Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

395 566518 Aug 9, 2016
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Weight 1.64 lb

mttran

Registered: Nov 3, 2005
Review Date: Feb 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything about the LENS that's supposed to be
Cons:

Others has said - just run and get it - highly recommend

Feb 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mttran to your Buddy List
Hpa11

Registered: Sep 30, 2005
Location: Russia
Review Date: Jan 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,045.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb! Sharp images, fast focussing, bokeh, quality build and black.
Cons:

I bought this lens after reading the reviews on this site.

It's my first L lens.

I use it to for headshots with my 20D. It's perfect for this application.

Highly recommended!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hpa11 to your Buddy List
Tony Kourlas

Registered: Jan 4, 2007
Review Date: Jan 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open, incredible bokeh, small and light (relative to a 70-200 f/2.8 that is), beautiful colours and contrast, lightning fast focus, good buy for the money (relative to other L primes that is).
Cons:
Would be nice if it was weather sealed.

I love shooting with this lens. It is one of Canon's masterpieces. Highly recommended.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tony Kourlas to your Buddy List
peeder

Registered: Jan 27, 2007
Review Date: Jan 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: All
Cons:
Squat

This lens can make a steaming pile of dogdoo look like a four-star meal.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add peeder to your Buddy List
MartyC

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Jan 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good resolution and contrast, great value
Cons:
no weather sealing

Jan 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MartyC to your Buddy List
Michael Watt

Registered: Jan 21, 2007
Review Date: Jan 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Beautiful background blur, Ideal for portraits on a full frame or 1.3 sensor
Cons:
No image stabilizer, Cost

This lens is a pleasure to use, especially for portraiture. Background blur is beautiful. However I find I have to be careful with focussing especially shooting tight under f4 and using this lens widest aperture of f2 demands careful focussing. At these apertures depth of field is razor thin. In portraiture even the distance between the nose and the ears is enough for auto focus to miss the mark which I normally centre on the eyes. I find I have to resort to manual focus in these tight situations and or stop down. If focussed correctly I find that even at f2 this lens is acceptably sharp. Two stops down to f4 and this lens is awesome. Highly recommended.

Jan 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael Watt to your Buddy List
nivenu

Registered: Jul 16, 2005
Review Date: Jan 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb! Very sharp throughout the range, excellent contrast with no trace of CA. Focussing is fast. Highly recommend this lens to those who can afford it. Those who can't...save up for it. You wont regret it!

Jan 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nivenu to your Buddy List
susi

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Jan 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $775.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Sharp, Black, light
Cons:
doesnt play MP3 :)

I bought this lens after reading the reviews and hearing about how fast it was. I also had just bought a 1DMKII and wanted to try out the fast shutter with a fast lens. I took some candids today of some kids riding dirt bikes, running..constant motion and this lens was right on with the focus and I was impressed with the results. I love the range also as it was not too limiting and could back up easily when I needed to.
I plan to try this for Basket ball next week and don't think I wil be dissappointed. The background blur is gorgeous and the images are sharp! Looks like a keeper to me!

Jan 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add susi to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Jan 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images, quality build, good in low light.
Cons:

Before buying this lens I checked out the reviews on this site. I only bought it 2 days ago but long enough to agree with the vast majority of posteers here. I was previously using a 200f2.8L which is also a great lens but when I moved from film to digital this lens became too long when using a 400D.
Excellent background blur...... great for portraits or sports.
Going from the 200L to the 135 L - the wife couldn't even tell I had bought a new lens :-)

Jan 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doug Vann to your Buddy List
Valerie S

Registered: Jul 11, 2006
Review Date: Dec 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $875.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness wide open, fast AF, price (relative to other Ls)
Cons:

I use it mainly for concert photography, but I also find other reasons to use it. I love everything about it. No hesitation in using it wide open, very fast AF, beautiful bokeh and it's fairly light. 10/10.

Dec 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Valerie S to your Buddy List
denopa

Registered: Dec 27, 2006
Review Date: Dec 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautifull lens (as an object); Fast aperture, sharp, fantastic colour rendition, very silent and fast focusing, discreet
Cons:
a bit on the heavy side, and the very large amount of glass make the lens impressive to the people you're trying to shoot - but that comes with the quality of the results.

I had to wait one month for Christmas to open the package... It was worth the wait. The lens is incredibly fast to use for close up portraits inside without flash, perfect for general portraits outside.
It's my first L lens, and the first prime I have since my Pentax non digital days, and I am truly amazed by the pleasure of shooting with it, and by the results. Especially on the 20d, with its rather dark viewfinder, the f/2 is a revelation.
This lens seems to like the colour blue. Blues come out very rich and deep. I can't really explain it - I feel for example that the 400 f/2.8 which I had the chance to shoot with some time ago likes green. For both it makes for very fair looking skin tones, without yellow or red tones.
Regarding the price I paid, this is the UK for you... Although I tried to buy it in NY last month and after taxes I was getting close to $1300.

Dec 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add denopa to your Buddy List
lenshead

Registered: Dec 5, 2002
Review Date: Dec 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $874.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast,great color.
Cons:
None absolutely none.

Man I love this lens. I had only shot with zooms until I bit the bullite and bought this baby. I really like it for shooting 10Ks and other running events. The pictures are superb, sharp, with beautiful color and great bokeh. This lens really performs and I also use it with a 1.4 tele which gives me a super fast 190/2.8. If you shoot action such as running events this is the lens for you. Currently I am using it on a 20D and it performs flawlessly. It you like primes and want the best of the best get this lens. I promise you will not regret it.

Lenshead J. Allen

Dec 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lenshead to your Buddy List
ryan aguas

Registered: Dec 7, 2006
Review Date: Dec 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: simply stunning
Cons:

I wish all canon L lenses will be as good as this one. This lens is the best canon lens, hands down.
Excellent Value for money-- for $800, you'll get the best 35mm SLR lens with IQ at par or even better than its astronomically priced siblings 400 2.8 LIS or 300 2.8 LIS. Nikon or any other 35 mm SLR lens manufacturer doesn't even come close.
Sharp all through out from f 2.0 -- no compromises on IQ and excellent bokeh for portraits or even full length shots.
Quick and Accurate AF -- with this lens, all my shots are 100% on focus thereby making also my most reliable lens.

Dec 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ryan aguas to your Buddy List
imopen

Registered: May 16, 2006
Review Date: Dec 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness also at wide aperture, build, af, bookeh
Cons:
only the price: if you can buy it, do it!

if you have enough money, buy it! it's a wonderful lens, you'll never regret your money!

Dec 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add imopen to your Buddy List
alfieri

Registered: Feb 25, 2006
Review Date: Dec 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: best Canon telephoto under $1000; very sharp with excellent colors and contrast; sharp at f/2; particularly wonderful on the 5D; great blokeh; extremely versatile; negligble loss with 1.4x extender; lightweight
Cons:
none in this price range; it can always be sharper, but then you're getting into the 200mm f/1.8L at $4000-$5000 and 6.6 lbs.

sample images and ramblings:

Dec 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add alfieri to your Buddy List
CarusoPhoto

Registered: Nov 30, 2006
Review Date: Dec 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $889.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, lovely bokeh, build quality, rich color
Cons:
It makes me wish all lenses were as good as it is

I was in the market to expand my prime collection. I had a rewarding experience with purchasing an 85 f/1.8 (a fantastic lens), and was interested in exploring the 135. After reading all of the reviews here (yes, every single one) as well as reviews on other sites, I got to thinking: can this lens actually be THAT good? A part of me didn't want to believe it. I wanted to think it was some sort of mass hysteria. But another part of me knew that such accolades aren't tossed so casually here. So I broke down and bought one.

And I haven't looked back.

I've been used to using zooms--and L zooms at that. I thought they were wonderful. I loved them. I never thought I'd want for more. However, this lens really drives home the difference between primes and zooms. The performance of the 135 is nothing short of stunning. I had read the reviews of people using this lens and then marveling at the results. I thought this was quaint, and a result of "lens placebo." But after seeing what this lens produced for me, I knew all the gushing was true. I then took comparison shots with this lens and my 70-200 f/4L. The results were quite convincing: sharpness and color produced by the 135 are definitely on another level than the 70-200 f/4L (and I won't even talk about bokeh because of the f/2 vs. f/4 difference). Since I bought the 135, I haven't put the 70-200 on my camera except to make the comparison shots.

Believe the hype. This lens is THAT good.

Dec 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CarusoPhoto to your Buddy List

Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM