Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

390 535015 Jul 21, 2014
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Weight 1.64 lb

tkoet

Registered: May 12, 2006
Review Date: Jul 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Reference-level build, sharp images, wonderful colors, fast focus
Cons:

In almost 30 years of owning nice camera gear by Olympus, Nikon, Mamiya, Fuji and Canon, this is the only lens I've ever owned with no negative aspects of any kind. A must have. I think I gush for this item because at around 900USD, it's an astounding value as well.

Jul 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tkoet to your Buddy List

Review Date: Jul 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, Bokeh, Colours and so on and so on. This is my favorite lens
Cons:
None, wish every Canon lens was as good as the 135L

The colours, contrast and bokeh from this lens are amazing.
Not to mention TAC sharp.
Great lens for the money even if it was priced higher I would still buy it.

Dan

Jul 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
winman3

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Jul 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fast, accurate focus, sharp even wide open, short size, black
Cons:
none for me

This is an excellent, excellent lens. I agonized over buying this one or the 85mm f1.2, but settled on the 135mm.
Its focal length is a little longer than I envisioned on my 1.6 factor cameras, but one gets used to it. For this reason I use it mainly outdoors where it excells as a good portrait lens.
Since buying this lens my 70-200 f4 lens is getting minimal use.

This is a lens you will not regret buying despite its cost. It should give you decades of peerless performance.

Jul 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add winman3 to your Buddy List
Lani Kai

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent in every respect. Sharpness, contrast, saturation, speed, weight... As others have said, this is about as close to perfect as it gets. Although it is a bit of an awkward focal length on 1.6x (for me anyway) I still find myself using it whenever possible, even if that means stepping back quite a bit.

Jul 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lani Kai to your Buddy List
krobatshov

Registered: Jan 22, 2006
Review Date: Jun 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: weight, price, AF speed& accuracy,
Cons:
none...

Initially wanted to go for a 70-200 2.8 non IS after the f4, but then, however, none of my prefered sellers had them in stock.

I was given the chance to order it...and I'm not disappointed at all. 135mm may sound little...but on a 1.6x it's enough to get out the part of the pic you want to see.

At 2.8 it's slightly better than the 70-200 2.8 (non IS) -

No use talking about this and that: This is the perfect lens - IS is not really necessary, since you can use f2...and bump iso up...no big deal getting "enough" shutter speed to take pics

Jun 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add krobatshov to your Buddy List
whatcheer

Registered: May 12, 2006
Review Date: Jun 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: balance, bokeh, performance.
Cons:

Sharp, scintillating lens. You won't be disappointed.

Jun 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add whatcheer to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Jun 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $720.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect size/weight on 1 Series, Razor sharp from f/2 up, Corner sharpness is near center quality at all stops, Blazing fast AF, L build, Perfect portrait lens
Cons:
Nope no negative here...

After 5 years working w/ EOS camera bodies i just finally bought this lens...now im wishing i bought this gem years ago. I find this and my 85L are my primary workers now a days. I shoot mostly fashion so the focal length is just right on my 5D or 1D. Cant praise this lens enough!

Jun 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List
perllog

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Extremely sharp and the colors are vivid
Cons:

This lens is a must have

Jun 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add perllog to your Buddy List
perllog

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and vibrant colors
Cons:

Exceptional lens for the money .

Jun 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add perllog to your Buddy List
jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Jun 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color rendition, built.
Cons:

Best lens for portrait on a FF body (1Ds for me).

Never disappointed.

I do recomend it for this work !!!

Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Jun 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmraso to your Buddy List
acushla

Registered: Jun 10, 2006
Review Date: Jun 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This defines 'lens'. End of story.
Cons:
I saw somebody write: 'Not f1.2' I think CANON did this through design in order to keep both the weight and the price...down.' (chuckle)

Perfect.

I would like to add this: There were a number of people who stated that they did not think they would like this lens if they were using a 1.6 sensor.

Prior to digital my favorite lens for doing portraits in the studio was the NIKON Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED lens. Not liking the results I was achieving with the CANON f1.8 (another great lens) I went searching for something longer. 135mm translates to 213mm on the 1.6 sensor. As there was no other choice (I do not like zooms...the CANON 10 - 22mm EF-S being the exception) I went out and purchased it.

Good move. (Actually, I also read every review here...so...thank you.)

It performs flawlessly and I am able to achieve exactly the perspective I like and throw everything in the background completely out of focus.

Bottom line...if you are shooting with a 1.6 sensor and desire a great medium telephoto...this is what you want.

I have also used the lens outside and keeping the "ASA" (some learning never dies) at 100 and the aperture at f2.8 am able to get great results.

Jun 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add acushla to your Buddy List
John Daniel

Registered: Jun 6, 2004
Review Date: Jun 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Accuracy, speed, precision.
Cons:

I will be concise: This is a jewel rock.

John

Jun 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Daniel to your Buddy List
Denizen

Registered: Jul 4, 2005
Review Date: Jun 7, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $800.00

Pros: Hands down. The single best portrait lens you can have on a Full Frame camera.
Cons:
It can be difficult to resist using it wide open despite the narrow DOF. My girlfriend gets embarrassed when I put a little knit cap on it and take it on walks in a pram.

It feels a tad bit long (on 5D) when you first put it on but with enough room to work it quickly feels right.
The colors are rich and saturated, the images very sharp and detailed while still keep a magical sort of creamy, dreaminess to them.

For portraits this simply can't be beat and at less than half what you'd pay for an 85 1.2 I can't see why you wouldn't use this. (except on a 1.6 crop in which case I imagine this would be great for indoor sports or wild life ((although these aren't my forte)) ).

This is my favorite lens.
(Thanks Joe, you poor b*stard. :P)

Jun 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Denizen to your Buddy List
junlin18

Registered: May 18, 2006
Review Date: May 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great colour, fast focus, F2!
Cons:
wish it comes with IS, guess you can have it all.

Very good wide open
Become excellent from 2.8 onwards!

May 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add junlin18 to your Buddy List
keefer112

Registered: Apr 11, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $0.73 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast autofocus, decent low-light, inconspicuous matte black, sweet bokah, solid build
Cons:
Pricey, Inconvenience of Sneaker Zoom,

Labored long and hard over picking this up--it's almost worth more than the rest of my kit combined. But at the end of the day, I gave in, and am pleased with my decision. After shooting for a couple of days, I've ended up with a good number of shots that border on the magical. I guess I'm an L believer, or at least ascribe to the order of the One Thirty-Five. Amazing bokah, contrast, etc...optically unimpeachable. The only true qualm I have, which others may experience, is that you'll start to more notice the limited resolution of a Rebel XT--it just can't keep up. Time for a 6D, I guess, whenever that comes out.

May 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add keefer112 to your Buddy List
gpfmartin

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: May 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: bokeh, contrast, sharpness, size, length, price, build, low CA, min. vignetting, focusing speed
Cons:
It's not a f/1.2 (just kidding)

May 4, 2006