200 F4L non-IS. Though excellent, I didn't use it that much. Too bulky and missing IS. The 55-250 was a nice surprise and I don't feel I've made a great step down regarding IQ. And I'll probably use it a lot, because of the size, the IS, and the good zoom range.
AF a bit slow, but accurate. Great value for money ...
Resized example: http://www.nakskov-gym.dk/thtest/Indrefjord_gaes.jpg

May 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add thadm to your Buddy List
Alek Komarnits

Registered: May 3, 2007
Review Date: May 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $270.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, small size, cheap price, good IS, great range, good IQ.
Cons:
It's fairly slow at F/5.6 on the long end, more than a bit of vignetting wide-open, non-USM focus ... but HEY, what do you expect for under $300!

I did a mini-review of the 55-250 lens and you can see some sample images.

This lens provide a heck of a bang for the buck. Sure, it's not a 400-F/2.8 ... but it's a LOT lighter, smaller, and cheaper. I have mine attached to a 40D and it makes a fairly compact package that I can easily take most places and end up getting pictures like a Dog chasing a Coyote away on casual walks.

I'd recommend getting the ET-60 Lens Hood which fits quite nicely on this and for a whopping total of $300, you have a 100-400IS (actually 88) on your crop camera that will take some great pictures and

May 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alek Komarnits to your Buddy List

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS