Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X 165 AF PRO DX SD

(Based on image circle): 82 to 31 degrees
Focus Details: Internal with One-Touch Focus Clutch mechanism
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 0.30m / 0.98 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.20x / 1:1.49
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 97.4mm x 84mm / 3.8 in. x 3.3 in.
Weight: 610g / 21.5 oz
Notes: Available AF Mounts: Canon, Nikon; Included Accessories: Lens Hood

niXer

Registered: Oct 6, 2010
Review Date: Mar 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Giant Manual Focus Ring, Excellent Build Quality
Cons:
CA that takes some time to fix in post.

I bought this lens as my first f/2.8 pro-zoom and my first lens that wasn't a Nikkor.

It was my work horse lens for over a year and I loved every moment of it. I never really heard of Tokina before but upon research saw they were founded by former Nikon engineers so I decided to take a chance on a 3rd party lens and I did not regret it.

This lens was/is??? hard to find but luckily I found it on eBay and got a really good deal on it. I absolutely loved the manual focus ring and how easy it was to go from MF to AF. It's giant and would probably be useful for VDSLR people.

It was also built like a tank and the IQ was pretty superb although now that I have a Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED, it does not compare.

But if you're on a budget this lens is an easy decision!

Sadly I broke this lens by dropping it 5 feet onto hard concrete. However no glass elements broke, just the aperture blades became misaligned. I probably would have kept it and would still be shooting it! But alas I'm back on Nikkor only.

Mar 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add niXer to your Buddy List
stromm

Registered: Jul 30, 2003
Review Date: Apr 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast and Accurate Focus Great Color Built like a Tank.
Cons:

Had to sell my 17-40 Canon needed the Money at the time. Had a Tokina 28-70 atx years ago and, it was one of the sharpest lenses I ever owned. Bought this to replace my 17-40L and never looked back.

Apr 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stromm to your Buddy List
Kent_Photo

Registered: Dec 11, 2003
Review Date: Jan 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: High image quality even wide open. Quick auto focus with nice manual override. Constant f2.8 in a rugged body. New price is midway between the Canon and Tamron alternatives.
Cons:
None really, as long as 2.8 is fast enough for conditions.

I have used this lens on 40D and 50D with great results for about 18 months. I watch out for camera tilt when taking people pictures at 16mm, but that is not a lens problem.

The colors and contrast are excellent. I rented a Canon 17-55 before I got this lens and it may have had a little higher image quality, but this one beats it for build and price. It is a little heavier, but not a whole lot. The finish on it will look good for many years, based on my experience with other Tokina lenses.

Jan 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kent_Photo to your Buddy List
dkmiles1

Registered: Nov 19, 2009
Review Date: Jan 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $549.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, solid, solid build quality, relatively quiet focus, relatively fast focus - is not the buzzsaw the Tamron 17-50 is, manual focus ring, constant 2.8 aperture....
Cons:
Low light focus tends to search a bit, heavy -

Build quality just doesn't get any better than this! I bought this lens because I have the Tokina 11-16mm which has just been stellar. This lens is sort of the 'red-headed step child' of the Tokina line-up and there aren't too many reviews out there. Not sure why, its an excellent lens and a great alternative to the Canon EFS 17-55 for the budget-challenged. Its priced between the Tamron and the Canon, but the Tamron's AF Motor sounds like a buzz-saw, so not very good during the wedding vows. Admittedly the Tokina is not as quiet as the ultrasonic in the Canon, but its virtually silent compared to the Tamron and not intrusive.

Tamron and Canon get all the headlines and attention in this focal range but the Tokina is certainly worth consideration if you don't have the budget. Build quality wise it is head and shoulders above both the Tam and the Can, optical quality wise it's just under the Canon and the same or slightly better than the Tamron.

This thing literally lives on my 7D and combined they're a great combination. A great deal for the money!

Jan 22, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dkmiles1 to your Buddy List
Don Olson

Registered: Sep 24, 2006
Review Date: Oct 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Weight, size, focusing ability. Colors and contrast are nicely rendered with my D1X. Much better built and more robust than the Tamron or Sigma counterparts. 77mm filter thread is a + for me at it matches my other nikkors. Operates smooth and nice with a good feel. Non-rotating front element.
Cons:
Barrel extension may be an off for some but doesn't bother me. Some vignetting at 2.8 and wide but is easily corrected in PPing as is some barrel distortion.

I think I bought the first one off of B&H's shelf over a year ago before anything was written about it. At the time I needed something in this focal range but I couldn't afford the Nikkor 17-35 and didn't want the 17-55 and Tamron and Sigma weren't in the running.
I glad I got this as it has been a very good lens and I have had it twice now. I was able to get the 17-35 that I wanted and sold this to a photographer friend. With health and financial issues I bought it back from him and use it extensively.

Oct 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Don Olson to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Sep 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, generally quick AF that is accurate on a D300. Simple mechanism for manual focus. Works decently in lower light. Great close focus distance and resulting image quality. Lighter and smaller than my 17-55 Nikon.
Cons:
The only thing that I find a con on this lens would be the simple af to manual focus idea. It is quick and simple but that can mean on occasion you end up in manual focus and forget to go back to AF. Not a big deal, just a note.

I have used this in place of my Nikon 17-55 for reasons of liking the smaller form and weight.

It goes that bit wider and has almost as good a quality of image. Really close. I like the colors it produces and it has good contrast.

The AF is sufficiently fast but not as quick as the 17-55, not quite.

The sharpness is what I have come to expect from this company in general. I know some people have had a bad copy, but I have not and am pretty picky about my glass.

Overall, if you want this range, I would get it before the Nikon counterpart if money and size are a in your equation. If you don't care about the weight and price, the Nikon still has a slightly (very IMO) better overall quality.

Sep 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
borisbg

Registered: May 15, 2008
Review Date: May 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, contrasty, well build, unexpensive
Cons:
extend too much when zooming

I purchased the lens six months ago to replace my kit lens Nikkor 18-70mm. The kit lens was good but kind of soft. I made a lot of pictures since then and I am very happy with the results. It focus fast and accurate, gives a good contrast. It performs well at F2.8. It is very good value for the money. I would recommend it to budget photographers like me.

May 16, 2008