Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

392 543594 Nov 22, 2014
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25  next

vbacon

Registered: Mar 30, 2003
Review Date: Jun 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness, beautiful bokeh
Cons:
Haven't found any yet.

I love this lens! I was using other lenses (100-400 and 100/2.8) to shoot in this range. I was blown away at how much sharper this lens is and how much quicker it focuses. On my 10D I get excellent reach. I notice little or no degradation when adding the 1.4x. I feel like I got the 200/2.8 thrown in as a free bonus.

The only 'problem' is trying to shoot a lot wide open in action situations. You're dealing with a thin DOF which means an amateur like me gets a lot of out of focus shots. It's challenged me to get better at focusing in these situations. When you get the focus right, you get stunning photos. Or you can stop it down to 2.8 or 4 and still get very decent photos with a little less challenge.

I consider this a poor man's (well at $900 it's not really!) sports lens. I can't afford something like a 300/2.8 but this is a good compromise. At f2, you can even do indoor sports well while a larger lens (i.e. 100-400 5.6) just isn't fast enough.

Jun 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vbacon to your Buddy List
christo™

Registered: Apr 20, 2003
Review Date: May 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $840.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: F2 @135mm FL !!!, color, bokeh, AF performance, unobtrusive for such an FL
Cons:
none really

If you're into L class primes, I'd say this is the first "must have" in the Canon L line. As everyone says, the optics are fantastic in all criteria and the AF performance is as good as any in the Canon lineup, and that's not a slouchy lineup in the AF department.

If you're used to this FL on FF, you know what it does for head shots, and it's a regular portrait lens, with this model being the best in that FL I've used.

On a 1.6x, I found it just too long for most posed people shooting, but it makes a nice stealth candid shooter at outdoor events -- you are far enough away the subject isn't concious of the lens, and this lens doesn't attract anywhere near the attention of the Big Whites. It makes a heck of a big cage zoo lens on a 1.6x.

On a 1.3x, I find it useful for some nice shallow DOF headshot work outdoors, things like having all but one head in a group of people out of focus.

This lens with a 1.4x teleconverter is a nice lightweight fast 200mm, and still sharp enough.

May 25, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add christo™ to your Buddy List
Velu01

Registered: Aug 24, 2003
Review Date: Apr 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Sharp, Size,Weight...
Cons:

Such a fast and sharp lens.
I love the way, ya can "create" such nice bokeh. Lot's a glass !
Built quality is superb.
I'm very happy I finnaly managed to get this one !

Recommended highly !!!

Apr 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Velu01 to your Buddy List
Ray Soemarsono

Registered: Jul 27, 2003
Review Date: Mar 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image so sharp it hurts! Gorgeous bokeh.
Cons:

Rock solid build as what L lens should be. Fast AF. Brilliant contrast and sharpness even at f/2. Beautiful bokeh. No weakness at all. A true optical gem!

Mar 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ray Soemarsono to your Buddy List
Kris K

Registered: May 6, 2002
Review Date: Mar 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, color, clarity, size/weight
Cons:

Best piece of practical glass I own. Outstanding in all respects. Once you've tasted this in action, you'll never look at those expensive mid-range telephoto L zooms the same way. Sure, the zooms have their place, but when the results are critical, I always opt for the 135/2.0 and use my feet to do the zooming (where possible).

Mar 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kris K to your Buddy List
vince

Registered: Mar 18, 2002
Review Date: Mar 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, optics, AF.
Cons:

This is one lens which I consider having absolutely no negatives. The optics are absolutely superlative, the build is solid and AF is fast and silent (USM motor). It's because of lenses like these that I love photography ! Smile I find this a superb portrait lens on my full frame film cameras, and it also makes a great travel and walk around lens. It's black and discreet as opposed to some of the white L lenses. When I see my chromes on the light box, they never cease to surprise me.

Mar 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vince to your Buddy List
Philip M

Registered: Jun 4, 2003
Review Date: Mar 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $739.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything, just an outstanding lens.
Cons:

Of my entire collection of L glass this or the 300 2.8 are my favorites.
This is a great example of a lens with no faults. Great value!

Mar 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Philip M to your Buddy List
ed woo

Registered: Oct 28, 2003
Review Date: Feb 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Wow on image quality & contrast! Tack sharp!

Feb 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ed woo to your Buddy List
DougW

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Review Date: Feb 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $695.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb lens! It doesn't get any better than this.
Cons:

This is my first L lense purchase. What a fantastic lense! I bought it primarily for indoor sports, and the lense performance is outstanding. I didn't think there would be a lot of difference between 2.8 and 2 but there is. The focus is very fast, rarely ever hunting even in dim light. For a portrait lense, it does a great job too. However, because the image is so tack sharp, some may want to actually soften the image. I have not tried any converter yet, so I can't comment on the lense's performance with the converter attached. If anyone is looking for a prime at this focal length, this is definitely one to consider.

Doug

Feb 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DougW to your Buddy List
PickledEyes

Registered: Jul 29, 2003
Review Date: Jan 21, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $795.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp pictures, and excellent blurred backgrounds. Simply amazing optical glass.
Cons:
None noted

The Canon 135 f/2l is in a league of its own when it comes to quality. I have taken shots with this lens that were sharp to the tune of picking out individual panes of glass off Alcatraz Prison from beyond the Golden Gate bridge! And to boot it was handheld. The lens looks great on the 10D, and balances well in your hands. There is a lot of good glass in this remarkable prime. Get one, and you won't be sorry.

Jan 21, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PickledEyes to your Buddy List
AlexF

Registered: Feb 6, 2002
Review Date: Dec 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $775.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpnes, bokeh, speed, handling
Cons:

used both versions of 70-200 f4&f2.8 and replaced them with this lens.
Amazing sharpness and bokeh with an acceptable weight.

Dec 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AlexF to your Buddy List
wcbert

Registered: Jan 2, 2002
Review Date: Dec 9, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It is black, light, sharp and fast!
Cons:

This lens has become my favorite lens for capturing candid photos of people. My 70-200mm 2.8L IS was. But it is heavy, long, white and attracts to much attention. With 1.4x extender I have 188mm 2.8L lens and this combination permits me to take photos without attracting attention and the quality of the photos taken are on the same level as my 70-200mm 2.8L. I wonder if I got this lens first would have bought a 70-200mm 2.8L IS, maybe not.

Dec 9, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wcbert to your Buddy List
spartan123

Registered: Nov 9, 2003
Review Date: Dec 2, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons:

All a person can say is "WOW". The pictures are incredible.

Dec 2, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add spartan123 to your Buddy List
Lars Johnsson

Registered: Jun 29, 2003
Review Date: Nov 19, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very very sharp, fast, beautiful bokeh
Cons:

This lens is incredibly sharp, even wide open. Great colour & contrast. It's my favorite lens. It's probably the only lens that I never hesitate to use wide open all the time.

Nov 19, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lars Johnsson to your Buddy List
Richard Smith

Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Review Date: Nov 3, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Fast, Reasonably Compact.
Cons:

Complete agreement with all the previous reviews. My first 'L' Prime and it has not dissapointed.
Quite often carry this with the 1.4x TC instead of the larger and heavier 70-200mm.

Nov 3, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Richard Smith to your Buddy List
cristina

Registered: Dec 31, 2002
Review Date: Jul 14, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, VERY Sharp!
Cons:

This is one of my favorite Canon lenses. The AF focus is extremely fast; but its best feature is sharpness. It is excellent for pet portraits, where a lot of fur detail is required.
Absolutely love it !!!! I haven't used my zooms since I purchased it.

Jul 14, 2003