Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

391 536841 Aug 4, 2014
ef135mmf_2l_1_

The Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of advanced amateurs and professionals. A ten element optical formula with two UD-glass elements serves to correct residual aberrations, resulting in superb sharpness and high image quality. It is also able to obtain superior background blur with the f/2 wide aperture. The EF 135mm f/2L USM is fully compatible for AF with Extenders 1.4x and 2x. A stellar portrait and available light lens.

f/Stop Range 2.0-32
Minimum Focus Distance 3'
Magnification 1:5.3
Weight 1.64 lb

jirok12944

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Mar 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $910.00

Pros: Solid build, Contrasty, Good colors
Cons:
Could not make it work :(

I've tried everything to like this lens. Used it few occasions for low light ice skating and many times bright outdoor. I suspected that the AF is not accurate and calibrated it at Canon.... but did not feel any difference after that. Still hit-and-miss at f/2 on 5D and 1D mk1. I don't have any good photo wider that f/2.8. It does provide excellent color, contrast, reasonably sharp at f/2. My copy softer at f/2 and /2.8 compare to 85mm f/1.8, even after calibration.

I compared it to 70-200 f/4L IS, and zoom outperformed 135mm in almost all cases.

In the end I do not think that anything wrong with the lens, maybe my technique of using it wide open not good,
but at the same time I have much-much better success rate with 85mm wide open. I came up with idea
that I better off using 70-200 f/4 IS and 85mm for low light.

I really tried hard to make it work, but unfortunately this lens is not for me. I won't give any rate to it, because I see that the lens is very-very good, it just not `my type`.

There's only one lens in my to-buy-list - 35mm f/1.4L. I hope it will like me, and really hope it will be one of my favorite.

Mar 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jirok12944 to your Buddy List
Common

Registered: Mar 20, 2007
Review Date: Mar 20, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Quiet, Very Very good Quality of Lense and Superb photo
Cons:
No, but 1.6X Crop is too narrow

I'd try it and love it, try it you may love it.

Mar 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Common to your Buddy List
Common

Registered: Mar 20, 2007
Review Date: Mar 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Silent, Very Very good Quality, Good Price => Greate One, I recommend all to try. It's a Canon's Master Piece.
Cons:
No, but 1.6X crop factor is to narrow for indoor photography

Please try one if you never try it.
Now I'm go with it without any others.
I really want Canon built better body to match with this lense.

For Canon: I'm your users for more than 30 years. Your lens always superb quality but not for the body. Please improve ergonomics design and user interface.

Strongly Recommend this lens for all photographers

I'm the one that try it and love it.

Thanks.

Mar 20, 2007
phidong

Registered: Feb 19, 2004
Review Date: Mar 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $625.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast focusing, great value for the money.
Cons:
None!

This is an amazing lens. I didn't think I would like it so much but after using it for a couple events I have become a believer. If this isn't a part of your kit, maybe it should be!

Mar 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phidong to your Buddy List
coorz

Registered: Aug 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,049.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Typical svelte L build. Discrete. Unbelievable bokeh & fast focus
Cons:
Makes me want more L's

To fund the 5D I sold all my lenses and kept only a 24-70L, so i needed something in the longer range. Based on reviews i got the 135L and it has not dissapointed me.
All that the praising below is true. This one's a forever keeper.

Mar 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add coorz to your Buddy List

Review Date: Feb 24, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $624.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: OMG so sharp lol very fast focusing, well balanced on my 20D not badly priced for an L lens either. perfect for what I bought it for
Cons:
I honestly can't find any just yet ha ha ha

if you want a prime for head shots then this is the beast to buy. sharp, wonderful colours and contrast with oh so sweat bokeh. people used to zooms may find it a bit long though

Feb 24, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
asimsoofi

Registered: Apr 25, 2006
Review Date: Feb 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super fast focusing. Super creamy bokeh. Colors are beautiful. Great construction. One of the best prime lenses you can buy hands down. This is also a great 'budget' lens to get if you can't afford a 200 1.8. Of course, not the same, but as close as you can get if working with a 1.6x cropped body (20D, 30D). This needs to be in your bag if you love primes. Oh, and this will stop you from ever buying a non-L lens as well. Once you go "L", the red ring will always call you over and over again...You have been warned.
Cons:
No weather seal, but if you don't shoot in the rain or a sand storm, it doesn't even matter. IS should almost be standard now and would have been nice, but the speed of this lens makes up for that nicely.

Feb 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asimsoofi to your Buddy List
Jerren

Registered: Oct 24, 2005
Review Date: Feb 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Feels perfect on my 5D. It feels like it was made just for that body.
Cons:
I want IS on all my lenses but I can live with out it.

I knew I would get this lens one day and the day has come. As soon as my bank account read that it was ready to purchase, I placed my order at B&H right away. That was a couple of days ago.

A couple hundred exposures later, I had to re-arrange my bag to have this lens on the 5D full time. It replaces my 70-200 F4L as my Full time lens. Now it sits off to the side of the bag.

I'm not a techy photographer and I'm not a pixel peeper. So I don't have any thing to say about CA, purple flares and any of that. What I can say, as I scroll through the pictures on my 5D, I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Not a fuzzy picture to speak of.

I had already made the decision to Purchase all L lenses and this lens makes it hard to look back to non-L glass. As others said, Stop thinking about the purchase and just buy the thing.

Feb 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jerren to your Buddy List
rick floot

Registered: Jan 15, 2007
Review Date: Feb 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very sharp, black, IQ
Cons:
not that versatile on a 30d

i use it on my 30d, with pleasure! Yes it is a bit long, and doesn't zoom but hey...i still love it!

chck my pics at
www.flickr.com/photos/flowtation

Feb 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rick floot to your Buddy List
mttran

Registered: Nov 3, 2005
Review Date: Feb 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything about the LENS that's supposed to be
Cons:

Others has said - just run and get it - highly recommend

Feb 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mttran to your Buddy List
Hpa11

Registered: Sep 30, 2005
Location: Russia
Review Date: Jan 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,045.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb! Sharp images, fast focussing, bokeh, quality build and black.
Cons:

I bought this lens after reading the reviews on this site.

It's my first L lens.

I use it to for headshots with my 20D. It's perfect for this application.

Highly recommended!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hpa11 to your Buddy List
Tony Kourlas

Registered: Jan 4, 2007
Review Date: Jan 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open, incredible bokeh, small and light (relative to a 70-200 f/2.8 that is), beautiful colours and contrast, lightning fast focus, good buy for the money (relative to other L primes that is).
Cons:
Would be nice if it was weather sealed.

I love shooting with this lens. It is one of Canon's masterpieces. Highly recommended.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Tony Kourlas to your Buddy List
peeder

Registered: Jan 27, 2007
Review Date: Jan 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: All
Cons:
Squat

This lens can make a steaming pile of dogdoo look like a four-star meal.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add peeder to your Buddy List
MartyC

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Jan 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good resolution and contrast, great value
Cons:
no weather sealing

Jan 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MartyC to your Buddy List
Michael Watt

Registered: Jan 21, 2007
Review Date: Jan 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Beautiful background blur, Ideal for portraits on a full frame or 1.3 sensor
Cons:
No image stabilizer, Cost

This lens is a pleasure to use, especially for portraiture. Background blur is beautiful. However I find I have to be careful with focussing especially shooting tight under f4 and using this lens widest aperture of f2 demands careful focussing. At these apertures depth of field is razor thin. In portraiture even the distance between the nose and the ears is enough for auto focus to miss the mark which I normally centre on the eyes. I find I have to resort to manual focus in these tight situations and or stop down. If focussed correctly I find that even at f2 this lens is acceptably sharp. Two stops down to f4 and this lens is awesome. Highly recommended.

Jan 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael Watt to your Buddy List
nivenu

Registered: Jul 16, 2005
Review Date: Jan 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb! Very sharp throughout the range, excellent contrast with no trace of CA. Focussing is fast. Highly recommend this lens to those who can afford it. Those who can't...save up for it. You wont regret it!

Jan 17, 2007