Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX VR AF-S

29 84584 Jan 7, 2014
8.0
18-200dx

Offers the broad 18-200mm focal range (11.1x zoom) for use in a variety of situations (equivalent to a 27-300mm lens in 35mm format)

Enhanced Vibration Reduction (VRII) offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed 4 stops faster

Two ED glass and three aspherical lens elements

Incorporates a compact SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for quiet focusing

Enables focusing from as close as 50cm (20 in.) from the subject through its entire focal range

M/A mode for rapid switching between autofocus and manual focus operation

Seven-blade rounded diaphragm opening

Page:  1 · 2

okaaycom

Registered: May 28, 2008
Review Date: May 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Great travel lens, VR, helps you figure out what focal length you like
Cons:
Zoom Creep. Aperture decreases quickly when zooming

First lens on my new camera. It's a great Vacation lens as you can shoot at pretty much any focal length. 18mm for landscape, 35-70 for when you're shooting portraits of your friends and family, and 200 if you need to zoom far away.

It has VR to reduce camera shake, especially when zoomed in.

But my copy, which was Made in Thailand has a lot of zoom creep.

Not very good in low light.

The max aperture decreases quickly when increasing focal length (My website has a table with the max aperture vs focal length).

May 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add okaaycom to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: May 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $690.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good walk-around lens. VR is very handy and produces more sharp in-focus shots.
Cons:
Distortion and softness at both ends.

Good walk-around lens. VR is very handy and produces more sharp and in-focus shots.

Distortion and softness at both ends.

Here are some sample shots taken with a Nikon D40:

Sample Photos

-Roy

May 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
Mark Kenfield

Registered: Aug 24, 2007
Review Date: Mar 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: The range on this thing leaves me speechless, VR works voodoo magic - it does, it really does, compact for what it does, sharp enough through most its range, the ultimate travel lens IMO (with a 35mm f/2 I have just about all I need).
Cons:
build quality - seems a bit fragile, a bit soft at 200mm (but VR means that you can handhold it at 200mm - I couldn't get sharper shots handheld without VR)

This is a wonderful lens, for travel or shooting friends and family - it is hands-down the best lens I've ever used, it lets me shoot almost anything I want without having to worry about changing lenses - it just lets me get on and shoot.

Does this lens give you perfect IQ - no, of course not. And to ever expect that it would is naive in my opinion. However in a dynamic environment this lens lets you compose shots at a rapid rate, shots you would otherwise miss entirely with another lens - and in my mind that makes it gold.

Mar 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mark Kenfield to your Buddy List
jberenyi

Registered: Mar 12, 2008
Review Date: Mar 12, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Having this much range in an all-in-one package is priceless.
Cons:
Very soft in all ranges of zoom. Price is too high for such shortcomings in a lens at this price. LENS CREEP - ARE YOU READING THIS NIKON!

I bought this lens at the same time I bought my D200 with high hopes. Was I ever let down. Yes, as we all know the lens creep on this lens is horrible and unacceptable. Short of using rubber bands, electical tape, etc., there is nothing else you can do. Nikon says no matter what they do during a clean and repair it will creep again in time. The other issue I have is the poor sharpness with this lens. I did tested this lens with different bodies and different lenses. My Sigma 17-70mm blows this baby away for half the price. But that's another story. On a test at 50mm f/5.0 at 1/60sec and flash we took shots of a book shelf and everything to the right of the focal point was blurry. Using other test lenses with similar setups, they would be sharp. I always thought this lens had softness issues but I didn't believe it till I took the time to confirm. I have since sent the lens to Nikon (3-11-08) and we will see if they fixed the softness issue. If not, I will be selling it off and going with something else.

Mar 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jberenyi to your Buddy List
light and dark

Registered: Nov 18, 2007
Review Date: Mar 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Range, weight, size = maximum versatility
Cons:
= price for versatility. The lense leaves room for improvement rgd. resolution, distortion, CAs, build quality and speed (see below)

You know who you are - this is a nice walk-around lense for casual shooting which will produce small prints, in some cases requiring a little postprocessing. It's fun to shoot with!

For me, it's only rated 7 - it may well be a 10 for you.

While testing this lense I found out that I don't have the need for such a huge range and - compared to a f/2.8 zoom - I don't have much use for the VR at this focal range. Ultimately, the show stoppers for me were:
- very bad CAs (even on my D300, which is said to have some built-in CA-reduction)
- extremely narrow distortion-free focal range, somewhere between 24 and 40mm (sure, can to some extent be fixed during PP, but - again: for me - it's not a good idea to fix technical shortcomings at 95% of my shots during PP)
- Corner and edge softness (from 35mm onwards)
- The lense does not deliver 12 MP resolution.

Finally, VR is nice, however, in dim light the D300's autofocus had a hard time to get the job done at any focal length above 120mm due to f/5.6.

Returned it after 2 weeks.

Mar 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add light and dark to your Buddy List
traveler

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: Jan 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $729.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing range, sharp on my copy wide open from about 20mm to at least 150. Great weight, decent focus speed, great contrast for a non pro lens. Very good contrast and color. I have none of the lens creep some have reported. Could be as it is a recent build and may have been a problem corrected in design.
Cons:
May not be "Prime" sharpness all over but up to 13x19 prints are superb

This seems to be a much maligned lens overall, and unjustly so I feel. For walk around use and decent light it's darn hard to beat. Especially if you don't have steady hands as I don't. I don't have issues with sharpness that some have reported and I fully understand there may be some sample variations. A sample I had over a year ago was not nearly this nice. If you want a travel lens that CAN deliver.......there is NONE quite like this one. Provided you get a decent sample you'll be all set.

Jan 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add traveler to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Jan 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I have used this lens for a while and recently found its value improved on the D300. I have a copy that is sharp wide open, creeps only marginally and has very successful VR. It's not the 14-24, but its very, very good for the intended range and use. Lens Creep is not the measure of a lens' quality, it's just a bit annoying. I will rate this lens a ten to help offset the 1 someone who is irritated gave it ;-). It is a great for its purpose.
Cons:
Slower aperture at the long end, could do with being an f4.5 or something.

Always looking to get the best IQ with any glass I own and this one has been quite pleasing to use for trips and out and about stuff. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Jan 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
Ruairidh

Registered: Nov 25, 2004
Review Date: Jan 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Range. IQ. VR.
Cons:
Wish Nikon had put a "no-creep lock" on it to prevent lens creep (haven't had any yet but hate it when they creep)

On my D200 the perfect all round lens. It replaces my Canon based system where I had a 24-105L as my walkabout lens. Compared to Canon the Nikon has better color and contrast but is not as sharp. I prefer the pictures I get from the Nikon and it was a major reason in my deciding to make the switch over.

Jan 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ruairidh to your Buddy List
Greg Frazer

Registered: Oct 1, 2006
Review Date: Jan 4, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: Good range for a zoom, VR useful in low light.
Cons:
Lens creep

I waited for months for this lens. When I did finally get it I took it on a Caribbean sailing charter. The creep on this lens was so bad that it required two hands to shoot @ anything more than 25- 30 degrees from level, up or down. This lens would slide to full extension in 2 seconds when pointed down and to fully retracted in the same amount of time when aimed up. I missed a lot of shots during the cruise for this reason. I was unable to get a WA shot of the boat deck after climbing to the top of the mast- held the mast with one hand and the lens went to full extension as soon as I pointed it down- extremely disappointing.

I took it to the Nikon service center and got it back 2 weeks later with a note saying there was nothing wrong, it was within tolerance! If this is Nikon quality tolerance, I want nothing to do with it. I have examined several others - new and used since then and none of them had anywhere near the creep that mine does.

Customer service at it's best.

Jan 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Greg Frazer to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Nov 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good all around purpose VR lens very fine and good for travel and excellent for street shots and alike.Great value for money.On par w the new VR 70-300. Excellent wide range from 18-200= youll hit the shot ! while the other misses.! think about that?!
Cons:
A little overpriced lens. Its not that snappy as i wanted too,in think theres a small tendency of barrel distortion. i heard that theres variation samples.? QC matter? It could be better made for the price.

This is a good all around lens and i find it very fine for a travel lens.
I think the sharpness is very good and quite ok but not on a super high pro level though.Funny im often surprised how good this Nikkor can be and i dont know how to characterize this lens; is it better than good or is it just good ?
well actually its a very versatile product and working PJs can use it as well as skilled amateurs.
I think Nikon has all in all done it well.

Nov 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Nov 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens for its purpose - all-in-one walk-around lens; sharp at wide open and at any FL; color and saturation produced from this lens are superb; VR with great coverage
Cons:
zoom creep when pointed down

With a young baby, I can't afford to carry a bag full of primes when I am out walking/strolling with the wife and kid. This lens serves me well. Right now, the competitors have nothing close to offer. I give this lens a perfect "10" as an all-purpose walk-around lens. This is what it was made for!

I have read reports of this lens for not being sharp beyond 100mm. On the contrary, I have found this lens to be very sharp at wide open and at all focal length. Contrast, color, and saturation produced from this lens is beyond words.

For its purpose, this lens is the best there is.

Nov 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
ray_lam5

Registered: Sep 18, 2005
Review Date: Nov 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: great focal range, light and compact, VR
Cons:
wavy distortion at 18mm, lens creeps if pointing down and not locked in place at 18mm setting. Seems to underexpose slightly and not up to pro grade image quality.

pretty much echo the last review, great all in one travel lens. I moved over from canon 1d setup with 6L lens to a D200 and this because of its convienience. Image quality is a sizable difference however i wish to shoot with smaller primes to complement this lens.

recommended.

Nov 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ray_lam5 to your Buddy List
Teru Kage

Registered: Oct 29, 2007
Review Date: Nov 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $745.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Large focal range with AF-S and VR makes for a great walkaround lens
Cons:
Distortion at 18mm Lens creep on some models

With the huge wide-to-tele focal range coupled with Nikon's fast AF-S and VRII, it's hard to beat the 18-200 as a one-lens solution. It's the perfect choice for when you want to travel light. It's the lens that spends the most time on my camera whenever I travel.

In terms of image quality, this is an 11x zoom, so to compare it with primes or smaller zooms would be unfair. There's barrel distortion at 18mm and also vignetting at wide open, but again, with a focal range this big I find it acceptable. And it's nothing that can't be fixed in PhotoShop.

On some copies, the lens does tend to creep at around 70mm, which can be a problem if you need to shoot something pointing the camera down single handed. I hear that using rubber o-rings solves the problem nicely.

Sigma and Tamron make similar lenses for cheaper, but at the cost of not having VR.

Bottom line: I'm sure you've all experienced the frustration of missing a shot because of having the wrong lens mounted on your camera. With this lens, you'll never have that problem again. If you need perfect image quality and don't mind lugging around a bunch of lenses, then by all means go ahead and get something else. But for a good walk-around lens, it's hard to find a better tool for the job.

Some samples:

18mm

18mm, handheld @ 1/6s

200mm

Nov 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Teru Kage to your Buddy List

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX VR AF-S