Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III

51 88082 Nov 1, 2014
1dsmk3

The Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III is an engineering tour de force which, true to the EOS-1 legacy, redefines the state of the art in no uncertain terms. An entirely new 21.1-megapixel full-frame Canon CMOS sensor delivers astounding image quality and creates new photographic possibilities. Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processors work in tandem to speed up data handling and camera operation, while further refining imaging performance. Tough, high-durability body and shutter designs, combined with the unique EOS Integrated Cleaning System, set new standards for professional dependability. Cutting-edge features-such as a large 3.0-inch LCD monitor with Live View Function, and a fast, precise 45-point AF system-make the EOS-1Ds Mark III powerful and versatile. And, of course, the EOS-1Ds Mark III is part of the unparalleled EOS System, which, with more than 50 EF lenses, 15 interchangeable focusing screens, and extensive wireless remote control and lighting accessories, is the most advanced and powerful digital photography system in the world.

Superb image quality: entirely new 21.1 Megapixel Full-Frame Canon CMOS Sensor, Highlight Tone Priority, and 14-bit A/D conversions for outstanding color tones.

Dual "DIGIC III" Image Processor for excellent image quality and processing speed.

Live View Function capabilities, displayed on the large 3.0-inch LCD monitor.

Outstanding durability thanks to a shutter durability-tested to 300,000 cycles, dust- and water-resistant design, and EOS Integrated Cleaning System.

Up to 5 fps, burst rate up to 12 consecutive RAW images or 56 full-resolution JPEGs, and compatible with newest UDMA high-speed CF cards.

Fast and precise AF system, with 19 high-precision, cross-type AF points with f/2.8 or faster lenses and 26 additional "Assist Points."

Compatible with wireless file transmitter WFT-E2A, extensive remote control accessories, and 15 different interchangeable Ec-series focus screens.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4

dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Dec 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Feels lighter and more ergonomic in your hands.
Cons:

I`ve had the 1dsmk1, 1dsmk2 and now the mk3 version. My wife has heard me say this before but this now could actually be the one that sticks with me. Apart from the huge outlay each time, this new model is capable of results that I used to get using 6x7 with drum scans.( not scientifically, but visually)
I think that Canon has made just enough changes to the menu system and layout of functions to make this a worth while upgrade and the increase of resolution puts the icing on the cake. The screen size is now big enough to view the histograms along side the image without the need for reading glasses and although still a fairly low res against some of the latest offerings it does seem to be better out in daylight. The inclusion of the ISO button up by the shutter release is a marked improvement as you can change settings without taking the camera away from your eye. I found it easier to manual focus my Contax 28 and 50mm lenses without any extra aids like split image focus screen. Battery life is just a huge step up from before and being able to tell the camera what to do with regards the CF and SD cards is superb. I`ve put a set of protective clear plastic covers over the lcd and the two other readout panels because the size of the main lcd must make it more prone to damage.Write speeds are well up on par with the mk2 which is good when you consider the size of the files( I shoot raw+ j peg)
No MLU button again (I think Canon are just digging their heels in on this one)
Image Quality wise, after 2000 or so images I am very happy. Maybe some cameras might have less noise or go higher in the ISO range( I don`t know I haven`t compared) but what I do know is that the files can be manipulated more than before without falling apart and the extra headroom for cropping is really nice to have. When you get the exposure right the colours are really good and I`m sure I`m seeing more DR without having the highlight tone turned on. I haven`t tried the high speed focus tracking out(thats not what this cameras is aimed at and I don`t shoot images along those lines) but general AF seems to be right on the button and of course you do have the ability to fine tune your lenses if you need to. Viewfinder is as good as I`ve used over many years of camera use going back 35 years or more.
How does it match up against my 1dsmk2? It`s not a massive jump up and in general feels a lot like the mk2 to handle. IQ is a step up( not massively) but it is better and of course higher pixel count gives you more scope. At the end of the day it should be about taking and getting the image in the bag and both cameras are well capable of superb results but when you put all the upgrades together from the mk3 it is a much nicer bit of kit to use. Is it worth the high price? Well, what can you do? if you want the camera you has to pay the man the money. I`m seeing an improvement in the images I`ve taken with mine, it`s nicer and easier to use so for me I have no regrets what so ever.

Dec 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
Studio58

Registered: Apr 21, 2006
Review Date: Dec 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

I have owned each of the DS units & currently have the 1DS3 & 1D3.
After using the 1D3 for a couple of months I was sold on the latest generation from Canon. The colour is the best yet, the metering is great & overall the operation is far more streamlined.
And that is just the 1D3. The 1DS3 feels the same & operates in the same format.... with bigger files.

Dec 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Studio58 to your Buddy List
nivenu

Registered: Jul 16, 2005
Review Date: Dec 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, color, increased dynamic range. Excellent viewfinder
Cons:
Usual..meaning cost.

Got mine, Friday of last week. My UK dealer rang me to say Canon had sent them 5. I was number 4 on the dealers list.

The camera is astonishing in it's color rendition and resolution.
The shutter seems smoother than on my 1dsMk2.
The viewfinder is a lot brighter and I'm glad to see it now displays the ISO number also.
The body shares most of its aspects with the 1d Mk3. The prism housing being slightly taller.

This is only a brief report as I've only had the camera for
a week, but I've tried it under different conditions and with
all my compatible lenses. The results are truly pleasing as you would expect from usch an expensive piece.

Given a bit more time to evaluate, I will give a fuller report
later. At the moment I'm more than pleased with the reuslts.

Dec 7, 2007