Tokina 35mm f/2.8 AT-X M35 PRO DX

Diaphragm Blades: 9
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 43 degrees
Focus Details: One-Touch Focus Clutch mechanism
Front Element Rotation: ?
Zoom System: n/a
Closest Focus: 0.14m / 5.5 in.
Magnification Ratio: 1.0x / 1:1
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 60.4mm x 73.2mm / 2.38 in. x 2.88 in.
Weight: 340g / 12 oz.
Notes: Available AF Mounts: Canon and Nikon Digital APS-C Only; Included Accessories: SH522 Lens hood

victoriae

Registered: Sep 13, 2009
Review Date: Aug 22, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, Weight, Cost, Macro
Cons:
Noisey AF, Only fits APS-C cameras

I bought this lens for a Canon 500d body that i bought just for general use. I have a 1d MK2 and Mk3 plus a 5D MK2. I also have the Canon L series, 180mm Macro and the 100mm is Macro. I think for the price this is a very good lens which produces very good quality images with only a little CA, for the money superb. Has the added advantage of being a macro lens very useful and as a macro lens not in the same leauge as the Canons the 180 is the best, but overall excellent.
Don't find the AF/Man focus ring a problem to use. Recc this to anyone

Aug 22, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add victoriae to your Buddy List
Antje

Registered: Aug 18, 2002
Review Date: Jun 22, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, 1:1 macro, focal range gives "wider" macro look, sharp, good colours, not a lot CA
Cons:
Noisy AF, of course neither IS nor USM, AF/MF clutch, plasticy (but still trustworthy)

I bought this lens to complement my Canon 100/2.8 L IS USM, the MP-E, and the 100-400 with 500D diopter I normally use for macro. I wanted the slightly wider, more 50ish look of this lens, and it really delivers... The perspective is noticeably wider compared to 100mm, which presents you with a different set of options. You can now show animals within their environment, or for instance flowers plus their surroundings.

What I love about this lens is obviously the excellent image quality. Already at 2.8, the lens is very sharp, shows very little CA, and delivers good colours. The focus, though slow and noisy, is quite snappy and actually focuses on what I want (using a Canon 7D). I'm not too fond of the clutch mechanism for changing AF and MF, but I can live with that.

On top of that, the lens is very small and light, so it basically comes along on every trip. It's just a no-brainer.

If you consider buying this lens as your first macro lens, please keep in mind that many insects don't really like being approached this close - you're almost touching the subject at 1:1. When starting out, or when you focus on insects (excuse the pun), a longer lens would be a better choice.

Jun 22, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Antje to your Buddy List
jasonpatrick

Registered: Jul 8, 2010
Review Date: Feb 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp! even wide open, macro ability, "normal" lens on crop camera
Cons:
2.8 not fantastic for a prime, buzzy AF

I picked this up sort as a compromise to use on my Canon 40D. I have a 17-40mm f/4 a 70-200mm f/4 and several 50mmish primes, but I really wanted something faster than the f/4 in a walk around range. All my lenses have been Canon except for some older manual focus primes.

My primary use for this lens was going to be indoor-walk around type. I have the 17-40 for outdoor stuff, and 50mm's and the 70-200 for portraits, but I needed something I could put on my camera when I'm inside that would give me decent isolation but be fast enough (the 17-40 isn't). 50mm is too long...so the hunt began.

I tried the EF 28mm 2.8, and while the IQ was decent, the poor quality and the ridiculous sound it makes when focusing (loudest of any lens I've ever used) was a deal breaker. I liked the EF 24mm 2.8 but that was a bit to wide. I settled on the 35mm 2.0 from canon. I started looking used and ran across this lens for 200 bucks. I figured I'd give it a try, giving up half a stop for the ability to shoot macro (I didn't have a macro, and that was next on the list).

I'm impressed. I do a lot of buying and selling lenses and other stuff, and the ability to get close to do detailed product photography was something I was hurting for. This lens totally fills that need. It comes out to a 56mm equivalent on a 1.6 crop, so it fills the "normal" prime range for me. While 2.8 isn't awesome for a prime, it's good enough with the ISO capabilities of newer DSLR cameras. The build quality is great, and the IQ is fantastic.

If you really want to focus on macro photography, get something longer (EF-S 60mm or the 100mm macro). You have to get CLOSE for true macro work with this lens. 1:1 comes in right around the front plane of the lens. You're basically touching whatever you're trying to photograph. If you're a stamp person or something else that doesn't move, this can work fine, or if you really only need something that can get closer then the normal 1:4 or so.

It does tend to underexpose a bit and the auto-focus gives you a low buzzing sound (less then the 50mm 1.8). 2.8 isn't always optimal for indoor photography, but if you can live with that stuff you'll have a super flexible lens that can serve several purposes.

I couldn't be happier with this lens.

Feb 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jasonpatrick to your Buddy List
iiclarenceii

Registered: Jan 24, 2011
Review Date: Feb 8, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $279.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid barrel, excellent center of image quality, very good and sharp IQ at the corners of the frame (except @ max aperture). Accurate auto focus. Beautiful Bokeh.
Cons:
Noisy and Slow auto focus.

The auto focus is slightly slow (acceptable) and also makes a slight noise zip, but the optical performance compensates for this, BIG TIME...It brings sharp pictures, consistent output, very durable, easily interchangeable, accurate auto-focus, lightweight, very nice bokeh, well built / quality. Good Job Tokina!

Feb 8, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add iiclarenceii to your Buddy List
JaronRH

Registered: Oct 15, 2010
Review Date: Oct 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, great bokeh, excellent IQ, "normal" perspective on DX,Good build,AF/MF clutch,limiter switch
Cons:
DX only,AF/MF clutch can be easily bumped out of AF mode

Oct 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JaronRH to your Buddy List
Heliar

Registered: Jun 8, 2008
Review Date: Jun 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, Colour, Angle of view on DX sensor, nice bokeh, flare performance good, focus limiter can be useful.
Cons:
At 1:1 your subject is almost touching the front element! AF/MF clutch easy to knock from AF to MF and not notice, resulting in out of focus pics. Lens body plastic.

I got my copy from Japan, ahead of import into the UK, couldn't wait for the UK importer! Great lens apart from a couple of quibbles. The sharpness, colour saturation and bokeh are really good, it's a great walk around lens and the close focus distance is obviously really useful for general use. I wouldn't recommend it solely as a macro lens as the focal length is too short, when you're shooting at minimum distance, the lens can cast a shadow over your intended subject - it will be almost touching the front element! I'd rate it over the 35mm f/2 AFD nikkor, which I previously owned. At f/2.8 the Tokina has more contrast and the pics have more "bite" to them. Obviously the nikkor is better at f/2 Wink. Chromatic aberration is very minimal even in high contrast situations.

The downside is the focus clutch - it's easy to knock the lens and switch it to manual focus without noticing, and, if you're in a hurry or shooting candids, get a few pics out of focus until you notice and switch back to AF.

Jun 8, 2008