Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

391 537386 Aug 4, 2014
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Weight 1.64 lb

sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Jun 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, excellent color, magnificent bokem, great AF, bigger than I expected, light weight, focus limiter, black body, sharper than my 85/1.8.
Cons:
none really, if I had to pick, bigger than I expected, huge hood. With hood on same size but lighter than my 24-70L, focus ring is large and kind of in the way (too easy to move focus).

WOW. I've wanted this lens for some time, it didn't disappoint.
Fast focus, sharp as a tack, beautiful color, great bokem. I got a great deal on this lens because the original owner wanted the 85L, so I help him out Smile. I have to watch my hand because I moved the focus ring when shooting it the first few times (First I thought it had a focus problem).
This lens was bigger than I thought, it's even bigger with the hood on. All in all I'm very happy with this purchase. My "L" curse has been fully broken...YEAH for me Smile

Jun 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List
russperry

Registered: Aug 31, 2005
Review Date: Jun 23, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: relatively compact
Cons:
Not as sharp as I was expecting. Color reproduction in low light conditions is poor.

I shoot mainly field sports (lacrosse, football) and ice hockey. I have the 300f2.8 which is superb, and have a Sigma 70-200f2.8 zoom which is pretty good. I was looking for some better low-light capability and sometimes the 300mm is just too long, especially for the indoor lacrosse game and hockey.
I'd seen a lot of good reviews about this lens so took a shot. Out of the box everything was just plain bad - significant back-focusing (not related to the 40D body since the 300mm and Sigma were just fine), poor color rendition, etc...
I took lots of comparison shots and this lens could not compare even with the Sigma zoom at equivalent aperature and focal lengths.
The lens has now been back and forth to the service center 2 times (first time it came back with no improvement) and now the focus appears to be fixed but even when focused, still don't see close to the same sharpness of the 300.
Overall I'm disappointed - maybe the big 300 lens sets the bar too high, but my copy of this lens is perhaps equivalent to the Sigma in terms of sharpness and color, only with less flexibility and a much higher price - it will probably end up for sale. I am considering the 200f2 but am choking over the price tag

Jun 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add russperry to your Buddy List
philber

Registered: May 20, 2008
Review Date: Jun 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, ability to record micro-details, volumes and subtle shadings
Cons:
No stabilized version

Jun 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add philber to your Buddy List
Peter Bui

Registered: Jul 10, 2007
Review Date: Jun 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

This is fast becoming my favorite lens. It's more versatile than one might think, good for people, low light, and macro-ish shooting. (I use it on my 5D).

The shallow DOF and quality of blur with this lens blows me away the more I use it. The lowlight ability, combined with my 5D's high ISO ability, makes it my lens of choice for lowlight people shooting.

It's very cheap for the sharp, high quality pictures it can deliver too. It's great even at f2, but at f2.8 it's already at its best pretty much!

Jun 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Bui to your Buddy List
Shuko

Registered: Mar 9, 2008
Review Date: May 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ in every way; sharpness, color, contrast etc. Bokeh.
Cons:
Nothing major, but hood is huge compared to the lens itself. Loose focusing ring.

This is my most used lens. Its excellent for people, obviously. But using extension tubes it makes a nice macro as well. Works very well with 1.4x TC.

I wrote the hood as a con as I have a habit of storing lenses even in bags with hood attached the right way. It almost doubles the length of the lens and is quite wide. However, it doesn't affect the lens or shooting.

I gave it 9/10 for build quality as it seems a lot of them have a loose focusing ring. Meaning it has a little play back and forth (not rotation). The ring rotates as smoothly as on any other L-lens.

135/2L is one of the best value for money deals.

May 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Shuko to your Buddy List
d4ni3lz

Registered: May 25, 2008
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: May 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $725.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness is really great, amazing bokeh, IQ, one of the best canon lens ever.
Cons:

I use this lens for event, candid, and portrait it deliver amazing sharpness with background blur.

One of the king of canon lens... really great lens and must buy.

May 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add d4ni3lz to your Buddy List
pixelda

Registered: Sep 4, 2006
Review Date: May 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Light, Faultless IQ, Fast Focusing, Inexpensive for an L lens
Cons:
Nothing - can't fault it. IS might be nice - but that's being picky

Very quickly people were telling me just how sharp my pictures are. OK I try to shoot f8-f11 if possible, but even wide open, this lens is good. The colour and contrast produced all help to improve overall IQ and lessen the need for post-processing.

I tend to use it on my 1D MK III giving about 171mm in 35mm equivalent.

The praise that everyone lavishes on it is deserved.

May 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pixelda to your Buddy List
Linc

Registered: Sep 6, 2004
Review Date: Apr 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstounding images. There is something really special about this lens. I traded mine at one point, and it was a mistake, I bought a new one a few months later.
Cons:

This is a lens that all Canon users should own, or at least try at some point. I keep going back to it again and again.

Apr 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Linc to your Buddy List
jj sach md

Registered: Jan 22, 2006
Review Date: Apr 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's not a white lens (doesn't attract attention), superb optics, relatively light
Cons:

Had this lens of about 3 years and absolutely adore this lens for quality of optics and what I consider to be value for money for L glass. I have used this for candid wedding photography and outdoor portraits/candids. Also used this as a macro lens with extension tubes. Lens has solid build. Colour in photos is amazing. I hardly do any post production on photos from this lens.

I have used it on both full frame and crop 1.6x sensors preferring it on the latter - I have more use of it on a crop sensor camera as a portrait lens and also a semi-telephoto for candids etc. On full frame I always found myself wanting more reach with this lens.

Apr 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jj sach md to your Buddy List
animefx

Registered: Apr 22, 2008
Review Date: Apr 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect color reproduction, contrast, and wonderful bokeh even on a crop camera! Tack sharp wide open and even sharper stopped down a little. Canon's best lens ever.
Cons:
Nothing bad to say about this lens.

I'll recap what I said for the pros (and lack of cons) here:

Simply an amazing lens! Well worth the price. The results will blow you away, if not you or your camera is at fault, not this lens. Honestly the focal length will take some getting used to on a crop camera, especially indoors. Having said that I am fine with the focal length and I feel its made rethink how I compose my subject in the frame. Perfect color reproduction, contrast, and wonderful bokeh even on a crop camera! Tack sharp wide open and even sharper stopped down a little. Canon's best lens ever.

A future mkII version could have weather sealing, rounded aperture blades, f/1.8, and maybe IS. Although, I wouldn't want IS if it hurts the image quality.

Apr 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add animefx to your Buddy List
william nunn

Registered: Jan 6, 2008
Review Date: Apr 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: nicely balanced on a 1.6 crop body super fast f2!!!
Cons:

You will really enjoy it. A little learning curve but so is life.
Highly recommend

Apr 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add william nunn to your Buddy List
ask72883

Registered: Apr 1, 2008
Review Date: Apr 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness, amazing for portraits
Cons:
weight (only if you're walking around with it for a long time)

I'm a pretty novice photographer that only used borrowed lenses from different friends who were into digital photography. I used a certificate I had and got myself a EOS 350D. I got to preview the 17-40 4.0, 16-35 2.8, 50 1.4, 135 2.0, and the 85 1.8.

I love taking candid portrait shots but whenever I tried to get these shots with either the 50 or the 85 my subjects would always seem self-conscious and their expressions became utterly staged. This one didn't give me away as easily. I was far away enough to take amazing shots and even at 2.0 the pictures were so sharp it simply amazed me. Most of my shots are taken between 2.8 and 6 and all of these were very clear. One thing to note is that the majority of my shots were outside (this maybe a little too close indoors for 1.6x crop bodies like mine.)

My overall goal is to move to a FF camera (and get into landscapes) one day but so far my experience with this lens has been nothing short of remarkable. And I know that this lens is a keeper even with a new body. It focuses quickly and is silent and overall weight really isn't an issue. I highly recommend this lens if you have the disposable income. Heck, use the stimulus package this summer and save up for this.

Apr 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ask72883 to your Buddy List
hsk06

Registered: Feb 1, 2008
Review Date: Mar 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, excellent contract, sharp, Isolate subject well
Cons:
little heavy on 1.6 camera

Couldn't be happier.
The colors are so vivid, contract and sharpness are wonderfull and it's really fast (lot of light for f2 --> can take with faster shutter speed).

Take pictures at Carnaval or events and see the background vanishs away, stunning bokeh (main selling point for me)

Mar 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hsk06 to your Buddy List
crimson400

Registered: Mar 21, 2008
Review Date: Mar 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Unbelievable image quality, fast focus, good balance with 5D and 1D cameras. Great price for tack-sharp images.
Cons:
No one told me to buy it earlier!

As far as primes go, this one should be in every Canon shooter's kit. It produces some of the best images I have ever seen. Some photogs become too reliant on zoom lenses and forget to use their feet. Primes will always be twice as sharp and this lens proves it.

Mar 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add crimson400 to your Buddy List
kesava

Registered: Sep 19, 2004
Review Date: Mar 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: everything
Cons:
its the only one of three lenses from canon that can produce this quality of images

stunning

Mar 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kesava to your Buddy List
davidrwilliams

Registered: Nov 15, 2004
Review Date: Mar 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great lens - very good image sharpness, contrast and bokeh, fast and accurate focus in a small, light and easily portable package.
Cons:
Not much - see below.

Pretty close to the perfect lens at this focal length. Everything that can be said, has been said in other reviews.

Still, there's room for improvement, as the lens would be perfect if updated to include Canon's latest lens upgrades - circular aperture, weather sealing, and enhanced coatings to reduce high-contrast purple fringing (as per 70-200 f/4L IS).

Mar 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add davidrwilliams to your Buddy List

Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM