Nikon 600mm f/4G ED VR AF-S

5 27225 Nov 29, 2012
9.8
600VR

VR II operation realizes the equivalent of a shutter speed four stops faster
New Tripod mode reduces vibration that may occur at shutter release when shooting with a super-telephoto lens attached to a tripod
Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, render outstanding image integrity
Three ED (Extra-low dispersion) elements control chromatic aberration while enhancing sharpness and contrast, even at the widest apertures
Exclusive Nikon Nano Crystal Coat and a Meniscus protective glass element combine to further reduce ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity
High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating realizes superior color reproduction while minimizing ghosting and flare
Nikon's exclusive Silent Wave Motor enables fast autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful, super-quiet operation
Rounded diaphragm opening (9 blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
Newly added A/M mode reduces the possibility of unintentional switching from Auto to Manual
Focus Preset function instantly recalls preset focus points with the push of a button
Engineered to Nikon professional D-SLR standards to effectively resist dust and moisture
Magnesium die-cast for a lightweight body with rugged construction.

Filter Size 52mm or gelatin filters via rear drop-in slot
f/Stop Range 4-22
Minimum Focus Distance 16.4' (5 m)
Magnification 1:7.4
Angle of View 4.1° (35mm format)
2.6° (Nikon DX format)
Tripod Collar Yes
Length 17.5" (44.5cm)
Maximum Diameter 6.5" (16.5cm)
Weight 11.2 lbs (5.1kg)
Usable Nikon Teleconverter TC-14E II (maintains autofocusing), or TC-20E II, TC-301 & TC-14b (manual focus only)

NikonGuy221

Registered: Jun 22, 2012
Review Date: Nov 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Works well with teleconverters - both TC-17EII & TC-20EIII (albeit at reduced speed)
Cons:
Klunky tripod foot (I replaced mine with the RRS foot) Not really handholdable (unless for a VERY short time)

This review is specific to use with teleconverters. I was surprised when I completed my testing, and found that the lens worked pretty well with the TC-17EII teleconverter and reasonably well with the TC-20EIII. The tests were done using a D800 body, one of the most demanding Nikon sensors around. Full details below...

Nov 29, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add NikonGuy221 to your Buddy List
Steve Walker

Registered: Dec 15, 2007
Review Date: Jun 29, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extraordinary image quality. Fast autofocus. VR works well on or off tripod. Well balanced
Cons:
Lens is hard to find.

I bought this lens new about 16 months ago and have used it extensively for wildlife. It has never let me down and has enabled me to capture pictures I could only dream of before. Anyone interested in this lens is already aware of its large size, weight, and price. I don't consider those negatives, just characteristics of this outstanding lens.

I have only tried this lens on a Nikon D700. I find the lens so well balanced that it is reasonable for me to hand hold it for short periods of time (burst of 50 to 100 shots over several minutes). I typically shoot it on a Gitzo GT5541LS with a fully Wimberley and highly recommend that support package. I did replace the foot with a Wimberley foot and am pleased with the result.

While others have reported better results at f4.5 than f4, I can't tell any difference. With a 1.4x teleconverter, I find that f8 is often better than f5.6. I have noticed a very substantial increase in the need for good long lens technique when shooting with the 1.4x teleconverter.

Jun 29, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steve Walker to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 28, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, AF speed, VR, Built quality, size
Cons:
availability (lack of), stocked feet

What a coincidence, I bought this lens from Jordan, previous reviewer, back in April/May 2009. What a beautiful chunk of glass it is. This is THE sharpest 600mm lens I have ever used and I have used the Canon 600 non-IS and IS extensively in the past. On my D300, the lens is very sharp at wide open and it is tack sharp at f/4.5. It is about ½ lbs lighter than Canon’s IS equivalent so the lens is “handholdable” for short bursts. AF is as fast as any AF-S lens. VR works very well when required but I usually have it “off” most of the time. With the 14E TC II, the lens performs very well when stop down to f/6.3 or f/7.1. AF does slow down a bit – might be too slow for BIF.

I have used this lens on the D700, D300, and D5000. The lens performs superbly with any of these bodies but my combo of choice is with the D300. This gives me the best reach with the highest IQ and fastest AF combination. Without TC, this combo can track anything that moves! This combo also works very very well at the last 2009 US Hurley Surf Open in Southern California. I just picked up the D90 and will give it a try in the next few months.

Cons – just some minor complaints. First, the lens is hard to find. It has been over two years since it was introduced and the lens is still on “back order” at most places. This could be a good thing too as it helps to keep the used price up. Second, the supplied feet are useless. It’s best to get the Wimberley replacement foot which I did.

If you want to see sample images, please checkout http://www.pbase.com/tnt_imaging. Go into “new additions” folder for the latest images. Can’t wait until the birding season starts again in Spring!!!

Oct 28, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
Miro Zumrik

Registered: May 19, 2007
Location: Slovakia
Review Date: Jun 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $9,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Innovation as should be, better ballance, crisp sharp, VR added value
Cons:
Tall lens foot - buy RRS replacement foot, than is great

Lang time awaited, you get what you expect.
Hard to add something. Also detail - like fastening Lens hood was designed with "charm". Now I have only one problem - time to be as much as possible out to shoot.

Jun 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Miro Zumrik to your Buddy List
jordanwd

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: May 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: I've had the 600 f4 VR for over 2 months now and got to admit it is a fantastic lens. My first impression was not it's weight but its size. The lens itself (w/o the hood) is almost as big as the 400 f2.8 w/ its hood on-it's a monster of a lens. With that said it is easily balanced on a monopod (for me at least-using the mono in a kneeling position) and sits well on a wimberly side kick as well. One day I'll get a gimble but right know the side kick is adequate. The af w/ a d3, d300 or d2x is very fast and accurate, the sharpness, colour and contrast is stunning. It's very sharp at f4 but I personally shoot at f4.5 to get ultra sharp images- the bokeah is smooth. It works well w/ a 1.4 tc with sharp images at f5.6 but i prefer f6.1 for ultra sharp images...the camera view finder is noticibly darker w/ the 1.4 tc on. The few times I've used VR it seems to work very well (tho I make a point of not shooting less than 1250 for sports). I can not comment on the focus recall feature as i haven't used it yet. The first thing I did do was replace the stock foot w/ a lowwer profile wimberly foot which does make the lens more balanced on a mono/ tripod. It's an awesome lens and well worth the $.
Cons:
none yet..get a lowwer profile replacement foot..pricey but you get what you pay for...

May 14, 2008