Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX SD

65 140754 Jun 25, 2014
9.2
atx116

The new Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX is an ultra-wide angle lens with a fast f/2.8 aperture for better photography in low-light situations. Many photojournalists consider having an f/2.8 aperture a must for any lens in their camera bag.

Based on the award-winning optical design of the AT-X 124 PRO DX (12-24mm f/4) lens, the new AT-X 116 PRO DX has a slightly shorter zoom range to maintain optical quality at wide apertures.

Tokina’s exclusive One-touch Focus Clutch Mechanism allows the photographer to switch between AF and MF simply by snapping the focus ring forward for AF and back toward the camera to focus manually. There is no need to change the AF-MF switch on Nikon cameras** and there is no second AF/MF switch on the lens for Canon, everything is accomplished by the focus ring.

Mount availability: Canon and Nikon APS-C

Focal length: 11 - 16mm

Maximum aperture: f/2.8

Minimum aperture: f/22

Optical construction: 13 elements in 11 groups.

Coatings: Multi-layer

No. Aperture blades: 9

Lens length : 89.2mm

Lens Hood: BH-777

Weight: 560g

Accessories: Flower design Bayonet lens hood (BH77A)

mach250

Registered: Mar 22, 2008
Review Date: Sep 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $560.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast/Quiet AF, low distortion at 11mm on APS-C sensor, f/2.8
Cons:
limited zoom range but thats to be expected for its purpose.

I'm fairly new to DSLR's and lenses in general but this lens offers a very wide range with f/2.8 through and through unlike the 12-24 f/4 that tokina offers. VERY useful for nighttime landscapes or even during a sunset.

Sep 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mach250 to your Buddy List
Bahram Monshat

Registered: Jun 18, 2007
Review Date: Sep 8, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp ansd solid.
Cons:

I reported on June 19, 2008 about sharpness, and maybe decentering problem, wiht my first copy.
I am glad to report that the second copy is just working perfectly. I would rate the product 10/10 this time.

Sep 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bahram Monshat to your Buddy List
Jonathan Wong

Registered: Apr 21, 2007
Review Date: Sep 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $638.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp as prime. Affordable. Fast.
Cons:
Minimum focus distance could be closer. Short zoom range.

Sharpest fastest UWA for the APS-C of them all. What more do I need to say?

Sep 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jonathan Wong to your Buddy List
Ho1972

Registered: Dec 1, 2007
Review Date: Aug 14, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $570.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Solid (but incompetent) build, compact, 2.8 maximum aperture
Cons:
Apparently wide sample variation renders some copies unsuable, limited zoom range

The Ratings I gave are admittedly based on a flawed sample, but I can only judge what I have in front of me. The low Build Quality score is my indictment of a manufacturing process that could produce such an utterly useless lens.

The following review was originally posted in the Nikonians forum. I am reposting it here since I see no need to rewrite it. You may wish to view the original to see the image example.

-----------------------------------
I received my Tokina 11-16 (SN 8208793) on Friday of last week (Aug 8, 2008). I immediately went shooting and was initially pleased with the results, but most of those shots were taken in bright sun with apertures above 5.6. The following day I did some testing and my enthusiasm began to wane.

Using nothing more than the standard brick wall and my own "monument" test (white engraved text on a big slab of flat, black granite), I determined that the 11-16 had extreme corner softness and even center frame softness when shot wide open.

I continued on from the testing site to shoot some frames at a local winery. While there, I was forced by circumstance to use the 11-16 for some grounds shots. I took the opportunity to shoot a few frames for "real world" testing purposes. The Tokina fared no better here. This is the center frame of one of those shots (ISO 100; 11mm @ 2.8; tripod, timer release, 1/1600sec). Focus was taken on the Wine Shop sign:

**image here**

Further testing the following day produced similarly appalling results. There is no redemption for this lens.

The Tokina 11-16 (this copy, anyway) is unusable for its intended purpose and I am returning it. I will not audition another because of the lack of local availability—and because of the lack of availability in general. The process of ordering this lens online and then testing, rejecting, returning the lens and waiting for more to become available so the process can begin anew, is just too tedious and time consuming. I've decided to buy the 12-24 Nikkor and be done with it.

To Tokinia, I say: A zoom lens this limited in range should be nearly flawless, and manufacturing processes should not permit a sample like the one I tested to ever fall into a customer's hands.

Aug 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ho1972 to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Aug 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, fast and SHARP
Cons:

perfect on the D300 for wide, wide and more wide.

Aug 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
Artur100

Registered: Aug 4, 2008
Location: Poland
Review Date: Aug 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, apperture 2.8, lack of shadowing and vignetting, small distortion
Cons:
Worse sharpness at 2.8 outside centre especially to be seen at 11mm, CA (but easily corrected)

Aug 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Artur100 to your Buddy List
livcheng

Registered: Jul 9, 2008
Review Date: Jul 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $570.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality is great, good value for f/2.8 lens, tack sharp, includes hood
Cons:
Short zoom

This is my first ultra-wide lens and really enjoying it. I tried taking some shots indoors under poor lighting with okay results, but in good lighting, the lens is tack sharp. I haven't tried any of the competition, so I can't say how it compares to them. The build quality is superb, just like my friend's tokina 12-24.

Hopefully I'll get some great shots of Beijing and the Olympics in a few weeks.

Jul 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add livcheng to your Buddy List
tfoltz

Registered: Jul 7, 2008
Review Date: Jul 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $559.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack Sharp, Build Quality, f2.8, Price
Cons:
NONE

I read the reviews on this earlier in the year, I couldn't wait to get it even tried to get it early from Japan. My birthday rolled around in May received it as a present from my girlfriend, was not expecting it in the stores until June. Needless to say very happy with the lens. Unless you have a full sensor why pay more for less.

Jul 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tfoltz to your Buddy List
noenoe_pro

Registered: Oct 18, 2006
Review Date: Jul 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $570.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Fast, low distortion
Cons:

I actually amazed to the quality of this lens. I compared with 10-22 and 10-20 and it amazingly sharper!

Jul 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add noenoe_pro to your Buddy List
Chester Le

Registered: Mar 26, 2007
Review Date: Jul 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $569.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp and smooth focus ring
Cons:
short zoom range; DX only so can't use on D700

I LOVE this lens! It's sharper at 16 f2.8 on this lens than my Tamron 17-50 at 17 f4. The best thing about this is the focus is dead on every time. This lens would make me hesitate to upgrade to a FX body since I would have to find a replacement wide angle. Really, it's that good! I also wished they could have extend the long end out to 24mm and still keep the sharpness. I hear you can still use this lens at 16mm on a FX body. That would still be wider than 11mm on a DX.

Jul 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chester Le to your Buddy List
toguko

Registered: May 24, 2008
Review Date: Jul 5, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: f/2.8, cheap wide angle
Cons:
small zoom range, not sharp (see below)

I bought the lens and the same day I tested it taking architecture photos for my photography course. Here are some samples from that day:

I was very happy with the lens and my photos until I uploaded them on my laptop. I had a feeling that a lot of them where not sharp (the samples are the best that I took) so I did a big test in my house. I found that in a big magnification even at f11 the images are not sharp. I went to the shop to replace it. We did another test with the seller. The more the tested, the more I was convinced that the lens is not sharp, and the seller convinced that it is sharp Smile Finally he was very happy to take it back (he didn't have the replacement) because the lens is very popular.

Another view of London:

Jul 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add toguko to your Buddy List
omarlyn

Registered: Feb 19, 2004
Review Date: Jun 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: SHARP WIDE OPEN (even on the edges), Relatively little distortion, CA easily corrected. SUPERIOR build quality.
Cons:
NONE

I had skipped over all the ultra-wide predecessors because either they weren't fast enough and/or sharp enough (based on fullsized posted images & reviews). The Tokina achieves BOTH these requirements by far! Sharpness is seen right from f2.8 and is carried into the edges and corners with excellent results! The trade-off is the smallest zoom range of all the ultra-wides but I always intended to treat this lens as a prime, so the short zoom is not an issue and a no-brainer trade-off to gain higher IQ. Some have stated CA as a problem in this lens but I have yet to notice it at 'normal' viewing distances in 11x14 images. Never-the-less, CA is easily corrected in PP. Distortion is relatively small and better than most at this range. Flare would be the only concern based on sample images but I have yet to see a 'flare issue' on my images. Build quality is typical Tokina 'tank' style...very robust feeling with smoth zoom & MF rings. Over-all, if you don't mind the short zoom range, this is the best ultra-wide available for 1.6 cropped cameras. Competively priced with the Sigma's, Tamron, & even the other Tokina....and considerably less than the Canon. It would be interesting to see if the edge sharpness that the lens achieves would carry-over on a FF sensor at the 16mm setting....however, that would be the subject for another review.

Jun 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add omarlyn to your Buddy List
Bahram Monshat

Registered: Jun 18, 2007
Review Date: Jun 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Excellent Build Quality
Cons:
My copy: AF was not accurate. Pictures did not seem sharp even in MF mode, even in the Viewfinder!

Returned the lens after less than two weeks. Currently awaiting a replacement to arrive.

Jun 19, 2008
jirok12944

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Jun 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, contrast, build, price, f/2.8
Cons:

absolutely happy with the lens. sharp and contrast wide open. focus quick and accurate. robust build.

* noticeable border distortion at 11mm
* CA wide open (easy fixable)

Jun 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jirok12944 to your Buddy List
Hillmont

Registered: May 25, 2008
Review Date: May 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Build, Price
Cons:

I've had the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 for just over 2 weeks, it's tac sharp right from f2.8, build quality is superb with a very smooth zoom ring.

I paid £400 which for an f2.8 UWA lens of this quality is a steal.

Used on a Nikon D300

May 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hillmont to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: May 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $570.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid Build, very nice zoom and focus rings, top quality IQ, constant 2.8, hood included
Cons:
none so far

I was excited about getting an UWA and after careful consideration, I selected the Tokina 11-16. The Canon 10-22 didn't have the build, the constant 2.8 or the IQ of the Tokina - and cost a premium as well. Not to mention no hood.

That said, the Tokina has not disappointed. Fast, accurate AF with excellent IQ from wide-open. As some have said on the forums, this isn't so much a zoom (with the limited range) as a 2.8 prime with several focal lengths!

May 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX SD