Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

390 535454 Jul 21, 2014
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Weight 1.64 lb

skibum5

Registered: Jan 20, 2005
Review Date: Oct 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $660.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness from wide open, incredible contrast and colors, tied for most accurately focusing of all my lenses, very sharp even used with a 1.4x TC
Cons:
can get a touch of purple/green around oof areas under certain circumstances

a realy fantastic lens, just amazingly sharp right from wide open at f/2 and fantastic contrast that makes colors seem incredibly rich and saturated. extremely accurate focusing, even at f/2 (this is no 50mm 1.4).

Oct 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skibum5 to your Buddy List
Jeroen Kransen

Registered: Oct 2, 2007
Review Date: Oct 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Contrasts, colours, bokeh, sharpness, fast AF, it makes you feel good about yourself
Cons:
No IS; I need a 5D now; my other lenses look pale

I bought this lens with the thought in mind of buying a cheap (second-hand) 5D soon. My favourite lens at the moment, 50mm f/1.4, would not be a tele anymore for portraits. This 135mm certainly is a bit long on a crop camera like my 30D.

As I read that this is one of the best Canon lens, I really had my expectations high up. Still, seeing the photos on my monitor just blew me away. The colours and contrasts are amazing!

The images are so much better than with any of my zooms, that I simply try to leave it on the body.
At the end of the day, having images that just pop out outweighs the value of the versatility of zoom. Don't they say it's the photographer that makes good pictures? Not with this lens, it really doesn't matter what you point it at! :-D

It's totally sharp even at f/2, giving a
beautiful bokeh:
If you want more DoF, and stop it down, its sharpness simply outperforms my sensor:

If there is anything to wish for, it would still be IS. But maybe this lens just deserves a tripod all the time.

Don't hesitate. As you came here, you KNOW you want it...

Oct 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jeroen Kransen to your Buddy List
macsfstop

Registered: Jun 25, 2008
Review Date: Sep 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Legendary IQ, Colors, Contrast, AF Speed, Bright viewfinder, Excellent low light capability, Bokeh at f/2, light weight, Very Affordable "L"
Cons:
Addictive

Renowned for portraits, indoor and night events and sports. If you rent it for a weekend, you'll likely realize it's worth and importance in your arsenal.

Sep 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add macsfstop to your Buddy List
Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: Sep 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $980.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp at F2, excellent for low lights, superfast AF, colors/contrast!!! Not heavy and large, black colored. Price tag is greate in compare to other telephoto L's
Cons:
Don't like huge hood

One of the lenses I would not sell under any conditions, 35L is second to this Smile
I think this lens is best on FF body like 5D, I hope it well be as good on mk II I am waiting now to buy. I shot anything with it from sports to shows, portraits to landscapes. All stunning in results, especially like low light results.
Amazing prime overall!!!

Sep 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
DubRepublic

Registered: Jul 17, 2007
Review Date: Sep 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF Speed, Size, Weight, Brightness, Colouring, Contrast, Sharpness, pretty much everything about it.
Cons:
The filter size is 72 rather than 77mm so it requires a different set of filters or a step down ring to use my existing filter collection.

After picking up this lens I 'get it' now. This lens has completely blown away and set a whole new benchmark for my standard of a quality lens. The images from this lens are simply remarkable. It makes all my other L lenses pale in comparison. Putting this lens on my camera makes it seem like someone turned on the lights in my viewfinder. The autofocus snaps sharp at a blazinig speed. The images are tack sharp all the way to wide open.

I really can't say enough for this lens. I need one of these in every focal lenght.

Sep 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DubRepublic to your Buddy List
dennisvillegas

Registered: Jan 21, 2008
Review Date: Sep 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Blazing AF, Dreamy Bokeh, Wonderful Colors, One of Canon's sharpest lenses, meaning it belongs to the same class as the high-end Canon telephotos(like the 200 1.8), sharper than the 200 2.8L, lightweight.
Cons:
None. Maybe should have IS.

I owned two copies of this lens. Both are very accurate and very sharp.

I switched to Nikon a few years ago but had to go back to Canon simply because Nikon doesn't have an equivalent of this 135L. Now I promised to be always a Canon user just because of this lens.

I always enjoy using this lens. It makes me feel a better photographer. A wonderful, wonderful lens. Buy one if you have the means top afford it.

You will not regret it. Very highly recommended!

Here are two recent shots made with this lens and a Canon 1000D.

Sep 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dennisvillegas to your Buddy List
erwin bosman-polus

Registered: Sep 13, 2008
Review Date: Sep 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: How could I ever have lived without it?
Cons:

I got the lens today, and I was from the first image blown away by the sharpness at 2.0
This is simply amazing.

Sep 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add erwin bosman-polus to your Buddy List
lubutterfly

Registered: Sep 6, 2008
Review Date: Sep 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, Sharp at F2, Price.

Plus

One of the best indoor sports lens money can buy.

Its sharp all the way down to F2, even with TC 1.4X 189mm at F2.8.

Very Fast AF, Does well even with limited light on a pro body.

Price is value for money. one of my cheapest Ls just above the 70-200 F4 and 17-40 F4.

Downside.

Abit Far on a 1.6FOV Body but that has nothing to do with the lens.

Sep 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lubutterfly to your Buddy List
michiphoto

Registered: Aug 22, 2008
Review Date: Aug 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp even at 2.0, beautiful colours(!), fast AF - perfect sports lens!!
Cons:
absolutely none!

I sold my 70-200mm 2.8L after I bought this lens!!

Itīs a statement - as I had loved the 70/200..was my first L lens ever. Still, it didn`t hurt to sell it after all, because the 135/2.0L is a Canon masterpiece.

*The* indoor sports lens IMHO, but also a reliable companion for street photography, weddings,...

Tack sharp even at 2.0, very fast AF and beautiful colours (same league as my 300/4L)- what else can I say?
I love this lens...it makes one understand what that whole "prime" hype is all about - if you think your zoom lens is great, try this one and be amazed!

Aug 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add michiphoto to your Buddy List
Brendan Rouse

Registered: Sep 20, 2007
Review Date: Aug 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, reasonable cost, build, IQ, sharpness, colours, did I say sharpness

Wow Wow Wow
Don't think about buying it, just do it

Aug 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Brendan Rouse to your Buddy List
iliko

Registered: Jul 31, 2008
Location: Russia
Review Date: Jul 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,067.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Low cost, excellent build, color reproduction, sharpness, weight, focusing system
Cons:

An excellent lens, the very best lens from he canon lineup. Totally worth its price! It's really fast, and by fast i mean totally fast! Very sharp, perhaps a bit too sharp for portrait, which doesn't really matters if you use a good make-up artist.

Excellent bokeh, doesn't looks like cotton wool from 85 f/1.2 - its much much better - with soul inside Smile

Able to work under strongest conditions - holds well against flare and ghosting - a very good sample of this you can find here http://szche.ru/photo/68 - and that's almost direct sun!

Jul 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add iliko to your Buddy List
ciocc

Registered: Aug 20, 2007
Review Date: Jul 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, fast, light weight and sharp
Cons:
Demand a steady hand in low light for sharp results.

This is a very sharp lens. The focal length works very well on a 5D, but a little too long on a crop sensor. The bokeh is beautiful due to large aperture and long focal length. Colors and contrast are great too.

The drawback is that this lens need very good technique to perform well in low light when the shutter speed is low. Because the DOF is thin when wide open, you need a steady hand to get sharp results.

I give it a 9/10 build quality because it is not weather seal. There is no rubber ring at the lens mount area.

Jul 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ciocc to your Buddy List
AeroEight

Registered: Aug 12, 2006
Review Date: Jul 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great quality, good for low light, fast focus. sharp at f/2!
Cons:
a little long on a crop, hard to use in cramped room

to say this lens is great is an understatement. someone said stellar. and that is what it really is. Stellar. I have to admit, it is really hard use for me because i don't need this long of a lens, but when i do use it, i always remember why its there. its sharp at f/2 where i use it the most. previously on the crop body it was way too long, especially for indoor stuff [i'm talking about in a house, not a stadium/ concert, its great for concerts] But now on a 5d, it really shines. Great for portraits. Focus is the fastest out of my line up. definitely a keeper and when you think about what you're really getting out of the lens, its worth every penny on it.

Jul 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AeroEight to your Buddy List
Dalian

Registered: Mar 28, 2006
Review Date: Jul 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $930.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Easy to get GREAT results. Excellent lens. Must have for a Canon user
Cons:

All that is said in this forum about this lens is true. In my opinion, better image quality that the pro - 2.8 zoom lens. Having owned it for sometime now, still impressed by the results.

Jul 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dalian to your Buddy List
kendallkoning

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: Jul 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Contrasty, Great Bokeh, Good subject isolation, wonderful focal length for portraits.
Cons:

This is just a superb lens. After owning it for around 6 months, I was considering selling it to fund the purchase of some new gear. Then I went through my library picking out my ~25 favorite / best shots of people and 80% turned out to have been taken with this lens. It's not a lens I use all the time, but when it does find it's way out of the bag the results can be spectacular.

Jul 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kendallkoning to your Buddy List
sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Jun 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, excellent color, magnificent bokem, great AF, bigger than I expected, light weight, focus limiter, black body, sharper than my 85/1.8.
Cons:
none really, if I had to pick, bigger than I expected, huge hood. With hood on same size but lighter than my 24-70L, focus ring is large and kind of in the way (too easy to move focus).

WOW. I've wanted this lens for some time, it didn't disappoint.
Fast focus, sharp as a tack, beautiful color, great bokem. I got a great deal on this lens because the original owner wanted the 85L, so I help him out Smile. I have to watch my hand because I moved the focus ring when shooting it the first few times (First I thought it had a focus problem).
This lens was bigger than I thought, it's even bigger with the hood on. All in all I'm very happy with this purchase. My "L" curse has been fully broken...YEAH for me Smile

Jun 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List

Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM