Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX SD

64 136196 Oct 11, 2013
9.2
atx116

The new Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX is an ultra-wide angle lens with a fast f/2.8 aperture for better photography in low-light situations. Many photojournalists consider having an f/2.8 aperture a must for any lens in their camera bag.

Based on the award-winning optical design of the AT-X 124 PRO DX (12-24mm f/4) lens, the new AT-X 116 PRO DX has a slightly shorter zoom range to maintain optical quality at wide apertures.

Tokina’s exclusive One-touch Focus Clutch Mechanism allows the photographer to switch between AF and MF simply by snapping the focus ring forward for AF and back toward the camera to focus manually. There is no need to change the AF-MF switch on Nikon cameras** and there is no second AF/MF switch on the lens for Canon, everything is accomplished by the focus ring.

Mount availability: Canon and Nikon APS-C

Focal length: 11 - 16mm

Maximum aperture: f/2.8

Minimum aperture: f/22

Optical construction: 13 elements in 11 groups.

Coatings: Multi-layer

No. Aperture blades: 9

Lens length : 89.2mm

Lens Hood: BH-777

Weight: 560g

Accessories: Flower design Bayonet lens hood (BH77A)

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

Mike Mahoney

Registered: Mar 8, 2004
Review Date: May 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great optics, build, and price. Fast aperture.
Cons:
CA and flare.

I'd read all the major glowing reviews like Photozone who concluded "The Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX is currently the best ultra-wide angle zoom lens for Canon EOS APS-C DSLRs"

Pretty heady stuff so I decided to get one and see what all the fuss was about. Now I see.

Image quality is superb, except some CA which is an easy fix in post-processing.

Sharp, sharp, sharp right through to the extreme corners. I've owned the Canon 10-22 and the Sigma 10-20 and the Tokina is sharper throughout the range than either.

Handy to have the 2.8 aperture for some types of work.

Build quality is top notch, and price is very competitive .. Tokina has quite simply hit a home run with this lens.

It does tend to flare somewhat, but so does the Sigma .. the Canon is best for flare performance. I do like the higher number of aperture blades versus the Sigma .. makes nicer (and more) star points when shooting straight into a light source when stopped down.

Overall I agree with what everyone else says .. a standout lens at a bargain price.

May 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike Mahoney to your Buddy List
sankeycottage

Registered: Jun 29, 2008
Review Date: May 2, 2009 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Solid feel - good range - easy to switch from af to manual - IF you can get a good copy!
Cons:
The 11-16mm has problems which are widely known, namely - failure to maitain close focus and at 16mm overexposes!

The Tokina 11-16mm could have been a very good lens but too many of them are proving to be faulty. I returned 3 lenses and then gave up. They struggle to maintain a focus lock between 2-5 metres and tend to default to infinity. If you take a photo at 11mm it is ok but when you zoom to 16mm it overexposes by 2 stops! It did this with both my D90 and D3x, all my other lenses are fine. Photo review sites all full of comments on these issues. In future I will stick to quality Nikkors and not sub-standard and cheap 3rd party lenses!

May 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sankeycottage to your Buddy List
luddify

Registered: Mar 26, 2009
Location: Samoa
Review Date: Mar 26, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, sharp sharp! Good build quality
Cons:
Flare and CR

Really all that people have said. Stunning sharpness, great build - just feels solid. Flare is something of a problem even for shots not including a light source. Really bad Blue/Yellow CR, but easily correctible in PP. Highly recommended and a bargain at the price.

Mar 26, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add luddify to your Buddy List
Sensor

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Feb 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Great Build Quality, Great Color
Cons:
I did not buy it sooner

Just got this lens today after much research looking at the Sigma 12-24 and Canon 10-22. Very close call between this and the Canon. Went for this due to f2.8 and (reported) slightly better sharpness across the Zoom range. From my initial tests in Store and at Home the Tokina does seem to have better sharpness and it seems to work well on my 40d. If you like Wide - Buy it!

Feb 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sensor to your Buddy List
ride5000

Registered: Feb 19, 2008
Review Date: Feb 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: wide, fast, good price, sharp
Cons:
mf clutch doesn't disengage completely; apparently an issue on some canon mount models

peruse my gallery of shots with this lens--it's as good a review as any:

i've been almost PERFECTLY happy with this lens.. the only issue is the slightly-still-engaged MF clutch when in AF position, and that's only noticeable when close-focussed. from what i see on line it appears to only be an issue with the canon mounts, since the direction of the focus helix is opposite the nikon version.

other than that, the zoom and focus rings have good smooth travel and the lens is very good optically. i actually LIKE flare, so it's no con for me.

Feb 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ride5000 to your Buddy List
skulpt

Registered: May 25, 2008
Review Date: Jan 30, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp at 2.8 at the center, very sharp at 5.6 across the board
Cons:
Realllly bad flare in high contrast situations. Fair amount of CA

If you want a lens that goes wide with not much distortion that is sharp, this is a great lens. But the weird flare in some of the shots plus the CA make me hesitate a bit. This lens will probably go back, but more because I am moving to full frame. It's one of the sharpest lenses, but also offers some of the worst flare IMO as well. Pick your poison I guess. Smile

Jan 30, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skulpt to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Jan 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp (especially in the center), strongly built, f/2.8, affordable, delivered with sun hood, very nice to use
Cons:
systematic chromatic aberration, flare when shooting with lights or sunrays

Jan 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
Bobby Yarner

Registered: May 1, 2007
Review Date: Nov 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $570.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, lightweight, construction, distortion control.
Cons:
CA

I originally bought this lens when it first came and had a rather mixed experience. At the F/2.8 the lens was producing unusable, blurry images. At about F/5.6 it was dead on. I eventually returned the lens for a refund seeing how hard it was to get my hands on a replacement.

So, I waited. I purchased another and it is greatly improved. I'm not sure if it is sample variety or not--or if perhaps Tokina amped up its QC. But the lens is dead sharp all the way through.

I highly recommend this lens and if you get a lemon, return it and get another; it's worth it.

Nov 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bobby Yarner to your Buddy List
LeO78

Registered: Jul 23, 2008
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Nov 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Build Quality, color rendition, great feel and built, nice handling
Cons:
none so far

A real surprise for me. I have never seen this sharpness from an UWA lens before.

Center sharpness is outstanding even wide open, and stopping down some clicks pulls up the corners to this standard. My opinion is the limiting factor of resolution is the 8 mpix sensor on my 20d. The colors are neutral and nicely saturated. On a good sunny day using a polariser is pure joy.

Build is sturdy, but forget the older tokina's 'all-metal-and-glass' build here. Otherwise the plastic parts are well put together, the lens handling and using feels great, rings are moving smooth but not too easily. AF-MF switch is clever, just pulling back the focus ring makes MF, pushing forth makes AF.

AF is fast, accurate and moderately silent, although not hsm. Not a big deal.

Some other owners complains about CA and some flare, none of these were noticable in my photographing habits not to mention that newer bodies eliminate CA themselves and all raw converter offer nowadays some kind of CA removing methods.

Personally I have never had to use CA removal on my copy was absolutely negligible.

Now I have to learn how to use properly an UWA... Smile

Nov 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LeO78 to your Buddy List
dcharles

Registered: Jan 14, 2004
Review Date: Nov 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $530.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens; well-built; sharp; good saturation
Cons:
For the price, absolutely none

This lens is excellent and then some. Provided you get a sharp copy. Mine is very sharp, even at f2.8. This lens is superior to the 10-22 for a variety of reasons: build, constant 2.8 aperture, compatibility with 1.3X crop-factor cameras (though only at 14-16mm), price, and sharpness. The key, of course, is getting a sharp copy. It is a guarantee that the negative reviews here are from bad copies of this lens. I know what a sharp lens is (135L, 300 f2.8L, 500 f4L etc.), and believe me my 116 is sharp. You won't regret buying this lens. It is my only Tokina to date, and a definite winner.

Nov 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dcharles to your Buddy List
camapgia

Registered: Oct 21, 2008
Location: Vietnam
Review Date: Oct 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $530.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from f:2.8. Solid build, not so heavy. Focus speed.
Cons:
Short zoom range, better it's could be 20mm

I've waited for long time since it's announcement, and truly I am not disappointed with this lens.
Very solid build, impressive fucus speed and also image quality.

I am satisfied with what I paid.

Oct 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add camapgia to your Buddy List
lwrnclightner

Registered: Oct 2, 2008
Review Date: Oct 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $570.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Viberant color reproduction, Sharp,fast,accurate auto focus. Very nice construction, with very modern looking appearance.
Cons:
not the lens fault but it is designed for 1.6/1.5 crop sensors. ON a 1.3 is is only usable on the latter part of the zoom range.

I initially bought this lens for use on 1.6 crop cams, and it performs superbly. When I first viewed images I had to look twice because the sky was so saturated and the greens from trees and grass also that it reminded me of the effect from a circular polarizer. Then I followed one of my little ones while she did summersaults in AI servo. WOW! The lens did not miss a beat. I can see this one for wide shots on one of my 1d on the sidelines.

Speaking of on 1.3 crop sensors, anything under 15mm'ish shows where the glass does not cover the entire sensor, the corners and sides are vignetted out. But from 15-16 I basically have a ultra wide prime. Which will be used for what I had in mind when I set out to get this lens, which is interior scenes during weddings and functions. I wish I had this lens when I shot my first wedding, the church was so beautiful but the shortest lens I had at the time was my 24-70L which could not capture the entire scene.

To bad that I am a tight framer when shooting, and I have not gotten the landscape bug yet, cause this gem will not get its fair share of action. But I can see some city scapes in its future.

If you are in the market for a ultra wide. Look no further.

Oct 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lwrnclightner to your Buddy List
twistedlim

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Oct 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, well built
Cons:
none withn the limits of the lens

Initial impressions are the lens is as sharp as reported, as sharp as the canon 17-55 and 24-105. Focus is sharp and appears very ccurate. I will update after some additional time with real life situations but the initial tests and shots show it as the sharpest UWA for canon crop cameras.

Oct 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add twistedlim to your Buddy List
VinnyP

Registered: Oct 8, 2008
Review Date: Oct 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great image quality fast well built
Cons:
Narrow zoom range no AFs/HSM

I was able to get a friend to pick one of these up for me in Japan and I am glad he did. I have the Sigma 10-20 and it's a great lens but sometimes for interiors I'd like a faster lens. I had the nikon 12-24 in the past and got rid of it because I felt and indeed still do feel the Sigma is a better bet.

This lens is plenty sharp enough at 2.8 across the field of view and just gets sharper as you stop down until you hit diffraction.

The zoom ring is well weighted and the manual focus ring has enough travel. I like the push pull to swap from manual to AF but would prefer the full time override given by an AFS or HSM lens.

For the D3 I have the 14-24 and it's everything that it is cracked up to be, but for a DX camera this is the best out there at the moment and the 2.8 is icing on the cake.

Oct 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add VinnyP to your Buddy List
Fulcrum

Registered: May 23, 2008
Review Date: Sep 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness beyond f/4, gets wonderful images.
Cons:
Shortish zoom range.

What a piece of glass this is! Simply amazing and fun. Excellent sharpness and colour reproduction, almost no distortion.

This is probably the best UWA for crop sensor cameras on the market. I prefer this lens over the Canon 10-22mm, which feels like a plastic toy compared to this. Not to mention the image quality.

This is a keeper for me at least. My best lens so far.

The zoom range is a bit short. 11-24mm would be really handy. Then again, that would probably put a few hundred euros more on the price tag.

I got mine dirt cheap from HK new.

Sep 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fulcrum to your Buddy List
mach250

Registered: Mar 22, 2008
Review Date: Sep 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $560.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast/Quiet AF, low distortion at 11mm on APS-C sensor, f/2.8
Cons:
limited zoom range but thats to be expected for its purpose.

I'm fairly new to DSLR's and lenses in general but this lens offers a very wide range with f/2.8 through and through unlike the 12-24 f/4 that tokina offers. VERY useful for nighttime landscapes or even during a sunset.

Sep 10, 2008