Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

390 535264 Jul 21, 2014
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25  next

Jay Ouellet

Registered: Mar 13, 2005
Review Date: Apr 4, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: -135+1.4X combo:wonderful -portable,sharp platform
Cons:

UPDATE: EF 135 f:2L
I recently brought along this lens with the 1.4X on a trip to beautiful Vancouver...I transfered my memory card to my Epson P-2000 card reader and viewer...it was immediately apparent how well this 135 +1.4X combo works.Wonderfully sharp and contrasty images in a light package.
Gotta remember:w/20D and other 1.6 sensors,your shooting with an effective FL of 300mm...so keep that shutter speed high.

Apr 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jay Ouellet to your Buddy List
Jia Wang

Registered: Apr 2, 2005
Review Date: Apr 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp, excellent bokeh, reasonably priced (for an L lens)
Cons:
A little heavy (but not something that's difficult to handle)

Before I got this lens, whenever I shoot portraits where I need this focal length, I'd be using my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO HSM. The Sigma does a wonderful job for me as well, but the weight is a bit of a let down especially when I need to handhold and shoot portraits for a long period of time...

I've not shot with this lens extensively yet, but the test shots I did with the 135mm f2L has been very satisfying...
I've uploaded some of my test shots at:

I'll post another review once I've shot more human portraits.

Apr 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jia Wang to your Buddy List
d10d

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Mar 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: fast and sharp!... great bokeh... 'comfortable' to hand-hold
Cons:
none really... (wish list - closer focusing distance... but i would say that about all of my lenses except the 100 macro, 17-40, and 28-75 XR)

This is a great lens that I am starting to absolutely love... I have slowly switched over to primes (with a couple of exceptions) and the 135 f2 another reason to do so... it is super quick and ever so sharp! The image results are stunning... at first i just noticed that images with this lens were 'different' (based on test subjects that i have shot with my other lenses)... when I got a chance to zoom in in post processing then I saw the difference!!...

I also find the size 'comfortable' to work with... it is on the larger side but a little easier to manage than the 200 f2.8...

I definitely look forward to getting better at shooting with this lens!

expensive... but highly recommended!

Mar 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add d10d to your Buddy List
jimyd

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Mar 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: this lens behaves and feels like a lens should. I cant fault this lens.
Cons:

Brilliant..better than my 300F2.8L...a tad sharper..not by much but. On a fuul frame digital camera this is the best walk around lens...street stuff

Mar 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimyd to your Buddy List
Jay Ouellet

Registered: Mar 13, 2005
Review Date: Mar 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra-sharp at all apertures,light,super-fast at f:2.
Cons:
Expensive

Just bought it.Absolutely first-rate optics.I need fast lenses which are sharp wide open.This complements my 200:1.8 wonderfully.As a bonus,it doesn't weigh 7 lbs...so I will be using this as my pick-up-and-go lens.A MUST for those demanding pin-point sharpness wide open...and highly portable.
I have only partially star-tested this lens,but so far I find no reason to doubt this is Canon's second sharpest optic,behind the 200:1.8.
Star Test:
Enlarging a star's image is the ultimate test one can perform on a lens.By taking 3 exposures: one in focus,and the other two inside and outside of focus.Then upon enlargement,check the shape of the Airy disk. It should be uniformly round,not eliptical.
Spherical and chromatic aberations on the 135:2 and 200:1.8 are simply outstanding.
By comparison, my 300:4L and 28-135 IS show significant spherical aberation.For example,the 200:1.8@1.8 reveals considerably more and sharper craters than the 300:4@4,despite having a 2/3rd image scale.
Both the 135:2 and 200:1.8 are very expensive but worth the money if you intend on producing large,detailed prints.

Mar 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jay Ouellet to your Buddy List
justruss

Registered: Jul 5, 2004
Review Date: Mar 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything. Color, contrast, sharpness, speed...
Cons:
zip, zero, ziltch

Not much to say really. One of canon's best lenses, up there with the 85 1.2, and 200 1.8.

Pretty much a razor at 2.0, thin dof, bokeh to die for.

Focues on a dime, great build. It's my benchmark lens.

Russ

Mar 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add justruss to your Buddy List
IraGraham

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Mar 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $830.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Excellent Color, Wonderful bokeh, fast focus, great contrast
Cons:
None, worth the price. To see the images quality will make you a believer in this lens. A must have lens for the serious portrait photographer.

Buy this lens, you will finally see what the big deal is about "L" lenses. This is the sharpest lens I have ever had with the best colors and contrast.

Mar 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add IraGraham to your Buddy List
Chris Procter

Registered: Jul 2, 2004
Review Date: Feb 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp - Sharp - Sharp Superb bokeh
Cons:

This has been my Fav Lens for a long while now.. I really like the way my pictures jump out at you, with the Superb bokeh

plus the its great for low light stuff, I like to take lots of street candids and this Lens is good for that, as its very stealthy - not like having a great white lens which is pretty unmissable
also combined with the Converters its a great tool

Cant praise it highly enough 'BUY IT NOW'

Feb 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chris Procter to your Buddy List
coreypolis

Registered: Oct 30, 2004
Review Date: Feb 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $830.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! Great colors and bokeh
Cons:
Really have to watch out for the small DOF at close range, a little long on the 1.6x's

Debated between the 70-200 F/2.8 and this, sure glad I got it. Its so sharp its ridiculous. Couldn't be happier, especially when I upgrade to a 1.3x from a 1.6x

Feb 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add coreypolis to your Buddy List
Kirk77

Registered: Dec 5, 2004
Review Date: Feb 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small Quick SHARP....SHARP....very good detail rendition.
Cons:
NONE.

Best valu for money in "L" glass...closely followed by 17-40L and 70 200f4L.
Top results from this piece lens. at ALL aperatures. I mainly use it @ 2 to about 4..and the consistent sharpness and clarity amazes me every time. Its a little crisper than my 300f2.8L.
I Love it.

Feb 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kirk77 to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Feb 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb bokeh, Very sharp @ f2, Superfast autofocus,even in low light. Big plus that you can attach extenders to this lens.
Cons:
slight flare when pointed towards the sun without the hood...easily fixed...use the hood.

I have had this lens before....5 years ago....kept it for a week used it and sold it to get the 70-200f2.8L IS.
I regretted selling this lens...it was superb, and i havent been able to get this quality from my other lenses.
I purchased a "Grey" version of B&H and it is every bit as good as the one I had 5 years ago. In fact I paid half the price for this one..and I am very pleased indeed....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Feb 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
joe mama

Registered: Oct 3, 2003
Review Date: Jan 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open, fast (aperture and AF), beautiful color, contrast, and bokeh.
Cons:
No IS version of it.

No doubt my favorite lens. Previous favorite was 35 / 1.4L. Not that you can use the 135 like a 35, but I'd rather take pics at 135 than 35 now! : )

Anyway, the lens is perfect all the way around. My only complaint, if you can even call it a complaint, is that there is no IS version of it. Yeah, I know -- waaah. But seriously, I do use it indoors (often), and even ISO 800 is still about 1/60 sec. Of course, there are ISOs 1600 and 3200, and yes, I do use them (a grainy sharp pic is better than a smooth blurred pic!), but honestly, IS would be so, so, so very helpful. Since Canon is seeming uninterested in an AS body like Minolta, they need produce an IS 135 / 2L *without* sacrificing IQ (image quality).

Costs too much, though. Yeah, you should get it, but why is it only $300 less than a 300 / 4L IS and $200 more than a 200 / 2.8L? Of course, if I'm gonna bitch about that, may as well drag that 35 / 1.4L into the discussion! : )

Oh yeah -- one more complaint: doesn't fit in my camera bag with the hood on. Misses by one inch. So the lens, or hood, should be an inch shorter! : )

Bottom line: get it. If you don't find it's for you, sell it for almost what you paid for it. If you don't get one, you'll never know what you're missing. Make sure you use it at f / 2 often, though -- that's what you're paying for!

Too long indoors? I think not!

Jan 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add joe mama to your Buddy List
mauriceramirez

Registered: Jul 16, 2004
Review Date: Jan 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00

Pros: Fast AF. Compact. Noticeably sharper than the 70-200L IS, and more useable in wedding photography's dark churches.
Cons:
Too long for meaningful photojournalism or portraits. Great for indoor sports shooters like volleyball or basketball, or stage photography.

Overrated focal length, even on a 1.3 crop. Very nice for traveling with due to it's small (relative) size, but I'd think twice before getting this lens again because I felt a little crass using it for street photography.

Also for portraits it compresses a bit too much, giving a removed, rather distant feel to the image.

I guess this is more a criticism of the focal length, because as a lens I suppose it's very nice. Well-enough built, light weight, ridiculously sharp, and extremely fast focusing.

Jan 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mauriceramirez to your Buddy List
glazier

Registered: Nov 27, 2003
Review Date: Jan 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $914.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The best lens I have ever owned. Super sharp with amazing bokeh.
Cons:

I bought the 135 F2 from B&H and will take advantage of the rebate.
After reading all the reviews here on FM I made my decision.
I highly recommend this lens.

Jan 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add glazier to your Buddy List
leuphrates

Registered: Oct 18, 2004
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Dec 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It is a reason to love photography!
Cons:
Don't let your expectations downgrade this gem!

First I was dissapointed when I was comparing the two photos from 135 at f2.8 and 70-200IS at f2.8 at 135 mm. Enlarged, there was very little difference. 135 seemed to be a tiny bit better. I was expecting a huge difference. It is not! But that little difference makes the photo a live window to reality. And after some shootings in the local opera house, the difference became more obvius, since 135 is still better than 70-200IS at f2. And the bokeh is much more pleasing at that aperture. At f4 the lenses perform nearly identical. At f5.6 they are identical wrt image quality IMO.

Afterall am I happy with my purchase? I am. I love this lens. Since I got it, it is my main lens on 1DM2. I try to shoot everything with it.

Tame your expectations, and get one immediately. To shoot with this lens is a love affair.

Dec 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add leuphrates to your Buddy List
CeeCee

Registered: Dec 6, 2004
Review Date: Dec 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $970.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This is a tack-sharp portrait lens...fast and also very usefull for candidshots. By fast I mean FAST....i believe this is as fast as they come.
Cons:
None - even price is a steal

Bring this lens whenever you go for a walk or do portraits in studio - will not let you down. Colors are beautifull and on the warm side.

Dec 13, 2004