Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

395 566487 Aug 9, 2016
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Maximum Diameter 3.3"
Weight 1.64 lb

perllog

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and vibrant colors
Cons:

Exceptional lens for the money .

Jun 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add perllog to your Buddy List
jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Jun 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color rendition, built.
Cons:

Best lens for portrait on a FF body (1Ds for me).

Never disappointed.

I do recomend it for this work !!!

Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Jun 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmraso to your Buddy List
acushla

Registered: Jun 10, 2006
Review Date: Jun 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This defines 'lens'. End of story.
Cons:
I saw somebody write: 'Not f1.2' I think CANON did this through design in order to keep both the weight and the price...down.' (chuckle)

Perfect.

I would like to add this: There were a number of people who stated that they did not think they would like this lens if they were using a 1.6 sensor.

Prior to digital my favorite lens for doing portraits in the studio was the NIKON Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED lens. Not liking the results I was achieving with the CANON f1.8 (another great lens) I went searching for something longer. 135mm translates to 213mm on the 1.6 sensor. As there was no other choice (I do not like zooms...the CANON 10 - 22mm EF-S being the exception) I went out and purchased it.

Good move. (Actually, I also read every review here...so...thank you.)

It performs flawlessly and I am able to achieve exactly the perspective I like and throw everything in the background completely out of focus.

Bottom line...if you are shooting with a 1.6 sensor and desire a great medium telephoto...this is what you want.

I have also used the lens outside and keeping the "ASA" (some learning never dies) at 100 and the aperture at f2.8 am able to get great results.

Jun 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add acushla to your Buddy List
John Daniel

Registered: Jun 6, 2004
Review Date: Jun 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Accuracy, speed, precision.
Cons:

I will be concise: This is a jewel rock.

John

Jun 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Daniel to your Buddy List
Denizen

Registered: Jul 4, 2005
Review Date: Jun 7, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $800.00

Pros: Hands down. The single best portrait lens you can have on a Full Frame camera.
Cons:
It can be difficult to resist using it wide open despite the narrow DOF. My girlfriend gets embarrassed when I put a little knit cap on it and take it on walks in a pram.

It feels a tad bit long (on 5D) when you first put it on but with enough room to work it quickly feels right.
The colors are rich and saturated, the images very sharp and detailed while still keep a magical sort of creamy, dreaminess to them.

For portraits this simply can't be beat and at less than half what you'd pay for an 85 1.2 I can't see why you wouldn't use this. (except on a 1.6 crop in which case I imagine this would be great for indoor sports or wild life ((although these aren't my forte)) ).

This is my favorite lens.
(Thanks Joe, you poor b*stard. :P)

Jun 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Denizen to your Buddy List
junlin18

Registered: May 18, 2006
Review Date: May 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great colour, fast focus, F2!
Cons:
wish it comes with IS, guess you can have it all.

Very good wide open
Become excellent from 2.8 onwards!

May 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add junlin18 to your Buddy List
keefer112

Registered: Apr 11, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $0.73 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast autofocus, decent low-light, inconspicuous matte black, sweet bokah, solid build
Cons:
Pricey, Inconvenience of Sneaker Zoom,

Labored long and hard over picking this up--it's almost worth more than the rest of my kit combined. But at the end of the day, I gave in, and am pleased with my decision. After shooting for a couple of days, I've ended up with a good number of shots that border on the magical. I guess I'm an L believer, or at least ascribe to the order of the One Thirty-Five. Amazing bokah, contrast, etc...optically unimpeachable. The only true qualm I have, which others may experience, is that you'll start to more notice the limited resolution of a Rebel XT--it just can't keep up. Time for a 6D, I guess, whenever that comes out.

May 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add keefer112 to your Buddy List
gpfmartin

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: May 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: bokeh, contrast, sharpness, size, length, price, build, low CA, min. vignetting, focusing speed
Cons:
It's not a f/1.2 (just kidding)

May 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gpfmartin to your Buddy List
cookielida

Registered: Jul 10, 2005
Location: Israel
Review Date: May 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Sharp, Sharp (Details and lots of them!), Color rendition, Fast, Buttery OOF background, Fast & Silent focusing USM, Huge Lens Hood
Cons:
Nothing serious - weight (750 gr! Lots of glass inside!) and Huge Lens Hood

Just wanted to say, that I am closing a circle here:
I planned to buy a cobo, the 17-40 f/4L and the 70-200 f/4L, but I was annoyed by the size and white colored 70-200 (why Canon, why white?! so everyone can spot the camera-man!?).
So, I looked for the equiv. of 200mm on a 1.6x crop body, and heck, I stumbled upon this gem here in this forum...and I want to tell you all, fellas, I read EVERY review (and there are lots of them here), and by the time I got to the last review, I already decided I gotta have this glass. My first L, and what an L at that!!
So, if you want a gem, save the approx. 900 USD and put it on the table for this baby. yeah, it would make you walk forward and backward, but MAN, once you take that shot, ha, only super feedback!
Me and my friend did a not too fair comparison with his 100-300 f/4.5-5.6, and even though the zoom was not such a sucker for the prime, from a mile you can point the L over the consumer/prosumer zoom...
Check it out here:
Crop 100% of Center frame:
Crop 100% of Side frame:
Take into account that these comparison was NOT performed at the same day (one day later actually), not at the same aperture and at a 1.6x crop (i.e. you see the sweet spot of both cameras, an advantage for the zoom over the superior prime but still...)
From here, people, there is no turning back - only L on my Canon bodies!

May 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cookielida to your Buddy List
tomasson

Registered: Mar 30, 2006
Review Date: May 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $939.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent in every respect... speed, contrast, sharpness, bokeh, and even price considering the quality.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

It doesn't get much better than this Smile

May 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tomasson to your Buddy List
lord_malone

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Apr 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $870.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, size, lightweight, black, build, focal range, bokeh, colors, contrast, close focusing switch, lens hood
Cons:
Nothing. It's perfect.

What can I really say about this lens that hasn't already been said? If you don't mind zooming with your feet, I would recommend this over any zoom any day. But if you need the versatility of a telephoto zoom, I recommend not getting this lens. This has got to be one of the sharpest lenses in the Canon prime line-up. For the price, what could be better?

Apr 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lord_malone to your Buddy List
Denizen

Registered: Jul 4, 2005
Review Date: Apr 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Gorgeous! Has that flattering sharpness that's hard to describe but impossible to miss.
Cons:
Seems to hunt a bit more than any of my other lenses.

Images are wonderfully sharp, with beautifully, buttery saturation.
Focal length would be too long for my tastes on a 1.6 crop, but on my new 5d, it's stellar!
I have found that it seems to hunt more than my other lenses, but again the 5d saves things handily. With the increased view finder, manual focus is easy and newly satisfying. Not to say that manual focus is that bad, but I do like to shoot in low light and that coupled with smoother surfaces would give any lens a hard time.
I might agree with the faster aperture comments that I've read, but honestly at 2 the depth of field is as thin as I could really imagine working with.
Doesn't really need to be repeated, but the 135 is a wonderful, wonderful lens!

Apr 10, 2006
Aberdeen Photo

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Apr 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent, buttery smooth foreground and background blur. Tremendous and true color. Very good sharpness at and near wide open and fantastic at 4 and 5.6. A truly great head/shoulders portrait lens on a full frame as well as a fantastic tele for indoor or outdoor sports applications on a 1.3x or 1.6x body.
Cons:
Difficult to be critical, but it would be even better if it were a smidge faster; f1.8. Can I get a truly solid hood, my 24mm TSE has one.

What an absolute gem of a lens. While others have mentioned and rightfully so, the sharpness of this lens, sharpness is not its most empressive feature. The brutally honest rendition of color and buttery smooth fore and background blur, set this fixed focal tele in a class by itself.
I have been at this art nearly 20 years, and while I love the world of digital, I have been mostly unimpressed with lens build and image quality, since putting down my finicky old Blad and 80 Planar and CZeiss portrait lenses.
However, I now have found a lens with more that reasonable build and truly impressive image quality. To those of you who are relatively new to this hobby or profession, sharpness is being attained by zooms by not only Canon and Nikon, but also third party types, the Sigmas and Tamrons. True, brutally honest color, is a criterion that splits the great and merely good. This lens has the color right. It also gives great blur, lesser lenses give good to poor blur.
This is a great FF head/shoulders portrait lens and on a 1.3x or especially a 1.6x body is a wonderful head only portrait lens and a great performer as an indoor sports lens.
A truly wonderful lens for less that a grand.

Apr 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aberdeen Photo to your Buddy List
caveman_lee

Registered: Sep 12, 2005
Review Date: Mar 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, fast AF speed, good contrast and color.
Cons:
None so far.

I have waited for this lens for a long time (always out of stock in Hong Kong). It is a wonderful lens. As mentioned by others, the 135F2L is one of the sharpest lenses of Canon. This one is a must if you are a prime lover.

The 135F2L delivers very good images even using my old 300D. Should have wonderful result if it is mounted on a 5D or 1D series body.

You may check out some of my below par shots using this lens from my gallery.

Caveman

Mar 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add caveman_lee to your Buddy List
corny

Registered: Feb 16, 2006
Review Date: Mar 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp at all apertures, fast focusing, great value for money.

Excellent lens.

I have used this for weddings, portraits with excellent results with 1.6 and 1.3 crop factors. I have also used the 85mm f1.2 and in my case get better results with this lens.

If there was a shaprness per rating this would be the best lens Canon make by some way.

Mar 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add corny to your Buddy List
rendra

Registered: May 21, 2003
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Feb 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, Nice color rendition, Relative small size
Cons:

The best lenses I've own so far. Terrific if you combine with fast body such 1v, 20D since you will not miss any shots those you like !

Feb 25, 2006