Nikon 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR

27 66590 Jan 23, 2014
10.0
200f2

VR operation offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed 3 stops (eight times) faster.
Two VR modes are available; Normal and Active.
Four ED glass elements including one Super ED glass for a lower refractive index and reduced dispersion.
SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for quiet high-speed autofocus
M/A mode for quick switching between autofocus and manual focus operation.
Meniscus protective lens for reducing ghost reflection.
Focuses down to 1.9m (6.2 ft.)
Dust and Waterproof rubber sealing mount.

Filter Size 52mm Drop-In
f/Stop Range f/2-22
Minimum Focus Distance 6.2' (1.9 m)
Magnification 1:8.1
Angle of View 12
Tripod Collar Yes
Length 8" (203mm)
Maximum Diameter 4.9" (124mm)
Weight 6.4 lb (2.9 kg)
Usable Nikon Teleconverter TC-14E II, TC-20E II, TC-17E II

Page:  1 · 2

onetrack

Registered: Aug 20, 2007
Review Date: Jun 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp corner to corner, focus is lightning fast, VR works well, bokeh is incredible
Cons:
Heavy, expensive, mounting foot is too short (replace with RSS)

I bought new in early 2009 before the price hike. I do portraits and use it some in the studio and outdoors, I always look for ways to use it.

Handheld it's a back breaker if you do it too much. I'm an old guy so if your a weight lifter, they are all light. Short periods are fine.

If your photo is not sharp with this lens, you misfocused.

Get about 6 - 15 feet from your subject and the bokeh of the background is creamy smooth.

I only use my 70-200 zoom now at events when I have to shoot without moving my position.

I use the Think Tank Glass Taxi and I keep the lens shade on all the time now. It's actually a short lens so it will fit into smaller spaces if needed by reversing the shade. I recommend the RRS lens foot for this lens.

Jun 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add onetrack to your Buddy List
jordanwd

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: May 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I've had this lens for the last 2.5 years and it is by far the sharpest lens I own. Very fast and accurate af w/ the d3, d300, and d2x. Great colour, contrat and sharpness. Very sharp at f2 but I prefer f2.2 or f2.5 for ulltra crazy sharp images. The bokeah is buttery smoot with evan background blown highlites that just blend in and melt away . It is rather short and squaty and kind of ackward to hold for longer periods of time...i found having it attached to a monopod (w/ the mono completely colapsed) at all times makes using this lens more enjoyable. The VR and focus recall work very well. I have not tried it w/ tc's as i have the larger primes. This is an absolutely phenominal lens!
Cons:
pricey but you get what you pay for...

May 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jordanwd to your Buddy List
Mikey054

Registered: Apr 27, 2008
Review Date: Apr 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: What a cracker of a lens! I just love it. Even with a TC, the images are well beyond acceptable. I am very glad I bought it.
Cons:
Just a tad bit heavy for an old guy like me...but who cares!

I thought lomg and hard about buying this lens. I love shooting soccer and baseball, so I was wondering if the lens would be of a long enough focal length to acheive my goal.
I usually use a Sigma 300.2.8 AF with great results, so my expectations on this lens were obviously very very high.
I was not disappointed. Yes there are some limitations, but these were very minor. (Distance, angles, getting into the right position etc).

After a bit of adjusting, I was snapping away with confidence.
The images were excellent. Yep. I was one happy chappy!!!

Anyone want to buy a slightly used Sigma 300 2.8 AF?

Cheers

Apr 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mikey054 to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Apr 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly FAST! And sharp even wide-open, but perfect sharp just stopped down one stop!
Cons:
It's heavy, but stop being a whimp!

If you are into professional people photography and want good results, then look no further then this lens.

Here are some Sample Photos, WOW!

-Roy

Apr 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
parloursound

Registered: Apr 17, 2008
Review Date: Apr 17, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Used my friends lens today, very impressive. Super Sharp.
Cons:
A little too expensive for an amature like me.

Compared to my cheap lens the difference was night and day

Apr 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add parloursound to your Buddy List
parloursound

Registered: Apr 17, 2008
Review Date: Apr 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Wow, used my freinds today, I want one!
Cons:
Too expensive for me

Used my friends today and was really impressed, just a shame I can't afford one.

Emanuele_C

Registered: Sep 5, 2005
Review Date: Mar 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything one can do with a telephoto having such large aperture.
Cons:
If you try it, you'll buy it. You'll regret to sell it.

Sharpness starting from F2 is something spectacular. My previous large aperture telephoto lens was the legendary Leica APO Summicron 180/2: when I've switched to Nikon, my FIRST concern was to find something comparable. And I found it! The Nikkor 200/2VR is one of those lenses that do not need tons of positive words or comments: just go, try and buy this lens if you can afford one. The price, not cheap at all, should be considered NOT a downside because the Leica and the Canon (200/2 IS soon to be released) equivalents cost more. I use it hand-held all the time: the lens is somewhat heavy but it's short and well balanced with the weight shifted to the camera body. If you find the lens hood too big and bulky (I've always appreciated the retractable one found in the Leica 180/2), shoot without it: I use the hood rarely because the lens, under normal lighting conditions, performs very well in regard of flare and ghosting.
AF is blazingly fast even using a D40x body (central focus point); VR is really effective. I rate this lens as an artistic tool made for a special kind of photography (as my Leica was): portraiture, low light scenes in wich you want to catch the available light that is drawing something particular in front of you and that would not be recordable in any other way. If you love to separate the subject from the background using the natural available light only and without disturbing the actors that made the scene, this is the lens you were searching for, this is your holy-grail.

Mar 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Emanuele_C to your Buddy List
RCicala

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Jan 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly sharp, near instantaneous focusing, break bokeh, and reasonably sized.
Cons:
None. Its perfect.

Faster than Paris Hilton, sharper than my ex-wife's tongue, more contrast than a Presidential debate. This on a D3 is damn near a night vision device. On a D300 it may be the ultimate indoor sports lens. I've owned the legendary Canon 200 f1.8 and this lens is every bit as sharp plus it has VR. Worth whatever it cost. Truly.

Jan 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RCicala to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The Best 200mm in the world with VR right now.Incredibly awesome fast.Superwell made...sharp sharp sharp sharp and with perfect Bokeh and general picturequality.Perfect for in -and our door sports and portrait work. This is PRO glass for PROs! Love it.
Cons:
The weight !-- its a TANK and aboslutely NON handy..

This is the Best Nikon lens i have tried so far i have tried it with Nikon D70s,D1H,D2Hs i can conclude;

... Its in the superleague and i find it as being the UBER glass from Nikon.

Its almost perfect all the way around and it is more than recomanded.
Even paired w lens convertors like 1,4 or 1,7 there is NO lack of sharpness.,bokeh and so on!!
The VR and AFS is so damn fast and better than any Nikons or Canons i tried.
Its the PRO lens for PROs!!a true joy to work with.

Its like being in heaven and very versatile and perfect for soccer,handball.,football...you name it and you ll get the shot!

(Now i like forward to test this Nikon against the (reborn?) Canon 200mm F2,=?would be sooo nice to make a test against this starship, Huh?*..)

Dec 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
smhphoto.com

Registered: Mar 18, 2007
Review Date: Dec 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Unbelievable sharpness starting right at f/2.0, amazingly fast AF speed, VR that works awesome, the best bokeh of any lens, easy to handhold, well balance, works wonderfully with TC's.
Cons:
Heavy? But what do you expect from a 200 f/2 with VR?

This is an astonishing lens on every body I've used it on: the D70, D200, D2Hs, S5 Pro, and now the D3. This lens allows you to get the shot that you can't with the 70-200 f/2.8 VR. The sharpness of this lens wide open is better than the 70-200 f/2.8 reaches (at 200 mm) at any f-stop.

The AF of this lens is leagues faster than the 70-200 VR.

Believe it or not, this is a very practical lens due to its versatility in terms of max aperture and how well it works with TC's. If you're torn between the 200-400 f/4 VR and this lens, my vote goes for getting this lens with the TC's (including the TC-20EII). The only reason to get the 200-400 is if you *must have* the flexibility of the zoom lens. Otherwise, the 200 f/2 is the route to go as you've got two extra stops of light at 200mm, 1 extra stop at 300, and you're no worse off at 400mm & f/4.

Owning this lens is the one reason I stuck it out with Nikon while waiting for the D3 to be released. Now that I own the D3 also, I've no desire whatsoever to switch to Canon (although I am happy for Canon shooters that Canon has finally announced the introduction of their own 200 f/2 USM IS lens, which I'm sure will also be a great performer).

I use this lens for portraits, weddings, and indoor low-light events. The selective DOF on a FF body is simply amazing!

Get it and you won't regret it.

Thanks for adding this lens to the Nikon lens review list Fred (keep up the good work!).

Dec 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smhphoto.com to your Buddy List
Stripper

Registered: Dec 11, 2002
Review Date: Dec 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb optics, Extremely fast AF, Effective VR.
Cons:
Heavy, Expensive

I owned the older manual focus AIS version of this lens for a long time. It was the best lens I ever owned optically until I bought this new one. As great as the old MF version was, it would flare if you aimed it anywhere near into a light source. The new VR version has a hard time exhibiting any flare. This lens has better color, more contrast and better de-focused character than even my 400 2.8 AFS-II. The lens is so good that it even holds up well with a TC20e teleconverter attached. This is the only lens I have ever owned that held up well with the TC20e.

My only problem with the lens is that now that I have a D3, I have less and less need for the extra f-stop that the lens gives me. I can simply crank up the ISO another stop and use my 70-200.

If you need a fast 200 for theater or music or indoor sports you will never be disappointed.

Dec 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stripper to your Buddy List

Nikon 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR