Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

389 528502 Sep 25, 2013
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Weight 1.64 lb

Sayeret18

Registered: Apr 1, 2005
Review Date: Apr 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, bokeh, build quality, focusing speed - it can't get any better than this lens.
Cons:
It will spoil you.

Simply stated, I can't imagine there being a better lens in any respect.

Apr 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sayeret18 to your Buddy List
ckc11

Registered: Jan 29, 2009
Review Date: Apr 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp wide open. An instant classic. Solid build quality. Incredible value for an 'L' lens.
Cons:

A real gem on a FF body, deservingly one of the "holy trinity" of Canon primes. Fast silent USM and razor sharp at f2, why bother shooting it at any other aperture? Bokeh is amazing and same with the colour and contrast. Who needs zooms with this and its 200L brother. Black is much more inconspicuous too allowing you to get "the shot". Get this lens, you won't regret it.

Apr 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ckc11 to your Buddy List
Victor Go

Registered: Apr 13, 2007
Review Date: Apr 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, Lightning Fast AF, Bokeh is amazing
Cons:
No IS.

This is my lastest addition to my L collections. I have the 85LmkII, 300F4L, but this lens gave me the most satisfaction in terms of AF speed and the bokeh it generates. Color of the photos are also top notch on par with 85L.

I use this 135L mainly for sports, the picture quality gives you the feeling of a 400F2.8L or even the 500F4L.

If you are still considering whether to get it or not...I will say, don't wait any longer. Should have gotten this lens before the 85F1.2L.

Check out the image on http://www.shutterbug.sg

Apr 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Victor Go to your Buddy List
James Wei

Registered: Aug 12, 2007
Review Date: Mar 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp from corner to corner. Background bokeh pleasant. Autofocus is lightening fast. Cheap L prime to own.
Cons:
Not metal. Specular highlight performance poor. Low contrast wide open.

135L is my event photography lens. Very versatile with lightening autofocus speed. Dead on Accuracy and reliable optical performance.

It bokeh rendering is superb. Smooth and gentle. Occasional harsh edges in background bokeh. Its foreground bokeh does not have the same performance as background bokeh. The specular highlights are crescent shape which is a little dissapointing.

My Image gallery

Mar 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James Wei to your Buddy List
davidinjp

Registered: Mar 13, 2009
Review Date: Mar 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great contrast and colors, fantastic focal length for full frame. Best fast lens at wide open that I have ever used. Great price. No IS means better build and IQ.
Cons:
Nothing yet after 2.5 years of use.

I think this is my favorite lens out of the many I own. It is perfect on full frame cameras. After 2.5 years on my 5D and 5D mark II, I never leave this lens behind.

I neglected it for a little while after getting the 70-200 f/2.8 IS, but after a couple months when I went back to it, it blew me away all over a gain. Great for nature, landscapes, portraits and getting in close in urban shots. I often use it as a macro with tubes.

Some samples http://dave.jp

Mar 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add davidinjp to your Buddy List
Badmono

Registered: Mar 9, 2009
Review Date: Mar 10, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A sick lens - takes the sharpest photo's, with the best contrast & Bokeh imaginable - Everybody with a Canon body should own one, otherwise you really ain't getting the most from your camera. An absolute bargain - A must buy
Cons:
Don't buy one if you already own any of the 70-200 zooms - it'll make you spew when you see just how much better the shot's taken with 135 F2 'L' are in comparison to your zoom's pathetic 'Soft Focus' efforts

UltraSharp at F2 - so why use any any other aperture, I dont;-)
An absolute bargain - A must buy
Don't buy one if you already own any of the canon 70-200 zooms - coz it'll make you spew up when you see just how much better the shot's taken with 135 F2 'L' are in comparison to your zoom's pathetic 'Soft Focus' efforts only cost's half as much as the 70-200 f2.8 too!!!
Of course if you're a sad wedding photographer you'll need to hang onto your zoom:-)))))))))

Mar 10, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Badmono to your Buddy List
trajan

Registered: Dec 3, 2008
Review Date: Mar 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: high IQ, amazing bokeh, fast, light,
Cons:

This lens is amazing. It focuses very fast, it gives high IQ, it's sharp and with beautiful bokeh and colors. The only thing that can be negative is it's weird focal length: a bit too long for portraits and too short for tele.

Compared to other lenses: I prefer this one to the 70-200L, it's IQ is on par with the 85L. Although I prefer the 85L for portraits, the 135L works as well on full frame. Compared to the other lenses in the same league, 85L, 70-200L, 35L, 50L, the 135L is the cheapest.

Here are some shots I took with this lens:

outside, good light: http://highaperture.com/y/o/yoga/yoga-0.html
outside, ok light: http://highaperture.com/photos/p/o/pop_singer.jpg
inside, low light: http://highaperture.com/s/i/silvia/silvia-0.html

Mar 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trajan to your Buddy List
hmulders

Registered: Jan 23, 2009
Review Date: Jan 29, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, Compact Bokeh
Cons:
None so far but maybe the price? (I'm dutch you know)

Got this lens last week and made some shots with it.
It's really razor sharp. Brilliant Bokeh!
Blows away my 24-70 L but I suppose this is comparring Apples with Oranges?
The "disadvantage" of this is that gives you extra postprocessing because every small spot is clearly visible.
Specially with portraits.

In combination with my 5D it's a very nice combo. Not to heavy and easy to handle.
The sharpest lens I ever owned so far!

Jan 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hmulders to your Buddy List
mzemljic

Registered: Jan 25, 2009
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Jan 25, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast focus, fast aperture, compact, solid, nice combo with 1V HS and 5D
Cons:
Very nice lens if You already don't have 85 f/1,2 L II and 70-200 f2,8 L IS

In my personal opinion,
This is very nice lens performer, specialy in terms of sharpness and background diffusion.

Since I use my 85 f1,2 L II a lot and my 70-200 f2,8 L IS
I was hard to impress by new lens.

I must confess, I relied on hype and headlines of this forum community.
A must have, the beast, superb... These words are often told when someone mention Canon 135 f/2 L

Lets be realistic, It's a very nice and cheap lens (ONLY in US:(
if You're upgrading from a less quality consumer lenses. Then You will probably be frozen by image quality but, I strongly recomend it if You already don't have a super lens like 70-200/f2,8 L IS

So if You already Have 85 L and 70-200 L in my personal opinion, 135 L is very expensive one step wider, lighter and just a little bit sharper non zoom walk around lens.

Jan 25, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mzemljic to your Buddy List
jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Jan 9, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: f2 at 135 focal, fast, silent, accurate, and sharpness
Cons:
No IS.

I just bought this peace of lens although I have the 85 1.2 and dont regret it, they are totally diferent.

It is very sharp at f2 (sharper my 85 at 1.2 anyway), fast and you feel safe with it mounted on the camera.

Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Jan 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmraso to your Buddy List
HMZRHS

Registered: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Brunei
Review Date: Jan 8, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Fast & Light good for indoor,can beat 70-200mm F2.8 IS anytime.Good for potraits and catwalk.
Cons:

this is my all time favourite i hook this lens to my 1D MKII , really love the bokeh and the end results.. this what u expected from prime and L lens.Strongly recommended

samples hook to 1D MKII

Jan 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HMZRHS to your Buddy List
ComairCRJ700

Registered: Mar 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality - sharpness and bokeh. Light and relatively affordable.
Cons:
Could use IS.

A stunning companion to the EF 85mm f/1.2 Mark II when extra reach and compression is required. Another stunning people lens with extra implications for stage, sports and other forms of low light photography. The image quality (sharpess, bokeh, etc.) are all excellent. The lens is lighter, fast focusing, and a little easier to handle than the 85mm f/1.2. IS might be helpful in certain conditions but for the value and quality in this focal range it cannot be beat!

Dec 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ComairCRJ700 to your Buddy List
hatch1921

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Dec 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $915.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Isn't heavy IMO | Fast focusing | SUPER SHARP! | great color and contrast | truly a wonderful lens!
Cons:
Slight vignette on the 5d @ f/2.0 which isn't really a negative for me... I add one to most of my shots anyway. But others might think it is a negative.

I knew the moment I tried this lens last month I would have to own one. I've owned or own several L's and this one is exceptional!!!

I like the 85L (rented one a couple of times...shot friends) but I love the reach and compression you get out of the 135L. The bokeh/color/contrast/ sharpness @ f/2.0 and beyond are right there with the 85L. Where I think the 85 excels is being a little faster...of course the F/1.2 if you need it. But the AF on the 135L BLOWS the 85L out of the water.

On the 5D the lens is magic... love everything about it. Even the slight vignette at F/2.0

The bokeh is amazing and the images are very sharp wide open.

Buy this lens...don't look back.

Hatch

Dec 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hatch1921 to your Buddy List
Jo Dilbeck

Registered: Dec 20, 2007
Review Date: Nov 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, Bokeh, Bokeh
Cons:
Just wish it had IS

OK, I get it now. I just spent the afternoon with the 135 locked onto my 5D and I'm SO impressed! The 24-105 may never see the light of day again, especially since I have the 35 1.4 and 85 1.8 also!

The 135 F2 is all they say it is, and worth so much more than the under $1000 price. Maybe it's just because it's an overcast day and the fall colors are just popping, but this lens just isolates the subject so nicely. For me, it's better on a tripod because I have a slight shake to my hand, but it's ok because of the pictures you get. I also tried it with the middle extension tube (of a set of 3), and I may just replace my 100 macro with this lens.

If you are a tele person, and considering this lens, JUST GO FOR IT. I promise, you won't regret it. It may take a while before you "get it" like I did (I've had the lens for about 3-4 months), but once you do, WOWSA! I almost sold it a month or so ago and my husband, who knows nothing about photography except that this lens is one of the holy trinity, begged my not to sell it.

Nov 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jo Dilbeck to your Buddy List
Igor N

Registered: May 30, 2007
Review Date: Oct 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, light (relatively), large aperture does not affect performance much, great colours, contrast
Cons:
on the long side (physically), fixed focal length, expensive

I must admit that it a little bit misguiding to constantly highlight the indoor sport environment for this lens. I think its usefulness is much higher. For instance, street as well as nature (not landscapes necessarily) scenes become slightly easier to do as the long focal length allows you to stand back and not be in the scene. Portraiture is great with this lens as well as studio shooting (food for instance). The lens is super sharp but at f2 not too sharp for portraits, in fact it allows me to get the eyes so crystal clean. It beats lenses such as 70-200 f2.8 IS USM L hands down and it compensates for the lack of choice of the focal range with better size, weight as well as the fact it costs half the price. Give it a try.

Oct 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Igor N to your Buddy List
skibum5

Registered: Jan 20, 2005
Review Date: Oct 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $660.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness from wide open, incredible contrast and colors, tied for most accurately focusing of all my lenses, very sharp even used with a 1.4x TC
Cons:
can get a touch of purple/green around oof areas under certain circumstances

a realy fantastic lens, just amazingly sharp right from wide open at f/2 and fantastic contrast that makes colors seem incredibly rich and saturated. extremely accurate focusing, even at f/2 (this is no 50mm 1.4).

Oct 13, 2008