Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye AF

9 38612 Feb 28, 2013

Specially designed and optimized for Nikon digital SLRs
Full-frame fisheye images with a picture angle of 180°(diagonal)
High optical performance by ED glass elements
Focuses down to 0.14m/0.46 ft.

Filter Size Rear gelatin filter slot
f/Stop Range 2.8-22
Minimum Focus Distance 5.5" (14 cm)
Magnification 1:5
Zoom/Focus Control Not applicable
Angle of View 180°
Tripod Collar No
Length 2.5" (63mm)
Maximum Diameter 2.5" (63mm)
Weight 10.8 oz (306 g)

dixielinda

Registered: Feb 27, 2013
Review Date: Feb 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $675.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: great lens! especially for super wide shots... like canopy of trees or stars... northern lights...
Cons:
AF means no auto focus with newer entry level camers; may prefer newer AFS zoom 10-24...

Feb 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dixielinda to your Buddy List
jessi74

Registered: Aug 22, 2008
Review Date: Nov 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: It's ridiculously fun. Compact.
Cons:
It's far more expensive than the manual focus Samyang alternatives that exist now.

Nov 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jessi74 to your Buddy List
like_this

Registered: Jun 3, 2009
Review Date: Jun 30, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: enables spectacular views, sharp!, small enough to find place in every bag :o)
Cons:

I donīt know, why I havenīt bought it earlier.

Jun 30, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add like_this to your Buddy List
Guidenet

Registered: Mar 23, 2008
Review Date: Oct 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great DX Fisheye that can be shaved and work well on FX. This is pro-level glass in my opinion and a lot of fun.
Cons:
The only con might be that people sometimes overuse a fisheye for it's distortion

I already had a superwide for my D300, but when a friend had to sell this lens in a hurry so his wife would let him buy some other lens, I purchased it for only $250. This lens is really sharp and might be one of the best fisheyes built with respect to optics.

Many shave the built-in hood to allow this lens to be used as a 180 full frame fisheye. Now that I've gone full frame, I'll probably just buy a full frame fish like the 16 f/2.8.

If you want a solidly built fisheye with superb optics for your DX camera, this is the best of its type. If you actually think you'll be mostly de-fishing, stick with a super wide angle lens.

Oct 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Guidenet to your Buddy List
grangermacy

Registered: Feb 19, 2005
Review Date: Mar 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Panoramas!, small size, sharp, extremely close focusing
Cons:
Other than a little chromatic aberration nothing to mention

A really sharp full frame fisheye. What else is there to say? I like the Image Trends plugin if I want to subdue the effect or if I'm photographing people. Its also the only lens I use for 360 panoramas. Shooting vertically you need just six shots around plus one up and one down and you're done. It has such incredible depth of field that you can get everything in sharp focus from around f5.6 on. I've read that you can even use it on a full frame camera if you wish and if you don't mind cutting off the lens hood.

Mar 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add grangermacy to your Buddy List
sankeycottage

Registered: Jun 29, 2008
Review Date: Jun 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $675.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fun to use, superb quality and contrast, extremely portable, one of the sharpest Nikkors available.
Cons:
Because of shape front element could be easily marked as filters do not fit.

A superb lens in terms of quality everything in picture is always ultra sharp. This is much more than just a fun lens, by its nature you can be more creative with this than most other Nikkor primes. Forget about comments elsewhere that image software can "correct" shots with this lens. Use it as a genuine Fisheye and you will get the best out of this lens. Try some interior shots of cathedrals, museums etc. for a different perspective. Careful with the portraits though or everyone may end up looking like Barry Manilow!

Jun 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sankeycottage to your Buddy List
Alex2008

Registered: Jan 24, 2008
Location: Belarus
Review Date: Jan 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: * DX-Nikkor reduces the diameter of the lens' image circle, allowing a range of lenses with practical size and excellent performance * DX-Nikkor lenses offer compact and lightweight design, fast aperture and fast autofocus via NIKON's Silent Wave Motor design * 180 degree diagonal angle-of-view * Close range focusing up to a near 5.5 inches * Innnovative Close Range Correction ( CRC ) technology ensures consistently crisp, sharp images
Cons:

This has all of the pluses and minuses of a fisheye, with Nikon quality. It takes some planning to get good images but one can get images impossible with a longer lens [and you can get your feet in your photos too!] I /strongly/ recommend looking at the Image Trends website for their inexpensive fisheye correction filter for PS.
It's better than I expected. It _is_ supported by DxO.

Jan 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alex2008 to your Buddy List
Connahhh

Registered: Jan 12, 2008
Review Date: Jan 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Can be "de-fished" to rectilinear or re-mapped with software, unlike anything you have in your current lens lineup.
Cons:
High CA (Yet the best of any lenses in it's class), hard to get used to.

I received this as a christmas present and I absolutely love it. I shoot a lot of skateboarding, which was the main reason I was turned onto it, but I havn't even shot skateboarding since I got it. I've been too busy with other things!

It offers a really unique look and is a lot of fun to shoot with. The learning curve is relatively steep, but I am used to it and love it. It offers 180 degrees of viewing which is pretty remarkable.

If you want a less "fishy" image, it can be converted to rectilinear or, using a photoshop plug-in, can be "remapped" and you lose hardly almost none of the image. The software is called Fisheye Hemi Plug in. I have not purchased it yet but I have seen some wonderful samples from it.

It seems like a strange size and seems small on a DSLR, even one as small as my D50. Comparable to a 50/1.8 but maybe a bit longer.

AF is quick but isn't really an issue for this lens because everything within a few inches to infinity is in focus with manual focus set to infinity.

It focuses very close so watch out for bumping into your subjects! I have done so a few times, and my front element has been licked by my dog. Gross, I know.

It has high CA but that's normal for such a wide angle. It has been tested against other fisheyes and has the least CA of them all. This can be corrected later.

All in all, it's a really fun lens. The price may be a little high for a specialty lens, but I use mine VERY often. Less than my 85/1.8 but, suprisingly, more than my standard 18-55mm kit lens. If you can afford it, this is definetly one to have in your bag.

Jan 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Connahhh to your Buddy List
James Markus

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Nov 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $575.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp center, edge and corners. Fast (f2.8) and very small. Provides an incredible point of view.
Cons:

I really expected to use this lens only about 1-2% of the time, but I'm probably using it more than that...maybe up to 5% on some assignments. It works great on landscapes, and even portraits. On my D2X it functions much like a fixed focus lens. It seems that everything from a few inches to infinity is in focus. Defished images retain their sharpness, but at a cost to image area covered. By the time you square it up it is more like 14mm. However, since the 12-24 is softest at the wide end (12-14 range) - I sometimes choose the fisheye over the 12-24 because I know the image quality will be better....particularly if shooting wide open. I really love this little gem.

Nov 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James Markus to your Buddy List

Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye AF