Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

395 542255 Nov 22, 2014
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Weight 1.64 lb

iclaudius

Registered: Aug 31, 2005
Review Date: Aug 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $890.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colors and contrast are second to none. Sharpness is still very usable at f2 (iso 1600) for poorly lit stage performances. Outdoors, it is extremely fast to focus and gives one a huge range of depth of field options. Need to explore all this lens can give you.
Cons:

I just purchased the lens for use in portrait and landscape photography with a 20d. I wondered about using the prime on a crop camera, however I find the lens very comfortable to use on a crop camera for both types of photos. Great for head and shoulders, or just head, and terrific for compressed and extremely detailed landscapes. I debated between this and 70-200is. I love the size, weight and solid build of this lens. I did use a monopod for the darkened indoor concert photos during my trial run with the lens, so not sure if that is a fair trade off vs the 70-200is which wouldn't require a monopod. On the other hand, the f2 aperture would seem to be the minimum necessary for much of my indoor concert photography and even that kicks in at iso 1600. For landscapes, I always use a tripod, so IS is of little use. For wildlife I use the 100-400IS. Sharpness at f2 requires little or no capture sharpening depending on scene and available light. The results are simply stunning. This lens deserves all the praise it gets. More primes?....

Aug 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add iclaudius to your Buddy List
zeljkito

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Aug 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, fast AF, F/2.0, hood included, built
Cons:
nothing worth mentioning, maybe lens hood is too big....

After reading post all over web, decided to get me one of these. I'll probably never regret it. This lens is super sharp, lightning fast AF, that can hunt sometimes, but this is the case only in abysmal conditions. At F/2.0 images are a tad softer, but still very acceptable, and logically DOF is very shallow. Color rendition is oustanding, bokeh also. Lens is not too big or too heavy, on tripod attached on camera balance is very good. Only thing that simetimes bothers me - hood is maybe too bulky especially in the bag and with the hood attached it's almost twice its size (almost as big as hood on 70-200/4).

Filter thread is also not too big (72 mm) and that makes appropriate filters very affordable. Flare control is top notch, I have observed couple of flare cases in extreme backliting and most extreme angles, otherwise, there is none. MF ring is spot on, size and grip wise, not to flimsy, not to firm, but it can be obstructed by hood (if it's on backwards), especially for those with bigger fingers...

With canon 1,4 extender works like a charm, giving 190/2.8 with only tad lower image quality wide open and almost as equal AF speed.

If you are considering it, don't, just get it. Or at least try it, I know you'll be heading home figuring out the way to explain your wife reasons why this is the lens you just despirately need (been there, done that) :-). Besides EFS-60 sharpest lens I carry in my bag and it NEVER stays home

Wishing you all good lighting

Zeljko

Aug 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zeljkito to your Buddy List
ISO1600

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Location: Korea, South
Review Date: Jul 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness is second to none, the AF is bitingly accurate, built like a tank, and easy to carry. Very well balanced on a 1-series.
Cons:
I guess the only stuff i can complain about is more of a wish- i'd LOVE this lens to be sealed.

If you're even considering this lens as a future purchase, just do it.

Jul 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ISO1600 to your Buddy List
Tetsuo

Registered: Aug 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very fast. Tack sharp. Light. Black.
Cons:

I read all the reviews here and quite a few elsewhere before buying this lens. I figured it would be sharp, but nothing could prepare me for what I saw when I put it on my 5D (bought at the same time) and started taking pictures. Even at f/2 it was razor sharp. It needs to be kept above 1/200 to ensure you don't get any softness in your images, but once that's in place you're in heaven. I cannot recommend this lens enough. Would I like to see an IS version of this lens? Of course. But I don't need it. I love it as it is. It's definitely my favorite.

Jul 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tetsuo to your Buddy List
Marshall4

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Review Date: Jul 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $869.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp and fast
Cons:

My favorite lens. Killer in every way.

Jul 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Marshall4 to your Buddy List
tkoet

Registered: May 12, 2006
Review Date: Jul 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Reference-level build, sharp images, wonderful colors, fast focus
Cons:

In almost 30 years of owning nice camera gear by Olympus, Nikon, Mamiya, Fuji and Canon, this is the only lens I've ever owned with no negative aspects of any kind. A must have. I think I gush for this item because at around 900USD, it's an astounding value as well.

Jul 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tkoet to your Buddy List

Review Date: Jul 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, Bokeh, Colours and so on and so on. This is my favorite lens
Cons:
None, wish every Canon lens was as good as the 135L

The colours, contrast and bokeh from this lens are amazing.
Not to mention TAC sharp.
Great lens for the money even if it was priced higher I would still buy it.

Dan

Jul 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
winman3

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Jul 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fast, accurate focus, sharp even wide open, short size, black
Cons:
none for me

This is an excellent, excellent lens. I agonized over buying this one or the 85mm f1.2, but settled on the 135mm.
Its focal length is a little longer than I envisioned on my 1.6 factor cameras, but one gets used to it. For this reason I use it mainly outdoors where it excells as a good portrait lens.
Since buying this lens my 70-200 f4 lens is getting minimal use.

This is a lens you will not regret buying despite its cost. It should give you decades of peerless performance.

Jul 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add winman3 to your Buddy List
Lani Kai

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent in every respect. Sharpness, contrast, saturation, speed, weight... As others have said, this is about as close to perfect as it gets. Although it is a bit of an awkward focal length on 1.6x (for me anyway) I still find myself using it whenever possible, even if that means stepping back quite a bit.

Jul 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lani Kai to your Buddy List
krobatshov

Registered: Jan 22, 2006
Review Date: Jun 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: weight, price, AF speed& accuracy,
Cons:
none...

Initially wanted to go for a 70-200 2.8 non IS after the f4, but then, however, none of my prefered sellers had them in stock.

I was given the chance to order it...and I'm not disappointed at all. 135mm may sound little...but on a 1.6x it's enough to get out the part of the pic you want to see.

At 2.8 it's slightly better than the 70-200 2.8 (non IS) -

No use talking about this and that: This is the perfect lens - IS is not really necessary, since you can use f2...and bump iso up...no big deal getting "enough" shutter speed to take pics

Jun 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add krobatshov to your Buddy List
whatcheer

Registered: May 12, 2006
Review Date: Jun 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: balance, bokeh, performance.
Cons:

Sharp, scintillating lens. You won't be disappointed.

Jun 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add whatcheer to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Jun 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $720.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect size/weight on 1 Series, Razor sharp from f/2 up, Corner sharpness is near center quality at all stops, Blazing fast AF, L build, Perfect portrait lens
Cons:
Nope no negative here...

After 5 years working w/ EOS camera bodies i just finally bought this lens...now im wishing i bought this gem years ago. I find this and my 85L are my primary workers now a days. I shoot mostly fashion so the focal length is just right on my 5D or 1D. Cant praise this lens enough!

Jun 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List
perllog

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Extremely sharp and the colors are vivid
Cons:

This lens is a must have

Jun 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add perllog to your Buddy List
perllog

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and vibrant colors
Cons:

Exceptional lens for the money .

Jun 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add perllog to your Buddy List
jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Jun 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color rendition, built.
Cons:

Best lens for portrait on a FF body (1Ds for me).

Never disappointed.

I do recomend it for this work !!!

Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Jun 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmraso to your Buddy List
acushla

Registered: Jun 10, 2006
Review Date: Jun 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This defines 'lens'. End of story.
Cons:
I saw somebody write: 'Not f1.2' I think CANON did this through design in order to keep both the weight and the price...down.' (chuckle)

Perfect.

I would like to add this: There were a number of people who stated that they did not think they would like this lens if they were using a 1.6 sensor.

Prior to digital my favorite lens for doing portraits in the studio was the NIKON Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED lens. Not liking the results I was achieving with the CANON f1.8 (another great lens) I went searching for something longer. 135mm translates to 213mm on the 1.6 sensor. As there was no other choice (I do not like zooms...the CANON 10 - 22mm EF-S being the exception) I went out and purchased it.

Good move. (Actually, I also read every review here...so...thank you.)

It performs flawlessly and I am able to achieve exactly the perspective I like and throw everything in the background completely out of focus.

Bottom line...if you are shooting with a 1.6 sensor and desire a great medium telephoto...this is what you want.

I have also used the lens outside and keeping the "ASA" (some learning never dies) at 100 and the aperture at f2.8 am able to get great results.

Jun 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add acushla to your Buddy List

Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM