Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX Nikkor

12 35047 Jun 1, 2014
8.0
18-55VR

3x zoom lens covering the most frequently used focal range of 18 to 55mm (picture angle is equivalent to focal length from 27 to 82.5mm in Nikon FX-format camera or 35mm-format camera)

Vibration Reduction enables sharper pictures while shooting at shutter speeds up to three stops slower than would otherwise be possible

Hybrid aspherical lens element minimizes lens aberration

Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation

0.28 m/0.9 ft. closest focus distance throughout the entire zoom range

Disc0chef

Registered: Jun 1, 2014
Review Date: Jun 1, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Good image quality across zoom range, sharp, covers med wide angle to 70mm field of view on DX
Cons:
Cheap build quality, plastic, focus ring in back of zoom ring, distortion

This is a fine kit lens for the masses, and for many it will be their first DSLR lens. As such, the lens performs more than adequately and will deliver photos far better than those of the pocket camera many will be coming from. The sharpness is excellent, and I have read many reviews of professional lenses which refer back to these kit lenses b/c they are so sharp and have a nice contrast to them.

Jun 1, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Disc0chef to your Buddy List
oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Jan 10, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: This little lens is surprisingly good compare to the price, especially at the wide end
Cons:
build quality is not the best

If your budget only allows this lens don't be discouranged this is a very good lens especially at the wide end. Sharp, silent focusing and vr are nice features for this price. According to me the wide end is better than the wide end of the 18 105.

See in more detail at:

Jan 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
stgermaine

Registered: Dec 8, 2010
Review Date: Dec 23, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $110.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Pretty sharp, good value, VR, Autofocus with pretty much all Nikon DSLR. Aside from plastic mount, the quality seems decent. No loose or rattling parts.
Cons:
Plastic mount.

This is a great starter lens. If you pair this up with a telephoto lens, you've got yourself a complete set at a reasonable price. The build quality is good and I can take pretty good pictures with this on my D40. If you're a beginner, go for this lens. VR is a nice touch when exposure times get longer.

Dec 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stgermaine to your Buddy List
fusionphoto

Registered: Apr 16, 2005
Review Date: Sep 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast focus,lightweight
Cons:
Plastic mount

This is an excellent little walkaround lens that gives good performance and sharpness plus VR. It all plastic but seems reasonably put together but I don't really like plastic mounts but for the price of this one I can forgive it.

Recommended...

Sep 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fusionphoto to your Buddy List
BudinAk

Registered: Mar 13, 2006
Review Date: Jun 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, light-weight, well engineered & designed, SHARP, smooth operating zoom, VR works very well, silent AF, excellent fit and finish
Cons:
Plastic mount

This little lens is a GEM! It is so small and light-weight. Hard to believe a kit lens can be this good; it is pretty amazing. It is plenty sharp, and I really like how smooth the zoom ring operates...there is none of the "stickiness" like that of the competing Canon 18-55 IS. (Yes, I have both) Look at and compare both these lens side-by-side and handle them both. You'll see the Nikon is the better-made of the two. The Nikon engineers have done an outstanding job designing this one. It may be plastic, but it is not "cheap". Inexpensive, yes, but not cheap...there is a difference. The fit and finish is excellent: there is virtually no "slop" in the movement of the barrel or zoom ring. The AF is plenty fast, I have never had it "hunt" on me, and it's dead silent...you can't hear it at all. If I ever break this lens, I'm going to go right out and get another one just like it...for the price you just can't go wrong. GET ONE!

Jun 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BudinAk to your Buddy List
Richard H. Kra

Registered: Apr 26, 2007
Review Date: Apr 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $189.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, light weight, sharp, sharp, Nice Bokeh.
Cons:
None really, other than plastic

I feel badly for the users who gave this lens a 3 and a 5 rating. It seems obvious they simply received bad copies. I have owned more than 12 of Nikon's highest quality lens's. I believe this lens, especially considering price, is an absolute winner. For, the most part, I use it as my carry lens. And I find it does Great Macro work. Don't let anyone fool you! If you get a good copy, you will not be disappointed with the performance of this Great Kit Lens. I, also, own the non-VR version and I see little difference, if any, except maybe $100 less in cost. Very difficult to beat this "little baby" for the money.

Apr 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Richard H. Kra to your Buddy List
Nikonart

Registered: Apr 12, 2004
Review Date: Oct 28, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $159.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Cheap
Cons:
You get what you pay for

I must have gotten a very bad copy from B&H (white box).

I received at noon, did roughly 20 shots at the apertures it's supposed to shine (f8 ~ f11) and beyond - the results were terrible - the same shots taken with my 18-35mm, which is not that good, looked great next to the 18-55mm VR.

Returned it within a few hours.

Oct 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nikonart to your Buddy List
william Graham

Registered: Jul 29, 2006
Review Date: Aug 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, Sharp from F8. VR really works
Cons:

You can buy this lens for as little as £110. This is not a pro built lens, It is an absolute bargain though. It does have a plastic mount but these have been around for a lot of years now and seem to have stood the test of time. As long as you don't carry your camera around by the lens or take it to extreme weather I can't see any problems. Because of the VR you can take pictures with this lens that would be impossible to get with most other nikkos no matter how much you pay. This also goes for the 55-200 VR another bargain.

Aug 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add william Graham to your Buddy List
Marsupilami

Registered: Apr 9, 2004
Location: Austria
Review Date: Jun 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: small, lightweight, cheap, VR
Cons:
will wear out fast (plastic bajonett) Not as sharp as I hoped for

This lens should only work as an backup lens on my D 300 backup body. I do all my pictures with the D3 and 14-24 and 24-70.
I was a little dissapointed that even at f11 this lens cannot deliver the same sharpness as the 24-70. it is clear that at open apertures this would be foolish to hope for but the difference is quite big. So again - you get what you paid for.
With the 12 Mp sensors this lens is not very good but usable.

Jun 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Marsupilami to your Buddy List
WazzoTheMartia

Registered: May 29, 2008
Review Date: Jun 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, incredible sharpness, lightweight, SWM, VR.
Cons:
Nothing serious but: not razor sharp in corners at f/5.6, autofocus a little slow.

Now listen guys. This is a wonderful lens, but you can't give it 10/10!
If you give this kit lens 10, where is the headroom for a lens that is better?
Be realistic, it's not completely perfect, it does have a few small flaws.

Having said that however, I can't quite believe that this lens is as good as it actually is. After all, it's only a KIT lens!!!
I compared it to the Canon 18-55 IS kit lens and also the Canon 50mm f/2.8 prime, (both well regarded).
Check out the pictures on my review page: http://warrenmars.com/pictures/camera/nikon_18_55/review.htm

As you can see this little gem has TOTALLY SMOKED the opposition from Canon including the prime!!!
Hard to believe really. And the contrast and colour look perfect to me.
And the lens has a lovely quiet SW motor. And it has an effective image stabilisation mechanism. And it's light. And it's cheap!!!
Is there anything wrong with this wonder???

Well yes! I am being picky of course, and really none of these nits are going to worry anyone in reality. However there needs to be a little room left for the lens that really is perfect.
- The autofocus is a little slow. This is not enough to worry me, but if you expect focus to rack from close up to infinity in half a second this lens will disappoint.
- The lens feels good straight out of the box with firm zoom, but it starts to loosen up pretty quickly. Only time will tell how it stands up to constant use.
- It won't open up to f/2.8 (der... can't you read the label).
- It's not absolutely razor sharp at f/5.6, especially in the corners, (still very good though).
- The sub f/5.6 apertures are mostly a waste of time. They soften badly away from the centre and only really exist from 18mm-24mm.

Check my review page for the test images for focal field positioning and full field sharpness.

So there it is. A really great lens at an bargain price. Well it ought to be unbelievable that a kit lens could be as good as, or better than, a prime, but here's the proof. If you want a wideish lightweight daytime walk-around lens I suspect you can't do better than this no matter how much you pay. I haven't bought a Nikon prime (yet), but it's hard to believe it could be noticeably better at f/8 than this little gem.

Of course indoors and at night, f/5.6 simply isn't fast enough, so this is not the great all purpose wide angle solution. Sure, you know that already, but I am just trying to inject a note of reality into the assessment of this lens.

If you don't have an image stabilised wide angle zoom, get it.
If you are about to buy a Nikon camera for the first time, make sure you get this as your kit lens, it's a ripper!

Jun 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add WazzoTheMartia to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: May 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: • Sharpness • Clarity • Contrast • Range • Cost
Cons:
• None

Unbelievable, even on a Nikon D2x. There's no reason not to own this lens. It may not last as long as the better-built Nikons, but it will give you exceptional results in the meantime. The IQ from this lens really came as a big surprise to me. 'Nuff said.

May 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List
Vole

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: May 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A miracle. See review.
Cons:
None at all.

First off I'd like to list the (Canon) kit I've had in the past.

-----------------------------

Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens (my first lens with the 300D)

17-40mm f/4L

EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

24-70mm f2.8L

70-200mm (both the f/4L and f/2.8L non-IS)

Canon 50mm f/1.4

300D

20D and 30D

5D

------------------------------

I had all that around 2 years ago, but had to sell the lot because I couldn't justify it on my CC!

Anyway, you know how it is... Spring comes around and you get that expensive bug we call Photography. I bought a Nikon D60 18-55mm VR kit with an absolute PROMISE to myself that I wouldn't get carried away like I did the last time.

Well I've no need to worry.

The Review:

All that expensive Canon glass. Surely, ANY low-end lens is going to be less-than-impressive in comparison? Not this one!

The 18-55mm VR has really knocked me sideways! I knew that Nikon made good glass, but blimey, this is a kit lens!

This lens is sharp across all focal lengths and apertures But it wasn't only the sharpness that got me - it was the contrast.

It kicks the Canon 18-55mm kit lens all over - no contest there. But that's not all; image-quality wise, it easily stands up with Canon's best L-glass. (no... YES!)

If I was to tell you that this Lens gives me nicer out-of-the-camera images than the 17-40mm 'L' ever gave me, you'd laugh right? Well, it does, even when viewed at 100%! And with LESS CA, too.

The VR is nice, but this is one area I get the feeling it's not quite as good as Canon's IS. Not that it doesn't do the job, just not quite as well as IS.

Build-quality is surprising, with a nice smooth zoom ring and hardly any front element 'wobble' at all. Feels very stable in the hand.

So I'm well pleased. For the money (practically free as a kit) this lens is a little miracle, and I won't be looking to upgrade any time soon.

For the price, it gets an overall 10. Build score: 9.

Get one!